z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

What You're Worth

by Rook


You make sure never to
step on an ant,
because they’re royalty
in your eyes.
You liken yourself to dirt.
No self-worth,
no self-confidence.
No self-esteem.
Whatever you might call it,
you don’t have it.


But to me,
you are worth a billion diamonds
and more.
You’re worth everything.
The world.
You’re worth
my most prized memories,
the kind I take down
off the shelf
to stare at every now and then.


You’re worth a happy future,
if we continue this way,
which is more than anyone.
could ever ask for.
You wouldn’t believe
what you’re worth
to me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 am
veeren wrote a review...



Yo, fortolo.
I'm not the biggest poet, but I'll give you my honest opinion on the piece.

This was just great. A lot of people can connect to this on a personal level, thinking lowly of themselves while others see them as treasure. It seems kind of cliche, but at the same time it's entirely relatable.

They way you describe both points of view makes it even better. You get how one side feels compared to the other, and the contrasting ideas are brilliantly shown. Though this could've been done a bit better by literally having two points of view. It would allow you much more room to work and flesh out the piece. But hey, that's just my opinion ;)

Spoiler! :
to stare at every now and then.


See now this line was absolutely amazing. The sense of nostalgia one can get from this is unbelievable. I think everyone has something they cherish, whether or not they use it all the time. But the emotion one feels when picking up an object with so much memories is indescribable.

But before I continue rambling, good job. I loved the poem.
Keep up the good work and don't judge me on my terrible poetry reviewing skills.




User avatar
115 Reviews


Points: 9790
Reviews: 115

Donate
Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:21 am
ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...



Change here to review! :)

You liken yourself to dirt.

This is a great line, very real and raw.

You’re worth
my most prized memories,
the kind I take down
off the shelf
to stare at every now and then.

This is great. Not only do I get a good image and visual from this, but I can relate. I think our relationships with people are completely made up of the memories we have with them and of them, which we store in our minds to reminisce about and smile at when they're not around. This is a great analogy to use when referring to that, because in a way our minds are like shelves (if we're good enough to organize them ;)

which is more than anyone.
could ever ask for.

Should there be a period after this first line? I was thinking it shouldn't be there. Just curious.

You wouldn't believe

This is an important line to have put in there because of the fact that it reminds the reader that the poem started with all the ways this person doesn't like his/herself. It's not just a love poem, it's a reassurance of this person's worth to at least the narrator, and that's important to the overall meaning so it's good this is slipped in there.

I liked the poem, it had a good concept. It was real and easy to relate to from both the self-deprecating side and the reassuring side of the relationship. I think it could have had more meat to it though. I would have liked to see more of the ways this person hates his/herself and, in turn, more of the ways the narrator loves them because of all that. I'd be interested in reading a longer work.
Good job! Keep it up!





Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy