The Misadventures of Nicky and Lanni, Part 1

by Rook.

THE GREAT ESCAPE

Nicky grinned devilishly as he stuck the hairpin in the lock of his cell door, he smiled even wider as it opened. FREE..HE WAS FREE. Now..to get Lanni, they needed to asemble the forces and raid the other side.

Lanni was busy getting her things together and fighting with herself.

"We woulnd't be here if it werent for your brilliant decision to join the other side. If you werent mys siter, Iwould shoot you dead right here!"

"You'd die without me, whore..."

"Nah. I'd lvie on, happily knowing I had donemy duty. Now shut up and help me pack. We're getting out tonight, adn I'M going to raid the otherside. YOU can go whereever you bloody effign want too..." Lanni turned around and looked at teh door as it opened.

Nicky was on his knees, eyes wide like a hawks as he looked around for any enemy gaurds. "Lanni..the cost if clear..come on quickly". He opened the door more and then did a forward roll to the other wall, pressing his back against it. He peared around the corner.

Lani ducked her head out, looked around, tehn withdrew her head. When she acme out, her head had a nmakeshift bandana on it that looked suspiciously like a helmet wantobe. She rolled and landed with her banck against teh wall, then crept across the hall and took up a position ahead of him, peering around the corner to see if the coast was clear. It wasn't a lone guard walked slowly down teh hallway, checkin in each cell as he came down. his keypass hung from a chain at his side.

Nicky looked at the gaurd, and then to Lanni, then back to the gaurd. He mouthed at her - I'll take him down..you get the card key and then I'll hide the body. He then gestured to go. He leapt from his corner like a wild cat, smacking into the gaurd and sending them both flying to the floor with a crash.

"why does he have to smack like a fucking girl?"

"I don't know...but lets get the key while he does..soemthing...with the body."

"Right!" Lanni darted up and grabed the key, giving the guard a good jab in teh neck with her shoe, then grabbed his gun and walkie talkie as well.

Nicky wrapped his arm around the gaurds neck and held him in a submission hold, he cut off the blood going to the poor gaurds neck, soon the guy was unconcious. Nicky dragged the body and threw it into the cleaning closet. "Lanni". He whispered, he then jumped at her and on her, sending them both slamming to the ground. "I can hear gunfire". He said, looking up as if to see his IMAGINARY gun fire over head. He was laying ontop of her, hands by her head, legs either side of her waist.

Lanni's eyes went wide, adn she froze, lookign up and seeing the imaginary gunfire as well. "We should vacate the area to a safer location." She whispered, then flipped around to her stomach with Nicky still over her, and started crawlign on teh ground.

Nicky nodded and rolled off of her and then next to her, crawling beside her aswell, looking around to make sure there were no snipers. "The stairs are up ahead, no doubt they'll have snipers on the rail, we should maybe get some form of sheild". He looked around, he then saw a large EXPENSIVE painting at the end of the hall, it was of the old head gaurd who had passed away. "Perfect". he jumped and grabbed the painting. "WE MUST RUN". He screamed, waiting for Lanni to get up and then charge at the stairs with the painting as a cover.

Lanni ran behind him, holding the walkie talkie gingerly in one hand, she thought it was a grinade, and the unloaded gun in the other.

Nicky ran at the stairs, holding the painting infront of them. Their imaginary gun fire bounced off the painting and shot holes in the floor around them. Holes, obviously, they could only see. "We're going to make it". As they got to th stairs Nicky threw the painting down and watched as it took out the imaginary snipers. "GRENADE"! He yelled at Lanni, she would finish them off with that.

Lanni twisted the walkie talkie on and to speak, accidently, adn threw the 'grinade', then ran like hell up the stairs.

Nicky nodded and darted up the stairs as well, as they gotto the top he jumped along side lanni and rolled, putting his fingers over his head as if to block out the sound of the exploding grenade.

Don looked at his walky-talky, then to Frankie, then back to his walkie talking. All he could hear was someone or some people making explding noises.

Frankie looked at the walkie talkie curiously, then lsitened.

Lanni stopped three steps from the top and looked back, waiting for Nicky. "what the hell are you doing? you can't wait for him!"

"Yes I can! I have to wait for my fellow soldier!"

A sigh. "that is why I switched side, dumbo."

"Oh shut up maggot!"

Nicky got up and ran to the top, ooking back."I think we're being chased". he screamed, running past Lanni, arms waving crazily.

DOn's face went sour as he listened. "Do you know these three"? He held the Walkie-Talkie at Frankie, he'd been working here longer than him, maybe he recognised the voices.

Frankie listened to teh fading voices. he groaned as they registered in his mind. "Oh my god, I used to room with one of them...and the other is his best friend."

Lanni smiled adn ran through the door, then started to get frekaed out because soemone was runnign after her, yellign crazily.

Nicky ran after Lanni, like a mad person who wanted to kill her. He then realise dit was Lanni's sister running infront of him. "BITCH..WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH LANNI"? He ran after Lanni's 'sister' waving his arms around.

Don looked at him."Who are they..and why were the making weird noises".

Frankie shook his head. "It sound slike they are ont eh stairs." He jogged towards teh stairs, dragging Don with him by his good arm. "They are medicly released soldiers... if that tells you anything at all."

Lanni's sister panicked and ran faster. "Lanni! someone's chsing me!!!"

"It's not my fault nicky hates you."

"Lanni you bitch!"

"sorry..." Lanni stopped runnign adn pressed erself against teh wall, lookign up and down it, tehn peeked around the corner.

Nicky charged and jumped on Lanni's sister, throwing her to the ground. "GOT YOU". He held her by the shirt and glared daggers at her. "Where is Lanni"? He shook her violently.

Don ran with them. "Ah..ar ethey dangerous"?

Frankie laughed. "when they think they are still in teh war, yes."

Lanni reached up and slapped Nicky's cheek. "Get off me, Nicky! I AM Lanni! my sister ran ahead like the traitor she is."

Nicky fell back, well rolled back onto his butt as he was slapped. He held his red cheek. "Oh...sorry...we should just leave her". He got up, he heard people coming, he got readdy to shoot them, his imaginary gun held tightly in his hands.

"Ok..". Don got out his taser and gun, he nodded at Frakie to get a weapon aswell.

Frankie shook his head and smiled to himself.

Lanni stood up and dusted herself off. "I quite agree. Since she ran downt hat hall without investigating it, she'll get caught, so lets go straight. It's all clear." She nodded matter of factly.

"I can hear people". This time he was actually hearing people, he could hear Don and Frankie come down the stairs towards them. "LANNI QUICK GET READY TO FIRE". Nicky spun aiming his imaginary gun in their direction. He then began to make gun shooting noises.

Don jumped at first, thinking he had a real gun, he then raised an eyebrow at this strange man pointing his finger at him and saying 'pow pow and bang' over and over again.

Lanni stood a little back from him, pointing the actual gun she had taken from the guard at the Frankie and Don, backing Nicky up. Her voice showed off soem worry. "They aren' t falling, Captain. I think we should call a reatreat. I see an exit behind us a little bit."

Don instantly charged forward, he grabbed Lanni's wrist and disarmed her, though albiet with some trouble since he only had one arm.

"GET OFF LANNI". Nicky jumped on Don's back and attached himself to him.

Lanni punched Don in the nose, making him drop his gun as well. She scooped one of them up and held it at Frankie. She looked at it curiously for a moment, for it felt heavier than the other one, and then back at Frankie. She scooped the other one p and shouted a t Nicky to get off of Don.

Frankie realized she had the loaded gun and put his hands up, kicking the back of don's leg to get him to do the same thing.

Don was on his knees being chocked by Nicky. He grabbed the gun and smacked Nicky in the face with it causing the man to fall backwards. He spun and aimed the gun at Nicky while Frankie had his at Lanni."Nicky was it..I suggest you stay down..soldier".

Lanni clicked the safety off, hearing once again the satisfying sound of a loaded hand gun. She sighed happily, closing her eyes briefly, tehn aimed teh gun at Don. "Drop the gun and back away from Nicky." she said, ehr voice steely.

DOn looked at Lanni, and then to Frankie, he really didn't want to play their game, but since they thought they were in a war he'd show them enemy reactions. He grabbed Nicky and held him like a shield, Nicky thrashed but was held by Don tightly. "You want to shoot me, you'll have to shoot your friend here". He hoped Frankie had a plan.

Frankie was blank. He just shot a look at Don adn shook his head.

Lanni's eyes darted back and forth between Don adn Frankie, then Don and Nicky. She took aim at Frankie. "You only have one good arm, and Frankie darling is useless... Let. Nicky. Go."

"No... I may only have one good arm..but I've got your little boyfriend here as a shield..go on...shoot". Don smirked, as if daring her on, taunting her, knowing that anger blinded people, and all he needed was an opening.

Lanni's brief moments of sanity suddenly left her and she returned to her old self.

"I told you that you were going to get caught, bitch."

"Oh shut up! We are not caught until we are backin out ce..." Lanni collapsed on teh floor, unconsious with Lou withdrawing a needle from her shoulder. She rolled her eyes at Frankie and Don. "You two are hopeless."

.....................

Lanni walked over to Nicky in the rec room. "So that was a flop..." She sighed dejectedly and flopped on the floor beside him.

Nicky was hugging his knees to his chest, pouting into them as he rested his head on them."I know... we didn't even get half as far as we did last time... I think they've got new agents". He looked up, deadly serious.

Lanni nodded, eyes wide. She scooted closer to Nicky so she was sitting almsot on top of him. She whispered inhis ear. "That one guy looked like your room mate Freddy..."

Nicky looked at her, realising she was right. He didn't really mind about the closeness, there was no one else in the room, according to them obviously, the room was infact filled. "You're right..he's...betrayed me". Nicky looked ready to burst into tears.

Lanni hugged her comrade in arms. "It's alright Nicky. We'll show him next time. Let's start plannign now! They will NEVER expect us to escape so soon!" her eyes went wide as she looked around the room suspiciously.

"YOU'RE RIGHT". Nicky said, his face being hugged into Lanni's chest, he continued to speak, voice muffeled by her hug. "We should mayeb go to the roof and have them call a helicoptor in..ARIAL SAVE..THEY WONT KNOW WHAT HIT THEM!"

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:14 am
Jay wrote a review...

Hi, welcome to YWS! We have a policy that you have to review two pieces for every bit of work you submit, so you have to do 2 reviews to catch up.

First off, spellcheck is your friend. I suggest you edit this-it would make it much easier to read.

I really liked the action pacing here-very entertaining. I was a little lost because I don't know much about the characters, but it is only the first couple of pages, and this is a fast-paced scene.

This is a promising beginning with a unique premise-there is potential for it to go a lot of places from here. I want to learn more about the characters now, and see more interaction between them.

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox