z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Vampire in Stockholm

by Rodionandaxe


With eyes closed
and lips slightly parted
I took whiffs
of your cherry iron elixir

My own hands and legs tied
ropes digging into my flesh
Alas! I am numb
my mind's all a blur

Oh! Sweet, sugar sweet
My darling

let me taste thy blood

Oh! Beautiful, gentle maiden
just a sip

that'd be enough

Oh! Sweet, sugar sweet
My darling

Is this what they call love?

Oh! Beautiful, gentle maiden
just a sip

to satiate my thirst


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
286 Reviews


Points: 625
Reviews: 286

Donate
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:07 pm
View Likes
silented1 says...



Love this theme and style! So halloween.

The repetition works well, gives a creepy feeling.




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:17 am
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

I enjoyed this poem! I think it was a really chilling but delightful poem. You did a really nice job of building up the narrator's voice and showing the feeling in it. The small archaic touches were great at showcasing the presumed immortality of the narrator, and overall it had a great sense of ambiance to it. Nice work!

One thing I think you did a nice job of was conveying the yearning in the narrator's voice. I loved those last four stanzas; the repeated variations of the italicized beginning really solidified the utter longing in the narrator. It almost had a chorus like quality to it, like this is a song. Combined with the rich images of the first two stanzas (I adore the "cherry iron elixir" line), you manage to create a sense of desperation that is completely evident while still maintaining the finesse that comes with often glamourized supernatural creatures like vampires.

The one thing I did notice was the flow of the poem. I'm not sure if this was intentional, but I really enjoyed the slant rhymes/assonance at the end of the third, fourth, and fifth stanzas with blood/enough/love. I think this created a really nice rhythm. Then, at the end, I was almost expecting you to do that again, since you start the stanza with the italicized "oh" as well. It felt a bit unsatisfying to end on "thirst" since it didn't really blend with the established (whether accidentally or otherwise) rhyme scheme. I was also a little confused about why the narrator would be tied up. It seems like they held the position of power throughout the poem, which felt at odds with that one line. It also made me confused at first, as I was slightly unsure whether this was from the perspective of the vampire or the maiden.

Overall: nice job!! You built the environment of the poem really nicely, and I think you did a great job of emphasizing the narrator's thoughts and emotions. I really enjoy slightly spooky stuff like this, and this poem definitely lived up to expectations. I hope to read more of your poetry on here someday! Until next time!!




Rodionandaxe says...


Thank you Plume for the lovely review!! Your insights were really helpful <3

As for the narrator/vampire being tied up, it's because they are kidnapped by this maiden. They are suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Hope this clears it up a bit.



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 421
Reviews: 129

Donate
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:34 pm
View Likes
yosh wrote a review...



Yikes . . . what a chilling poem! Your use of repetition, specific capitalization, and italicism were very nice touches. Honestly, I'm very impressed!

With eyes closed
and lips slightly parted
I took whiffs
of your cherry iron elixir


Great opening stanza. I think it's interesting how you removed the subject from your first line, and instead kept only the predicate.

(And what exactly is cherry iron elixir? Just curious.)

Oh! Sweet, sugar sweet
My darling
let me taste thy blood


Here, it starts off as a pleasant line, ending with a much less pleasant declaration to taste the 'darling's blood. I really like your rhythm scheme for the final stanzas. The three lines, plus a short middle was really easy to read, and as a poetry reader, easy-to-read poems are very refreshing.

So, now, to analyze the poem.

I guess this poem is referring to a vampire, considering the title. The first two stanzas descripe the vampire as being captured, or at least stopped in some way (if the ropes were metaphorical.) Either way, the vampire is forced into a situation to beg for the blood.

The vampire begins to implore to the maiden, and in the last stanzas, the vampire starts increasing in intensity, claiming it is love, and that is sufficient enough. The way you wrote it sent a shiver up my spine, that's for sure.

Great poem! I'd love to see similar works from you in the future.

-crabe yosh




Rodionandaxe says...


Thanks a lot for the detailed review InuYosha :D

Blood is referred to as cherry iron elixir in the first stanza.




Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain