z

Young Writers Society



HAMSTRING: A FABLE IN MANY PARTS

by Rincewind


First things first lads n lasses, I would like to give a quick sum-up of what the Hamstring series of stories entails (no pun intended).

Quite near the beginning of time there was a great flood and three of each species of animal were taken aboard fleets of barges and arks. There was one male, one female, and one magical.

Each magical animal was in charge of a certain aspect of magic on Earth, and in co-operation they witheld peace, and serentiy on Earth by manipulating the natural magics within its core.

Upon a magical animal's death, the first animal born of the same species closest to the time of the death of its sucessor would therefore be born magical. It was as simple as that.

Everything was going along swimmingly. That is, until the kind old human wizard TripTik Flotesyerbote died of natural causes at the ripe old age of five thousand and three.

The next human who happend to be born just as TripTik died was an evil and bratty little being.

As soon as a magical animal reaches the necessary age to understand the concepts of magic, Dramsquatch the mouse wizard comes and apprentices them until they are capable of wielding magic independantly.

The evil human wizard turned his back on Dramsquatch upon realizing his power, and from that moment on swore to achieve absolute and unchallengable individual superiority....In other words... To take over the world.

The evil human wizard (whos true name has yet to be discovered) started using his magic to travel back in time and alter what it is we see as reality. His goal in doing this was to eliminate the power of the animals and be the only magical being left on earth. Sure the weight on the universe is on his shoulders, but its was a small price to rule it all.

He knew that he could not simply kill the wizard animals, because another would just be born. So he decided to, instead of stopping magic at its source which was impossible, erase magic from history altogether.

He invented things like religion, and politics, and the concept of countries and borders to skew peoples minds from the simplicities of life, and to create excuses for occasional slips in magical things happening (miracles, Noah's Ark).

But the Earth was dying. The things the evil wizard created spawned new technologies, and soon the magic of the earth, and the core in the centre itself threatened to implode.

Our planet, sensing its ultimate demise, decided to intervene in life on Earth finally, once and for all. It sent the rest of the magic in its core rushing in tiny partlicles through waves of unseen power to stop only when it found the newest born magical creature.

That creature happend to be a kitten named Hamstring.

Magic as we know it is nothing more than smoke and mirrors - and wires, and cards, and knives, and boxes, and beautiful women if you really want to get into it. But still it is nothing more than mere parlor tricks.

What if i was to tell you, that even as you read this, the Earth's animals, some seperately some collectively, are uniting to battle the evil human wizard and bring magic into the world.

Follow Hamstring, the prophetic leader of the pilgrimage to, after so long, bring magic back to Earth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first chapter of the first book of Hamstring books has no magic or fantastical events in it. But do not let that turn you off. The chapter is meant to get to know Hamstring, and set the tone for the rest of the series. It introduces the aleegory and fable style of the story, as well as the second party narration which will pop in to help explain the story since animal minds can not comprehend everything that we humans can.

So relax, and learn some of life's most important lessons with some irresitably charming, and complex characters, who just so happend to be, for the most part, covered in fur.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 7715
Reviews: 522

Donate
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:23 pm
canislupis says...



good idea, well presented.




User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 127

Donate
Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:03 am
Rincewind says...



Shameless bump.




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 176

Donate
Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:36 pm
Muse says...



oh wow, sounds ace! Yes, Parump is a great name for a pig. Right off i go to read the first part. Woooo.




User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 127

Donate
Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:44 am
Rincewind says...



Thanks Rei.
It was either that, or Gordy ;)




User avatar
685 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 685

Donate
Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:31 am
Rei says...



Parump sounds like a fantastic name for a pig.




User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 127

Donate
Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:15 am
Rincewind says...



haha, Cat-Chow! How about Parump? Seems like a rolly-polly sorta name, hehe.

It most definately will be humerous. And if not humerous, than at the very least CUTE.

...Just wait 'til you see the hippo riding a dung beetle.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 1160

Donate
Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:41 am
Elizabeth wrote a review...



Quite near the beginning of time there was a great flood and three of each species of animal were taken aboard fleets of barges and arks. There was one male, one female, and one magical.

Ah, the Unchristian Noah's Ark. God, you gotta love it ;)

I love the idea of it all. Question: will it be humerous? because the idea of a kitten is sort of... how do I put it in terms my age.... FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! I mean, hilariously original :D. I love the names you gave yoru characters, they are very original as well. So what did you name a magical pig? Cat-chow? :P I'm just pulling your leg. Great stuff.




User avatar
685 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 685

Donate
Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:13 am
Rei wrote a review...



Great concept! I regret to say that I can't tear it apart. It's not perfect, of course, but the ideas are there, the tone is just right. You've got the langauge of a fable down, with just the right amount of whimsical humour to it. Can't wait to go read the rest!





i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara