Think Like A Dude Entry #2

by Renard

Dear Book,

They say the first thing men/boys notice in women/girls is their eyes. Which is code for breasts. I am not sure if this is true, but I would be interested to find out. I know when I look at boys, I don't instantly stare at their... package. I've seen Josh's package. Oh no, it starts here...

More importantly, I have failed my maths exam. See, I'm not thinking about Josh. Damn! Well I am now, but I have decided not to write about him today because he's... (gritting teeth) not worth the effort.

I got a C. Which is not technically a fail, but everyone else in my group got at least a B (mainly A's), so I am feeling more than a bit stupid. I have never been good at Maths, it's just that simple. But it still annoys me because I worked really hard; and I thought I would do better.

Anyway, I have resigned myself to the fact that I shall not be a Maths Professor any time soon. Who cares anyway? Josh likes maths... Shit!

Honestly though, if I stop and think about all the things we DIDN'T have in common, I can't understand how we got together in the first place. Well there's an interesting thing...

A white plaque read 11MCA on the form room door. Every high school year, I had had the misfortune to change form groups. The people were the same, but the teachers were always different. This year, we had been blessed with Mr Lawson. He was the sort of teacher you could look at and you would feel a warm, wet sensation coming from somewhere. (I am not specifying which 'somewhere' you can work that out for yourselves.) Anyway, he was the preppy sort of teacher, always smartly dressed. Young. Brown hair, blue eyes. Just the right amount of stubble. And the best bit: when he leant over, his shirt would ride up a bit and reveal the bare skin of his lower back. Now, I am not the sort of person into fetishes, but there is something about lower back on boys and men. Do you know what I mean?

I had a discussion about this with my best friend, Jenny.

"I have no idea what your talking about," she shook her head, regarding me as if I were some sort of alien. Jenny was beautiful, you couldn't deny that. She was blonde, leggy - too stereotypical for words.

"Well, don't you find when you see that little bit of skin..." I indicated the amount with my fingers. "...it's just so attractive!" I concluded.

Jenny arched a perfectly plucked eyebrow at me. "You've seriously lost it. Try looking at the front, that's the more interesting part," and she winked at me. Disgusting. (Yet true.) We're back to packages again aren't we.

"Do you know, a boy once caught me staring at his, area..." she cleared her throat. "...and then he jokingly asked me if I worked for UPS, I couldn't get over his ego. Neither could he," Jenny added. I considered this for a moment.

"Jenny, that boy was George, your boyfriend," I reminded her.

"Yeah, but we broke up," she shrugged defensively.

"You mean he dumped you." I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth.

Jenny looked at me, eyes wide, seemingly considering her retort.

"Takes one to know one. How are you coping with the whole Josh situation anyway?" she narrowed her eyes at me. That was mean.

Yet another thing I hate about girls: bitchiness.

I have three questions regarding this matter:

1. Why do girls never say what they really mean?

2. Why do girls hold grudges?

3. If girls are going to fight, for Pete's sake, why can't they punch each properly as opposed to pulling each other's hair and scratching with their nails? (It's pathetic.)

In truth, I was not coping with the Josh situation at all. Because I was ignoring it. I'd reasoned this would be an accurate male approach.

"Hey ho, you'll find someone else anyway. Eventually," Jenny continued. Ow... that was harsh.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am in no hurry to get another boyfriend anyway. It's pointless and too much hard work, plus, we have exams to prepare for," I added, to Jenny's groan.

Before she could say anything else we arrived at 11MCA; and saw Mr Lawson as we approached.

"Good morning girls, in and seated quickly please, we're late for assembly." I brushed against his toned torso as I entered form. Strangely, all thoughts of Josh had gone from my mind.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:10 am
WillowCutz wrote a review...

Hey, Willow C. again. You're probably sick of me, but I will annoy you anyway.

Anywho I really liked this, but just a question. Are you a girl? They don't put that information up anymore. If so, then I do haved to say you are very right about girl fights. If not, then I have to say that not all girls are like that. They don't all hate eachother. And we aren't all the B word. (sorry if I'm sensitive to swearing) In truth I found this entry a bit annoying. (How on earth is she able to quote her friend exactly?) Plus most girls I know (and I am not good on the topic of girls who are mean like this because I don't tend to hang around girls that would insult their best friend like that without a hint of sympathy) wouldn't look as much at a guy's private area as a guy would hers. It all just seems a bit stereotypical. The best friend is a jerk, the girl has a crush on the math teacher, and they are both obsessed with dating (this one not as hurtful because at her age, we all are or were).

~Willow C.

Renard says...

So I'm on entry two. Not exactly sure where this piece is going to go but I am interested to find out. After reading the second entry, I see what you're getting at, but I'm disappointed that Evie hasn't really developed as a character.
The writing is very episodic, in that you are just exposing the different sides to her character and the others that she interacts with. I had hoped to see a quicker development. But maybe in the next instalment?

Keep going.

Yours in ink

~Bloodink

Holysocks says...

Wow, that really confused me until I realized; you were just reviewing your work for yourself! XD

OceanGirl wrote a review...

Heyy Bloodink! Again this is SapphireFlames to the review.
Dude seriously I am going to tell you something, If anytime I am depressed it could be of any reason I will read you're piece and no offence it will make me better!

I just thoroughly enjoyed and laughed a lot after reading you're chapter.

I liked these parts:
"I got a C. Which is not technically a fail, but everyone else in my group got at least a B (mainly A's), so I am feeling more than a bit stupid. I have never been good at Maths, it's just that simple. But it still annoys me because I worked really hard; and I thought I would do better.

Anyway, I have resigned myself to the fact that I shall not be a Maths Professor any time soon. Who cares anyway? Josh likes maths... Shit!"
It just made me laugh to the core! xD

"Yet another thing I hate about girls: bitchiness.

2. Why do girls hold grudges?"

Another thing that me laugh so badly and as I told you If I were depressed anytime again I will straightly come to you're profile and go on reading you're works.
Again as I said I love the way you write its totes realistic and keeps the readers attracted to piece.
I swear you're works have magnetism in them! xD.

And another thing that also made me like you're piece is that the idea of the novel is good like writing in the form of diary entry and I never got and will never get such good ideas. seriously.

Anyway, Good luck and keep writing!
Have a nice day Bloodink!
:)

FuturAuthor,
SapphireFlames ;)

Bloodink says...

Awww. These are really nice comments. Thank you. I will let you know if I post more of this work in the future. :)

Sure. I will be very happy to read this furthur.

LaughingHyena wrote a review...

Hi, sorry I wasn't able to read this sooner, I haven't been on here in a little while. I really, really like this! I love the way you've portrayed a common theme in such a refreshingly original way, it makes it so much more interesting to read and you can really get to know and relate to the main character. Seriously, I'm not just saying this; compared to the teen romance books I have tried reading in the past before this is way better! Really well done and I hope to read more of it soon :D

Bloodink says...

Thanks for the lovely comments. Will let you know when more is up soon. :) xx

Thank you! I'll look out for it! :D

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 am
Noelle wrote a review...

I can see you took my advice and started telling what's going on in Evie's life. Either that or it's just a coincidence XD

They say the first thing men/boys notice in women/girls is their eyes. Which is code for breasts.

Oh gosh, you have no idea how much this line made me laugh. You just have no idea...

Overall you've got another good chapter on your hands. I like how we're introduced to new characters. There's always gotta be other characters because, well, what would a story be without them right? But I'm glad you introduced them now instead of waiting a few more chapters. It seems like sooner is better than later.

There's just one thing I want to point out in this piece:

This sentence is too formal for this story and for the main character. It's not realistic if you think about it. This is a diary--book--after all. Would you write something like this in your diary--book? I know I wouldn't. I'd say something along the lines of "Jenny and I were talking about it at lunch today" or "Me and Jenny actually had an interesting conversation about this when walking to class". Anything like that would work. It's important that dialogue needs to be realistic and showcase a character's personality and character. And this is especially true in this story because it's written through journal entries.

As you continue this piece, I want you to really dive into Evie's mind and find the words she would use to describe her life. Make sense? That sentence looks a little iffy to me...

Anyways, I know last review I said I wanted to see more story, but this time I'm looking for more realistic journal entries. Don't lose site of the story of course; just add in another dynamic. If you keep adding little things like this into your editing this story could end up coming out wonderfully :)

**Noelle**

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

That was a lot less random/journalistic than the last one. It felt more like a story than a 'dear diary' entry. I know a few others have already said that, and I don't think I could say anything that hasn't already been said. And I didn't like the language in it. If you're going to have it, you should've at least introduced it in the first entry. That way readers know what to expect later on.
Hope this helps!

Holysocks wrote a review...

Yes... I'm here.

I liked this, her way of venting is great! But there are a few things I'd like to mention, nothing too harsh.

I'll start with the way she writes ( I say 'she' because the way you have written it, is forming not only your style, but hers too... which, I love! ). Her first entry was very teenish and perfectly, perfect for a journal, but I think you strayed away from that perfection. ( Not in a harsh way! ) :-P What I mean is things like how she writes the dialogue. Now, when I write in my diary, journal, book thing, I really do not seem anywhere near a writer... Maybe it's just me, but recapping convosations ends up... Bad, somthing very, unreadable.

Sorry about the babble. My point is, maybe if you try, like you did in the last one, to make the dialogue...less than perfect. :-D

Ok, now on a new subject. I noticed that you had one, little tiny, itty bitty, swear word ( it's a journal, get over it Socks! ). It is a journal, so I don't blame you at all for useing one. But when you submit a work, you should rate it accordingly... Because there are some pretty young writers on this site. :-P

Ya, so I did really enjoy this, and I really want to read the next one...but I don't know when. Maybe right now. XD!

Keep being awesome!!!

-Socks

Bloodink says...

Thank you for taking the time to review my work. Yes, you are entirely right about my language. I will curb it or rate it. Sorry about that. Glad you mainly liked it. Thanks again for the feedback. :)

Holysocks says...

Any time, and I hope I didn't come across as mean, or anything. :-P

ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...

Hey again!!!! :D

Which is not technically a fail

I think this would sound better as "failing" instead of "a fail."

(I am not specifying which 'somewhere' you can work that out for yourselves.)

It's implied so I don't think this line even needs to be there, it's fine without it. But because of this reference and the swear word you should hate it for maturity level before you submit, at least 16+. I also think you should explain these "forms" just a little more because I don't have those so for other readers who don't we could use a little more explanation before you dive right in.

leant

I'm pretty sure this isn't a word. Should this be "leaned"?

Okay so yeah besides the maturity rating you need to add this was interesting. There sere some clever parts and I still like the overall concept but it did feel a little whiny and girly at parts, that also might be the point. Because the fact is girls cannot think like guys so it's ironic. I really hope this isn't going to turn into a student teacher thing, but I'll read the other part later. I still think you have a witty character here and good style.
Keep it up! :)

Jonathan wrote a review...

Maths, you should just say Math, not that it maters.

Well nice job for this episode although for the name I would turn "Dude" into "Guy" just sying it might help.

Very well written I still think it is still a actual diary.

Some things that might help you if you are trying to make it hard for them you could have like her ant get sick or maybe she has something wrong with her or something. Unless you have other plans.

Keep writing and dont stop. :D

~Jonathan~

Bloodink says...

Thanks for the comments. I will keep writing. I haven't decided on plans for making Evie's life difficult yet, but I'm sure I will do that. (And secretly enjoy it.) I'm glad you think it's well written. Thank you. I'll let you know when the next one is up if you like? :) ~ Bloodink

Jonathan says...

I would.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.