12+

Restful Reverie

by Renard

The time you spend sleeping is supposed to be one of restful relaxation: a chance to reboot the mind and unwind. However, this couldn't be further from the truth. Every night, every one of us dreams, even if we don't remember it in the morning. We will have had several dreams in a single night of sleep! -

As there are different stages of sleep, dreams occur during the REM stage; where your body becomes essentially paralysed. Your brain controls your muscle movement and shuts them down temporarily and this is time where the mind has full control to release neurotransmitters and dream. -

Since we spend about a third of our life sleeping and about six years of it dreaming, dreams become an intrinsic part of our nocturnal habits. In fact, scientific research suggests that a lack of dream activity could indicate a protein deficiency, or even a personality disorder! -

The term 'dream' comes from a historic Middle English word: 'dreme', meaning music or joy. Ironically, our dreams can be far from joyous, as negative emotions are more predominantly expressed. Fear, anxiety, anger and sadness are twice as likely to be present in our dreams as feelings of happiness. It's no wonder that nightmares develop. -

It is through interpretation of dreams that we come to understand their meaning. Whilst unexamined, they may seem rather insubstantial, sometimes just childish folly from the imagination. However, as humans we have recognised and recorded the importance of dreams since 3000-4000 BC; where primal societies documented the dream world on clay tablets. As their understanding developed, the Greeks and Romans suggested that dreams were a direct method of communication between us and God. (Like a telephone.) On the flip side, the people of the Middle Ages thought dreams were a product of the devil! Whilst their real meaning is unclear, there are many variations on interpretations of dreams. -

So how would one go about analysing their night-time-exploits? Firstly, dreams can be separated into different categories. By content: chases, cheating, death, falling etc. Or by form eg. lucid, recurring, nightmare etc. Depending upon the form and content of the dream you are experiencing, will alter your interpretation of the events therein. -

Below is an examination of the three most common forms of dream and their possible meanings: -

1) False Awakening Dreams: going about your daily routine, thinking you are awake, when in fact, upon actually waking, you realise none of this has yet occurred. -

Meaning: The most common cause of this type of dream is excessive worry/anxiety about the next day. Your mind makes a dream out of it, showing you the possible variations on how the situation could pan out. In short, it's a coping mechanism. -

2) Recurring Dreams: you dream about a particular subject repeatedly, and it is usually something relatable to your personal experiences. -

Meaning: This is the brain's way of communicating something to you it doesn't want you to forget. By repeating or making a motif of the theme of the dream, it tries to indicate that you need to pay attention to these dreams to cope and fix a problem you may be experiencing in your everyday life. -

3) Nightmares: The history of the nightmare is in-depth and complex. Nightmares are most common in children, around the ages of 7-8. They averagely commence around the age of 3. Stereotypically, scary and frightening dreams, they could potentially expose a phobia, a previous experience or a threat of something. They can be influenced by things you have seen (such as on television) and this is why it is not a good idea for some people to watch horror movies before you go to sleep. -

Meaning: similar to the recurring dream, this could be a publicity stunt from your brain to draw your attention to an issue. A phobia it may be trying to force you to deal with for example. The meaning behind each individual dream varies and therefore it is almost impossible to generalise. The origin of the word ‘nightmare’ comes from the name of a female spirit who bedevilled people whilst they were asleep, giving the sense of the purpose of a nightmare itself. -

The depth of detail involved in understanding dreams has led to many great minds philosophising over the science behind them: including Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud. -

Jungian Dream Interpretation -

Jung believed that dreams were linked directly to the personality through the unconscious. He saw dreams a method of stimulating personal growth and development. Through discussion of dreams, Jung thought you could unlock their inner meaning and understand their significance. Therefore, his interpretative method relies heavily on the dreamer, or the subject. As with most philosophical concepts, there is no right or wrong answer. The most relevant interpretation in your opinion is the most likely to be correct. The meaning of dreams relies purely on personal judgement and the opinion the individual dreamer for Jung. -

Freudian Dream Interpretation -

Founding father of psychoanalysis and author of ‘The Interpretation of Dreams'; Sigmund Freud believed that nothing occurs by chance. You are motivated by your unconscious for everything on some level. According to him, dreams are the disguise for suppressed urges that would not be acceptable to express within a civilised society. The parts of your brain responsible for these impulses (the id) are suppressed by the superego, but in dreams, the reverse is true. It provides you with a glimpse into your unconscious with the opportunity to express your hidden desires. Due to this removal of censorship, some of these impulses appear disturbing and thus nightmares occur. This censorship can be in part, restored, hence why you would sometimes have a cryptic dream you cannot comprehend. -

Sexuality was predominant in Freud’s theories and the idea is clearly present in his theories on dreams. Freud’s belief that sex was the root cause of your dreams; and the objects in your dreams act as sexual symbols: elongated/slender objects representing the penis; and cavities and receptacles denote the vagina. -

When it comes to the infamous ‘wet’ dream, it’s scientifically proven that men dream more about other men. Homoerotic dreaming tendencies are more common in men than heterosexual ones. Conversely, women dream equally about men and women. It is normal for males to experience an erection in certain levels of sleep, even when they are not having dreams of a sexual nature; whilst women experience an increased vaginal blood flow, regardless of whether or not the dream is of an erotic nature. The physical phenomena of nocturnal penile tumescence (night time erection) can lead to a man experiencing up to 20 erections per dream. -

The suggested interpretation of dreams about sex refers to the merge of aspects about yourself and your psychological acceptance of what your partner would be like. It is basically your libido’s method of saying you have been too long ‘sexless.’ Repressed desire, sleeping with a previous partner or someone of the same sex, all indicate different tendencies towards preference of sexual experience, as well as providing informative details about the level at which you regard yourself and your body. In brief, it is a question of confidence. -

It is possible to dream that you yourself are ‘wet’ and this could indicate sexual arousal, as well as a symptom of the physical side effects of finding your dream stimulating. This works the same way as it does in full consciousness: your brain finds something it likes and your body provides the appropriate response. -

What can be quite disappointing is the fact that five minutes after a dream terminates, 50% of the content is immediately forgotten. After ten minutes, 90% of it evaporates also. For writers, dreams can be very important. You can sometimes see some insightful ideas you would otherwise never have thought of. However, if you don’t write them down quickly, all could be lost. Sleeping with a pen and paper next to your bed could be the best option if you have a vivid dream you with to record for creative purposes. Scientific study suggests that creative people are more likely to have dreams and nightmares as they empathise with concepts around them that could be present in their dreams. -

Imaginative dreams also prove useful for invention, as some of the greatest cultural and academic achievements have been made through ideas in dreams. Famously, Paul McCartney explained that the tune for The Beatles’ hit ‘Yesterday’ came to him in a dream. Whilst Albert Einstein dreamt up the thread of relativity by seeing himself sledding at the speed of light! And one of the most useful household items: the sewing machine was invented by Elias Howe after he dreamt of being stabbed with a spear. -

Whether the next Harry Potter novel idea comes to us in our sleep or we manage to invent a time machine through our dreams, the power of the mind is proven to work best when your body is at rest. (The brain becomes more active at night when the rest of the body shuts down.) Dreams are an essential part of unscrambling the mind and making sense of what we have seen throughout our busy day-to-day lives. Interestingly, any faces of ‘unknown’ characters in your dreams will ALWAYS be faces you have previously seen in real life. -

As Freud once said: ‘Dreams are often most profound when they seem most crazy.’ Who knows what variegated ideas will unfurl in heads tonight; and more importantly, how much of it we will actually remember.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 pm
MasterGrieves wrote a review...

Heggo!!! :) This is 567ajt, your fiancé, here to review this wonderful piece of work. Now I have read this work already as a blog, but (as predicted) it reads better as an actual work. You earned the points to post it, so...XD

Content wise, this essay is incredibly interesting because it tackles a subject which is controversial and is still rather sketchy (ironic considering it is about dreams). I have also learnt new things from this essay, in particular knowledge regarding Carl Jung. I was also like "OHHHHHHHHH THAT'S WHY THAT HAPPENS TO ME!" several times whilst reading your essay. I like the range of dream interpretations as well, not just limiting yourself to analysis of the sexual nature of dreams (a la Freud) but also looking at other scenarios, i.e. ideas for novels or songs or scientific theories. It wasn't the usual starts-with-Freud-and-ends-with-Freud dream essay, so thank you for being original in the interpretations of dreams.

The structure of the writing is really good too. I love your opening and closing sections, and the middle section was full of relevant points and analysis. You have really good inference skills, but even better analysis, always in depth and never limiting yourself to popular opinions on dreams. You also quote a wide range of sources, and your evaluation of Jungian and Freudian methods are not simple, but very thorough and well researched.

In short, an impressive and rather charming work. I am now even more curious to know what I dream about. Thanks :)

I love you <3

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:05 am
Wriskypump wrote a review...

First of all, It looks like you have done some considerable research :D
Second, dreams are a favorite past time of mine, so of course I was drawn to this :)
So I will review some before I digress into the topic of the article

First of all it would be nice to have some breaks just for kind of a rest on the eyes. When my eyes feel relaxed I can absorb words and ideas far better.

"rather insubstantial, sometimes just childish folly..." I feel the addition of sometimes here, hinders the flow, and could be left out altogether.

"civilised society." Civilized is a typo

"Homoerotic dreaming tendencies are more common in men than heterosexual ones." Eventually I came to understand the sentence here; what got me was that from the way it is arranged it sounded like heterosexual was referring to 'men', when it was actually the type of sexual dream experienced by men/a man.

"Interestingly, any faces of ‘unknown’ characters in your dreams will ALWAYS be faces you have previously seen in real life." How could this be proven? It sounds like speculation to me.

Okay, so I liked that I saw a bunch of hard effort put into the research behind this article, and I will not let that go by unrecognized. *hands trophy*

It mixed nicely between the research and your own little injections spiced in around it! It was extremely well stitched together! I loved how it held an idea for seemingly the perfect amount of time and moved on to the next related idea! Everything was presented neatly and without much time for digression or rambling. It was direct and got the message across with all the desired information. The commentary dashed in was magnificent and would be helpful to anyone who might pursue interest in putting some of theories to test, and/or develop helpful methods of dream catching/comprehending! :D Excellent job, this is so wonderful!

Now, upon the subject of dreams. My dreams have dispensed many a novel idea for me over the years. About thirty. Sadly, I can't write them all. They are vivid and chalk full of emotion, and while some of them faded rather quickly after waking up, I can remember events from most with clarity in my mind's eye, from years back. I don't think after 10 minutes 90% of my dreams evaporate, but I think it prob is common for other people to lose so much. I wouldn't hesitate to say I feel I have an abnormally great rate of recall, as well as lucid dreaming commonly. I don't even write most of them down, some are far too complicated to make into stories anyway, and yes, seem very profound, but that is just because they are ambiguous in several spots, especially if they are so long that they don't get to be finished.
Lucid dreams pose lots of questions: Does it still have meaning behind it if you control some, or all aspects of the dream? Is it wrong to purposely do bad things, aware of it but pursuing it, for lack of any consequences, just like a disturbing thought or daydream or something? Those are just some.
I had one creepy ass premonition, that months later, I saw starting to unfold right before my eyes. I don't have all day to go into all the supernatural details, but I knew if I were to simply go upstairs in this family's house, the ensuing events would have lasting repercussions. I'm sure it was a warning. So I changed it, and simply stayed downstairs. The freakiest thing was, somehow I imagined the interior of the house with near perfect accuracy. That is what really caused me to take notice and connect it to that dream.

From what was mentioned in the article, it seems that nightmares are quite frequent, maybe even largely dominant over good ones. Well, not for me, I have pleasureful, fascinating, beautiful, dreams more often than not, and usually have several dreams that I can remember each night. At least one everyday that is strikingly bright in my mind after waking. I do see a lot of things that relate with my dreams in the article though, like how anxiety can largely influence dreams. Life events in general, passion and fear; they all come together and your subconscious seems to try to poke at it, prod you maybe to do something about it, take action, change. Recurring dreams are a check, but not at all very frequent, lots of times can go months between a returning dream. Sometimes dreams continue (very very rarely) from where they left off. Sometimes I even have ones, again spaced out over chunks of time, that connect as one. Maybe the last half one night, and a year later have the first part and realize the complete dream.
Dreams of a sexual sort, well I have them commonly, and I can count on one hand the number of times I had a homosexual dream. Only when I dream of ladies (99% of the time) do I wake up with an erection. But never any wet dreams.
Last month, I had a terrifying nightmare however. It was truly more real than it should've been. And I Died. A long, gruesome, hellish, torturous, savage, death which seemed to go on for eternity and I could not wake up (although I was desperately trying). Nobody dies in their dream, right? Well, hell, that hurt. At the end I was finally bit in half at the small of my back by a wolf, which had basically already purposely gnawed my fingers off, and ripped my limbs from my body. When I woke up, the pain where I was bitten did not subside for a full hour!
So what was it all about. I know, actually. I wanted to see what would happen to me, should I turn my back on God and get caught up in seeking worldly pleasure for myself. So right as I layed down after turning the lights out, I prayed, asking God to show me what would become of me. He sure made it clear.
If you want to hear the whole dream, just ask, the parts proceeding the death (which was bad enough) were nothing short of nasty, but influential to truly understanding the dream, but I'd rather not go into the detail of it all right now, seeing as this review is already drawn out enough. So this is my perspective on dreaming--It doesn't always happen for a reason, lots are just fancy and fun, at least for me, but if a higher form of power wants to get your attention, it seems likely they do it through dreams. And that seems logical, because dreams are personal and fascinating so people take them to heart.
Maybe this will give you a subjective glimpse into The Dream Realm.

This article is so stimulating! Hope I was of help! :)
If you find anything offensive, that is certainly not my intention, I'm just giving my two cents on the matter.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my work. You were very helpful.

The reason it's all jammed together like this, is that the YWS formatting broke, at least for me. I put paragraphs in, but they won't show up. So I will fix it when I can, but the proper version is on my blog at the moment. XD

You can spell civilised the way I did, it's an English thing, but there are two versions anyway. (Googled it) XD
Yes the points about lucid dreams are interesting, I did include them in my research but the essay was getting too long and it would have gone on. I wanted to maintain the most common types of dreams and associate ideas that everyone can relate to, because apparently only a few can dream lucidly. You're really lucky. :D
Ha ha, this was definitely not offensive. Your two cents was very constructive, interesting and helpful.
Thank you again. :)

Wriskypump says...

Oh yeah, I know the woes with the formatting business (filleted some of my poems). I thought civilised might be the English way. Should've googled it myself... :) Anyhow, I enjoyed it very much!

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns