The Porcelain Thrown of Tokyo

by Redbox275

Porcelain Beauty

I found Tokyo to be a new mode of urban life. The hallmarks of several American cities that I visited aren’t common there: no cracked, beaten down streets with litter and dirt shoved into corners and crevices. No packs of cars abusing their horns. And no nauseating puffs of gasoline fumes. Instead the sidewalks were pristine I could eat off them, People swept the sidewalks, and Tokyo had quiet atmosphere in public spaces. People kept to themselves in a polite distance. Additionally, the volume of cars were greatly reduced because of the punctual, preferred subways and trains, the sleek circulatory system efficient as the one in our own body. One of the iconic examples of Japan’s acceptance of technology. Through these observations, I noted cleanliness, self-consciousness, and technology are Tokyo’s hallmarks.

However, these characteristics revealed themselves on the first day, the first hour of my trip in a small cubical, where the moment I opened the door, a symbol of Japan automatically opened its mouth at me.

Minutes later when I joined my mother outside, I exclaimed, “Mom, these toilets are amazing!”

Her eyes darted to the stream of people. She bent down and whispered, “Anna, you said that really loud.”

At that, my stomach dropped as I saw the remaining glances. They seemed irritated by another loud American excited over their toilets. With a face still flushed after my outburst, we followed the flow of people to the train station.

However, I felt my bewilderment valid. It was an encounter with a major shift in culture. I just didn’t realize it yet.

The advanced features emphasize Japan’s obsession with sanitation. On the control panel, there was a built in bidet for posterior, frontal, and rectum cleaning, and features for the toilet to self-sterilize. Ultimately it eliminated the nation’s hygiene horror: hands in close proximity to bodily functions.

To be fair, contact with bodily fluids cause diseases. Japan’s fanatical cleanliness is understandable because it is deeply rooted in Japan’s history and religion. Public baths emerged in Buddhist temples during the 17th century. For Buddhism and Shintoism, major Japanese religions, bathing is crucial. These religions associate purity and goodness with cleanliness and evil with defilement. Therefore, this mindset developed in the language. Clean or Kirei is synonymous with pretty and dirty or Fuketsu mean ugly.

With relief, I observed there were no cracks in the stall door for curious children to peak through and the walls extended from the floor to ceiling, so I don’t have to awkwardly catch my stall neighbor’s pants pooled at the end of their legs. This reminded me of the cultural dichotomy of public self-consciousness and private indulgence. The walls created an individual space. Furthermore, other toilet features were purposed for comfort: seat warmers and white noise. Initially, I thought the button with the musical note would play elevator music although when I pressed the button, it turned out to be a false flushing noise. I later learned the flushing sound was considered relaxing (flushing noise makes me irrationally anxious), yet it played an even greater social purpose: It fulfilled the desire to prevent public disturbance. Companies implemented this because bathroom goers, mostly women, wasted several gallons of water by flushing multiple times to cover any unsavory sounds. The white noise prevents impeding on anyone else’s personal space, which is a commodity on the small island nation.

Finally, the Japanese toilets exposed me to their acceptance of technology. In addition to the features I mentioned previously, I also discovered that were newer models that measure blood pressure and body fat percentage. These were more so implanted in work environment to analyze worker’s health during their time in the bathroom. This highlights their aspiration for efficiency. Their heightened dependency on machinery and automation likewise exemplified their fearlessness of it. Vending machines are on practically every street. Why? It’s because it’s easier and cheaper to pay one person to maintain 30 machines than it is to pay for 30 workers. To United States, a society of automation is a blurry vision. In a few years, they aim to implement automated cashiers whereas in Tokyo, it’s already a reality.

The modern Japanese toilet gave me as much insight into Japan’s way of life as walking the street did. I think because the business of doing our business is an taboo moment, we disregard the cultural significance. However, I realized through scrutinizing over Japan’s porcelain beauty that culture expresses itself in the most unexpected of places.

Anna Palagano is a senior at Mid-Pacific. She loves English and writing just as much as she loves traveling with her family to the places around the country such as Atlanta, Boston, New York City, the Grand Canyon, and Kaui, and she has been to a few places outside the country as well such as Bora Bora and the Caribbean. Her favorite things to do when she journeys to a new destination is to read and write Harry Potter fanfiction to eat a lot of food and walk it off visiting attractions. 

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:40 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hey, Redbox! Happy Review Day ~

First of all, should your title be Porcelain *Throne of Tokyo? That would make more sense to me since I'm not sure what would be thrown, but just wanted to point it out in case it wasn't intentional.

Also, I would strongly recommend (for the purposes of putting this on an online writing website) you take out the last paragraph serving as the author bio. If this were for an assignment or a published article, I recognize its importance, but for privacy sake, it may be safer just to leave it off when publishing here. Or at least just removing your full name.

Overall, this was actually a really interesting, insightful idea. The fact that you can tell a lot about a group of people's culture just based on how they view/handle going to the restroom is really interesting and something I haven't encountered before. This was actually quite interesting and fascinating the read. So in the conceptual department, this was really well done. I'll spend the rest of this review talking about writing.

The hallmarks of several American cities that I visited aren’t common there: no cracked, beaten down streets with litter and dirt shoved into corners and crevices. No packs of cars abusing their horns. And no nauseating puffs of gasoline fumes. Instead the sidewalks were pristine I could eat off them, People swept the sidewalks, and Tokyo had quiet atmosphere in public spaces.

I just decided to quote this entire section of the first paragraph because I found it quite difficult to read. The way it was structured didn't help with the flow very much, making me pause and have to reread to try to understand what you were trying to convey. I do like the idea of contrasting the dirty ... and loud culture of America to the pristine, clean culture of Japan, but this wasn't executed that well. Maybe try to take the "I" out of the first sentence so it isn't like the narrator is giving the reader their filtered thoughts. As well, try to keep all of the "no ..." sentences together in one, so it reads easier. Also, the final sentence is a run-on and slightly confusing.

I do like that you started this off with a story of your own experiences, but I felt like there was a sudden jostle trying to switch from story telling to the actual content of the article. My suggestion would be to condense some of the anecdote more to keep the article overall more focused.

I like that the voice of the narrator stays with the piece throughout, so it's entertaining and engaging to read all the way through. I laughed at a few points and thought it was really interesting. Just something, especially in the story section, the writing either felt a little bit clunky or didn't flow too well. This may come from trying to have both a story (instead of a retold anecdote) as well as accomplishing the purpose of this article. It's something difficult to balance, and I think you did well, but there could always be improvements.

Best wishes ~
- Wolfe

AvantCoffee wrote a review...

Hi ^^ CoffeeCat here to review ~

What first grabbed my attention was the title, of course. It is very intriguing and draws a person in, which is a wonderful skill to have as a writer.

The second aspect that appealed to me was the quality of writing. Overall nicely written and engaging. Comparing American cities to the setting in question, Tokyo, straight off the bat proved an effective way to introduce the topic, I found. A strong opening.

No packs of cars abusing their horns.

I really liked this sentence!

The main improvement, if I were to suggest one, would be grammar and punctuation. I'll break down some sections I noticed:

Instead the sidewalks were pristine I could eat off them,

This seems to be simply overlooked, but add the word "so" between "were" and "pristine". I would also add a comma after "Instead", and use a semicolon after "them".

People swept the sidewalks, and Tokyo had quiet atmosphere in public spaces.

Use a lowercase "p" in "People". Because the previous phrase (quoted above this one) already includes the word "sidewalks", it might come off as repetitive to use it again. By adding a semicolon to join them and instead writing "people swept by them," I believe the reader will still know what you're talking about without the repetition. Also, add "a" between "had" and "quiet".

People kept to themselves in a polite distance.

Replace "in" with "at".

the sleek circulatory system efficient as the one in our own body. One of the iconic examples of Japan’s acceptance of technology.

I thought this section was great in terms of writing! If you wanted to, you could replace the full stop after "body" with a dash (one of these —) to join the two phrases, since they're related.

That first paragraph summed up nicely. Good job!

Haha I love this!

Oh wow! Is it really true that Tokyo toilets have a button that plays a flushing noise to mask other toilet sounds?! I love how you link facts like the toilet with the cultural mindset of Japanese society. You do this in a way that doesn't feel invasive, but rather contemplative — a better received tone for this kind of subject.

While reading, it is very clear that the grammar/punctuation improves massively, so it's only really the beginning of the work that could do with some care.

To United States, a society of automation is a blurry vision.

Nicely phrased.

I think because the business of doing our business is an taboo moment, we disregard the cultural significance.

Clever use of repetition of alternate meanings there. :) Replace "an" with "a" in this section. So it flows better, I would recommend adding a comma after "think".

And lastly, you have a little bio at the bottom of your article, however there's no textual variation that separates it from the article itself. You could try putting the bio in italics or visually separating it by other means.

To wrap up, reading this whole piece was actually very fascinating and informative. The more I kept reading, the more interesting the subject became. At the end of the day, the most important aspect of a written work is to engage the person reading it, and that's exactly what this achieves. Great work! Keep up the awesome writing :D

— Coffee

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss