z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

The Forsaken Race - The Hidden Truth: Chapter 31

by RavenAkuma


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Chapter 31 - Trust

             

           

In the Raven's Cavern, Kita had been following the Zyrean leader and spirit-walker for a while, deeper into the cave system. The trek was irritating, and Kita saw no sign of the supposed 'vermin' they had been looking for.

Just as she braced to ask how long this would take, however, the twisted path opened into a room, and she found herself captivated.

There were massive crystals all around, scattered like trees in a forest. Almost all of them resembled sapphires. Smaller ones were more of a pale icy tone, while the largest bordered on purple. The ones in between varied in shades of deep, vibrant blue, and they offered a similar shade of dim light. Tiny clear gems were speckled all around the area, creating a scene like stars in the sky, or shimmering dew drops against blue petals. The air was more humid here, and it carried a scent reminiscent of ocean waves against a rocky shore.

Though Kita wanted to take in the view, she panicked as she almost lost the twins amid the crystal labyrinth. She followed them for a few minutes before they finally stopped.

Thundur remarked, "Nothing's destroyed. It's probably not a brute-type creature. Leiyt?"

When he didn't respond, Kita focused on the leader. To her surprise, Leiytning had a tiny bat in his hand. The creature seemed dazed. Kita feared it would be killed, like the bigger vermin this area had to offer, but Leiytning's demeanor was as neutral as it always was. His iridescent blue eye -very resemblant of the brilliant stones around them- showed no trace of malice.

Thundur sighed, "Why do we always have to get sidetracked by-"

Leiytning suddenly silenced Thundur, clasping his free hand over her mouth. Kita was confused, but then he pointed to something horrid.

Just ahead, where the path veered left, something moved amid the crystals. It was fast, but Kita was sure that it was large and dark.

"Dammit," Thundur whispered. "Leiyt, leave that stupid bat and arm up. Mortal, this is not a creature for you to be around. Go back to the main cave, quietly."

Kita didn't hesitate. She practically tip-toed away, trying to retrace her steps. However, the path didn't match her expectations, and it didn't take long for her to get completely lost. This deep in the chamber, the floor was more uneven and the crystals grew in thicker clumps, forming walls and other obstacles. They were too tall to see over.

Following a narrow path, Kita watched it branch three different ways and knew she was in trouble.

She murmured, "How could I have gotten lost?"

Sighing heavily, she turned back to leave.

However, as soon as she did, dread hit her like a bullet.

A monstrous entity had crawled onto the path and blocked her way. It was a giant insect, around twelve or fifteen feet long; a centipede with razor-sharp pincers and bulging reddish eyes. Dark plates protected its long, stringy body, and it was supported by countless protruding legs the width of knitting needles. Its very back set of legs was bigger with sharp, hooked points.

The giant bug clicked its pincers, but stopped moving.

Kita was paralyzed. She knew the wrong move could make it snap. She slowly brought her foot up as she tried to step away.

'IEEEE!'

Suddenly, the beast shrieked and charged toward her.

Kita's instinct kicked in; she spun on her heels and ran. She didn't care about which direction she was heading in, as long as it carried her further from the beast.

She worked up the nerve to cry out, though her voice was hoarse and staggered by fear.

"L-Leiytning, help! T-T-Thundur..."

When no response came, Kita glanced over her shoulder. She saw the beast gliding across the ground, using its many legs to propel itself off the walls. However, there was no sign of the demons.

Panicked thoughts raced through her head; she had no clue where her temporary teammates were, nor where she was going.

With her sides aching and her lungs burning, Kita kept blindly running, until she came across a widened area. The path split into five; in her panic, she darted onto the most narrow path, where she soon found a narrow crevice to hide in.

Squeezed between two freezing-cold crystals, Kita struggled to form a plan. She hesitantly peeked around the corner, watching the beast crawl about the wide area.

Then, in a horrible turn of fate, another giant centipede crept forth from another path. It was the same size, but with blue-tinted plates.

Kita nervously thought to herself, Two of them? Oh no, what am I supposed to do?

As the bluish beast turned its head, she noticed some marks all along it. They looked like burn marks, but more jagged and speckled with white. One spot was oozing green blood.

Kita tried to look closer. What happened there?

The first beast started to climb the crystals, while the bluish one stood by.

However, a gleam of light shot by, and the first one shrieked.

A bolt of pure lightning struck just behind its head, dispersing into a paralyzing shock. As Kita just barely crept out for a better look, she found Leiytning on the other side of the room, spear drawn while his free hand crackled with electricity.

The first monster crawled back down, and the other clicked its pincers menacingly. When they both charged, Leiytning was easily able to avoid them. As soon as they passed, he threw the spear at the bluish beast, puncturing its eye while shocking it.

While the wounded beast shrieked in agony, the first one shook itself off. It stayed low, bracing to charge. A burst of sparks from Leiytning's hand caused the spear to shoot back into his hand, spitting even more bolts and sparks upon impact. As he slid one foot back, Kita knew something was about to happen.

The beast rushed at Leiytning, but with a charged kick, it flew aside and slammed into the crystals. Some of the rocks even cracked from the pressure, and Kita felt the faintest shockwave ripple through the stone beneath her.

Before the first beast could recover, Leiytning hit it with a light-fast swipe of the spear. Its head rolled away, leaving a trail of green blood.

However, the second beast had just gotten back onto its many feet, eyes locked on the demon. Kita took this as her signal to finally leave. She slowly began to step back.

'Crack!'

She cringed as her foot chipped a loose stone, sending it crashing into a crystal.

The giant bug immediately took notice, and without any warning, it charged.

In a state of terror, Kita spun back and ran further into the maze, refusing to look back. Every last tap, every dancing shadow, and every brush of air reminded her that the vile creature was right on her tail.

Meanwhile, without the panicked sylph's knowledge, Thundur was perched atop the crystals, just a bit further ahead on the path. She already had one hand on the hilt of her coiled whip.

Thundur thought, Muldarchs are annoyingly resilient, but it looks like we're making good progress. I'm only confused as to why this one wants Kita when you're the one attacking it.

In her mind, Leiytning responded, Mortal flesh makes better prey.

Guess so. Well, rendevous and have your spear ready. I'll give you an easy shot.

Below her, Thundur saw what she needed. Kita ran by, leaving a narrow gap between her and the beast.

Thundur shot down, uncoiling her whip with a flick of the wrist.

'SNAP!'

As her whip lashed out, it coiled around the muldarch's pincers. The weapon's several spines dug in like an anchor, and straining her strength, Thundur managed to flip the beast's head over -which made its body follow suit and expose its underside.

Meanwhile, as Kita took a step back, all she saw was a black flash before a horrifying shriek tainted the atmosphere. Green blood spewed onto the ground. As the muldarch went limp, Leiytning stepped back, blood still staining his weapon.

Thundur grunted with irritation. "Two mature muldarchs in one day. I don't like that."

Kita took a deep breath. "What exactly are these-"

'click-CLICK!'

Kita gasped and rushed behind the twins. It was probably just a rock tumbling, but it startled her either way.

"Really?" Thundur growled. "There's three of them?"

Kita's heart dropped. "Oh, gods."

Kita hesitantly searched the path, and to her horror, Thundur was right. Only this time, the muldarch was even bigger, taking up almost the whole width of the path, with sharper pincers and thicker plates.

Thundur uncoiled her whip again. "Damn beasts."

Bolts of electricity ran through Leiytning's spear. "Save the rant."

The muldarch rushed toward them. Kita ran back and stayed low.

She was surprised to see that instead of avoiding, Leiytning blocked the muldarch head-on; its pincers were stuck as the spear lodged between them, dispersing electricity that formed jagged burns along the beast's plates, and the beast couldn't move as Leiytning held the spear in place.

The muldarch narrowly freed its pincers and staggered back, trembling from the shock. As it reared up, the twins were ready. With a boost from her brother, Thundur vaulted over it, the whip coiling around its head as she landed behind it. The spines tore into its eyes, making it screech, and trapped it in its rearing position. Leiytning launched the spear into its open underside.

The beast shrieked more, but as it strained itself, the whip snapped off. In a blind frenzy that passed too fast to register, and leaked blood everywhere, the muldarch barreled down the path to get away -only, Kita was still in the way.

Kita turned to run, but between exertion and a moment of paralysis, she was too slow. She could feel the beast's cold aura as it came within range, the pincers aimed at her as it sensed her presence, and she helplessly squealed.

However, someone grabbed her by the wrist and yanked her upward. Kita heard the chitin jaws clamp shut, but all she felt was terror. The muldarch shrieked, and she saw a flash of green blood, but the blurry scene grew more distant as something forced her out of harm's way.

She turned to look at her savior. She was expecting to see Leiytning, but it was Thundur next to her. They were on top of one of the crystals, the muldarch still occupying the path below them.

Thundur growled, "You idiotic mortal, do you want to get crushed?"

Kita was too stunned to respond. Especially when she noticed the wound on Thundur's arm, leaking black blood.

"Y-You're hurt," Kita mindlessly stammered.

"The jaws just scraped me, now stay out of the way," Thundur retorted.

They were interrupted by another loud shriek. Sure enough, investigating the area below, Kita saw the muldarch finally fall, having taken a spear through its eye. The puddles of green blood were growing larger, collecting from three massive corpses. They filled the air with a sickening odor, like metal shavings and carrion. With one more spark of electric magic, Leiytning's spear shortened as he sheathed it.

Thundur hopped down, coiling and sheathing her whip. "That better be all of them."

Leiytning inspected the wound on her arm. "Let's also hope you use your head, next time. If you're getting injured by cave vermin, oblivion knows what our more challenging enemies will be capable of."

"Hush," Thundur argued. "You know I don't do well in cramped spaces."

"Also, I think you broke the mortal," said Leiytning.

Sure enough, still on top of the crystal, Kita was watching Thundur with a dumbfounded expression. It was the only reaction she could manage.

Thundur crossed her arms. "Are you going to sit there gawking, or use your words?"

Kita stammered, "Y-You helped me."

Thundur's ear twitched. She could feel her twin's amusement, silently mocking her.

"Risking your own limb for a sylph? And for a while, you were accusing me of 'going soft.'"

Thundur snapped, "Shut up!"

While she predictably bickered with her brother, Kita kept her head down. The image of black blood was stuck to her eyelids. It was a minor injury for sure, but it could have been much worse with a beast so large and formidable, and with such little room for escape.

Thundur huffed, "Anyway, we should leave. Now. Without discussing anything. Leiyt, come on."

Accordingly, Thundur stormed back through the crystal maze, eager to get out. She didn't even check to see if they were following.

Kita hesitantly asked, "Does she do things like that often?"

"Sometimes." Leiytning extended a hand. "Come down."

Though hesitant and uneasy, Kita reached down and took his hand. It was cold as the grave and rough from ancient scars. As she hopped off the crystal, her landing was made lighter as he half-caught her.

Then, to Kita's surprise, as Leiytning stepped back and flicked his long hair out of the way, it revealed the same tiny bat from before. It was latched onto his shoulder, seeming more active and curious as it poked its nose into the air.

Kita couldn't help laughing a bit. "You still have it?"

"There's a reason I was moving slower than normal," Leiytning muttered, the bat crawling onto his hand.

Reflecting on the battle, Kita sneered, "Slow? Well, I thought you would've killed it."

Leiytning almost seemed offended. "What kind of psychopath do you take me for, to murder harmless animals? I don't even like to slay beasts unless necessary."

Mouth agape, Kita blinked hard. A notorious demon king sparing a pitiful little creature, someone of his stature showing such a gentle nature; this was the last thing she would've expected. Especially after hearing such vicious rumors on this very mission. The words of that unusual informant still rang in her head.

"'You twins haven't gone savage again, have you?'"

Kita bit her lip. He may not be the most charismatic person, nor the easiest to understand, and I know there's a lot he's hiding...

She watched as the bat finally flew off, safe from becoming a muldarch snack.

But how could he be a savage? How could Thundur?

Leiytning interrupted her train of thought. "Your surprise is warranted. Thundur is protective by nature, but only toward recognized allies -and maybe those she pities enough, on a good day. Perhaps you are making progress here after all."

Even though there was a sort of taunting tone behind that last sentence, it forced Kita into another mental whirlwind. Confused, afraid, a bit sorrowful, and almost angry. Her own kind had rejected her for almost her whole life, so how could people even less familiar and less tolerant of her be teasing the notion? Unless it was a cruel trick.

"This isn't right..." Kita mumbled without even realizing, "I came here and promised to work; that should be all there is to it. A contract. A temporary affiliation. Nothing more..." She laughed nervously, "Acceptance would just be crazy. You're demons, I'm an Aubade."

"True that you're getting ahead of yourself," Leiytning muttered. "However, wasn't it you who admitted in a past spiel that other sylphs did not 'accept' you either? By your logic, your allegiance with them would be impossible as well."

"It's more complicated than that; of course I have some people I'm close to, but even with them, well..."

Kita looked down. Her forethoughts told her that she shouldn't be speaking this way, but her subconscious contested. Before she knew it, the words spilled from her throat.

"A lot of times, Sybilius doesn't feel like a real home. Not the way I was living in it. I was the unwanted one, even by those who should have wanted me more than anything. The reasons varied so much that sometimes I can't help but wonder if there was a reason..." She uneasily laughed. "So you had a point there. It's almost like I don't belong anywhere."

Hearing herself, Kita was surprised to feel her eyes burn a bit, and she quickly blinked the feeling away.

Leiytning responded in his usual blunt way. "Some other people slandered you, and that was the end of your days?"

Kita bit her lip. "Okay, it's not the same as having to slay orcs and giant bugs, or fend off Aubade soldiers. But when it's constant, and you don't know any better, and you even had to face..." She failed to get the rest out, diverting, "At least you have basic respect, I didn't even have that."

To her surprise, Leiytning let out an unnerving chuckle.

"What was your perception of me, or my kind, before you were forced to stay here?"

Kita's blood ran cold. "Oh, right..."

"Don't feel that I don't understand. Someone has hurt you far beyond words alone."

Kita looked up at him with silent shock.

"If you couldn't tell from our reputation, or the fact that half my face is currently missing, we've come under fire plenty of times. Individually and as a whole, even outside of battle, at unwarranted moments. We could let it get to us and submit any day; give up and hide in the fortress for the rest of our days, abandon these scattered lands, or surrender to the Aubades and place our lives in the hands of a bitter queen. We don't on the basis of honor, dignity, revenge, and at least for Thundur and me, the inherent responsibility to keep these warriors -and this remaining fraction of our tribe- alive. Maybe some think it's foolish, and even more think we're monsters, but it's enough for us."

His tone of (very) slight sympathy turned more stern. "You, on the other hand, have habituated defeat. The ambition to cure your illness is the only ambition I've seen out of you. My guess is that you push away opportunity out of fear that it may hurt, even when you're already hurting. Well, if you're so desperate for things to get better, maybe it's about time you changed that."

"Even if I did..." Kita hesitated. "I'm still hated by the people in Sybilius. Just like how, despite all my efforts here, you still hate me for being a sylph."

"Negative opinions, even when vocalized, only cause harm if you let them. Plus, you already admitted that you have people to confide in. As for the second point..." Leiytning sighed, "Curse you for forcing me to admit this. There are prominent boundaries between all tribes, some thicker than others, and that won't change. However, those boundaries are not unbreachable."

With a tone of doubt, Kita argued, "You think I could fit onto this team?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself," Leiytning muttered. "Let's just say a change of allegiance could very well be the opportunity you need. You recall the question I gave you, I'm sure. Consider this one of the potential answers."

Kita looked down, thinking, I can't help feeling that he has a point. Somehow...

She shifted uncomfortably. "I understand what you mean. Also, was that the long way of saying you changed your mind? You don't hate me just for being a sylph?"

"That stays between us," Leiytning said bitterly. "Now get up before I leave you here."

Kita scurried to follow the leader back through the crystal maze. Her thoughts continued to run wild on the way.

I'm so confused. In one talk, Leiytning just gave me more perspective than any sylph I reached out to, including Corelia herself. I am loyal to Sybilius and that can't change, but can I really just turn my back on the Zyreans? After all of this...

Again, one word hit her like a bullet.

"'Savage.'"

Kita shook her head. I'm still missing some pieces here. However, between what Seyber told me and what I just witnessed, one thing is clear. I have some questions that need to be answered.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 958
Reviews: 55

Donate
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:57 pm
View Likes
keeperofgaming wrote a review...



What a fun thing to return to after Easter.

When I smiled:

Thundur and Leiytning do somewhat care for Kita, and watching them care is so adorable. The fact that Thundur saved Kita, shocking both of them, was so adorable. I also love how Leiytning gave quite a bit of perspective to Kita, by showing that he has high regard for any life, somewhat reflecting that Thundur may be the same way.
And when Leiytning got offended by Kita's assumption was hilarious as it showed his compassion, as well as his patience. He could have done what Seyber did and got insulted at the idea that he was offputting and seemingly violent, but instead he was just like, 'are you kidding me?' It provided quite a bit of perspective and showed quite a bit of Leiytning's character.

A Line to Remember:

"If you couldn't tell from our reputation, or the fact that half my face is currently missing, we've come under fire plenty of times. Individually and as a whole, even outside of battle, at unwarranted moments. We could let it get to us and submit any day; give up and hide in the fortress for the rest of our days, abandon these scattered lands, or surrender to the Aubades and place our lives in the hands of a bitter queen. We don't on the basis of honor, dignity, revenge, and at least for Thundur and me, the inherent responsibility to keep these warriors -and this remaining fraction of our tribe- alive. Maybe some think it's foolish, and even more think we're monsters, but it's enough for us."

I planned on using half of the quote, but it wouldn't have the same impact.
This reminds me of one of Rose Hood's speeches later in the series. The idea of just giving up a losing battle is appealing, but Leiytning recognizes that if he were to give up, then none would take his place. His willpower and determination to keep his family alive is just incredible, he cares deeply for people. Especially his own people.
The fact that he was saying this to Kita exemplifies his compassion for life and one of his best traits. His helpfulness.

The Catalyst's Growth:

Kita gained some real perspective this chapter. She recognized that she is steadily gaining the trust of the Zyreans, as well as her having an internal conflict on her loyalty, as she recognizes that she trusts and cares for the Zyreans, but she is still loyal to Sylbus. I like how her internal conflict is echoed through this story.

Overall:

Really well done, I can't wait to read more.




RavenAkuma says...


Welcome back! Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed! Achieving this tone with Leiyt wasn't easy lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read and review, always appreciated! :)





I believe I missed something, why are you an avocado



User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 39462
Reviews: 151

Donate
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 pm
View Likes
PKMichelle wrote a review...



Hello, friend!
I'm back for more!!!

Image

Per my interpretation, this was, yet again, another outstanding chapter! I loved how action-packed it was while also maintaining some fairly intimate, emotional elements!!

Brief Summary:

Spoiler! :
The chapter picks up with the twins and Kita looking for some sort of vermin, but they quickly realize it's a little more than they bargained for. The twins realize it's a muldarch and tell Kita to run, but the creature ends up chasing her instead. Kita luckily gets to safety, but a second beast makes its appearance before Leiytning and Thundur come in and handle business. And just when they thought it was over, a third, much larger, muldarch appears, and while getting attacked by Leiytning, it decides to chase Kita instead, causing Thundur to put herself in danger to save Kita. This stuns Kita, but Thundur brushes it off. This leads to a conversation between Kita and Leiytning that eventually leaves Kita confused and conflicted.

This was a fantastic plot!! I really enjoyed reading it!


If I could offer any sort of advice, it would be related to a small spelling error that occurred when Leiytning was fighting the muldarch and he threw his spear at one of them. You said,

As soon as they passed, he threw the spear at the bluish beast, puncturing its eye with shocking it.


But I believe the sentence would make a little more sense with a slight word change...

As soon as they passed, he threw the spear at the bluish beast, puncturing its eye while shocking it.


But, obviously, this is just a suggestion, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.


If I had to pick my favorite part, there would be a few, and they would all be related to how shocking and kind the twins seemed to act in this chapter! It seemed to surprise Kita, and it surprised me too, so let's dive into it!

The first thing that stood out to me in regards to the twins being a little nicer came when Thudur saved Kita's life! No one could seem to grasp why she did it, and even Thundur wasn't too happy about it. You said,

Sure enough, still on top of the crystal, Kita was watching Thundur with a dumbfounded expression. It was the only reaction she could manage.

Thundur crossed her arms. "Are you going to sit there gawking or use your words?"

Kita stammered, "Y-You helped me."


Thundur saved Kita, then mocked her for being confused—very Thundur-y!! But on top of that, it seems Thundur is opening up to the idea of Kita and becoming more accepting of her. Either that or her brother telling her to behave is actually working, whether it be subliminally, or she actually cares about what he wants. Whatever the case is, this opened up so much in regards to exploring Thundur's personality, so good job there, and I can't wait to see what else happens with her!

Another thing that popped out at me that relates to the unprecedented kindness of the twins appeared when Leiytning revealed the bat on his shoulder. He was taking care of it, keeping it safe, despite what someone might originally expect from him, portraying his genuinely sweet nature. You said,

Mouth agape, Kita blinked hard. A notorious demon king sparing a pitiful little creature, someone of his stature showing such a gentle nature; this was the last thing she would've expected. Especially after hearing such vicious rumors on this very mission. The words of that unusual informant still rang in her head.


This was a great quote that showed what Kita had grown to expect from Leiytning and how far from the truth it was. You can't judge a book by its cover, or, in this case, by what someone says about it. It's truly a great message, whether intended or not, and I really liked what this portrayed about the entire Zyrean tribe! They're known for bad things, but even the leader has a heart. Great job here!

The final thing that caught my eye related to the twins' genuine nature was Leiytning's ability to empathize with Kita! It's not something that anyone expected, especially Kita herself. Seeing Leiytning being personable and relatable was very shocking and shown perfectly when you stated,

"Don't feel that I don't understand. Someone has hurt you far beyond words alone."

Kita looked up at him with silent shock.


Not only does Leiytning empathize with Kita, but he's speaking from experience as well. He's been through a lot and faced an immense amount of prejudice, but nonetheless, he's still fighting, and now he's using his own story to hopefully motivate a distraught Kita. This entire chapter highlighted Leiytning's gentle heart very nicely, so kudos to you for writing it this way!


Overall, this was an excellent chapter, and I'm incredibly excited for more! I love everything you've done, and I've really enjoyed watching all of the characters unravel! I can't wait to see what amazing twists there'll be next!!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you!


Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!




RavenAkuma says...


Welcome back, PK! Ah, that was a typo, thanks for catching it. Thanks for taking the time to read and review, so glad you enjoyed! :)




ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones