z

Young Writers Society



The Other Man (part one)

by Rascalover


The room was a nauseating site, full of antiseptic smells and bland colors with bright whites. Allison had hoped that her husband, Jay DeMarcus, would wake up. His messy black hair had been uncombed, and it was tussled everywhere. The paleness of his skin was alarmingly transparent; you could trace his dark blue veins all the way up his arm. Bones poked out from his joints from where he had lost so much weight; it scared and horrified Allison. Just three months ago he was a healthy thirty-two year old man. Every strand of his black hair was never out of lace; waking up at six in the morning every day Jay would gel his hair to complete his ultimate look. His was never to tan, but his health was always imperative to him. His blue eyes shone like gems hidden beneath stories of the untold. Being as healthy as he was he never let his weight drop nor gain a few pounds over 170 pounds.

Their four year old daughter, Isabella, was lying asleep on the cot the nurses brought in. She had been utterly exhausted from being carried from and to the hospital. His angel like blonde hair whisked past her shoulders, barely touching her back. Just like her father, she had enormous blue eyes that glittered and shone. Her height was of three feet and five inches.

As Allison sat there, and watched the machines beep and move she thought of what had happened to her darling husband. A few months ago while on stage with his band mates Jay ran into a steel bar, that knocked him unconscious. While at the hospital the doctors put him into a medically induced coma. A week had past since they took him out of the coma, so now all they had to do was wait.

Wait…

And

Wait…

Allison’s heart jumped when a machine hooked up to Jay started to beep furiously. A nurse came running in to check Jay’s pulse. All the commotion had woke up Isabella, and she got out of the cot to run to Allison. She picked Isabella up with all her might. Isabella clung to Allison’s body with all her might. Through the past months nurses and doctors had been coming in and out of Jay’s hospital room to check upon him. All of her worrying and desperation to help Isabella get through this also drained her of all her energy. Within the last few weeks it seemed almost impossible to carry the skin upon her bones. This was because as she focused all her thoughts, feelings, and energy towards everyone and everything besides herself she became exhausted.

A nurse escorted her out of the room for fear of something going horribly wrong with Jay. The nurse compassionately told Allison a few words of comfort, but Allison wasn’t listening. Worry and sadness had once again stole her heart and mind. What if the next time she saw her husband he was in a funeral casket? Getting in the waiting room, which was down the hall from Jay’s room, Allison collapsed into a chair. She refrained herself from weeping. Isabella was still with her, and she didn’t want to worry the small child. In Allison‘s mind nothing seemed real any more. More known of her feelings rather than her own child’s she mechanically rocked Isabella back and forth, even though her maternal instincts told her Isabella wouldn’t go back to sleep

“Mommy, when is daddy going to not be sick?” Isabella leaped from her mother’s lap to the floor.

“ Bell-Bell, I don’t know.” Allison looked into Isabella’s eyes, and she instantly wanted to cry.

The bland colored walls made her want to vomit. Nothing was going right. She felt emotional drained from crying and raging about her husband’s predicament. A chill ran up her back as she saw the doctor come her way.

The doctor came into the room and said, “ Now Mr. DeMarcus has woken up, but it seems that he has suffered some memory loss. He thinks he is twenty-five instead of thirty-two. He doesn’t know who you or Isabella are.” Allison could hardly contain her anger and frustration, but she didn’t want to take it out on the doctor. “Can you contact his cousin Gary Vernon? Mr. DeMarcus is determined to see him.” Doctor AJ Esparza went back into Jay’s room.

Doctor AJ had been Jay and Allison family physician. He was an elder man with a short stature, and his weight was below the average. His facial expression expressed sympathy and compassion, but Allison refused show any feelings towards him. She wanted to make the appearance that she had everything under control.

“Can I go see him?” Allison asked trembling.

“No, I still need to give him an over all physical check up, and I need to explain to him some of the things that have been going on.” Doctor AJ stood up and walked into Jay’s room.

The words came out of his mouth mechanically, and with no emotion. One by one they hit her like tumbling bricks. Being crushed under the weight of such news; she cried.

The nurse that had took Isabella to play with the stuff animals that hospital has kept for children to entertain themselves brought her back to Allison.

“Mommy what’s wrong?” Isabella climbed into Allison’s lap as she saw her cry.

“Oh Bell, Mommy wants Daddy to get better. I miss him.” Allison dug for her cell phone in her brown leather hand bag.

Allison took Isabella outside so she could call Gary. It crushed her heart that her husband wanted to see his cousin and couldn’t even remember her. It took Gary maybe fifteen minutes to get there; he met Allison outside. Gary was Jay’s best friend, and Allison had no problem with him. As soon as she met Jay Gary had treated her like family. He was a kind and gentle person, but he didn’t seem to show his own emotion much. He was always worried about every one else. She knew Gary fairly well because jay and himself never were far apart. They spent their time together like siamese twins. Once she got off the phone with Gary he was there within fifteen friends.

“Ally what happened? Is he ok?” Gary asked with anticipation.

“Gary he woke up-” Allison started to say as Gary interrupted her.

“Hallelujah…” Gary started to say,his tone expressing relief. His heart jumped into his throat. He had waited so long for Allison to say that. Gary bright green eyes shone like stars.

“No Gary, he’s suffering from memory loss. He thinks he’s twenty-five again. Gary he doesn’t remember Bella or… or even me.” They walked inside.

Once inside the waiting room, Allison took one look at Gary and began to sob. Gary held her because he didn‘t know what else to do. Being a very non-emotional man he tried to comfort her as best he could. Isabella looked up at them in confusion. In between her sobs Allison informed him that Jay needed to see him. Allison kept Isabella in the waiting room with her as Gary slowly walked into Jay’s room.

“Who are you?” Jay asked as he looked at Gary like a stranger from hell.

“I’m Gary Vernon your second cousin,” Gary replied sitting beside his hospital bed as Jay got a good look at him.

The doctor was also in the room; apparently Gary had walked in on their conversation. Feeling disrespectful Gary just sat and listened quietly.

“Like I was saying, Jay it’s two-thousand and eight, not the year two-thousand. Jay, you are thirty-two, and not twenty-five.” Jay just denied everything the doctor said.

His voice full of venom, Jay looked alive with spirit. Unlike being in a coma, his hair was patted down, and his skin was full of color. He seemed to be up to him old self, but that was the problem he was stuck in the past. Jay contorted his face with a frown, and refused to listen to what the doctor had to say any further.

All conversation was ending, and the doctor was leaving the room when Gary got up to go with the doctor into the hallway. He asked him when Jay was going to regain his memory.

Gary learned that it depended on the certain person and time. Photographs or old home videos could defiantly spark a plug and help him regain a formation of a recollection.

Gary asked Allison to bring Isabella in to see Jay.

“Gary I can’t, he doesn’t even know my name.” Allison trembled.

“Ally I know this is hard for you, but Jay could remember anything just by seeing your face, or hearing your voice. He could even remember something just by looking at Isabella. Please, Allison, please.” Allison reluctantly gave in.

Trembling she grabbed the door knob. Holding it for a second she shut her eyes tight trying to calm herself down enough to be able to see Jay. She worried he would hate her, and tell her to leave. She was afraid of the unexpected. Reopening her eyes Allison walked into his room. As she walked into his room, Jay’s magnificent blue eyes washed over her.

“Hello Jay.” Allison sat down.

Allison had explained beforehand to Isabella that Jay was still very sick, and therefore didn’t know a whole lot; Bella sat very still in her mother’s lap.

“Hey Heather. Long time no see.” Allison raised her eyebrows up at Gary.

Gary was shocked himself; Allison could tell by his facial expression. Allison didn’t want to push the subject; she just wanted to be there with her husband so she didn’t correct him on her name. Allison made note to herself to ask Gary who Heather was because by the expression on his face she was someone dear to him. Gary was shocked and heartbroken to hear of his late wife’s name. he hadn’t openly talked about her since her death. He was grateful to Allison for not asking of her name.

For the duration of their visit no one said any thing about the name mistake. Then it was time for visitors to leave, so Gary took Ally and Bella home.

On the two hour long ride to the DeMarcus’s household Bella fell asleep.

“Gary, who’s Heather?” Allison regretted asking the question once she saw a single tear run down Gary’s right cheek.

“Ally, Heather was my late wife. We were high school sweethearts, and we were married for five years.” Gary regained his self-control by taking in air like a fish out of sea.

“Oh, Gary, I’m sorry.” Allison stared down at her hands.

“Don’t be. Heather died giving birth to our daughter Sara, but a week after her birth Sara died of Sudden Infant Death syndrome.” Gary looked like stone; his face showed no emotion and was motionless.

Nothing else was said the rest of the way. While they got close to Allison’s home a lump grew bigger and bigger in her throat, but she refused to cry. Allison thanked him for the ride home, and got Isabella out of the car. On the outside of their house it looked big and elegant with white peelers supporting the front porch. Opposite from the outside the inside looked warm and cozy. Jay had let her decorate their home any way she had wanted. To this decision little of Jay was expressed through the house, but he did have his studio which was a room in the left corridor.

Once into her countryside home Allison put Bella into her bed. Descending down the stairs Allison racked her brain to try and remember if Jay ever said anything about Heather. As nothing came to mind she sat on the couch curled up with a photo album. It was the photo album that contained pictures from her pregnancy, Isabella’s birth, and Isabella’s first birthday. She had got the photo album from under the coffee table in the living room. A picture could say a thousand words.

The next day Allison dropped Isabella off at preschool, and went to the hospital with her pre-selected pictures.

She struggled to keep bursting emotions from pouring out of her, she walked into Jay’s room. Jay’s face was cold and unfriendly. This was because he had forgotten when she was, and wasn’t welcoming any visitors. He just wanted to be left alone. Something unknown to Allison. Before his accident his smiles use to radiate light for a room full of people. He use to look at her with affection and love. She missed him so much; it just wasn’t fair, but she was always being reminded these days that life just wasn’t fair.

“Hello Jay. I’m Allison, and I wanted to show you some pictures. Maybe you can remember something from them.” Allison pulled the pictures out of her purse.

She had reintroduced herself because yesterday while visiting Jay he had called her Heather, and she wanted him to know her real name. She was dying to tell him the truth about their life together, but she knew it had to wait. That kind of blow could be fatal.

Jay refused to say anything, so she went through the pictures one by one, slowly explaining them

“Wait,” Jay demanded as Allison turned to a picture of Jay and Isabella on her first birthday.

The picture had been taken by Allison. Isabella was staring straight at the camera, and Jay was happily looking at Bella.

Her birthday was on Jay’s grandma’s deaths anniversary. Allison had wanted to have the party on another day, but jay said it was fine. While everyone was arriving for the party Isabella woke up from her nap. Jay went upstairs, and got her from her crib. Taking her downstairs her tried to get her further awake. He went into the kitchen, and sat Isabella in her highchair so he could help pass out the crackers and cheese. The cake had been sitting on table. With all her might Isabella leaned over, and she got a piece of the cake with her tiny finger. She stuck the icing in her mouth, but she didn’t like it so she spit it out. It went flying and landed on Jay’s face. After Jay cleaned his face off he picked up Isabella as his mom took a picture with her camera.

“Who is that baby?” Jay asked, not moving his gaze from the picture.

“That is my daughter, Isabella Hope,” Allison replied. Having to say my daughter instead of our daughter burnt her tongue. It was like a nasty blurb of words vomiting out of her mouth.

“She looks familiar. Will you bring her here some time?” Jay asked.

“You saw her yesterday. She was the little girl with me, but if you would like to see her again I’ll bring her.” Allison fixated her eyes on Jay.

“Thank you,” Jay said.

Isabella was only four, and she didn’t understand why her daddy couldn’t remember her. She would without doubt say things that would confuse Jay. Then Ally would have to explain to Jay that she was his wife, and they had a daughter together. Of course Jay would deny it all.

*******************************************************************

The next day was a Saturday. Allison got Isabella up early, and dressed in a sweater and jeans.

“Is Daddy better now?” Isabella asked as they got into the car.

“No, but he wants to see you. You’re his favorite little girl in the whole wide world.” Allison gave her best smile, and got into the driver seat.

At the hospital, Isabella skipped along the hallway until they got to Jay’s room. She quietly tiptoed in; Allison followed behind her. Jay had hung up the pictures she had given him. She smiled, but once again Jay was being unsociable. After a few minutes of stillness Jay began to talk.

“Is that Isabella?” Jay asked, smiling.

‘Yes it is. Bell-Bell go say hi.” Allison sat Isabella in the chair beside his bed.

“Hello,” Bella said shyly.

“Oh you don’t have to be shy around me. I promise I don’t bite.” Jay reached over to tickle her.

She burst out laughing, and climbing into his lap she asked, “ Daddy when are you coming home?”

‘What?” Jay asked in return.

Allison held her breath as Bella asked her question again. Allison asked Isabella to go play with her dolly on the cot while Jay and herself talked.

“What was she talking about, and tell me the truth.” Jay’s voice was shaky.

“Jay, I know you don’t remember, but that’s your four year old daughter and I’m your wife.” Allison shivered as the last few words tumbled from her mouth.

“I don’t believe you. Get out, get out now!” Jay demanded as she picked up her daughter and left.

She couldn’t believe him. Allison knew he didn’t understand, but he has hurt her. On the car ride home Isabella fell silent, but when they got home she was popping with questions.

“Why was Daddy mean to you Mommy?” Bella asked, playing with her long, light blonde hair.

“Oh Bell- Bell Daddy’s confused, and doesn’t remember a lot of things.” Allison took Isabella into their home.

Isabella quickly went upstairs to her room. Allison shook her head as she walked into the kitchen. She was going to make Isabella some lunch. As she stirred the macaroni the phone rang; she let it go to the answering machine.

“Hey Ally it’s Gary. I was just calling to see how you were doing. I’m going to go see Jay. Well call me back when you get this bye.”

Allison sighed, what was she going to do? She decided to cal Gary back after she talked with Bella. Allison slowly went up the stairs with a steaming bowl of macaroni and cheese. Allison walked into Isabella’s bedroom she saw her coloring in her coloring book.

“Time for lunch, sugar.” Allison laid the bowl on a tray.

“Look Mommy, I drew Daddy a picture.” Bella handed Allison the picture.

“It’s beautiful, baby. Here, eat some macaroni,” Allison said.

“I don’t want to eat mac-roni.” She pushed it away.

“Why?” Allison asked.

“Daddy likes mac-roni.” Bella was on the verge of tears, “I miss Daddy.”

“Oh, baby come here.” She climbed into Allison’s lap.

Allison held Isabella, and rocked her back and forth. Allison couldn’t imagine being four years old, and to have your dad not know who you were.

“Bella I know, and I miss Daddy too, but you have got to eat something,” Allison said as Bella slowly sat up and ate some macaroni and cheese.

****************************************************************

That night Allison tossed and turned in bed all night long. How could Jay remember Heather and not her? She had to find out more. Her thoughts raced through her head, never ending. Silent sobs slowly took place; as Allison bite her pillow, and shut her eyes tears soaked the silk pillow case. Taking a deep breath Allison sat straight up in bed, and held her head in her hands. She tried to be as quite as she could so she wouldn’t wake up Isabella.

After she thought she couldn’t cry any more a single tear slide across her face. She sniffled so she could breath, and get back to sleep. Nothing seemed to get her back to normal so she got up, and Allison blew her nose. While she looked in the mirror she saw her face all red and nasty. How would Jay ever remember her when she looked like this?

********************************************************************

Isabella woke Allison up at six in the morning. She had a horrible headache, and wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep. Even though she knew she had to get out of bed to take care of her daughter.

“What Bell? It’s too early to get up.” Isabella sat in her lap.

“When are we going to go see Daddy?” Allison rubbed the sleep from her own eyes.

“We’re not going to go see him today darling.”

Isabella whined all morning about not going to see Jay, but Allison just didn’t have the strength. While Bella and Allison were going over the alphabet there was a knock at the door. It was Gary with …

Jay.

“Jay! Gary! What are you guys doing here?” Allison asked as she let them in.

“They released him from the hospital because his physical injuries are healed.” Gary and Jay sat down on the couch.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:20 pm
Demeter says...



Here I am again! My mom made me hoover the whole house :shock: Well, almost.


“Allycomma what happened? Is he ok?” Gary asked with anticipation.

“Garycomma he woke up-” Allison started to say as Gary interrupted her.

“Hallelujah…” Gary started to say,spacehis tone expressing relief. His heart jumped into his throat. He had waited so long for Allison to say that. (It's a little odd how you change from Allison's point of view to Gary's.) Gary's bright green eyes shone like stars. I'd find it better to say "twinkles enthusiastedly" in this situation.)

“Nocomma Gary, he’s suffering from memory loss. He thinks he’s twenty-five againreplace period with a comma [s]Gary[/s] and he doesn’t remember Bella or… or even me.” They walked inside.


Repetition of "Gary" is unneeded.


Once inside the waiting room, Allison took one look at Gary and began to sob. Gary held her because he didn‘t know what else to do. Being a very non-emotional man(comma here. I find this contradictory, seeing as Gary was so relieved to hear Jay had woken up.) he tried to comfort her as best he could. Isabella looked up at them in confusion. Would she be that confused? She's only four, after all. In between her sobs Allison [s]informed him[/s] told Gary that Jay needed to see him. Allison kept Isabella in the waiting room with her as Gary slowly walked into Jay’s room.



[s]Gary was shocked himself; Allison could tell by his facial expression.[/s] Gary looked shocked. Allison didn’t want to push the subject; she just wanted to be there with her husbandcomma so she didn’t correct him on her name. Allison made note to herself to ask Gary who Heather was because by the expression on his face she was someone dear to him. Gary was shocked and heartbroken to hear of his late wife’s name. he hadn’t openly talked about her since her death. He was grateful to Allison for not asking of her name.



“Gary, who’s Heather?” Allison regretted asking the question once she saw a single tear run down Gary’s right cheek.

“Ally, Heather was my late wife. We were high school sweethearts, and we were married for five years.” Gary regained his self-control by taking in air like a fish out of sea.

“Oh, Gary, I’m sorry.” Allison stared down at her hands.


Rascalover, your characters tend to start their dialogue with the other person's name and repeat the names often. It's not needed – we know who they are talking to. When overused, it's annoying. So don't overuse it.


Gary looked like stone; his face showed no emotion and was motionless.


Watch it! You just said that a tear was running down his cheek. And now he's all emotionless? If this were a lawsuit and we were in a trial, me being the prosecutor, you would so lost the case. I just mean that you're being so contradictory at times, it's easy to grasp these little things. Okay, I'll shut up about this now – it was probably too confusing anyway. :D


Jay’s face was cold and unfriendly. This was because he had forgotten [s]when[/s]who she was, and wasn’t welcoming any visitors


She had reintroduced herself because yesterday while visiting Jay he had called her Heather


At both of these quotes, I just wanted to say "Oh, really?" I noticed several times you were doing this: you re-tell us the things we've already heard. We're not stupid, you know. ;) Anyway, it really annoys me here.


Her birthday was on Jay’s grandma’s deaths anniversary. Allison had wanted to have the party on another day, but jay said it was fine. While everyone was arriving for the party Isabella woke up from her nap. Jay went upstairs, and got her from her crib. Taking her downstairs her tried to get her further awake. He went into the kitchen, and sat Isabella in her highchair so he could help pass out the crackers and cheese. The cake had been sitting on table. With all her might Isabella leaned over, and she got a piece of the cake with her tiny finger. She stuck the icing in her mouth, but she didn’t like it so she spit it out. It went flying and landed on Jay’s face. After Jay cleaned his face off he picked up Isabella as his mom took a picture with her camera.


I'm sorry, but what's the point of this paragraph? Why is it there? If you were trying to create the feeling of golden memories or something, you didn't reall succeed, I felt. All I could think of was "So?" I'm sorry, I feel like I'm being so harsh, but I just needed to say that.


“Is that Isabella?” Jay asked, smiling.

‘Yes it is. Bell-Bellcomma go say hi.” Allison sat Isabella in the chair beside his bed.

“Hello,” Bella said shyly.

“Oh you don’t have to be shy around me. I promise I don’t bite.” Jay reached over to tickle her.


Jay's character isn't very believable in this part. Would he remember Isabella's name and talk so casually when his memory's basically gone?


Allison asked Isabella to go play with her dolly on the cot while Jay and herself talked. You're getting ahead of things – they're not talking yet. And I think the thought's unneeded anyway, just end the sentence with the "cot".

“What was she talking about,replace comma with a question mark [s]and t[/s]Tell me the truth.” Jay’s voice was shak[s]y[/s]ing.



“BellaHere's the name thing again I know, and I miss Daddy too, but you have got to eat something,” Allison said as Bella slowly sat up and ate some macaroni and cheese.


I think that the last macaroni and cheese bit is redundant.


Her thoughts raced through her head, never ending. You're going ahead of things again with that "never ending". Silent sobs slowly took place;ditch the semi-colon as Allison bite her pillow, and shut her eyes tears soaked the silky pillow case. Taking a deep breath Allison sat straight up in bed, and held her head in her hands. She tried to be as [s]quite[/s]quiet as she could so she wouldn’t wake up Isabella.



While Bella and Allison were going over the alphabet (I'm not familiar with this saying, does it mean they're arguing?there was a knock at the door. It was Gary with …

Jay.


To make it smoother, I'd change the ending to

"It was Gary.
With Jay."


Overall

I like the idea, not really something I've read before. I also like your characterization on Isabella, and she's probably the best-developed and the most believable character in this story. Your main problem is punctuation and the fact you like to tell us things again, as I already pointed out. There are also lots of unneeded little details here. I think you should really read your work before posting, and try to do it objectively. It'll help you notice the typos and awkwardnesses a lot easier. Are you going to go on with the story or was this the ending?

Anyway, I apologize again for the late reply, and good luck with all your writing! PM or guestbook me anytime ;)


Demeter
xxx




User avatar
842 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 842

Donate
Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm
ashleylee wrote a review...



Hello, RascalLover. I don't think I have ever read any of your work before, but I love the title of this and I'm greatly anticipating starting to critique this :D

His was never to tan, but his health was always imperative to him.


This is worded funny. I'm not sure what you mean about him being tan and how it connects to his health. It would try to elaborate more here.

She picked Isabella up with all her might. Isabella clung to Allison’s body with all her might.


I would change either one or the other of these sentences. I don't really favor that both of them end with the same exact ending. My advice: change the first statement to something else. Maybe try: She picked Isabella up, using all the strength she coudl muster to accomplish this. Her daughter clung to her body with all her might, frightened by the erratic beeping noise from the machine. or something like that.

The doctor came into the room and said, “ Now Mr. DeMarcus has woken up, but it seems that he has suffered some memory loss. He thinks he is twenty-five instead of thirty-two. He doesn’t know who you or Isabella are.” Allison could hardly contain her anger and frustration, but she didn’t want to take it out on the doctor. “Can you contact his cousin Gary Vernon? Mr. DeMarcus is determined to see him.” Doctor AJ Esparza went back into Jay’s room.


Whoa, that was all very abrupt. I'm not sure a doctor would talk exactly like that either. Maybe have it seem more realistic by the doctor speaking slower and Allison asking questions. Wouldn't her first emotion be shock and wanting to see her husband? Frustration just doesn't fit. I would work on this scene a bit more.

His facial expression expressed sympathy and compassion, but Allison refused show any feelings towards him.


"refused to show" would sound better than “refused show”

“Can I go see him?” Allison asked trembling.


This ruins the self-control image, however, when we see her trembling… Either emphasize that she tries to hide this too or something to keep that going, you know?

Allison took Isabella outside so she could call Gary. It crushed her heart that her husband wanted to see his cousin and couldn’t even remember her. It took Gary maybe fifteen minutes to get there; he met Allison outside. Gary was Jay’s best friend, and Allison had no problem with him. As soon as she met Jay Gary had treated her like family. He was a kind and gentle person, but he didn’t seem to show his own emotion much. He was always worried about every one else. She knew Gary fairly well because jay and himself never were far apart. They spent their time together like siamese twins. Once she got off the phone with Gary he was there within fifteen friends.


This is kind of a choppy paragraph. You use a lot of “Gary’s” and that isn’t always needed when you are describing someone. Instead, it just slows down the paragraph. Also, you have various spelling errors and grammar stuff in there so my advice would be to try to describe Gary but also keep the nice atmposphere you created there as well :wink:

“Gary he woke up-” Allison started to say as Gary interrupted her.


Comma after “Gary”

“Hey Heather. Long time no see.” Allison raised her eyebrows up at Gary.


Okay, you have to make this clear that it is Jay speaking and not Allison because that’s what I thought at first and I was like, what? So just make sure to clear that up.

Gary regained his self-control by taking in air like a fish out of sea.


Okay, the ending part is kind of cliché. Maybe use another analogy to help this work…

This was because he had forgotten when she was, and wasn’t welcoming any visitors.


I think you mean “who” instead of “when”

She had reintroduced herself because yesterday while visiting Jay he had called her Heather, and she wanted him to know her real name.


No need to say this. The reader can conclude as much.

“What Bell? It’s too early to get up.” Isabella sat in her lap.


Comma after “what”

“We’re not going to go see him today darling.”


Comma after “today”

~ ~ ~ ~

Okay, I found this to be extremely enjoyable. I love the whole plot line of this story.

However, there are a few things to watch out for:

SPEED. I feel like this is really fast-paced and you just need to slow it down a bit, add some detail, which brings me to my next point.

DETAIL. You didn’t have that much and this is what helps the story along. Adding a little bit here and there will help.

THOUGHTS. This is one of your strong points and I won’t really take a long time here, but sometimes, you need to watch where Allison’s thoughts take her and make sure you finish them, not just leave the reader hanging, you know?

ENDING. I thought that you ended at a rather odd spot. I think that it would have been better if you ended at “Jay” because the reader would have wanted to press forward and keep reading.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this. PM me when you post more :D




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:08 am
Demeter wrote a review...



Hi, Rascalover. I'm sorry this has taken so long, but well, I'm here now as you requested. :) I won't probably have the time for the whole story right now, but I'll come back later, then, if it's okay.


His messy black hair had been uncombed


You don't say this. You don't "Hey, I'm going to uncomb my hair" but instead "Hey, I'm not going to comb my hair". See? So change this to "He hadn't combed his messy hair" or something.


His was never to tan


Huh?


[s]His[/s]Her [s]angel like[/s]angelic blonde hair whisked past her shoulders, barely touching her back. Just like her father, she had enormous blue eyes that glittered and shone awkwardly phrased, try "she had glittering blue eyes". [s]Her height was of three feet and five inches.[/s]


Okay, it's "her", not "his", because it's a girl we're talking about. Also, I think "angelic" sounds better. And we don't need that last sentence, it's redundant.


All the commotion had woke up Isabella(switch the places of "up" and "Isabella"), and she got out of the cot to run to Allison. She picked Isabella up [s]with all her might[/s], and Isabella clung to Allison’s body with all her might. Through the past monthscomma nurses and doctors had been coming in and out of Jay’s hospital room to check upon him. All of her worrying and desperation to help Isabella get through this also drained her of all her energy.A little too wordy sentence, hard to make up. Within the last few weekscomma it seemed almost impossible to carry the skin upon her bones. This was because as she focused all her thoughts, feelings, and energy towards everyone and everything besides herselfcomma she became exhausted.After the list of things she focused on, a simple "exhausted" ends the sentence too abruptly. It doesn't sound good.



What if the next time she saw her husband he was in a funeral casket? A little awkward.--- More known of her feelings rather than her own child’s (What? I don't understand)she mechanically rocked Isabella back and forth, even though her maternal instincts told her Isabella wouldn’t go back to sleepperiod



“ Bell-Bell, I don’t know.”


What's with the empty space after the first quote mark? To me, it'd sound better if you switched the places of "Bell-Bell" and "I don't know".


“ Now Mr. DeMarcus has woken up, but it seems that he has suffered some memory loss. He thinks he is twenty-five instead of thirty-two. He doesn’t know who you or Isabella are.”


The doctor sounds like a robot here... Also, how can he know that Jay doesn't regocnize his wife and daughter, when they haven't even been inside yet?


Doctor AJ had been Jay and Allison's family physician. He was an elderly man with a short stature, and his weight was below the average.



“Can I go see him?” Allison askedcomma trembling.

“No, I still need to give him an over all physical check up, and I need to explain to him some of the things that have been going on.”Awkwardly phrased! Doctor AJ stood up and walked into Jay’s room.

The words came out of his mouth mechanically,(I agree) and with no emotion. One by onecomma they hit her like tumbling bricks. Being crushed under the weight of such news;comma instead of semi-colon she [s]cried[/s] started to cry.

The nurse that had took Isabella to play with the hospital's stuffed animals [s]that hospital has kept for children to entertain themselves[/s]comma brought her back to Allison.

“Mommycomma what’s wrong?” Isabella climbed into Allison’s lap as she saw her cry.



It took Gary maybe fifteen minutes to get there; he met Allison outside.Maybe tell us something about the dialogue between the two? Gary was Jay’s best friend, and Allison had no problem with him. As soon as she met Jaycomma Gary had treated her like family. He was a kind and gentle person, but he didn’t seem to show his own emotion much. He was always worried about every one else. She knew Gary fairly well because Jay and himself [s]never were[/s] were never far apart. They spent their time together like Siamese twins. Once she got off the phone with Garycomma he was there within fifteen friends.Uh... minutes, you mean?



Oh no, my time is running out! :) Haha. It means I have to go now, but I'll get back to this later today, I promise. It's so long :)

See you.

Demeter
xxx




User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 am
Rascalover says...



Thanks everybody for the great critques!!!!!




User avatar
183 Reviews


Points: 2168
Reviews: 183

Donate
Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:05 am
LoveableLittleSock wrote a review...



AH. It's so long.
Unfortunately, it's time for me to go to bed right now, but I'm reminding everybody I owe a review that I'll get on it ASAP. I haven't read this yet, but I when I will I'll give a you a nice, long critique.

Happy Holidays!
~*Sara*~




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:16 pm
Happy Meal wrote a review...



The big critique has already been done, so I'll just give you a nice thorough review here.

First of all, there's some grammar mistakes, such as commas and past-tense problems. However, that has already been addressed, so it's all fine. Some sentences aren't so strong as well and are, for lack of a better word, sort of basic. In other words, you could have phrased them less awkwardly.

As for positive points, your character development is pretty well-done. Isabella seems like your average four-year-old, Gary seems like a supportive, interesting character with SO much potential and, most of all, Jay. To me, he is exactly what a confused, amnesiac would be, and that can be hard for people to accomplish. Allison is also unbelievably human, but strong at the same time. Again, can be hard to achieve.

All-in-all, your dialog and characters are head-on right now, but your grammar and sentence scheme might need some proofreading, but nothing you couldn't correct. You're doing quite well for your first chapter, and I can't wait to see the second.




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:46 am
saves wrote a review...



I loved this.

I would give it a huge critique but it seems that has already been done.

I read over what everbody else said and it covered what I was going to say and I didn't want to be repetitive.

This is really great and if you write more can you pm me?



And to ease your worries I thought that little Bella was perfect and she was very realistic.

You're dialogue is great!




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:57 am
twilightxd wrote a review...



I really liked "The other man", but it was also very sad. I thought that is was going to be longer because of the thingy that I don't know the name of, but it just stopped. Ugh, you need to write MORE!

His was never to tan,


Um, I don't know which is your trying to say here. It should be either, "His was never tan," or "His was never too tan"

Through the past months nurses and doctors had been coming in and out of Jay’s hospital room to check upon him.


I don't think "upon" is the right word here. You could put "to check up on him"

In Allison‘s mind nothing seemed real any more.


"any more" is one word.

Being crushed under the weight of such news; she cried.


replace the semicolon with a coma.

Once she got off the phone with Gary he was there within fifteen friends.


You need a coma after the prepositional phrase.

“I’m Gary Vernon your second cousin,” Gary replied sitting beside his hospital bed as Jay got a good look at him.


OK this sentence is good, but this is the only dialogue that you used a coma at the end. you need to do that with every dialogue that you say who said it.

Trembling she grabbed the door knob.


coma after "Trembling"

On the two hour long ride to the DeMarcus’s household Bella fell asleep.


needs a coma after prepositional phrase.

He use to look at her with affection


used

After Jay cleaned his face off he picked up Isabella as his mom took a picture with her camera.


Wait a minute, I thought you said Allison took the picture and you need a coma after you prepositional phrase.

“ Daddy when are you coming home?”


needs a coma after "Daddy"

On the car ride home Isabella fell silent,


missing a coma after prepositional phrase.

After she thought she couldn’t cry any more a single tear slide across her face.


missing a coma after prepositional phrase.

“We’re not going to go see him today darling.”


missing coma after "today"

OK, that's all. Write MORE, PLEASE.




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 135

Donate
Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 am
niccy_v wrote a review...



Use of 'that'


It is just me but i have a severe hatred for the word that. It disrupts flow more than helps the story, and more often than not is NOT needed. You used it far too many times. I fixed this for you. Try not to use it and the flow is far easier.

His messy black hair had been uncombed


Messy hair=uncombed. So you do not actually need any of that sentence. The hair becomes irrelevant the second you say messy. Unless you could say : his messy hair splayed out across the pillow. or something along those lines.


His angel like blonde hair whisked past her shoulders, barely touching her back.


Do you mean: Her blonde hair had an angelic quality, whisking past her shoulders, but barely touching her back


After reading

This is very 'telling'. It is not believable because he walked into a steel pole, indused into coma, and then recovered with memory loss, with little explanation as to why. Her emotions are flat - and she is a flat character (Allison) and you have not defined the age of Isabella. I presume she is young? You need more emotional characters - how does it make her feel? What does she hear? Think? Is she lonely, overwhelmed...?
And you do not specify how hard he hit his head either. he walked into a pole and suddenly he was thinking he's 25?? Right.

But other than that a fabulous story. The characters need working, and the dialogue is pretty good, but Allison seems to fall apart at everything, and there is this crushing weight she crumbles beneath, but no explanation as to why.

Keep writing, and this was a good effort/




User avatar
252 Reviews


Points: 2816
Reviews: 252

Donate
Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:02 am
Insomnia says...



Hey, Tiff. I'm back with the second half of the critique, if you're ready for it. ;) This part is a lot better than the one before it. I enjoyed it a lot more. your grammar seemed to be improved, so I could focus more on the story than on any actual errors.

She quietly tiptoed in;


Remember to cut out your adverbs. As it is, "tiptoed" gives us the impression that she's trying to be quiet.

“ Daddy when are you coming home?”


Comma after names, remember. Also, you have a random space between the speech marks and the start of the dialogue. This is a good part of the story, if a bit predictable. It might be better to cut the part a while before where Allison is worrying about Bell saying something. That way, it has more of an impact.

Allison asked Isabella to go play with her dolly on the cot while Jay and herself talked.


"Dolly" may be a bit informal for the narrative itself. Either change it to "doll," or use actual dialogue.

“What was she talking about, and tell me the truth.” Jay’s voice was shaky.

“Jay, I know you don’t remember, but that’s your four year old daughter and I’m your wife.” Allison shivered as the last few words tumbled from her mouth.

“I don’t believe you. Get out, get out now!” Jay demanded as she picked up her daughter and left.


This all seems a bit abrupt. It happens before the reader really knows what's going on. It'd be good if you could extend their argument a little more. Have Allison plead with Jay before she leaves, or something.

She couldn’t believe him. Allison knew he didn’t understand, but he has hurt her.


You changed tense. "Has" should be "had." Once again, this part is telling. To show, you could perhaps make her cry a little, or something else that shows her grief?

“Why was Daddy mean to you Mommy?”


And here, commas before names. xD It comes after "you." You've got quite a lot of commas missing where names are concerned, so have a read through.

Well call me back when you get this bye.”


Aah. >.< You're missing a lot of commas, and possible some periods. It would read better as: "Well, call me back when you get this. Bye."

How could Jay remember Heather and not her?


Well, did he know Heather when he was twenty five? Surely she understands that he's lost seven years. Here, it seems as if she's delusional or just selfish.

Silent sobs slowly took place; as Allison bite her pillow, and shut her eyes tears soaked the silk pillow case.


This sentence seems rather clinical and detached. "Bite" should be "bit." You don't need the semi-colon, and you could end the sentence after "eyes" and make the rest its own sentence.

“Jay! Gary! What are you guys doing here?” Allison asked as she let them in.

“They released him from the hospital because his physical injuries are healed.” Gary and Jay sat down on the couch.


She doesn't sound surprised at all. As a result, I'm not either. This ending threw me, and not because I was surprised. Is it part of a longer work? Because it doesn't seem to end at all. They sit down on the couch and... nothing happens. Yes, his injuries are healed, but it feels as if things are dangling in the air still. If this is part of something longer, I apologise.

Well, that's my critique. You can tell that this section is much better than the first I critiqued by comparing the size. This one was much better, but you didn't show us much to the characters. You still need to fix up a lot of grammar and punctuation, but it held my attention. The ending could do with some tweaking, though.

Note that the comments I made are representative. They don't show every problem, but with everything I've told you, you should be able to edit the rest by yourself.

Good job, and good luck. :)

-Mat




User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:16 pm
Rascalover says...



ow thanks for the awesome critque




User avatar
252 Reviews


Points: 2816
Reviews: 252

Donate
Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:36 am
Insomnia wrote a review...



Hey. Thanks for posting in my thread. :) Here's your critique. I may have to post a little of it and come back to finish it tomorrow, as I don't have long. I wanted to give you at least something to work with, though. ;)

The room was a nauseating site, full of antiseptic smells and bland colors with bright whites.


Did you mean "sight" here? I know it could be either of the two, but I think "sight" would work better in this context.

His messy black hair had been uncombed, and it was tussled everywhere.


This is one of the first signs that you use more words than you need. The sentence wouldn't lost any of its meaning, and would read just as well as: "His messy hair was uncombed and tussled."

Every strand of his black hair was never out of lace


"Lace" should be "place," I think.

waking up at six in the morning every day Jay would gel his hair to complete his ultimate look


I think this would read better as its own sentence: Jay would get up at six every morning gel his hair to complete his ultimate look. Your description is this paragraph is good, but I think it may verge on overdoing it. We didn't need the information about his weight, if you think about it.

His angel like blonde hair


Should that be "her"? It's their daughter's hair you're talking about, I think?

Her height was of three feet and five inches.


This is another bit of unnecessary information, and it's telling. Try to show us that she's shorter than other people, instead of stating something that probably won't be very relevant to the story anyway.

A week had past since they took him out of the coma, so now all they had to do was wait.


"Past" should be "passed".

She picked Isabella up with all her might.


It takes all her might to pick up a four year old? xD Also, you repeat "with all her might" in the next sentence.

The nurse compassionately told Allison a few words of comfort


Try not to use adverbs. They ruin the flow of the story, and they're unnecessary. If they're words of comfort, then the reader will assume that they're compassionate. Look through your piece and get rid of all of them that you can find. I won't comment on them any more, because it'll get tedious.

Worry and sadness had once again stole her heart and mind.


"Stole" should be "stolen."

More known of her feelings rather than her own child’s


I have to admit, I've got no idea what you're trying to say here.

She felt emotional drained from crying and raging about her husband’s predicament.


Cut "emotional." It's grammatically incorrect there and it's unnecessary besides.

Allison looked into Isabella’s eyes, and she instantly wanted to cry.


More telling. Instead of stating these things, try describing how the tears prickled at her eyes, or something of the sort. Otherwise, your story comes across as more of a summary of events.

Now Mr. DeMarcus has woken up, but it seems that he has suffered some memory loss. He thinks he is twenty-five instead of thirty-two. He doesn’t know who you or Isabella are.”


I could be wrong, but I think a doctor would be a bit less blunt than that. He would phrase it in nicer, less direct phrases, because he knows that the news could be hard for her to hear.

The words came out of his mouth mechanically,


Get rid of "mechanically". You use it earlier as well, and neither are effective. If he says it without emotion, them "mechanically" is implied.

“Mommy what’s wrong?”


Comma after "Mommy." You have a lot of errors with your grammar and punctuation in this story that I haven't noted. Have a read through for the rest of them.

As soon as she met Jay Gary had treated her like family.


Comma after "Jay."

Once she got off the phone with Gary he was there within fifteen friends.


"Friends" should be "minutes," I think. Cut the entire sentence. You already mentioned it earlier in the paragraph.

Gary bright green eyes shone like stars.


"Gary" should be "Gary's".

He seemed to be up to him old self,


Change it to "He seemed to be his old self."

Also, why did Jay ask to see Gary if he didn't remember who he was? It doesn't seem to make sense.

He could even remember something just by looking at Isabella.


Why "even"? Why is his daughter any less important?

Trembling she grabbed the door knob. Holding it for a second she shut her eyes tight trying to calm herself down enough to be able to see Jay. She worried he would hate her, and tell her to leave. She was afraid of the unexpected.


The telling is blatant here. Use description and dialogue to say these things. Also, you seem to be missing a lot of commas throughout the piece. Read it aloud. Don't pause unless you have a comma or a period, and see how difficult some of these sentences are to say.

Allison raised her eyebrows up at Gary.


Get rid of "up." It's impossible to raise eyebrows down. ;)

Gary was shocked himself; Allison could tell by his facial expression. Allison didn’t want to push the subject; she just wanted to be there with her husband so she didn’t correct him on her name. Allison made note to herself to ask Gary who Heather was because by the expression on his face she was someone dear to him. Gary was shocked and heartbroken to hear of his late wife’s name. he hadn’t openly talked about her since her death. He was grateful to Allison for not asking of her name.


This is another paragraph that contains only telling. If you can't find a way to express this in a different way, get rid of it.

Her birthday was on Jay’s grandma’s deaths anniversary


Awkward. Try: It was on the day that Jay's grandmother had died, [year] years ago.

“Who is that baby?” Jay asked, not moving his gaze from the picture.

“That is my daughter, Isabella Hope,” Allison replied. Having to say my daughter instead of our daughter burnt her tongue. It was like a nasty blurb of words vomiting out of her mouth.

“She looks familiar. Will you bring her here some time?” Jay asked.

“You saw her yesterday. She was the little girl with me, but if you would like to see her again I’ll bring her.” Allison fixated her eyes on Jay.

You stopped using contractions for the most part in this section, so the dialogue doesn't read as realistic. Try shortening it.

Anyway, I've got to be off the computer now, so I'll give you my impressions so far and finish your critique tomorrow.

Your plot is an interesting one that would be a lot better if you revised the work. It looks as if you haven't read through this before you posted it, judging by the lack of punctuation.

Your characters are also interesting, but the effect is ruined by the constant telling. Find a way to incorporate the emotions and information into the actual story with info-dumping and it will be easier on your reader.

Despite its problems, I do want to see what happens next, so I'll be back tomorrow. I hope this helps you in some way. :)

-Mat




User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 pm
Rascalover says...



Thank you so much.
Im glad you think I have captured a four year old perfectly, because I dont think I have. I want her to be more realistic to the readers. More child-like




User avatar
273 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 273

Donate
Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:30 pm
Lost_in_dreamland wrote a review...



11:11am
The room was a nauseating site, full of antiseptic smells and bland colors with bright whites.I like this opening sentence, it draws us in, maybe it's not quite strong enough but I do like it ;) Allison had hoped that her husband, Jay DeMarcus, would wake up. His messy black hair had been uncombed, and it was tussled everywhere. The paleness of his skin was alarmingly transparent; you could trace his dark blue veins all the way up his arm. Bones poked out from his joints from where he had lost so much weight; it scared and horrified Allison. Just three months ago he was a healthy thirty-two year old man. Every strand of his black hair was never out of place; waking up at six in the morning every day Jay would gel his hair to complete his ultimate look. His was never to tan, but his health was always imperative to him. His blue eyes shone like gems hidden beneath stories of the untold. Being as healthy as he was he never let his weight drop nor gain a few pounds over 170 pounds. As much as I love the description here (and I do love it) the sentences are a bit too long in my opinion. Maybe cut them a bit shorter.

Their four year old daughter, Isabella, was lying asleep on the cot the nurses brought in. She had beenI don't think you need those three words, just start with Utterly exhausted. utterly exhausted from being carried from and to the hospital. HisDon't you mean her ? angel like blonde hair whisked past her shoulders, barely touching her back. Just like her father, she had enormous blue eyes that glittered and shone. Her height was of three feet and five inches.

As Allison sat there, and watched the machines beep and move she thought of what had happened to her darling husband. A few months ago while on stage with his band mates Jay ran into a steel bar, that knocked him unconscious. While at the hospital the doctors put him into a medically induced coma. A week had past since they took him out of the coma,You can't take someone out of a coma, can you? Don't people just come out of comas? so now all they had to do was wait.


Wait…

And

Wait…


Allison’s heart jumped when a machine hooked up to Jay started to beep furiously. A nurse came running in to check Jay’s pulse. All the commotion had woke up Isabella, and she got out of the cot to run to Allison. She picked Isabella up with all her might. Isabella clung to Allison’s body with all her might.Don't repeat might. Through the past months nurses and doctors had been coming in and out of Jay’s hospital room to check upon him. All of her worrying and desperation to help Isabella get through this also drained her of all her energy. Within the last few weeks it seemed almost impossible to carry the skin upon her bones. This was becauseThis was because is a rather awkward phrase, Again, I'd just start this sentence with As she focused.... as she focused all her thoughts, feelings, and energy towards everyone and everything besides herself she became exhausted.

A nurse escorted her out of the room for fear of something going horribly wrong with Jay. The nurse compassionately toldWrong word, you wouldn't tell someone a few words of comfort, more like spoke some words of comfort or something :lol: Allison a few words of comfort, but Allison wasn’t listening. Worry and sadness had once again stole her heart and mind. What if the next time she saw her husband he was in a funeral casket? GettingWrong word. in the waiting room, which was down the hall from Jay’s room, Allison collapsed into a chair. She refrained herselfI don't think you should include the word herself, just have: she refrained from weeping. from weeping. Isabella was still with her, and she didn’t want to worry the small child. In Allison‘sI'd have her instead of Allison's, simply because that's what you've used before. mind nothing seemed real any more. More known of her feelings rather than her own child’s she mechanically rocked Isabella back and forth, even though her maternal instincts told her Isabella wouldn’t go back to sleep

“Mommy, when is daddy going to not be sick?”That would normally sound a tad bit awkward, but I think it's good in this content because it's a child speaking ;) Isabella leaped from her mother’s lap to the floor.

“ Bell-Bell, I don’t know.” Allison looked into Isabella’s eyes, and she instantly wanted to cry.

The bland colored walls made her want to vomit. Nothing was going right. She felt emotionally drained from crying and raging about her husband’s predicament. A chill ran up her back as she saw the doctor come her way.

The doctor came into the roomYou don't need to repeat this line. and said, “ Nowcomma Mr. DeMarcusIf it's her husband would the doctor not refer to him as Jay? has woken up, but it seems that he has suffered some memory loss. He thinks he is twenty-five instead of thirty-two. He doesn’t know who you or Isabella are.” Allison could hardly contain her anger and frustration, but she didn’t want to take it out on the doctor. “Can you contact his cousin Gary Vernon? Mr. DeMarcus is determined to see him.” Doctor AJ Esparza went back into Jay’s room.

Doctor AJ had been Jay and Allison family physician. He was an older man with a short stature, and his weight was below the average. His facial expression expressedNever, ever, ever, ever put expression and expressed together :lol: sympathy and compassion, but Allison refused to show any feelings towards him. She wanted to make the appearance that she had everything under control.

“Can I go see him?” Allison asked trembling.

“No, I still need to give him an over all physical check up, and I need to explain to him some of the things that have been going on.” Doctor AJ stood up and walked into Jay’s room.

The words came out of his mouth mechanically, and with no emotion. One by one they hit her like tumbling bricks. Being crushed under the weight of such news; she cried.

The nurse that had took Isabella to play with the stuff animals that hospital has kept for children to entertain themselves brought her back to Allison.

“Mommy what’s wrong?” Isabella climbed into Allison’s lap as she saw her cry.

“Oh Bell, Mommy wants Daddy to get better. I miss him.” Allison dug for her cell phone in her brown leather handbag. Handbag is one word :lol:

Allison took Isabella outside so she could call Gary. It crushed her heart that her husband wanted to see his cousin and couldn’t even remember her.Fantastic line, absolutely lovely. It's just .... rightt. XD It took Gary maybe fifteen minutes to get there; he met Allison outside. Gary was Jay’s best friend, and Allison had no problem with him. As soon as she met Jaycomma Gary had treated her like family. He was a kind and gentle person, but he didn’t seem to show his own emotion much. He was always worried about every one else. She knew Gary fairly well because jay and himself never werewere never, not never were, sounds better. far apart. They spent their time together like siamese twins. Once she got off the phone with Gary he was there within fifteen friends. What ? :lol: Typo methinks :lol: fifteen friends? You mean minutes:D

“Ally what happened? Is he ok?” Gary asked with anticipation.

“Garycomma he woke up-” Allison started to say as Gary interrupted her.

“Hallelujah…” Gary started to say,his tone expressing relief. His heart jumped into his throat. He had waited so long for Allison to say that. Gary's bright green eyes shone like stars.

“No Gary, he’s suffering from memory loss. He thinks he’s twenty-five again. Gary he doesn’t remember Bella or… or even me.” They walked inside.

Once inside the waiting room, Allison took one look at Gary and began to sob. Gary held her because he didn‘t know what else to do. Being a very non-emotional man he tried to comfort her as best he could. Isabella looked up at them in confusion. In between her sobs Allison informed him that Jay needed to see him. Allison kept Isabella in the waiting room with her as Gary slowly walked into Jay’s room.

“Who are you?” Jay asked as he looked at Gary like a stranger from hell.

“I’m Gary Vernon your second cousin,” Gary replied sitting beside his hospital bed as Jay got a good look at him.

The doctor was also in the room; apparently Gary had walked in on their conversation. Feeling disrespectful Gary just sat and listened quietly.

“Like I was saying, Jay it’s two-thousand and eight, not the year two-thousand. Jay, you are thirty-two, and not twenty-five.”I, am so proud of you! I love you so much for not putting figures. It's so much better looking! And I love the speech here, it's very realistic, well done ;) Jay just denied everything the doctor said.

His voice full of venom, Jay looked alive with spirit. Unlike being in a coma, his hair was patted down, and his skin was full of color. He seemed to be up to him old self, but that was the problem he was stuck in the past. Jay contorted his face with a frown, and refused to listen to what the doctor had to say any further.

All conversation was ending, and the doctor was leaving the room when Gary got up to go with the doctor into the hallway. He asked him when Jay was going to regain his memory.

Gary learned that it depended on the certain person and time. Photographs or old home videos could defiantly spark a plug and help him regain a formation of a recollection.

Gary asked Allison to bring Isabella in to see Jay.

“Gary I can’t, he doesn’t even know my name.” Allison trembled.

“Ally I know this is hard for you, but Jay could remember anything just by seeing your face, or hearing your voice. He could even remember something just by looking at Isabella. Please, Allison, please.” Allison reluctantly gave in.

Trembling she grabbed the door knob. Holding it for a second she shut her eyes tight trying to calm herself down enough to be able to see Jay. She worried he would hate her, and tell her to leave. She was afraid of the unexpected. Reopening her eyes Allison walked into his room. As she walked into his room, Jay’s magnificent blue eyes washed over her.

“Hello Jay.” Allison sat down.

Allison had explained beforehand to Isabella that Jay was still very sick, and therefore didn’t know a whole lot; Bella sat very still in her mother’s lap.

“Hey Heather. Long time no see.” Allison raised her eyebrows up at Gary.

Gary was shocked himself; Allison could tell by his facial expression. Allison didn’t want to push the subject; she just wanted to be there with her husband so she didn’t correct him on her name. Allison made note to herself to ask Gary who Heather was because by the expression on his face she was someone dear to him. Gary was shocked and heartbroken to hear of his late wife’s name. he hadn’t openly talked about her since her death. He was grateful to Allison for not asking of her name.

For the duration of their visit no one said any thing about the name mistake. Then it was time for visitors to leave, so Gary took Ally and Bella home.

On the two hour long ride to the DeMarcus’s household Bella fell asleep.

“Gary, who’s Heather?” Allison regretted asking the question once she saw a single tear run down Gary’s right cheek.

“Ally, Heather was my late wife. We were high school sweethearts, and we were married for five years.” Gary regained his self-control by taking in air like a fish out of sea.

“Oh, Gary, I’m sorry.” Allison stared down at her hands.

“Don’t be. Heather died giving birth to our daughter Sara, but a week after her birth Sara died of Sudden Infant Death syndrome.” Gary looked like stone; his face showed no emotion and was motionless.

Nothing else was said the rest of the way. While they got close to Allison’s home a lump grew bigger and bigger in her throat, but she refused to cry. Allison thanked him for the ride home, and got Isabella out of the car. On the outside of their house it looked big and elegant with white peelers supporting the front porch. Opposite from the outside the inside looked warm and cozy. Jay had let her decorate their home any way she had wanted. To this decision little of Jay was expressed through the house, but he did have his studio which was a room in the left corridor.

Once into her countryside home Allison put Bella into her bed. DescendingThis is kind of discertionary, you don't need this information. down the stairs Allison racked her brain to try and remember if Jay ever said anything about Heather. As nothing came to mind she sat on the couch curled up with a photo album. It was the photo album that contained pictures from her pregnancy, Isabella’s birth, and Isabella’s first birthday. She had got the photo album from under the coffee table in the living room. A picture could say a thousand words.

The next day Allison dropped Isabella off at preschool, and went to the hospital with her pre-selected pictures.

She struggled to keep bursting emotions from pouring out of her, she walked into Jay’s room. Jay’s face was cold and unfriendly. This was because he had forgotten when she was,You don't need the first three words, then the next don't make sense. and wasn’t welcoming any visitors. He just wanted to be left alone. Something unknown to Allison. Before his accident his smiles used to radiate light for a room full of people. He use to look at her with affection and love. She missed him so much; it just wasn’t fair, but she was always being reminded these days that life just wasn’t fair.

“Hello Jay. I’m Allison, and I wanted to show you some pictures. Maybe you can remember something from them.” Allison pulled the pictures out of her purse.

She had reintroduced herself because yesterday while visiting Jay he had called her Heather, and she wanted him to know her real name. She was dying to tell him the truth about their life together, but she knew it had to wait. That kind of blow could be fatal.

Jay refused to say anything, so she went through the pictures one by one, slowly explaining them

“Wait,” Jay demanded as Allison turned to a picture of Jay and Isabella on her first birthday.

The picture had been taken by Allison. Isabella was staring straight at the camera, and Jay was happily looking at Bella.

Her birthday was on Jay’s grandma’s deaths anniversary. Allison had wanted to have the party on another day, but jay said it was fine. While everyone was arriving for the party Isabella woke up from her nap. Jay went upstairs, and got her from her crib. Taking her downstairs her tried to get her further awake. He went into the kitchen, and sat Isabella in her highchair so he could help pass out the crackers and cheese. The cake had been sitting on table. With all her might Isabella leaned over, and she got a piece of the cake with her tiny finger. She stuck the icing in her mouth, but she didn’t like it so she spit it out. It went flying and landed on Jay’s face. After Jay cleaned his face off he picked up Isabella as his mom took a picture with her camera.

“Who is that baby?” Jay asked, not moving his gaze from the picture.

“That is my daughter, Isabella Hope,” Allison replied. Having to say my daughter instead of our daughter burnt her tongue. It was like a nasty blurb of words vomiting out of her mouth.

“She looks familiar. Will you bring her here some time?” Jay asked.

“You saw her yesterday. She was the little girl with me, but if you would like to see her again I’ll bring her.” Allison fixated her eyes on Jay.

“Thank you,” Jay said.

Isabella was only four, and she didn’t understand why her daddy couldn’t remember her. She would without doubt say things that would confuse Jay. Then Ally would have to explain to Jay that she was his wife, and they had a daughter together. Of course Jay would deny it all.


*******************************************************************


The next day was a Saturday. Allison got Isabella up early, and dressed in a sweater and jeans.

“Is Daddy better now?” Isabella asked as they got into the car. I really do love your dialogue, it's very realistic.

“No, but he wants to see you. You’re his favorite little girl in the whole wide world.” Allison gave her best smile, and got into the driver seat.

At the hospital, Isabella skipped along the hallway until they got to Jay’s room. She quietly tiptoed in; Allison followed behind her. Jay had hung up the pictures she had given him. She smiled, but once again Jay was being unsociable. After a few minutes of stillness Jay began to talk.

“Is that Isabella?” Jay asked, smiling.

‘Yes it is. Bell-Bell go say hi.” Allison sat Isabella in the chair beside his bed.

“Hello,” Bella said shyly.

“Oh you don’t have to be shy around me. I promise I don’t bite.” Jay reached over to tickle her.

She burst out laughing, and climbing into his lap she asked, “ Daddy when are you coming home?”

‘What?” Jay asked in return.

Allison held her breath as Bella asked her question again. Allison asked Isabella to go play with her dolly on the cot while Jay and herself talked.

“What was she talking about, and tell me the truth.” Jay’s voice was shaky.

“Jay, I know you don’t remember, but that’s your four year old daughter and I’m your wife.” Allison shivered as the last few words tumbled from her mouth.

“I don’t believe you. Get out, get out now!” Jay demanded as she picked up her daughter and left.

She couldn’t believe him. Allison knew he didn’t understand, but he hasYou changed tense here, it should be had, not has. hurt her. On the car ride home Isabella fell silent, but when they got home she was popping with questions.

“Why was Daddy mean to you Mommy?” Bella asked, playing with her long, light blonde hair.

“Oh Bell- Bell Daddy’s confused, and doesn’t remember a lot of things.” Allison took Isabella into their home.

Isabella quickly went upstairs to her room. Allison shook her head as she walked into the kitchen. She was going to make Isabella some lunch. As she stirred the macaroni the phone rang; she let it go to the answering machine.

“Hey Ally it’s Gary. I was just calling to see how you were doing. I’m going to go see Jay. Well call me back when you get this bye.”

Allison sighed, what was she going to do? She decided to call Gary back after she talked with Bella. Allison slowly went up the stairs with a steaming bowl of macaroni and cheese. Allison walked into Isabella’s bedroomcomma she saw her coloring in her coloring book.

“Time for lunch, sugar.” Allison laid the bowl on a tray.

“Look Mommy, I drew Daddy a picture.” Bella handed Allison the picture.

“It’s beautiful, baby. Here, eat some macaroni,” Allison said.

“I don’t want to eat mac-roni.” She pushed it away.

“Why?” Allison asked.

“Daddy likes mac-roni.” Bella was on the verge of tears, “I miss Daddy.”

“Oh, baby come here.” She climbed into Allison’s lap.

Allison held Isabella, and rocked her back and forth. Allison couldn’t imagine being four years old, and to have your dad not know who you were.

“Bella I know, and I miss Daddy too, but you have got to eat something,” Allison said as Bella slowly sat up and ate some macaroni and cheese.


****************************************************************


That night Allison tossed and turned in bed all night long. How could Jay remember Heather and not her? She had to find out more. Her thoughts raced through her head, never ending. Silent sobs slowly took place; as Allison bitno e her pillow, and shut her eyescomma tears soaked the silk pillow case. Taking a deep breath Allison sat straight up in bed, and held her head in her hands. She tried to be as quite as she could so she wouldn’t wake up Isabella.

After she thought she couldn’t cry any more a single tear slide across her face. She sniffled so she could breath, and get back to sleep. Nothing seemed to get her back to normal so she got up, and Allison blew her nose. While she looked in the mirror she saw her face all red and nasty. How would Jay ever remember her when she looked like this?


********************************************************************


Isabella woke Allison up at six in the morning. She had a horrible headache, and wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep. Even though she knew she had to get out of bed to take care of her daughter.

“What Bell? It’s too early to get up.” Isabella sat in her lap.

“When are we going to go see Daddy?” Allison rubbed the sleep from her own eyes.

“We’re not going to go see him today darling.”

Isabella whined all morning about not going to see Jay, but Allison just didn’t have the strength. While Bella and Allison were going over the alphabet there was a knock at the door. It was Gary with …

Jay.

“Jay! Gary! What are you guys doing here?” Allison asked as she let them in.

“They released him from the hospital because his physical injuries are healed.” Gary and Jay sat down on the couch.



Plot.
Good idea. I especially love the idea of a four year old having to deal with it. Just be careful not to make it cliched.

Characterization.
Your characters were good, my favourites were Bella and Gary. Although, some points they seem a little one sided. Is there something that they really despise, something they love? Give them human qualities, make them leap of the page.

Grammar
It actually wasn't too bad, a few mistakes, nothing to worry too much about though, typos etc. Just be careful of your tenses, and in some parts you have too much noncompulsary language. There's not really any need for some of the words.

Dialogue.
This happens to be your strong point ;) I adore your dialogue. It's so realistic, and just ....right. Beautiful. I especially love Bella talking, you've captured a four year old perfectly. Well done ;)

Overall.
[i]I enjoyed this piece, as I said, it could do with some revising, but every piece ever written could. There's always room for improvement. Keep at it, it will be great. Good luck ;)

-Kirsten
xxx
12:30





Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy