12+

It's Just About Growing Up

by RandomTalks

She looked out into the darkness and knew what it meant - she was alone. The sky stretched above her and the town below. It was late at night, and the sound of her breathing was the only thing she could hear, the touch of the wind was the only thing she could feel and the stars in the sky were the only thing she chose to see. It always calmed her - coming up on the terrace in the middle of the night. There was something so peaceful and serene about watching a town sleep, she almost missed it during the day, when the noise and the hustle of the streets was loud enough to drown the loudest thought in your mind. She was a girl of the night, it always felt more dear to her, more personal. It was the one time of the day when she felt like she could do anything, even though she eventually ended up doing nothing other than staring blankly into the darkness most nights. She never came down before 2 or 3 in the morning but tonight was an exception.

She sighed, pulling her blanket closer against the wind. She got up and bid goodbye to the night before her and then went down the stairs and into her room as she had done many nights before- undetected and unnoticed. As she switched on the lights, a pile of books greeted her at the table. She pushed them into the corner and decided not to think about that tonight. Something fell on the table and she shifted the books to retrieve the object.

It was a picture, of the five of them together- her family.

She touched the glass of the frame and traced her mother's face. She was beautiful in every picture of hers that existed. She wondered how the years hadn't yet robbed her of the beauty, the strength she radiated still now. It wasn't the obvious kind that you catch almost immediately, it breezes in slowly and leaves you surprised. Her mother was just another typical housewife, running around the house, bringing food to the table and always shouting herself hoarse for no reason at all. Still, she was so different from them all.  There was something so graceful about everything she did, she could understand how her father fell in love with her.

However, she couldn't say the same for him. For as long as she had lived, Julia had never seen anything on her father's face except for a frown, at least when it was directed at her. He had the same routine- he woke up early, had breakfast early, left for work early and came in as late at night as he could. It was almost like he didn't want to come back home. Julia didn't understand why. She knew for a fact that he loved her mother, she knew it because she saw it in the way he looked at her sometimes. She also saw it in the way he looked at her brother sometimes, probably the only member of the house besides her mother whom he actually acknowledged. But that look was reserved for them only. Never for her or her sister. She used to feel hurt as a child thinking that maybe her father didn't love her because she was a girl. But she knew that couldn't be true, because she had seen a picture of her father and her sister when she was only a few years old. And they had never looked happier. She used to look at the picture a lot while growing up and wonder what happened. What happened to steal that smile from both of their faces, rendering them permanently incapable of holding such pure happiness again?

Because she didn't get to see her sister smile either. She didn't get to see her sister at all actually. She was always in her room, or always with her friends or always far away from them. She didn't get it. She was her older sister. She was supposed to annoy the hell out of her, tease her about boys, comment about her total lack of judgement in choosing friends. She wasn't supposed to forget about her very existence. It wasn't supposed to be like this. She knew her sister didn't dislike her. She just didn't want to do anything with her, with them.

That left her with the last member of their family- her brother. She smiled as he traced his face on the photograph. The world could turn upside down, but that grin on his face wouldn't. Sometimes she felt that God had sent him personally for her, so that she would have one friend in this lonely family of hers. He was two years younger than her, and he was the exact kind of stupid and silly that she needed in her life. He was her partner in everything, in fights, in arguments, in pranks and in her childhood. She had watched him grow from the class joker into the king of middle school. She had seen him lead boy's gangs and rotate girl friends every month. And she had watched him grow. But she had this feeling that no matter how much he grew in height and fame, he would forever remain the child he was in his heart. And she took comfort from that knowledge.

Suddenly there was a knock at her door. Speak of the devil. She ignored it along with the rapid beating of her heart at the sudden interruption of her silence. Never in a thousand years was she going to admit that he had succeeded in scaring her. But, of course, the door opened anyways.

"I don't think I gave you the permission to enter."

"Oh please!" he said, walking in and hopping on to her bed like he owned it.

" What interrupted the beauty sleep?"

"Like this face needs anything!"

She rolled her eyes.  "Are all 15 year old boys as annoying as you?"

He seemed to think about it for a moment. "I don't know. Are all grandmas as boring as you?"

"Ha ha. How long did it take you to come up with that?"

He looked surprised. "Well, this brain requires a few seconds to come up with new inventive creations but-"

"You know I don't even want to listen to this. Did you actually need something or are you just here to annoy me?"

He shrugged, "The second."

Julia sighed. 

"Come on! It's not like I disturbed your chat session with your stars. You should be grateful for my consideration," he defended.

She looked at him surprised and he looked at her knowingly. "Don't worry. I will pretend to be blissfully oblivious. I am just here for a chat."

She folded her arms, deciding to go with this. The easiest way to get him out of her room, was to play along. "What do you want to talk about?"

"High school. What's it like?"

That made her turn back at him. It wasn't like him to actually reply with an answer that wasn't a joke, but now it was kind of starting to make sense.

"You are not actually scared about high school, are you?"

He dismissed the idea with a wave of his hand. "Nah, just worried that my fan club back at middle school won't be able to handle my loss."

Julia pretended he hadn't said anything. "Trust me, there's nothing to be scared of. It's just the same people, the same idiotic talks, the same hypocritical discussions, just under a different roof. And this is you we are talking about. You will be leading a gang before the end of the day!"

When he still didn't say anything, she nudged him in the shoulder-their own personal style of offering comfort. " You will be fine. Don't worry. It's just high school."

He nodded. "Right. It was nice talking to you. Good night." And with a fake bow, something he had learned from the new Japanese show he had been so obsessed with, he left.

And she laid down on her bed thinking about the next day. It was just high school. And it was going to be a very long day. 

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 am
saadamansayyed wrote a review...

Hi RandomTalks,

Saad here with a short review! :D

I have a word for this - storming. This story was a storm of emotions and honestly, it was a really solid story. It is, of course, just an introduction. While characters were very clearly conveyed and an environment set up, there was a very loose story. I would rather tighten that up and run this through a narrative rather than just a scene.

Speaking of characters, I liked our main character. She teeters on the edge of being a walking cliche, but you've written her - somewhat well. Sorry to be a bit on the blunt side, but I'm a little tired of seeing characters like her so much. They do feel relatable, but, once in a while - I want an upbeat, open protagonist.

Another criticism is the dad who doesn't like her daughter (sort of) trope. You could've handled it a bit better if I was to say, as that one seems rather formulaic to me compared to other characters of that sort.

The sister parts and the mother part feel skimmed through, as if they are not to be put our attention on. The mother is generic, and the sister doesn't feel like she has a full-fledged backstory apart from just not interacting with her sister.

The brother character is my favorite. He is popular, yet nervous. Fun, yet has fears. That is the kind of character that has massive potential of messing up, and I must say you did a great job of converting him into a humane, relatable figure yet contrasting him with his sister.

I'm sorry again as I was a bit too blunt, in my opinion. But, you see, I just felt like these were good characters, but not good for the job. A different cast of characters would've benefitted this storyline in my very, very humble opinion.

Okay, no more criticisms. On the positive side, this is a very emotional story. The drama is on point, the references are spot on, and it feels like it is cohesive and emotional. It evokes feelings, which is a huge plus with the number of stories and poems I've read that just feel numb and devoid of emotion.

Your writing style, especially the dialogs and how they're timed is impeccable. It is simple yet has the ornaments. I enjoy this sort of writing style because it has something good for everyone. So, a good job there.

Overall, I really liked this and would love a continuation.

Please discard anything that is not to the benefit of your writing, and keep the rest, if you want.

Stay safe, stay happy and stay cool!
SAAD :D

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:28 am

Hi RandomTalks,

I honestly don't know what feeling I was left with here when I finished the story. It was a refreshing and interesting story you presented. I definitely like how you describe everything in detail, and give each family member such a distinct personality, even though only Julia and her brother are directly involved in any dialogue.

Let's start with your introduction. I think she is the highlight of the whole story. Since it's told from her perspective, I think it's only good that she also gets the deepest explanation and I have to say that I like it immensely. I can really relate to Julia and understand why she likes the night so much. It also gives a very good insight into her personality. I also think in general you have shown the best descriptions and structure there.

The transition to mother and father is good. On the one hand I like the insight here and also that there is something sad in the air when she goes over to the father and describes that he is so rarely at home. Perhaps it can be inferred that he prefers to be alone with the mother than with the children?

I thought the description/introduction of the sister was a bit too short. I think you could have expanded it a bit more to give more of a sense of what exactly the relationship is between her and Julia. It seems a bit opaque at the moment.

I like how you manage to go in the direction of the dialogue with the transition to her brother and how a teasing game between the two develops into a serious question and also how the fear of the unknown, of the new, grows.

I found it a very interesting story. As I said, I don't know how I felt when I reached the end. I found the story very uplifting, but there was something isolated about it, as if they were a family but separated between the walls and doors.

Other points that caught my eye:

when the noise and the hustle of the streets was loud enough to drown the loudest thought in your mind.

Here comes a "were" instead of a "was".

It was the one time of the day when she felt like she could do anything, even though she eventually ended up doing nothing else than staring blankly into the darkness most nights.

I can really relate to that. It's like time stands still in the darkness because you don't realise how long you've been sitting there, dreaming away.

She was her older sister. She was supposed to annoy the hell out of her, tease her about boys, comment about her total lack of judgement in choosing friends. She wasn't supposed to forget about her very existence.

I like the description here and how you want to build a special relationship between the two sisters here.

It was a really beautiful and very detailed story about a family. I liked it! :D

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:45 am
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey!

I really loved these lines:
The world could turn upside down, but that grin on his face wouldn't.

Not sure about this line:
She wondered how the years hadn't yet robbed her of the beauty, the strength she radiated still now.

I feel like the "now" is unnecessary...not sure though.

I feel like this line is pointing to some big-time family drama:

What happened to steal that smile from both of their faces, rendering them permanently incapable of holding such pure happiness again?

Not sure if I missed it, but I think that the brother's name isn't mentioned...

On the whole, the characters have a lot of life, with distinctive personalities, especially the brother. Can't wait for the next part.

Keep writing.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey RandomTalks!

My name is Elinor, and I thought I would drop by to give you a quick review. I'm curious about you mentioned this being your first attempt at a novel. Is this supposed to be the first chapter? I'm definitely intrigued by the story you've set up thusfar, and I want to know more about these characters.

I wanted to echo Overwatch's comments about your character descriptions. We don't learn Julia's name until later on in the piece, and that point, it was jarring. I'd also like to know the brother's name, and a little bit more about them. I could infer that Julia was 17 and feels a connection to her brother, but I'd like to know a little bit more about this family. Rather than telling us that they are emotionally distant, is there a way you can show it through their words and actions? An unwashed sink of dishes here, a silent interaction in a living room there. Maybe the brother is starting school without the proper supplies?

Just things to think about. I am curious to see where you take this, as I like your writing and as mentioned, the characters and situation that you've established. Anyway, I hope this helps, keep writing and please feel free to tag me in future installments.

Thanks so much!

Elinor

RandomTalks says...

Thanks so much for the review. Also, I am not really sure that I know how to tag a person!

Elinor says...

Hi, you can do the @ sign and then my name. Thanks!

RandomTalks says...

Thanks! I am extremely new to this.

Overwatchful wrote a review...

Hello, Overwatchful here!
This is a good start to your story! Your descriptions are very pretty, and I definitely can picture the things you're describing. I can't wait for the next part!

There are a few things that I think you can improve on, and I'll point those out for you.
One thing I noticed is that you don't really use your characters names that much. I would just advise saying Julia's name just a little earlier, and in a less obscure place, at least on the first time.
And what is her brother's name? I don't think you told us.

Julia sighed. "Come on! It's not like I disturbed your chat session with you stars. You should be grateful for my consideration," he defended.

This is a bit of an odd section. It looks like it's Julia speaking, instead of her brother. I would advise typing it like this:

Julia sighed.

Also, I think you meant "your stars" instead of "you stars."

Any other problems will just come with practice. You have a great start though! I hope you post the next chapter soon!

Hope this helped!
Overwatchful

RandomTalks says...

Thanks for the review! I actually wasn't very sure about the names, that's why I didn't include many. And yes there were a few errors as you pointed out. I'll try to do better next time!

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief