z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Graveyard Talks

by RandomTalks


It was late afternoon. The sky was overcast with dark clouds that loomed over the horizon, just looking for a way to break free and rain showers over the earth. The wind was unfeeling- it didn't carry relief, just a foreboding taste of what was about to come. The streets were empty, it seemed like the entire place had been vacated in preparation of the storm. And the birds were lonely in the sky, flying in flocks towards what seemed like a singular destination.

Julia sat by the headstone, her knees drawn up to her chest, her eyes trained on the single piece of stone, as if willing it to be something it it was not. She did not care about a storm. She did not care if the sky broke free or if the earth swallowed her whole. She was going to sit there and wait, just as she had been waiting for the past six months to understand how her life could have changed so drastically over such a short period of time; how her sister could be there one minute, laughing and making waves in the air with her hands, and then simply just not exist anymore.

It had been six months since the accident, six months since she had begged her sister to drive her over to a friend's house for a late night party. It had been winter and the streets were nearly empty. When it suddenly started to snow, they could no longer contain their excitement and began yelling and singing into the night. That was when the other car came. The screech of the tires was the only thing she heard before everything turned black.

Two hours later she woke up in a hospital and learned that her sister was no longer in the world. She was dead, gone forever.

The doctor had assured them that she had not suffered, that she went away without knowing that she was going. Her mother had cried. Her father had consoled her. And all the while, she was numb.

Just as she was now. Just as she had been for the past six months. Numb.

She pulled her knees closer to her chest and tried breathing evenly. In and out. People claimed that it was a great trick to regain control over oneself. But she disagreed. What was there to control? It was over. She was gone. And was not coming back.

The leaves on the ground made a scrunching sound and she turned her head to catch a shadow. It was a girl. She had seen her several times in the last six months- sometimes coming in, sometimes leaving and sometimes just standing in the corner, still like a statue, but always alone. She felt a kind of empathy for the girl, which to be honest was the most she had felt in months. She saw in her a kindred soul, who had lost as she had and who was alone just as she was. Sometimes their paths would cross and they would nod or share a quick smile of sympathy and understanding. But today she spoke up.

"Hello?"

The leaves protested some more and soon she was standing in front of her in her usual shirt and jeans. She actually could not remember seeing her in anything else. Always the same clothes, always with her hair twisted twisted away from her face in the same bun- neat and tidy, so unlike her sister. She shook her head to clear such thoughts.

The girl smiled. She had a kind smile.

"Bad day to be out, isn't it?" she asked.

"Didn't stop us."

The girl smiled. "True".

When neither said anything else, the girl spoke up, "Is it okay if I sit here? It's too quiet here today."

Julia didn't know what else to say, so she nodded.

"Are you sure? I don't want to disturb you."

"You won't."

She shifted on the ground to make space for her. After they were both resting against the headstone, no one said anything for a while. It was a comfortable silence, one that was better off without being disturbed by words. Julia was sick of it.

"If you don't mind my asking, who did you lose?"

"Someone very close to me."

"Oh".

When she didn't say anything further, Julia turned away thinking that maybe she didn't want to talk about it.

"Do you miss them?" she asked again.

"Every day. Every moment. I don't know how to escape it. I don't know if it's possible."

Julia nodded, she understood her. She understood this stranger more than she had understood the last six months of her life. Julia has been so alone. And for a moment here with the girl who had lost as well, she hadn't felt the same anymore. Maybe that is what gave her the freedom to talk.

"Who is that?" the girl asked.

"That is my sister," she said without turning away from the headstone in front of them, "Her name was Helen. She passed away in a car accident last winter."

"I heard about that one," she said softly. "How are you dealing with it?"

"I'm not. It's like you said. I don't know how to. I don't know if I can. There's this....endless emptiness inside me that I try to contain, try to understand, try to make peace with so that I can move on, but every time I try, it just fills me up and consumes me from the inside until there is nothing else left anymore."

The girl nodded like she understood her too.

"Do you?" she asked.

"Excuse me?" Julia said.

"Do you really want to move on? Because spending each and every single day in a graveyard, staring at a stone isn't the way to go about."

Julia turned on her with a laugh. "You are one to talk. You spend each and every single day in here too. I have seen you!"

"Well, I am not the one who said she wants to move on!"

"Whatever."

No one said anything for a while. Julia felt bad for accusing her that way. She was probably the only person who hadn't treated her like a basket case and here she was pushing her away. She sighed.

"No, I don't."

"Why not?"

Julia just shook her head. "It's not fair."

The girl nodded. "I get it."

Julia turned to her surprised. "You agree?"

"I am not saying that I agree. I am just saying that I understand. Besides, I don't think moving on is something that can be accomplished when the world decides it's time or when we decide, for the matter. We have to really want it. Even then, it's not so easy. It will cripple you at first, the thought of living without the person you have known your entire life. It will engulf you and destroy you, until you can't stand anymore. But you will, because this is life and life will demand you to make a stand. So you will stand and you will fall. Again and again until the pain becomes a part of you and you learn to live with it. That is when you will truly become a survivor."

Julia could already feel the pain crushing her chest at her words. She gulped.

"I will never stop missing her."

"You won't."

"Then what is the point?"

"I don't know. Maybe, someday, at some point in the future when it isn't so dark anymore, we will understand why we fought through our suffering instead of giving into it. Maybe someday it will even become worth it. Who knows?"

Julia nodded. No one said anything for a while. But Julia felt like she needed to say this. "Thanks for this. I just needed...to talk, you know?"

"Don't you talk with your parents?"

Julia hesitated. "I...it's complicated."

"How so?"

She didn't say anything and wouldn't meet her eyes but could feel her gaze burning her steadily.

"You feel guilty," she surmised, "You think they blame you for her death because you think it is your fault, don't you?"

Julia wouldn't look up. She didn't want to talk anymore. She didn't even want to be there. The tears collected behind her eyes but she promised herself she wouldn't cry.

"It was my fault. I asked her to drive."

"But you didn't know what was gonna happen. No one did. Does that make it everybody's fault then?"

"You know what I mean."

"No, I don't. Sometimes things happen. You can't control them. But that doesn't make it anybody's fault."

Julia shook her head. "It should have been me. She didn't deserve it."

"And you do?"

"No one does."

Julia could feel her stare as though it reached directly into her "Your parents don't blame you, so you need to stop blaming yourself. If not for your sake then for theirs, because they lost a daughter too."

She thought about it. Really thought about it.

"And they need to know I am still here," Julia released the breath she didn't realize she had been holding in. "God, I have been so selfish! I know what you are saying, but I just couldn't do it. I don't know why, I just couldn't."

"You were just afraid."

Julia didn't say anything, just stared up at the sky instead. "I really thought it was going to rain."

"Not every cloud that's close to bursting needs to rain in order to make way for clear skies. Sometimes they contain their tears and just float away."

Julia shook her head. "I don't get it. You are still dealing with this yourself. I have seen you standing alone in the corner all day. How are you....so fine?"

She laughed. " I am not, in any way, fine. But I have seen a lot. And I have seen people grieve a lot. Death seems like an friend to me now."

Julia felt sad for her, this girl, so close to her own age, talking about death like an old aquaintance. No one should have to go through life to reach a point like that.

"I am sorry".

"Don't be. It's okay."

Julia shook her head sadly. "No it's not. But I wish you all the happiness in the world."

They sat there and talked until the light faded completely from the sky. As she walked home in the evening, Julia could feel it sitting in one corner of her being - the pain, the memories, the regrets. But as she walked inside their home and greeted her mother with a smile, she learned for the first time to make space for other things, brighter things. Because they existed. She just needed to remember to believe in it.

She told her mother about her afternoon but then realized she hadn't even asked the girl her name. Classic her. Spent the entire afternoon with someone without asking their name.

"You know the girl in the jeans and shirt? Always wears her hair in a bun and stands in that corner of the graveyard?" she tried to explain. "You just saw her last Sunday when we went to drop the flowers. She was the only one there. We crossed paths and she waved. Remember?"

Her mother smiled. "Honey, you must be mistaken. There wasn't anybody there that day."

"She was. Maybe you don't remember."

"How can I not? Last Sunday was yesterday, honey. And she was not there. It's okay you can introduce us some day."

But Julia didn't say anything. Because Sunday was yesterday and she remembered seeing her clearly, in her same jeans and shirt, hair tied up in the same bun, standing in the same corner of the graveyard every time she went there.

Who was she, who wore the same clothes? Who talked of death like an old friend? Who had seen people grieve?

Did she ever leave the graveyard? Or was that her home?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 135
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 am
QuoolQuo wrote a review...



Ahoy Ahoy,

this review won't be incredibly long because I found this entire story near perfect - everything about it was just excellent and there isn't much I can think of that could improve it. So, without further ado, here are some general comments which I'm sure you'll find taste even better with a pinch of salt.

1.

...Because spending each and every single day in a graveyard, staring at a stone isn't the way to go about."


This is the line which I thought might need a little fix with with adding an "it." at the end since I think the phrase is most often "...to go about it" but this is a nit-pick at most and can easily be brushed under the since this comment doesn't impact anything.

2.
"Not every cloud that's close to bursting needs to rain in order to make way for clear skies. Sometimes they contain their tears and just float away."


I really loved this metaphor, and though sometimes metaphors in dialogue can sit a bit awkward, this just seemed to meld into the whole thing seamlessly. So overall, this line is fantastic.

3. While I'm talking about dialogue, can I just say that I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of dialogue in this. Some stories that based majorly on dialogue can often come off as dry and a tad boring, but in this it moved the story along at a constant and good pace which made the entire have a very nice flow to it. Also, it all felt completely natural which is something I often have trouble with and thus have a great respect for anyone who can do it.

4. The only other little criticism I could offer is that the transition to the ending was a little awkward (in my opinion which isn't really saying much) with the line:

They sat there and talked until the light faded completely from the sky.


What might be setting me off a little about this line is that the last line of dialogue before it felt like the end of the conversation and so perhaps some sort of transition of the two saying goodbye might have fit better? But this is just my interpretation and the story still retains its impact and message with this causing no hinderance to it.

5.
Did she ever leave the graveyard? Or was that her home?


As one last comment, I just wanted to say that I thought the string of questions at the end was a very effective end as you don't often see short stories with that but I think it worked tremendously well here. So again, fantastic work.

And that's about all I can say (I'm lying, I could go on and on about how well the emotions and mental states of the two characters as well as how well the themes are conveyed among other things, but then I think I would just start repeating what other people have already pointed out and then this review would be getting a bit too long so I might as well wrap it up here).
All in all *chefs kiss*

adiós

-quool




RandomTalks says...


Thank you so much for the review!



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:10 am
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi RandomTalks,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

A very, very beautiful story you present to us. I liked the simplicity of the plot, which revolves around something every day. You presented the questions that go through your mind at such a moment in a very interesting text.
You put the reader right into this rather sad mood with your descriptions of the first paragraphs. That's all that's needed to understand what's going to happen in the cemetery in the next few minutes.
The dialogue is very well done, I clearly feel immersed in the fact that it comes from the point of view of a teenager who blames himself for the death of his sister. Of course, it's a very difficult situation, and you can't just carry on as if nothing had happened. But you also can't imagine that life means "won" and death means "lost".

"I'm not. It's like you said. I don't know how to. I don't know if I can. There's this....endless emptiness inside me that I try to contain, try to understand, try to make peace with so that I can move on, but every time I try, it just fills me up and consumes me from the inside until there is nothing else left anymore."


You can clearly see how much she blames herself for her sister's death. It's also clear to see how much she herself doesn't know what happened. I find your statement there really very believable.

"Do you really want to move on? Because spending each and every single day in a graveyard, staring at a stone isn't the way to go about."


A very harsh example and yet it is the truth. But you can't just go on from one moment to the next as if nothing had happened. I think this conversation in particular is very important, that you process what happened and reflect on yourself because you really go down alone when you lose a loved one.

"But you didn't know what was going to happen. No one did. Does that make it everybody's fault then?"


Wow. That's another sentence so simply crafted and yet with so much emotion attached to it. Life is unknown and unexplored. No one knows what to expect.

I had a lot of fun reading it. On the one hand, the short story felt like a wonderful play that I'm sure could be adapted in the same way, but also like an attempt to work through grief and guilt in a frame story.

I don't think you were trying to give anyone goosebumps at the end when Julia learns that there really wasn't this girl at the graveyard. It seems like a cruel attempt by a child/teenager to mentally work through their problems and that's why they imagine they have someone to talk to. (Which is a think a common thing children do.)

You clearly have the upper hand here. It is a very philosophical question that you present in prosaic form. You've really handled it very well.

Mailice.




RandomTalks says...


Thank you so much for the review!



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 3296
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:17 am
PoetryMisfit says...



Hi!

I would like to share a few thoughts:

"It was late afternoon. The sky was overcast with dark clouds that loomed over the horizon, just looking for a way to break free and rain showers over the earth. The wind was unfeeling- it didn't carry relief, just a foreboding taste of what was about to come. The streets were empty, it seemed like the entire place had been vacated in preparation of the storm. And the birds were lonely in the sky, flying in flocks towards what seemed like a singular destination."

I love your descriptions here! This is a really strong beginning that really reeled me in with the way you personified the weather and the birds. I could picture the scene in my mind.

"Julia sat by the headstone, her knees drawn up to her chest, her eyes trained on the single piece of stone, as if willing it to be something it it was not. She did not care about a storm. She did not care if the sky broke free or if the earth swallowed her whole. She was going to sit there and wait, just as she had been waiting for the past six months to understand how her life could have changed so drastically over such a short period of time; how her sister could be there one minute, laughing and making waves in the air with her hands, and then simply just not exist anymore."

I think you captured Julia’s feelings really well, and descriptions again flow really well.

“She shifted on the ground to make space for her. After they were both resting against the headstone, no one said anything for a while. It was a comfortable silence, one that was better off without being disturbed by words. Julia was sick of it.”

I was a bit confused at this part. Why is Julia sick of the silence if she finds it comfortable?

“‘I am not saying that I agree. I am just saying that I understand. Besides, I don't think moving on is something that can be accomplished when the world decides it's time or when we decide, for the matter. We have to really want it. Even then, it's not so easy. It will cripple you at first, the thought of living without the person you have known your entire life. It will engulf you and destroy you, until you can't stand anymore. But you will, because this is life and life will demand you to make a stand. So you will stand and you will fall. Again and again until the pain becomes a part of you and you learn to live with it. That is when you will truly become a survivor.”

This dialogue is a very profound take on loss and addresses hard truths that I think Julia needed to hear. Also, I think it's interesting that she learns it from a stranger in a graveyard who I'm oretty sure is a ghost.

"Julia could feel her stare as though it reached directly into her 'Your parents don't blame you, so you need to stop blaming yourself. If not for your sake then for theirs, because they lost a daughter too.'" (I suggest adding a period between her and your)

"Not every cloud that's close to bursting needs to rain in order to make way for clear skies. Sometimes they contain their tears and just float away."

This line is really beautiful.

Overall, I really liked your story for the vivid descriptions and dialogue that took a philosophical turn on the theme of loss. I think Julia is very relatable and the dialogue flowed really well. I hope to see more of you writing. :)




RandomTalks says...


Thanks for your review!




Change isn't inherently good, but you can't stop it, so let's just enjoy the ride. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheSilverFox