z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Evil is . . .

by QuietQuilla


October 31, 2013

All over the world there are different cultures and views on certain topics. Although, some subjects are overly viewed in a very commonly matter (opinion wise). Between the countries evil is something defined by the deaths of a massive amount of people. To loss something as precious as a life is truly regretful, the loss of hundreds is devastating. Is this evil? Or is it just an untold unfortunate fate? Is evil something humans blame/ categorize events in… This paper will display evil throughout literature and society as an internal force that corrupts humankind by feeding selfish desires in The Lord of the Flies, “The Unconscious Hums, Destroy!,” and the “Obama and McCain Debate”.

In The Lord of the Flies William Golding portrays the irony of evil internally thought children by displaying them as murderers after the fest. Isolated on an abandoned island with creatures and animals it is human nature to be paranoid and because of that lunacy all reason is left behind. So, when an individual broke a rule, disbanded, and took the role as chief; the boys emotions were fickle. The boys needed something to keep their inert-selves at bay; they needed something to fight against. Now out of the terror rose another desire, thick, urgent, blind. ‘Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!’”(p.218). When people are petrified they do disturbing things, evil even. Jack, Ralph, Piggy, and all the other boys viciously murders Simon in fear. They committed an act of evil because the battle with fear won over their senses internally.

In the article written by a Mr. Morrow evil in displayed by the unconsciousness mind of a murderer and view of evil as a disease. “The Unconscious Hums, Destroy!” Written by Lance Morrow from TIME suggests that “We seem to think a monstrous effect must arise from a monstrous cause. But not much evidence turned up to make the eruption plausible.” Anyone can be influenced by evil; it is a inter battle between the good and the bad considering consequences. After a man murders a few children and commits suicide investigators look within the past to find no violent behavior. But his compulsion of guns and photographing naked children from the abdomen up was discovered. Some people suggest that evil is a type of disease, internally, that in theory anyone is capable of murder. Eliminating children for your own internal annuity or benefit is baneful. “The mind is brimming with vile, disgust, and pure incomprehension.”

Religion also takes part in the malicious semblance. Although, they may have similar ideas; different cultures and religions have their own definition of evil. In one country it may be considered evil to kill a certain animal, whereas, it is antithetical elsewhere. Religion as well as evil is centralized aspects of life with a natural connection. “Evil does exist…we see it all the time…we see it in parent who viciously abuse their children…to erase evil from the world...That is God’s task, but we…be soldiers.…confront evil.”(President Obama ; Obama and McCain Debate). Many of religions do not believe in evil, so the viewer is a important part of the matter. Obama believes in evil because he is a Christian. Religious beliefs are internal; that makes evil itself internal as well as a part of religion.

Therefore, evil is an internal force that corrupts humankind though feelings and selfish desires. It corrupts the essence of a person or group. Nothing forces the groups or individuals to do foul deeds other than their inter-selves. No one forces the children to kill Simon. No one forces parents or other masters to behave violently. It is all internal; reactions of their childhood that are forced onto the ward of today. It is an internal battle between good and bad determined by society.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello again, QuietQuilla! (I love your avi so much)

Can I just say that this was a pretty good essay? The date included made me blink in confusion, but other than that, everything was clear. Your information was explained in a simple and easy to understand way, you used good examples and backed up your research with reliable resources, and you got straight to the point every time.

I think you chose a very interesting topic to talk about, as evil is different to every person. Seeing what you believe, and the fact that you can back it up with a lot of research, is awesome. :)

One thing I suggest is breaking up the paragraphs. Other than that, this was a nice essay! It was a bit long, and not the most interesting essay I've ever read, but it was still well written and clearly good with the amount of information you put into it. It was straight to the point, on topic, and was easy to read and comprehend. Nice work. ^^




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 9

Donate
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm
View Likes
MBrooks wrote a review...



Oooh, so this is about Halloween???
No.
But I thought that from that title.
A little bit misleading, but it seems cool. :)

Each paragraph has a topic sentence with good ideas. All strong arguments. I would have made this work a bit longer, because I feel like there are more arguments you could give. But this was the best one:

'Therefore, evil is an internal force that corrupts humankind though feelings and selfish desires. It corrupts the essence of a person or group.'





Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson