z

Young Writers Society


12+

As you do

by QueerHumanBean


~Note, Please tell me if there’s anything really good, or anything I need to work on (other than grammar.) I feel any feedback helps me become a better author. So any questions, comments or concerns are welcome. Thank you for reading this!~

If there’s one thing I’m afraid of in life, it’s losing someone.I’ve never been big on friends. But the ones I have, they’re mine. I would take a bullet for them, even if they wouldn’t for me. I’m not the scared type. Or the romantic type. While all the other girls have been running around with guys, shrieking and giggling on the playground; flirting in middle school was not my forte. Hell, I didn’t even like a guy first.But once just for shits and giggles I joined in the game.

Flashback•    "Marli come join us!” Lucienne yelled as she and my other friend Isolde giggled. Okay this is fifth grade... why are we still doing this?!

Isolde’s puppy dog eyes coupling with the fact that I stayed up reading last night made me crumple.“Yeah... Okay” I rolled my eyes as I got up from the bench I was sitting on. “So... we just, we just run around?” I asked staring at the group of guys playing soccer. How I wished I could join in. Lucienne nodded her, coarse black hair shivering as she grabbed a piece. “Lucy you’re fine. Don’t eat your hair.” Isolde was like our mother figure. Lucienne and her went perfect together. They looked like sisters as well, if you count that Isolde has light brown hair that was naturally curly. Lucienne was taller, and Isolde was skinny and looked like a twig while Lucienne, well... she was the same. Lucienne quickly took her hair out and looked around. “There’s Alaric.” She blushed and smoothed down her hair. “I’m, I’m going to talk to him” She stared at him with whatever the most passion a 10 year old could. Alaric looked over at us, a ragtag group and waved and smiled. “I’m going over there” Lucienne whispered and grabbed at her arm. I looked over her shoulder.I could see why she liked him.Blond hair, aqua eyes. I took him in. And I saw him smile at Lucienne with his white braced teeth and saw him wrap his somewhat tan arm around her.

 I was jealous. I stared at him I was her looking into his eyes. And I was jealous. I didn’t realise it but when she was coming back, Lucienne was biting her lip and blinking furiously to hold back tears. “So when do we run?” I asked as she got back“Never.” She bitterly snapped.She burst into tears. “What happened Luci?” Isolde asked as she sobbed into her jacket. “He said, he said that, that he would never, never chase no-bodies around, like us, because, because we are ugly and our mothers wish we weren’t born.” I had half a mind to snap his neck right then and there.But it wasn’t all“He said, he was willing to do, do it, if only Marli joined in.”Isolde turned to me. “Go.” She whispered, her eyes flashing. “What? Why?”“You’ve just broke Luci’s heart. Leave.” I shook my head. And walked away. •End of flashback•

That was the worst day of my life. 

Lucienne and Isolde are popular now, waltzing around with their friends.

I don’t need anyone. I have my friends. 

While Isolde waltzes around with her prize, her girlfriend named Naomi, Lucinenne has made it her mission to date every hot guy in succession.

Her only woe, Alaric, who now goes by Al.

He goes to the same gym with me. He lives next to me, moved in 8th grade. 

He’s gotten hotter while I’ve dyed my hair pink, then blue and now purple. His braces came off, he somehow got so much more muscular. 

He’s also I think Gay... I’ve only ever seen him with guys. 

I don’t know if he just doesn’t have girlfriends, or if he doesn’t invite them over, but I swore I saw him and the lead of our last musical kissing in his room last night. Our last play incidentally was Fun House. You know I still like him.

His personality probably hasn’t changed. But I have. 

But I’m done with romance. One bad encounter has ruined it. 

What’s the point in trying if the person you are trying for won’t see you.

There’s a knock on the door. I look up from my phone and I rush down the stairs to open the door.

“Oh, uh, hey”

It’s Alaric.

“Hey Al”

He smiles

“Why are you over here?” I ask pulling my fingers through my hair. 

“Just finding a place to hide a body, as you do” he smiles at me. 

I laugh “Well I won’t tell. Personally I wouldn’t hide it here” I smile back at him 

“Well. Yeah.” He falters and I take the silence and run

“Are you gay?” 

He blushes 

“No.” 

“Oh. I swore I saw you and Justin-"

He cuts me off 

“I can’t talk now- well not here."

He grabs my arm.

“Meet at my house, 9:30.”

And he gives me his number and leaves.How mysterious.Honestly I’m going to text him.

“Hey it’s Marli,”

I don’t know if he’ll respond, but the little bubbles show up and he quickly responds.

Unknown Person: “Hey” 

I’m naming him 🤣He who can’t talk now🤣

Me: “What was that all about?”

🤣He who can’t talk now🤣: “My mom”

I don’t buy that for a second. 

Me: “Oh”

🤣He who can’t talk now🤣: “Are you straight?”

Me: “Ummm”

🤣He who can’t talk now🤣: “lol thought so”

Me: “what does that mean?”

🤣He who can’t talk now🤣: “oh nothing. Btw I’m pansexual”

Me: “Oh. I’m... not really... sure”

🤣He who can’t talk now🤣: “it’s fine, whatever floats the proverbial boat Mar”

Me: “lol”

So he has changed in 7 years.When is 9:30? Okay like 5 hours.

That’s too many.I wonder what we’re going to do. So much fills my head, many involving kissing. Maybe I should be an author.

I look down at my phone and see that well.

Mom: “Tacos or Burgers for dinner”

Of course my life isn’t going to be anything interesting. It’s going to be same old same old. 

But there’s got to be a way out. 

I sigh and respond.

Me: “Burgers please.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 am
Shady wrote a review...



Heyo Bean,

Shady here with a review as promised. My style tends to be pointing things out as I come to them when I'm reading, with a general summary at the end. Let's get started...

Flashback• "Marli come join us!” Lucienne yelled as she and my other friend Isolde giggled. Okay this is fifth grade... why are we still doing this?!


Okay, so a couple of notes on this. I suggest you find a smoother way to integrate flashbacks than explicitly stating it's a flashback. Typically I do it by hinting there's going to be one, and then transition into the flashback being in italicized text so that it's clear that it's a flashback and not something currently happening.

Also, for the last sentence in the bit I quoted: "Okay this is fifth grade... why are we still doing this?!" I didn't really understand it. Is it a thought? Dialogue? If it's a thought you should also make that clearer. Typically I made thoughts italicized as well, and frequent have a "I thought" tag afterwards just to make it clear.

.“Yeah... Okay” I rolled my eyes as I got up from the bench I was sitting on. “So... we just, we just run around?” I asked staring at the group of guys playing soccer. How I wished I could join in.


Okay. So the paragraph I took this from is massive. I suggest you break it up. Typically you want a new paragraph for each new thought -- or, in the case of a story, for each new speaker. Having it all mashed together makes it harder to understand who is doing what, especially when actions are being thrown in there too. Typically I either have it like one of these formatting:

"Dialogue," someone said. "And more dialogue."

"Dialogue," someone said.

"Dialogue." The person speaking does an action here.

"Dialogue." The person speaking does an action here. "More dialogue."

Does that make sense? I'm afraid I'm being confusing with how general I'm being and I don't mean to be -- feel free to hit me up if you don't understand. I just mean follow one of those patterns. It's okay to have someone speaking, or even speaking with an action, but each new speaker should definitely get a new paragraph -- and as a stylistic choice I also prefer if you start a new paragraph if the same person speaking needs to have multiple non-speech actions between their dialogue. That's just my quirk though.

Lucienne nodded her, coarse black hair shivering as she grabbed a piece. “Lucy you’re fine. Don’t eat your hair.”


Grabbed a piece of what?

I don’t need anyone. I have my friends.


These statements are pretty contradictory. If you don't need anyone, then why do you have friends? Maybe make the first sentence a little clearer about what you're trying to convey? Don't need anyone else? Don't need any romantic relationships?

~ ~ ~

Okay! So as you've probably noticed at this point, most of my complaints lie around mechanical issues. I think if you can clean up the issues I mentioned you'll have a story that is less distracting to read, so that your readers can focus more on the plot. Speaking of which...

The plot. I like the concept. The flashback is good for the backstory that leads us to young teenage love story. I will say however that I was a bit confused near the end. Why in the world did Al show up at her house? That entire exchange just kind of confused me. It was like he was there for no other purpose than to give her his number and then run away after telling her to meet him later. It was a little too convenient. She's thinking about him -- then suddenly he appears for no apparent reason.

I do like your characters, though! You set up some nice tension and could easily expand this story if you wanted to -- definitely set up questions of what Al wants to tell her and how that meeting is going to go. I like the intrigue of it all and the cliff-hanger feeling that you leave us with. Well done!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 5566
Reviews: 33

Donate
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:27 am
View Likes
Oxara wrote a review...



Alright I have come here for a review, it's been a bit and I tend to be a bit harsh, but know I do love this piece. But without further ado let's go shall we?

"If there’s... game" So this entire first paragraph is while engaging, the opposite of "show don't tell." And since you are already using flashbacks why not use flash backs to show her, or maybe thinking about previous events like her blowing off a guy or something. It's not a perfect fix, but it's a start.

"Flashback•"- A thumb of rule I follow (not that I do flashbacks very often, or pretty much ever) If I have to say it's a flash back, I need to describe it better to show it's a flashback. You should pretty much never directly tell the audience it is a flashback or whatever it is. You can use the *** to show it is a new scene, that is a good compromise for it.

"How I wished I could join in."- I think I understand why, it not being properly or not being in that group, but tell me why because I am a bit confused why she can't?

"'Marli come join us!” Lucienne yelled as she and my other friend Isolde giggled." In this one line you introduced us to three different names and that is just a lot. And looping back to my previous point take some time to describe the character's physically, it can show their young and that would kinda show it's a flash back, while also not over whelming us with three different character's and giving us descriptions for each character. It also can show us what these character's are like in a more flowing way.

"'Yeah... Okay'...'So... we": You over use the "..." I use to do the same thing, and I pretty much just stopped using the "..." And I am sure I will start to reuse them when I want to which may be soon or later but that may not be for you so my advice would be to avoid using them twice within two connected sentences if that makes sense. Or just make sure your "..." are having impact.

"You know I still like him"- Who is talking to or thinking to?

"'Lucy you’re fine. Don’t eat your hair.' Isolde was like our mother figure"- Ahh you showed us she was like a mother figure and then you told us. You don't have to tell us when you show us!!

A little note- This entire second paragraph I am just lost and confused as who is who. Like I know, but it is just confusing,you jump form one idea to another and I just get lost. like " Isolde was like our mother figure. Lucienne and her went perfect together" You jump form describing Isolde to saying she goes with Lucienne. And I don't even really know Lucienne at all so that doesn't really make sense to say that here. So transition form describing Isolde to Lucienne as a explanation to why they go together.

"“There’s Alaric.”- And then there is Alaric, you introducing more character and I am still unsure about the previous character's and how they fit together. And your jumping form idea and idea all in the same paragraph so it's just very confusing to have all these ideas loosely explored and hoping form one to another.

"I was jealous"- I thought she didn't like flirting or enjoyed thoughts and feelings like those, but now you saying you are. Yea you said she tried it but it almost sounded reluctant in the first paragraph, like when someone tries a food when they really don't want to but they want to explore.

"I stared at him I was her looking into his eyes"- I am not sure what you mean here

"Lucienne was biting her lip and blinking furiously to hold back tears. “So when do we run?” I asked as she got back“Never.” She bitterly snapped.She burst into tears. “What happened Luci?” Your jumping form idea to idea that it's hard to follow like the previous paragraph. And I was very confused because I didn't understand she asked him then this conversation was about that conversation. So go add that conversation, because this entire thing took me a lot re-reading and rambling to myself in the form of writing to figure out what you meant


"“What happened Luci?” Isolde"- Yes, yes I love this you further showing that she is the mother of the group and SHOWING us without telling us and I love this.


"had half a mind to snap his neck right"- You sure she is 10? If she is like this at 10? why? explain what happened to have her think this?


"'Isolde turned to me. “Go.” She whispered, her eyes flashing. “What? Why?”“You’ve just broke Luci’s heart. Leave.” I shook my head. And walked away'"- Wait what, how did she break her heart? I get she was jealous but she never did anything? she just stared and then she came back broken hearted so she did nothing right?

"Lucienne and Isolde are popular now, waltzing around with their friends"- You can just say Lucienne and Isolde strode past me, piratically flaring their friends in my face (or something like that I just gave a quick example to help for the rest in case you needed one) to show instead of telling us.

"Our last play incidentally was Fun House"- I am confused I see this MC as someone who blows off friends and social interaction but then she does play's. I mean it is just unorthodox, this is pretty much me though, but I would like to have more back group about how she got into theater when she doesn't seem to life talking so much.

"But I have. But I’m done with romance. One bad encounter has ruined it. "- Has she changed seems like she is just ignoring something not really changed?

"“Are you gay?”- I am laughing so hard at this , god I love this suddenness and forwardness. But maybe make the build up a little more dramatic, not over doing it but just a little more and it would be that much better.
"Honestly I’m going to text him"- Why is she not the least bit suspicious, I mean maybe she wouldn't be if she is so blindly in love but you showed she wasn't interested in relationship and that he most likely kissed a guy. But she is so willy to forgot that, maybe she is, I don't know. I have a serve lack of love or any of these experience so it's hard to say what is realistic and not.

" So much fills my head, many involving kissing"- Uh sorry but hasn't she given up on romantic life I get she only did it because she thought HE wouldn't want her, but that kind of thinking doesn't just instantly change, or at least I don't think it does?

"Maybe I should be an author."- This is a great line and I love it.

'"Mom: “Tacos or Burgers for dinner”

Of course my life isn’t going to be anything interesting. It’s going to be same old same old.

But there’s got to be a way out.

I sigh and respond.

Me: 'Burgers please.'"- I fail to see how this is true when she just had a life changing event where she changed her mind about dating? Also I fail to see the purpose of this entire conclusion it doesn't seem to agree with it before and doesn't really build or do anything? Why not just say she slept or put on dresses or whatever SHE would do.

Some side notes
The way you write texts, I am not the expert on this as I have no experience in this as a resident fantasy writer but I just feel like it is a little clunky. I mean it works and is fine but I feel like it could just be written more in line with the rest of your story and that with maybe "the phone buzzed and the words of "blah blah" were on the screen" or something like that.

Your first two to three paragraphs were full fledged paragaphs and while there were clunky and jumped around and were hard to read your rest there was little lines. It just seemed like a rapid shift, I know there was a difference between the flashback and present day, However it just felt awkward to switch between the two styles. It also just felt like there were almost two different author writing this when you switched.

Ok now that I am done ripping it apart, can I just said I love this! It took me a few times to understand what you meant in some parts, and there a lot to refine but some edits and that is nothing. The story is pretty engaging right off the bat. It has pretty cool character's (that while could be introduced a little better are still awesome) and a interesting story line so far.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions, and great job!

Oxara





For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
— Audrey Hepburn