Light (writing challenge 9/27)

by QiGuaiGongFu

I had weird dreams that night. Long ones. My dreams are usually creepy, but this was worse. Like I was back in school, dropping acid, but I was asleep this time. There were colors that I had never seen before, sounds and feelings that were all new to my mind. My body felt as though it were being torn form itself. It hurt so bad, I can't even place words to compare it. It was... immense, to say the least. The worst pain was in my eyes. Not like I was being poked in the eye, on the surface, but behind them, inside my head. It was a dream, I knew it wasn't real, but I could swear that the pain was there. The colors, the feelings, it was all there. It all felt real. Gradually the dreams slipped away, and I was able to return to a normal sleep, the kind you don't remember.

As consciousness returned to me, I could feel each part of my body waking up individually. As though each part of my body had experienced the same dream I had. I could feel the covers and the pillows were all drenched with sweat. My hearing returned, and I could hear a dog barking, and children playing outside. a coffee maker beeping, the faint buzzing of flies off in the distance. I could hear the apartment creaking, even leaves beating against each other in the faint breeze there must have been outside. I lay there, taking in the night's happenings, tried to analyze it. I still hadn't opened my eyes. I was still waiting. For nothing, I suppose, just waiting. Maybe for the rest of my body to wake up, maybe waiting for my eyesight to return from its sleep. I suppose my eyes had more to digest than anything. I could hear the ticking of a watch on my bed stand. I counted the ticks. One, two, three, four, five... the coffee maker stopped beeping. Twenty four, twenty five, twenty six... a car drives by too fast. One hundred and fifteen, one hundred and sixteen, almost two minutes now, I should have been able to see by then. I stayed in bed for what must have been fifteen minutes. I lost count after two hundred and something.

I sat up, still unable to see, and rubbed my eyes. Still nothing. Blackness. I was surrounded by blackness. What had I been doing the night before? I don't even remember. I didn't even know what day it was. Did I have work? It didn't matter, I wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. I couldn't work the calculator, or write down the numbers. I couldn't even go down the hall to pick up the forms for that day. I wouldn't be able to find my keys, or my wallet. Not that that mattered either, I wouldn't be able to drive. I could call in sick, if I could've just remembered put the phone on the receiver. I couldn't send my boss an email. I couldn't make any breakfast, I didn't even know what time it was. I started to panic. There was so much I couldn't do, I had relied on being able to see all my life. It had always been there, I'd taken it for granted.

I stood up, and felt my way to the door. I kept telling myself to breathe. In and out, in and out. Deeper, longer. Just to breathe. I hoped, wished, prayed that someone would call. Anyone. A telemarketer, he would be able to help. Anyone could help. Unfortunately, fate was not on my side this morning, if it weren't obvious already. My computer chimed in with a helpful “You've got mail!”

I kept my hand on the wall, stumbled my way to the kitchen, and found the phone receiver on the wall. No phone. I gazed over the receiver with my fingers, looking for a button, I found three. I pushed them all, hoping there was enough battery life in the phone left to make it beep at me. It started to ring. It was close, on the counter. I made my way slowly through the middle of the room, hands outstretched in front of me, looking for an elevated surface, and I found one, with my shin. I tripped and fell flat on my face, over what I am assuming is now a broken chair. I had hit my forehead hard on the linoleum tiling I had installed last summer. I could almost see for a second, but it faded quickly. But the light was there, I swear it was. Frightened now, I crawled on the floor on my hands and knees until I found a wall with handles on it. The counter. The phone had stopped ringing at me, but I knew where it was now, and I wasn't making the mile long journey back to the phone receiver that was five feet away. I pulled myself up ever so slowly on the counter top. There were knives there, sitting out, just waiting to bite into me. I patted the counter gently, covering every inch, away from me, back to me, away from me, back to me. Lucky for me, I found the phone before I found a knife. I couldn't see the touch pad, but I knew where the numbers were. 9-11, that's all I needed.

“This is nine one one, what is your emergency?”

“I- I-” The words wouldn't come out. I realized then, I hadn't yelled out when I tripped.

“I-”

“What is your emergency sir?”

Silence.

“Do you need help sir? Do I need to send an ambulance?”

I uttered a short grunt, that sounded like something in between 'Ugh” and “Fuck.”

“Alright sir, I'm going to send a unit out right away. I've got your address as 4201 Wabaker Drive North, and you're in apartment thirteen, is that correct?”

I uttered the same grunt that seemed to sound enough like 'yes' to get the girl to do what I needed.

“Ok sir, an ambulance is on it's way.”

I hung up the phone, I wasn't much for chitchat right now anyway.

That was four years ago. My eyesight still hasn't returned. But I wake up each and every morning, wishing, and hoping that it was all just one big dream. I wake up each morning and open my eyes, hoping I could see. I know the power is there, I saw light again once. Every morning I wake up, and I can't see, I am just as terrified as the first time. I know I can see again, the power is still there. It's there. I swear it's there. [/pre]

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: Well that was certainly a very appropriate title that you had there. It was certainly very well executed with this premise of someone waking up blind for the first time. You've done a really good job showing the panic of the situation and that mental checklist was also pretty realistic. Great job with the emotions there.

Well that is a very interesting place to start things off there. Definitely grabs the attention of a reader although its kind of a large paragraph to be starting things on. It could probably do with just a little bit of trimming or even splitting in two to make it just a little more snappy at conveying the pain and shock.

Oh dear that is a monster paragraph. The slow buildup to the eyes not opening is really well done but the whole thing is just extremely long and a little hard to read at first glance. You have to put quite some effort to read that. It needs to be broken into smaller chunks there if you want it to be easy to read.

You're capturing this sudden helplessness really well in these two paragraphs. We can see just how much confusion and terror this person must be experiencing in this horrible situation.

“Ok sir, an ambulance is on it's way.”

Well that sounds like the result of a very serious injury there. Definitely not a nice thing to experience for anyone. And that phone call seems pretty realistic as to how that would go down. You would expect a police officer to recognize distress like that so well done there.

Overall: So this was done pretty well. Like I said the emotions were amazing. The only thing I would suggest you change are some of the longer paragraphs. They are really hard to read and would do just a lot better as smaller pieces. Besides that the overall flow was done pretty well and the descriptions were pretty good too.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:28 pm
Quiz wrote a review...

In short, I didn't feel this at all.

There was something in the wording that made it seem a little dull, very emotionless, even though you used words like panic and had the character stuttering and cussing...

I just couldn't get any emotion from this, probably because he was so logical about it. When you panic, you're probably NOT going to be thinking about working a calculator, or calling in sick; your first reaction would be

"Oh shit, what the hell is going on!?"

not

"Hmmm...I'm going blind, better find a way to call in sick..."

--Q

It was well written, to be sure, and the only error I found was right here;

I could call in sick, if I could've just remembered put the phone on the receiver

You're missing a "to."

"I could call in sick, if I could've just remembered TO put the phone on the receiver."

A simple typo, nothing big.

It's enjoyable to read, for it is well written, I just didn't feel the protagonist's emotions...which is a big thing for me--if I can't feel the guy's emotions, why care about him?

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:06 am
Bobo says...

I might as well not even enter this contest this week. This was amazing, Qi! I didn't even notice anything wrong with it. Great job, man!

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles