A Royal Reborn: Prologue

by Pseudonified

A Royal Reborn

Prologue

Guardian Xavier Weston begins his new life among unforgiving darkness. His possessions are packed. He has dressed for a merciless, foreign winter. Yet in his search for some amount of wisdom which might help him light his way, he finds nothing.

The camp on the outskirts of Aramore teaches young men and women how to wield a sword, polish a shield, and care for an ally’s wounds on the battlefield. Xavier recalls nothing in the books about letting go, or about maintaining emotional strength in light of such a devastating loss. He wonders,what good is strength of the body when one cannot discover their own strength of the mind or strength of the heart?None of his instructors’ wise words of caution ever warned him that one minor misstep might ravage the kingdom’s foundations – might cost him the princess. General Sonnagh would smile at Xavier and say she saw nothing but achievement in his future. Perhaps Xavier could have stopped Andria and proven Sonnagh right if he had only kept awake – for Princess Andria tip-toed past him in the night without a sound and without remorse.

Slowly, hopelessness slips its way into Xavier’s heart.

King Oliver held a public lashing in the town courtyard once the sun rose to its highest in the sky. The king ordered that Xavier be given twenty-five lashes before his banishment, yet Xavier’s generous father stepped forward to receive the punishment for him. Xavier was forced to count each new scar upon his father’s back. He remembers every crack of the executor’s whip. Every drop of blood. Every cry which escaped his little sister as she and her mother were given no choice but to watch such horror. Xavier feels as though he sheds his skin, and whilst climbing from his musty cocoon, he discovers himself unhappy with whatever creature he is – perhaps a handsome thing to the eyes, but that which holds only foulness within. He deserved every last lash his father took in his place. But he could never be half the man his father is. He could never forgive with such temperance or carry such gentle courage in his bones.

Father gives so much,he thinks.All I do is take.

A light rain taps against the window to his tower. Winter nights in the sky are vicious and cold. Tonight, however, a calm silence swallows the land. Xavier slips on his boots and a velvet cloak, gazing upon the waking world expanding beyond the fields of winter crops and hills. Small candle flames in the distance create a small galaxy beyond the dense forest separating the Palace from the rest of Aramore. This land is at peace after a great and dreadful storm – a tempest caused by nothing more than a young princess and a goblet of sleeping draught.

By the rising of the sun, Aramore will reawaken to find itself reborn.

Xavier scans his room a final time: empty cabinets, empty wardrobe, and an empty bed. Tidy and vacant. This room no longer belongs to him, any more than does the Guardian title. As he blows out a candle upon his mantle, Xavier senses eyes upon his back. Through lingering smoke, he catches sight of the silhouette of a woman in his doorway: his mother. Still in her armor, Meredith Weston takes one weary step into her son’s empty bedroom. She is alone. No sister or friend of Xavier’s stands beside her.

Most importantly, no father.

“Xavier,” says Meredith gently. “I came to see if you needed help carrying your bags. Oh, of course you don’t. You’re a strong boy.” Xavier knows she has come to say goodbye. This is a farewell that would not so easily leave her tongue. With uncertainty, Meredith draws him close by the shoulders. Out of all that has happened in the past day, meeting his mother’s weary gaze is the hardest thing Xavier has had to do.

“I have faith in you,” his mother whispers. “This world is wicked at times… but Rüna shall guide you on your path. Wherever She takes you, ‘tis for the best.”

“And if I do not want Her guidance?” Xavier challenges.

“Her guidance shall grant you salvation, Xavier.” Blood rushes to Xavier’s face and tears prick at the back of his eyes. Turning away, he hauls his hare-skin bag full of clothes and food onto his back.

“Then why would she do this to me, Mom? Why?”

“Because you are strong enough to rise to her challenge.” Meredith gulps as Xavier passes her without even a hug or a glance. “Xavey?” With hurt in his heart, Xavier keeps walking. He cannot bear to look at his mother and he is certain she does not want to be in his company any longer than necessary.

You’re a disgrace,he reminds himself.What good is there in loving you now?

In no time, however, a pair of trembling arms envelope him in a hug from behind. No weakness, he demands of himself. Weakness is irresponsibility. Weakness is distraction. But even though Xavier does his best to battle his emotions, he ends up melting into his mother like he would as a little boy, shaking as she plants a soft kiss upon his temple. Her hair falls over Xavier’s face in waves and he allows himself to drown in her comforting, motherly touch.

“My boy,” she whispers with another kiss. “Be safe.”

Xavier wipes his cheek.No. No crying… Crying is not allowed. Father always said: A man leaves no room for strength if he drowns within his tears.

If there is one thing I refuse to do, it is to drown.

Xavier’s voice does not tremble: “I will.”

He flees his mother’s grasp.

North, East, Southwest,he considers.North. East. Southwest.

The Hall of the Guardians is silent but for the pitter-pattering of palace servants. Maids slip in and out of rooms, freely neglecting Xavier’s presence as though he is already rightly absent from the Golden Palace. He keeps his head low.

On either side of him hang lavish tapestries depicting his righteous ancestors. Each of them stand beside their kings, queens, princes, and princesses. The emerald flags and rugs around him each bear the Guardians’ crest – the glorious Falcon of Courage, its wings spread before an orient shield. He no longer belongs here, he realizes – to live in these halls so representative of the dauntless nature of his kind, he must live up to it. No longer does he deserve the privilege to call himself a descendant of such a brilliant array of ancestors, these winners of war and martyrs in the names of their royals. These Guardians who were not banished and forced to make a choice of where to begin his search on the barbaric Ground – a choice between the three separate destinations of the northern, eastern, or southwestern gateways.North. East. Southwest.

North. East. Southwest.

How the hell am I supposed to decide?

Xavier descends several stairwells, all the while ignored by the maids and servants whom he passes by. One servant glares at Xavier before sticking his foot out before him. With a gasp, Xavier regains his fall and automatically reaches to the chain around his neck. Right. It’s gone. What used to hang there was his locket – his only remaining connection to his stunning princess. Now it ought to be hidden in the Guardians’ hallway. He hopes never to see it again. Now, it is merely a painful memory of what life once was and what it might have become.

The palace foray soon comes into view, its furniture and walls practically dripping in garnets, rubies, and gold. Many candles lead Xavier’s path down a grand staircase. He cannot bring himself to raise his gaze from his boots until he hears the shrill cry of a girl which brings him to a startled halt.

“Lock the door, you pricks!”

A girl with mousy brown hair shouts insults at the couple of guards stationed at the front doors of the castle. She pushes one guard aside to try once again to lock the doors to the palace. However, she is easily lifted off her feet and set aside despite her frustrated protests.

“You two are just going to let this happen?” the girl screams.

“King’s orders, Guardian Isabella,” one of the guards drone. “Go back to bed.”

No.” The girl readies herself to jump at one of them, possibly to beat them to the ground herself, but the second guard easily sweeps her aside. They chuckle when she falls on her tailbone.

“Stop that!” calls Xavier. His hand twitches for the dagger normally strapped to his waist. The men immediately stop laughing and return to their posts. With red eyes and cheeks, Isabella whirls around, sees her brother in the dim lantern-light, and sprints to him. She nearly knocks him backwards when her arms clamp around his torso, tucking her head into his shoulder and choking on tears.

“Please don’t go,” she begs. “It wasn’t your fault. You can’t leave us—!”

Iz.” Xavier shushes his sister as she whines into his coat. “You ought to be strong now. You’re still a Guardian. I need to leave but you still have Benedict to protect.”

“Xavier is right,” says a voice. A strong hand grips Xavier’s shoulder. Terror electrifies Xavier at first, imagining the hand belongs to King Oliver, who looms above him with burning, angry eyes of gold. You never took your lashes, the king would say, ordering another pair of guards to drag Xavier to the public whipping post.

Yet behind Xavier is his father.

Nathaniel Weston wears his own velvet cloak and worn, leather boots as though he prepares to accompany his son on his journey. He still limps slightly, leaning forward. The incomprehensible pain which claimed Nathaniel hours ago is still present in his eyes. Whip after whip, Nathaniel never uttered one cry of pain. Xavier had never seen such discipline before.

Nathaniel pulls Isabella into his own arms and steps in Xavier’s way before the boy can turn and leave. Xavier still cannot meet his father’s eyes.

“Forgetting something?” asks Nathaniel, offering him his hand: in it is Xavier’s silver locket.

Xavier lowers his voice. He thought it had disappeared for good.

“‘Tis no longer mine, Father,” Xavier mumbles. He flinches away when Nathaniel tries to place the token around his neck.

Nathaniel frowns. “Take it.”

“No. I do not deserve it.”

Nathaniel kneels before his son, holding his whimpering daughter against his shoulder.

“This is and shall always be yours, Xavier. The King gave you a job to do. How are you supposed to succeed leaving this behind?”

Bitter anger burns within Xavier’s eyes.

“The King is full of shit,” he spits.

Son.”

“He knows I cannot find her. He knows no one could!”

Nathaniel grabs Xavier’s wrist and firmly stuffs the locket into his son’s hand.

“You are strong and you will find her.” Xavier forces himself past his father. “Listen to me, Xavier!”

“Don’t go!” cries Isabella. Xavier walks through the grand doors without looking back. Nathaniel must hold Isabella back, who hits him and shouts for Xavier to at least say goodbye. And when Xavier does finally turn to face her, the doors have slammed shut.

Cold air attack’s Xavier’s skin. He gazes at the towers overhead. His tower. His princess’s tower. Empty.

He is an outsider now.

North. East. Southwest.

A gentle snowfall arrives upon Aramore. Xavier finds his way down a set of golden stairs and toward a royal carriage parked in slush. The driver, dressed in Palace uniform, bows and holds the door open for Xavier.

“Where shall I take you, Guardian Xavier?” he asks, gazing pitifully upon the boy. Xavier looks down.

“I am no Guardian, Sir,” he says hopelessly. North. East. Southwest. In his moment of weakness, Xavier finds himself calling for Rüna’s assistance – but as always, he senses no difference in the air, no sign on the wind.A benevolent goddess. What a joke.

North. East. Southwest.

It is his decision, and his decision only.

“But you are a Guardian, son,” assures the driver.

Xavier ignores him. “Take me to the northern gateway, please, Sir.” He turns away and shuts the carriage door – shutting himself off from a life in which his family’s name is immortalized upon gates, statues, and within books of the royal library. What he faces now is a future of erratic nature as a new, humble identity is thrust upon him.

Dragongirl wrote a review...

Hey Hey, It is Dragongirl here at last! So sorry for taking ages to get to this.

So let's not waste anymore time. Diving in now!

A Royal Reborn is an awesome name for this piece I love that your story starts will every thing being ripped from Xavier! It hints at lots of growth for your character, which, by the way, I totally love! I also love your opening line. It totally hits the right note.

Guardian Xavier Weston begins his new life among unforgiving darkness

L.O.V.E. IT!

This next quote I used because it contains problem that is all through your story. No spaces

You’re a digrace,no spacehe reminds himself.no spaceWhat good is there in loving you now?

Now, I know that YWS sometimes does this to the stuff that is posted on here. It happens to me all the time. I have no idea why. What you need to do is reread your piece and try and catch all the spots that need spaces added. There are just to many of them for me to point out. Also it is spelled disgrace.

Her hair falls over Xavier’s face in waves and he allows himself to drown in her comforting, motherly touch.

This is a great scene, just had to point it out. :) The emotions feel real.

There really isn't much I can say to make this better. It is great and I am dying to read more!

Keep up the good work!

DG

Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, darling! Pardon if I repeat what others have said before me; I'm not reading any others' reviews.

Question: Is this a prologue, or a blurb? Because the beginning reads very much like a blurb, and I honestly thought I was reading a description of the piece until I got a couple of paragraphs in. It reads in a very "telling" way, and doesn't begin with any kind of hook.

Another question: Is this really a necessary prologue? Does it relay any information that could not be gained in the body of the story? Does it happen too far before or after the events of the story that it can't just be chapter one? If a reader skipped this—and readers can, do, and will skip prologues—would it have a significant impact on the story as a whole?

With those out of the way, let me go back to my first quandary: You have no hook. A "hook", in layman's terms, is what draws a reader into the story. In a novel, you generally have about three pages to really draw a reader in, three paragraphs (your first page) if they're picky, and three sentences if they're really picky. A hook—generally your first line or paragraph—is essential to any story, because it's what sells your book to the readers.

In this rendition of your story, the beginning doesn't interest me at all. It's missing all four optional components of a successful hook—character, conflict, voice, and setting—and doesn't make me want to read more even though it lacks all of those things.

Let me be clear, it looks like you have a few components of a successful hook. You start off with something that could be character (Xavier), something that could be world setup (the fact that his name is prefaced by "Guardian"), something that could be conflict (beginning his new life), but none of these have any support in the actual narration.

Instead of telling us that Xavier begins his new life amidst darkness, show us Xavier, and show us his struggles with beginning his new life, and show us the darkness around him. Because I don't know what your world is like at all, and I have no emotions invested in Xavier at all, it's really useless to tell us all of this.

Other than that, I really find nothing remarkable about this prologue to comment on. It doesn't hold my interest for very long, and it reads like every other fantasy prologue on the market. It would be one I'm likely to skip in favor of chapter one—but if you can start chapter one with a better hook, good for you. Keep writing!

Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi there Pseudonified!

I am here as requested. I am sorry that this is late, but I have recently been quite busy! Anyway, I'm here now.

I think that there is definitely a lot of potential here. The reader is definitely left hanging at the end of the chapter, which makes them want to read more. I must agree with Guardian that Xavier's character development is well done and I genuinely feel sad for him, who has been wrongly punished for something he wasn't responsible for. In a way, this develops a small critique of absolute monarchies, although I don't know if that was one of your goals - perhaps a tyrant king was just for plot development.

Nevertheless, there is always room for improvement and I would like to briefly touch upon the start of the chapter, the use of tense, and punctuation. Nitpicks will come after.

1) I felt like the beginning of your chapter was a bit slow. It's all of this exposition right at the very beginning and, as this is a prologue, it's the first impression a reader gets. Currently, it's not a bad first impression, but it could be much much better. I agree that it is important to set everything up so you can continue with Xavier's leaving home and kingdom, but I don't think it's necessary to reveal everything all at once - or at least in the way that you have. There is a lot of unnecessary things being written and it is a bit confusing - I didn't understand what had happened totally until about midway through the story. The start is also written a bit awkwardly which contributed to my confusion. Some suggestions: Have the exposition be between the action lines (ex. when Xavier is leaving home or describing watching his father get the lashes) so that it appears to be more an enlightenment upon the action as opposed to the action enlightening the exposition. Be wary of syntax and how you construct sentences - try and make it as clear as possible and this will lead to less awkward writing.

2) Using present tense in narrative can be exceedingly challenging just because the most popular form is past tense. Present tense can be difficult to execute particularly in the narration of things. I think you come across some trouble in the first few paragraphs with the exposition. It is important to be consistent with the present even while writing of the past. For example, for the story's present in present tense, you would use simple present. For the story's past in present tense, you would use present perfect. When you mix tenses, things get confusing for the both writer and reader. Here is a helpful article about using the present tense in creative writing.

3) Punctuation is fairly good in the second half of the chapter, but not so awesome at the beginning. These are easy fixes so make sure to proofread and understand the mechanics of it. The biggest thing that I think you might want to focus on is the following: after any piece of punctuation (comma, period, semi-colon, etc) there is a space. For example: The dog walked, ran, and ate. See how there are spaces after the commas? That is how it always is, so keep that in mind!

Some nitpicks:

Perhaps Xavier could have stopped Andria

Here, it feels weird that Xavier is written somewhat objectively here when it is really him pondering about what he could have done. Perhaps the pronoun "he" can be used in place of the name "Xavier"?

Winter nights in the sky are vicious and cold.

I don't really understand this. Winter nights can be vicious and cold, yes, but in the sky?

What he faces now is a future of erratic nature

I don't really see how a future can be erratic, per se. Maybe you mean unpredictable?

I feel like the second half of the chapter is stronger, and maybe that's just because you got used to writing the story and were getting into the flow, but I encourage you to keep up the strength in every aspect of the story. The beginning is especially important and right now lacking.

Overall, I really liked this. The plot is clear and intriguing and Xavier seems like a very interesting character. Nicely done!

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions/comments/concerns. I would also be happy to review anything else for you!

Thanks for the read!

Lav

Pseudonified says...

Thank you for your feedback! Lots of great things to think about that I'll definitely take into consideration while editing :)

ChimeraMania wrote a review...

I, personally, feel here (such horror. Xavier feels as though he) you should start a new paragraph. I love the lengths, and the overall length in this prologue but I feel it may be needed here. Seeing as you have start talking about something a little bit differently than the words, sentences above.
Maybe anyway, just how I feel personally about that part.
(an empty bed. Tidy and vacant.)
I think you should put this together with a semi-colon. (an empty bed; tidy and vacant). And another one here instead (doorway: his).
Although Guardian is right about the She and Her, but I get why they are capitalized. I believe you should keep it that way. To me is as if saying pray to Him; our father. Or something along the lines, but either way I get it and it's better that way.
Here, (disgrace,he reminds himself.What), here (cheek.No. No) and here (Southwest,he considers.North.), make sure to use spaces, alright. Double check too because sometimes they're hard to find. I remember reading one published book where it had a couple of those.
(ancestors, these winners) Another semi-colon.
Now I'm done nick-picking because now I actually want to read because it is highly peaking my interest because I want to know what will happen when he leaves. Even how his sister will react.
WOW. Just.....WOW. I would really like to read more of this and I agree with @Guardian about you being a really good author. This is addicting, honestly. Thanks for writing this it was enjoyable and I'm glad I chose it to review for my third review day of May.

Pseudonified says...

Thanks so much for your feedback! Great things to consider. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading :)

If you'd also like to receive some of the story as a beta reader, like I offered Guardian below, feel free to PM me! I hope to be sending beta manuscripts out by June 15th.

ChimeraMania says...

I would really like that but considering on how often I have my own laptop (trust me it's not that much) by the time I actually read it you'd probably have it posted. But I would still like that.

Wed May 27, 2015 5:42 am
Guardian wrote a review...

Hi! Guardian here!

I want to just say that I absolutely LOVE the character development here! The whole concept of a boy with no father embarking on a journey is really amazing.

What I liked was the idea of "coming of age", where the character has to assess himself, due to the absence of a fatherly figure. This is genius. Ab-so-lute-ly amazing! You are an amazing writer, and I can definitely see an author within you... No joke. This piece of writing was awesome and I can't stop myself from complimenting it over and over and over again. (Oh, and beautiful imagery, by the way).

Just remember when you're talking about the goddess "Runa", that you capitalize "she" and "her" when referencing her. You didn't capitalize one time... But it's also an option to keep it all simple and lowercase.

That was the only criticism I had about the story. Again, this is AWESOME. Please, continue to write stories like this, or continue this one.

I want to read more of your work...
-Guardian

Pseudonified says...

Thank you so much for your kind words!! :)

This is actually from a manuscript I have written with my best friend, and we hope to send a good semi-final draft of it out to beta readers beginning mid-June (ie. this next month). Would you be interested in helping us out in that way? Your entire job would be to receive the manuscript, read it, and give us any feedback on it - what you like most about it, and what you think could be further perfected. Let me know. :)

Guardian says...

That would be awesome! I'd love to read more of this! It's engulfing!

Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson