Retrospect

by Prometheus

Do not read this

if you do not want to,

But, truly, I can scarcely stand

a day without you. 

I know that you 

Don’t enjoy my flattery, 

And that my common words 

Lack any mastery. 

So read nothing more 

That I write in your name. 

Although I do it for you, 

And it is not meant for gain. 

Keep with you what you desire, 

Or nothing, if there is no need, 

For I cannot take back 

That which I have decreed. 

And, I am sorry that you read it then 

If it bothers you still, 

Ignore all further pieces 

If it is in your will. 

But, please know that I cannot stop

the words that seek to burst

From a forsaken heart,

enamored by the love it found first.

crossroads wrote a review...

Hey there, Theus!

Well, we know each other, so no need for introduction.. I will, however, tell you that I'm not a poet, so everything I say will be used against me on the Court of Law be my honest opinion on your words, which you are free to listen to or disregard completely xD

Firstly, I liked the way it was written, with the difference in the formatting of the first and last verse.. I was kind of happy to see that you did it in the end just as in the beginning, as it turned up nicely rounded that way.

I know that you
Don’t enjoy my flattery,
And that my common words
Lack any mastery.
So read nothing more
That I write in your name.
Although I do it for you,
And it is not meant for gain.

I, absolutely, also like the way you use rimes in this part of the poem. They are not quite typical rimes, and I somehow appreciate that - it shows that you gave more thoughts to the poem itself, and putting your mind on paper, than to making it rime. I have no idea what other poets say about it, but I personally prefer it that way.

The whole piece, all in all, I found very interesting. Like I said, I liked the rimes, and if you aske me, it flows rather nicely.. I loved the last line, and the overal imagery and word choice you used in the poem.
It was not overly emotional, though it talks of love, which I think is always a good thing - also, it was very sweet in that manipulative way that I appreciate and use all the time.

Well, this was somewhat shorter than my usual reviews, and I know I couldn't help much as I didn't really focus on what wasn't so good. Yet I hope I did manage to say a smart word somewhere in there, and that I helped at least a little. Or fed your ego a little, I can work with that as well :3

Kind regards and see you around,
Aria~

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 am
dogs wrote a review...

Hello there Prometheus! Dogs here with your review today. Okey dokey, I enjoyed reading this piece, it has a nice idea. I think where the poem is strongest is in your smooth rhythm, in this kind of poem where it lacks imagery and descriptors, flow is a necessity. So most of my nitpicky notes are related to that.

"Do not read this if you do not want to,"

I think the middle of your writing is pretty darn spot on in terms of the rhythm and flow of it, however I'm not sure why you have these longer lines at the beginning and end. At first glance I thought this was a note for the poem, definitely cut this line in half. Or you can greatly shorten it, try saying something like: "Do not read this if you don't want to,/ but truly, I can scarcely stand/ a day without you."

"So read nothing more"

I know this isn't your intent, but this line comes off as that you're telling your betrothed to not read anything more than her name. What I think you're going for is that if she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to read anything more than her name. Just try to clarify that bit.

"And it is not meant for gain."

You do pretty darn good with your rhyming for the most part, but here is the first time it sounds a little bit forced. Try to re word, it's nit picky I know.

"And, I am sorry that you read it then"

I think the third stanza is pretty solid, nothing much to comment on there. However, this lline bugs me. If you read it aloud as a normal sentence it just sounds off. I think that you could just cut this line out and it wouldn't have any negative effects on your poem.

I love your last line, excellent imagery and word choice there. I think I would have like to have seen more of that earlier in the piece, but hey whatever floats your boat. On a side note though, you really need to break those two lines in half to help the flow. All and all a great piece and I enjoyed reading it. I hope my comments were helpful, let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

Prometheus says...

Thanks dogs, your always on the ball jumping straight on. thanks for all the advice on flow. I'm sure ill be able to incorporate them into future works.

It takes as much imagination to create debt as to create income.
— Leandro Orr