Tryal's Curse 1.3

by Pompadour

~2659 words

~*~

Malkolm Yttrian was of the opinion that all the doors in Kelm's house had been specifically erected to annoy him. He could have sworn—if he were authorised to swear, which, being an Ixister, he wasn't—that there were twice as many doors as there had been when he had arrived fifteen minutes ago. First, two purple ones with spangled lettering popped up along the staircase. Malkolm thought nothing of it; he had seen odder things, after all, and he simply pushed past them without a second glance. Then, as he was about to plant a foot firmly onto one of the rickety, wooden steps, another door popped up. He only registered that it was a door after slamming into it. He drew back, eyes streaming, and rubbed his nose. Said door received a watery glare, but remained unperturbed.

(It was just a poor little door, after all.)

‘Eräza,’ Malkolm hissed. He waved his hand. The door disappeared. Another flick of the wrist and his nose stopped throbbing. Under normal circumstances, Malkolm would not have been so frivolous as to risk sapping his strength for a sore nose—but he was irritated. It had been a long day. He had travelled across half of Tehshia and the entirety of the Re'acian desert by dragon, and at a short notice from the Ixisters' Council, too. It had been quite the surprise, the promotion, although Malkolm had not bargained for such a tiring journey….

He was ready to begin his new job, he thought, shaking his thin hands free of the clingy material of his robe. He was ready to have Kelm meet his Meka and formally dismiss him. Because, Malkolm thought firmly, he did not need a Meka. He walked on, cursing the sharp turns and lack of landings on the zigzagging staircase. Left. Right. A steep run along the walls. Malkolm was out of breath before he had taken a hundred steps—although it could be argued that said hundred steps were built along mountain trails of old; they did not prove easy to climb.

It might not have been so bad if it wasn't for those dratted doors! Malkolm was heaving with anger as he glided—or tried to glide—along the strangely structured staircase. Honestly, he'd heard legends about this man; it wasn't that hard to conjure a Step-on-Flight if you had enough wood. He continued upstairs irritably, adding this to his list of ‘changes-to-be-made’.

But although Malkolm was learned and talented for so young an Ixister, even he did not know of Kelm’s knack for annoying people—just for the sake of it. The old man was currently holed up in his chambers, incredibly cranky, annoyed, irritated, and everything in between. He flipped through books, searching for something to amuse him, growled when nothing distracted him, and cursed the younger Ixister for his skill with engarvments. Seven silver, spindly letters now decorated the walls: it was a lock-in spell, the kind that could only be removed by its Tracer. The Tracer who was currently struggling towards him, and towards whom Kelm held nothing but animosity.

So he whispered to the staircase to rebel.

And rebel it did, to Malkolm’s great irritation. A hundred and fifty steps up, there was a door that blared nonsense; twenty-two steps after that, one that was bright pink and trumpeted at being approached; and another fifty steps later, a door that was keen to debate the pros and cons of monarchy.

Malkolm's patience was wearing thin. He swallowed an expletive that was threatening to escape his mouth—barely swallowed it down, so it burnt against the roof of his tongue. This is all Kelm's doing, Malkolm thought viciously. He gathered his cloak around his shoulders once more and arranged it so it didn't cling around his neck much. He felt hot, sweat dripping in a most uncomfortable manner between his shoulder blades. The tips of his hair that hung above his eyes turned pink.

Malkolm couldn't take it. 'Akiel Yarts!' he exclaimed suddenly, causing a multitude of shiny tiles on the ceiling to fall loose and shatter along the wooden stairs. Smoke drifted in from nowhere at all and from everywhere at once, two rather different places, if you were interested in the physics of such things ... but that is beside the point. As the smoke gathered around him, Malkolm's own stupidity became quite apparent. He could not see.

Upstairs, in his room made of books, Kelm rollicked on the floor with laughter.

‘Ixister—Kelm!’ Malkolm thundered, casting the Voise-Incrieze spell almost subconsciously. ‘I need to speak to you!’ He tried inching up the staircase, not daring to reach out and feel his way up along the walls. What if he tripped? There was no reversing the effects of an expletive, because an expletive once uttered proved disastrous for days—longer, even, depending on the level of its obscenity.

'You can lock the soul, but not what it doth dole ... out,’ Kelm replied, his voice thundering just as loudly down the staircase. ‘That rhymed a lot better in my head,’ he admitted.

Malkolm huffed. ‘Elborn Radagel is here to see you!’ he said. ‘He says he carries a letter from the king. If you’d let me get upstairs somehow, I could take you to him. And, you can tell him to take his sorry self away as well, because he’s dismissed.’ He muttered that last part under his breath, but even then his echo bounced along the smoke-obscured walls.

There was silence. Then— ‘I heard that.’

Malkolm smacked his forehead with his wrist. ‘Ixister Kelm, I would normally proceed despite the—the unforeseen obstacles in my way, but, unfortunately, I cannot.’ He paused. ‘I swore.’

He winced as Kelm’s laughter boomed down the stairwell. The sudden urge to pad his ears with the lapel of his cloak overcame him, but he settled for thrusting his fingers in his ears instead. He waited until the sound of Kelm’s rumbling laughter decreased to a badly veiled guffaw. Then he spoke, ‘Can’t you get the staircase to carry me upstairs? Or—better yet, Transport me.’

‘Do it yourself.’

‘I can’t. I can’t Transport until I know my way around the house well enough, or until it’s legally mine. You know this.’

‘Do I? You’re the Ixister.’ And, to Malkolm’s consternation, Kelm began to hum.

‘Please,’ Malkolm forced the word through gritted teeth. ‘Please Transport me upstairs. I can’t get rid of the smoke, it’s a stupid punish—’ He exhaled loudly. ‘Please.’

It worked. Kelm stopped humming almost immediately. The smoke around Malkolm began to dissipate. He was swept off his feet, toes grazing the nosing of each step; it was a silent reminder, Malkolm knew, that he ought to behave in front of Kelm. Legally, it was still his house, and although Malkolm had been quick to make certain … changes … he still did not hold authority over everything.

Despite this, a small, smug voice in his head crowed over how he had locked Kelm up well and truly. (In the physical sense, at least.)

Once he was standing outside Kelm’s door, Malkolm brushed himself free of invisible smoke particles. Then he pulled a pot of ink from his pocket and dipped the edge of his sleeve into it, blowing at it until it resembled the nib of a fountain pen. He set to work, drawing an engarvement that would allow him to enter Kelm’s room, and for Kelm to leave temporarily.

When he swung the door open, a book collided with his forehead. He yelled—partly from pain, but more so because he was surprised.

‘What was that about?’ Malkolm said, eyes hardening. He bent down and plucked the book from where it had landed. Kelm’s main living area was a mess, with papers, books and diagrams all strewn across the carpeted floor. The curtain was singed. The sofa was squawking. Kelm was standing on a tabletop, glaring down at him with dark, accusing eyes. His eyebrows were bushy and wild, meeting in the centre. Malkolm might not have noticed this detail, if it wasn’t for the fact that the eyebrows—or eyebrow—was bright red. He blinked.

‘I did not think you would ignore common courtesy, Malkolm,’ Kelm said, his eyebrow flaring like a campfire, ‘that you would resort to locking me in my sanctuary.’ He said ‘sanctuary’ proudly, gesturing at his less-than-regal surroundings. ‘I’m aware that the Council ordered you to come here, to take my position from me, but the Council did not call for disrespect.’ He folded his arms across his magnificent, silk cloak (red, also, and embroidered with cats). ‘Explain yourself.’

‘I can’t explain myself,’ Malkolm said honestly. ‘And I won’t bother, except that it felt right. You ought to be busying yourself with the packing, anyway.’ Kelm’s eyebrows flared again at the mention of ‘packing’. He gained a few extra inches; his hair brushed the ceiling. All in all, he looked quite formidable, but Malkolm wasn’t about to let him know that.

Instead, Malkolm hoisted a half-smile on his face; the next words he spoke were painfully polite. ‘Come downstairs. Elborn is waiting.’

‘What for?’ asked Kelm, stepping down from the table, a sheaf of engarving pens catching onto the tail of his cloak. ‘How can he—does he know?’ He furrowed his eyebrow at Malkolm.

‘Know what?’ Malkolm stepped across a pile of scarves and strolled towards the ex-Ixister. He tugged one of Kelm's engarving pens free from his cloak and tucked it into his own collar. Kelm harrumphed with disapproval and magicked his pen back.

‘You know very well what--I'm talking about the girl who’s gone missing, of course.’ At Malkolm’s confused expression, he said gleefully, ‘You’re Ixister, with access to the View of the entire Meare—yet you don’t know?' Malkolm shook his head. Kelm snickered. 'Maybe you weren’t officially made the Ixister,' he said happily. A wide grin was now stretching across Kelm’s face, his whiskery beard grazing his ears. ‘We’d better go downstairs and tell Elborn anyhow. Follow me, stand-in!' He left the room, walking down the stairs briskly. Malkolm followed, disgruntled, his hair a bright, burning pink now.

‘Why’s Elborn here if he doesn’t know about the girl?’ Kelm asked, stamping on the staircase as he walked to do away with the smoke.

‘Because,’ Malkolm said, falling into step with him, ‘letter. I’ve already told you.’

‘I was dealing with the sofa,’ Kelm said, shrugging. ‘All I registered was your plaintive mewling.’

‘I don’t mewl,’ Malkolm muttered.

‘And neither does my cloak. But really—what kind of let—’ Kelm’s sentence was left unfinished, because just then a loud crash echoed up the stairwell. It sounded like a grand piano had been tossed against brickwork, or several pianos, or perhaps a small elephant or two. Kelm froze. 'My workshop!' He ran down the rickety steps, jumped onto the next door that came in his path, and skated down the remainder of the stairs; the door was blown right off its hinges. Malkolm did what he did best without magic.

He ran.

As Malkolm rushed into the workshop, he collided with Kelm and went sprawling on the ground. Kelm remained rooted to the spot, eyes wide and glassy. ‘My workshop!’

Malkolm grunted. ‘My workshop!’ He got to his feet. He blinked.

A giant, purple Hollusion was walking around the room, its large hands passing through the domed ceiling. That must have been what made the crash, Malkolm thought, if someone sent it via message-in-an-Orb. Looking closer, he saw a trace of purple leading to the fireplace; like a string, it wound around the Hollusion’s leg. Being a Hollusion, the creature was, of course, intangible—merely a mirror image of whomever had created it. Malkolm peered up at it.

It was a woman. Her hair was done up in an impeccable fashion, but her face was wild and angry, nose scrunched up like a camel's hump. Pale spots of pink danced on her cheeks. She was gesturing erratically and screaming so loudly it was impossible to understand what she was trying to say. In her hand was a heeled boot, with toes so pointy that just looking at them was equal to being stabbed in the eye. She was aiming it at someone, Malkolm realised, as if intending to throw it.

Elborn Radagel was huddled in a corner, hiding in a tablecloth.

‘Garnet, dear, the Hollusion is rather—large!’ he yelped. ‘Calm—calm down?’

Garnet continued shrieking. Malkolm strained his ears and caught the words, ‘Arlene—ELBORN—back—I’M SO WORRIED.’

‘QUIET!’ Kelm yelled. He flipped his hand and whisked Elborn into the middle of the room, the tablecloth flying around him. He looked quite like a fat bird, Malkolm thought, amused. Kelm gripped Elborn firmly by the elbow and propelled him towards the hulking Hollusion. Elborn whimpered.

‘Lovely to see you, Elborn,’ Kelm said, ‘absolutely lovely, and lovely to see you, too, Garnet—GARNET, BE QUIET!’ The Hollusion quietened, dabbing at her eyes with the corner of her glittering scarf. Kelm cleared his throat. ‘Hello, Elborn,’ he said again, beaming at his Meka.

‘Hello,’ Elborn said, smiling weakly. ‘You’re not dead. And you’re red now.’

‘Ah, yes,’ Kelm said cheerfully. ‘Fits with the theme, doesn’t it? But, that aside, three questions. One: why are you here? Two: Why has Garnet sent a message-in-an-Orb and maximised her image—you should know better, Garnet, you almost gave me a heart attack—and three: who has gotten rid of all my things?’ He gave Malkolm a cursory glance as he spoke the last bit. Malkolm simply grinned. ‘Explain,’ Kelm demanded, looking down at Elborn again. ‘In order, please.’ His eyebrow wiggled ferociously.

‘I—er, well, I have a letter.’ Elborn pulled said envelope from his pocket and handed it to Kelm. ‘And, uh, I was waiting for Ixister’—he puffed his cheeks and forced the word out as if in pain—‘Malkolm to bring you here, when Garnet sent a message-in-an-Orb … it landed, see, in the fireplace, and then she … toppled out and began to scream.’ Kelm nodded at Elborn understandingly.

He turned to Garnet. Indigo tears were streaming down her face and she coughed down a sob. ‘And you, Garnet Radagel?’ Kelm said, smiling at her encouragingly. ‘What happened to elicit such an urgent means of communication, hm?’ He patted the Hollusion’s hand, wincing slightly as his hand passed through her. Sparks fizzled from her index finger. ‘There, there, stop crying—for goodness’ sake, ask your wife what’s wrong, Elborn!’

‘Garnet, darling, what’s wrong?’ Elborn asked her, managing to look both afraid and concerned at the same time.

The Hollusion drew in a deep, shuddering breath. ‘Arlene—Arlene is missing. We’ve searched the town. I thought she was staying at Rachel’s house, Elborn, like she’d said, two days ago and told me not to worry because she’d be back today—you know, Elborn, you kissed her goodbye and told her to brush her teeth and—but I—I went there today and they said she never arrived and—TWO DAYS, Elborn, she’s been missing and I only just found out and—’ The rest of her words were drowned out into a stream of incoherent muttering. She began to cry.

Elborn went pale. ‘Two days—are you sure you looked properly? Garnet—ARE YOU SURE, DID YOU LOOK PROPERLY?’ When his wife didn’t answer, Elborn moved closer and waved his arms in an effort to get her attention.

Instead, he tripped over his own feet and fell right through her. The Hollusion fizzled and died.

There was silence. Elborn did not move, his forehead laid against the cool stone. Malkolm stood awkwardly and stared at him, wondering if he should be worried, or amused, or both. Kelm's eyebrow turned grey, his face drawn and anxious.

‘Come,’ he said softly, when nobody spoke.

He swished out of the workshop and strode towards the door, flying down the hallway and outside—towards the Meare. 

This is a very long first chapter! Which you're clearly already aware of since you've split it into two parts, but it potentially could be too separate chapters to ease the reader into the book. Then again, if you're going to have a long chapter, the first is a good place to have it since most people don't start a book without having plenty of time to get immersed. Later they may pick it up and only read one chapter, but I think most avid readers will try to make time for at least two chapters when first starting.

Then again, you have the point of view switch here so if you are going to break it up, this would be the point to do it.

1.

He was ready to begin his new job, he thought, shaking his thin hands free of the clingy material of his robe. He was ready to have Kelm meet his Meka and formally dismiss him.
I'm sure you'll explain in a moment, but this is confusing when first read. I'd have thought that if Malkolm is taking over then he should have the power to dismiss his Meka? But perhaps not!

2.

This is messy - a point of view change within a point of view change. I know this is kind of a loose point of view as it's more the omnipresent narrator, but it feels like we're too much in Malkolm's head to give Kelm a smooth entrance. I also prefer that until this point we've not heard anything from Kelm directly and I think keeping it that way until we see him in the flesh will build more tension. You could certainly have Malkolm wonder if it is Kelm screwing with him or have it come up in dialogue later, but I don't think it's worth breaking the flow.

3. Also why are the doors only now bopping Malkolm on the nose? I'd have thought Kelm would have the most fun earlier while Elborn was following and could have witnessed the humiliation. Instead, Malkolm seemed to have a really easy passage and Elborn had a tricky one.

I wonder if it isn't a little early to switch perspective already and I'm not sure if the fun with the doors was worth it for the sake of going to the view point of a character I don't currently like. There was some fun dialogue between Kelm and Malkolm and Kelm took the place of the character the reader can sympathise with so that kind of worked and it does follow the rule of tell the most interesting part of your story and it made for a good re-entry to Elborn. So okay I've talked myself around it but anything you can do like making this a new chapter to make that point of view switch smoother would be good.

The narrator is starting to grate on me in places. The asides often feel a little forced or break me out of the story a bit. It's something I can live with but certainly something I'm glad you're minimalised later on. I think if you're going to have a narrator that it only works if they serve some special purpose - if either they turn out to be a character themselves, such as in 'A series of unfortunate events' or if they are consistently feeding you information you would not have otherwise had or providing a biased view point which is at odds with what the reader can infer.

Anyway, this was a fun chapter for the most part and your way of world building/ introducing the magic elements is very smooth and hardly ever leaves me confused so good work there!

~Heather

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:23 am
Apricity says...

*frowns at self* wow, I have a lot to catch up on.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 am
GoldFlame wrote a review...

Back again!

Being thrown into Malkolm's perspective was a bit startling, considering I'd just barely gotten to understand Elborn; the exposition lasted for less than three thousand words. The voices between the parts also smear together, with Malkolm sounding similar to Elborn--which isn't as significant a crime when the novel's narrated in third person, I guess, but the overlap's too broad for my comfort. They're quirky and possess the same current of thought, with the only clear differences being what the narrator's told us. Malkolm kicking the door and shaking his hands lines up with Elborn's character last piece, and his smugness/snarkiness feels like an afterthought.

1.1 and 1.2 could benefit from a plumping up, I think. Right now I'm just struggling to grasp a handhold--whitewater rapids, where the reader's tossed all over the place at the same time the water's beautiful and frothy. It's difficult to make sense of what's happening, and not exactly in there's-too-much-information-being-lobbed terms. The backstory feels raw, with just the loosest of transitions securing it in the story, and the references to magic were nonchalant; I'm not sure what to label the pace.

Maybe pay attention to specific phrases, as well--"shaking his hands" and "thought firmly." 1.3 really personifies Malkolm, making him an echo of Elborn's character, and a slightly different tone might reinforce his snarkiness.

But I did enjoy this piece. I love the way you introduce the backstory of Ixisters in bite-sized pieces. I'm also receiving a great idea of the setting--rickety steps and singed curtains. It's mostly just the backstory incorporation and the character development that I have issues with; your description's impeccable, as always.

I'll just brush over the nitpicks quickly:

Malkolm Yttrian was of the opinion that all the doors in Kelm's house had been specifically erected to annoy him.

Sometimes I feel as though the narrator's trying too hard for an attention-grabbing hook; it's like each chapter is the start of a new novel. And once the gears actually start to turn, it's an entirely different tone from what's presented in the beginning. It could be isolated as a single-sentence paragraph and the same melodramatic effect would be achieved.

It might not have been so bad if it wasn't for those dratted doors!

The exclamatory sentence jumped out of nowhere. The tone before the sentence was casual and light, and then this brutal blow that looks like it was a piece of dialogue that forgot to sandwich itself between quotation marks. (This also connects with the all-caps--instead of communicating the characters' emotions, the all-caps felt odd. And the rhetorical question here: What if he tripped?)

"It could be argued" and "the doors had been erected" led me into the illusion of peaceful quiet, especially with the passive voice--then the word "glided" in the following sentence.

incredibly cranky, annoyed, irritated, and everything in between

Nitpickiness, but the words are all synonyms of each other and it feels a bit like a filler clause. (This guy reminds me of me when my house is snowed in and there's nothing to eat but canned soup.)

I love that door part. This was where, for some reason, the humor really started to appeal to me. I kind of thought of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and all those odd doors and rooms as they were walking down a corridor: the chocolate cows that made chocolate milk, the butterscotch bar. Or Hitchhiker's, with those weirdly chatty doors. It was wonderfulness.

The references to magic are definitely nonchalant, though, and I made this mistake when I used to write fantasty-ish stuff--characters performed their magic, maybe briefly explained it, and that was that.

Instead of dicing the magic into cubes, roll it into one big chunk and let the reader choke on it; then they'll swallow and begin to receive the flavor. It's a similar concept to backstory--magic is a huge signpost that this isn't realistic fiction. The chapter also makes the mechanics a bit unclear. Malkolm utters an incantation in the beginning but neglects to say anything for the voice spell, apparently casting it almost subconsciously (which might work better as unconsciously, maybe?). I'd recommend just inserting a few more details, even if things do clear up later on.

He felt hot, sweat dripping in a most uncomfortable manner between his shoulder blades. The tips of his hair that hung above his eyes turned pink.

Sweat is usually uncomfortable in general, so "most uncomfortable manner" feels awkward and excessive. It's also an odd place to pick for dripping sweat. I visualize forehead, neck, back, etc.

Agh, the blond-to-pink thing happened in other places, too! I find this so cool. So it changes whenever he's experiencing frustration or a potent emotion?

Malkolm smacked his forehead with his wrist.

This is one of those lapses in character I was referring to--it doesn't correspond with my image of Malkolm and seems better suited to Elborn.

Kelm doesn't register as cranky and irritated, either. Insane, yes--typical old man, sure--but I'm not receiving crankiness. It just seems like he enjoys pulling people's legs. (I love this guy.)

(Can I just emphasize how much I love this part? The fact that you can't teleport within a house unless it's considered yours, Malkolm's exasperation with Kelm, everything. *rereads*)

The sudden urge to pad his ears with the lapel of his cloak overcame him, but he settled for thrusting his fingers in his ears instead.

This sentence was self-contradictory. It's also unexplained why he didn't just throw his cloak over his ears (or maybe I'm missing something, in which case ignore me).

Malkolm might not have noticed this detail, if it wasn’t for

Unnecessary comma before "it"

‘I can’t explain myself,’ Malkolm said honestly.

Watch out for excessive adverbs. Kelm's character is also wavering a bit--he keeps alternating between sane and insane. I was a bit thrown off when he interrogated Malkolm.

So this piece is definitely a shift from 1.1 and 1.2, which were in turn shifts from each other; the tone's reminiscent of The Phantom Tollbooth. The plot is a bit more digestible here, but there's some distinct inconsistency, and I'd recommend a quick review of elements like backstory and characterization and atmosphere.

But overall, I love it. The novel really starts to assume shape around here, becoming wacky and amazing.

Keep it up!
~Flame

Pompadour says...

You are the bestest, Flamey<333 Thank you for this!

Yeah, the disconnect reads oddly to me, too. XD This is why I'm trying to get a chapter per week in now instead of chapter parts--I bounce around a lot.

Background! Yes! (I'll have to work on that in the edits.) XD I wasn't even sure where this was going when I started writing and that's so ... weird to think about o.e

*noms on delicious reviews*

GoldFlame says...

<333

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:17 am
steampowered wrote a review...

Hello, steampowered here for another fantabulous review! (Or not; I basically sit here bleating about how much I liked it while you’re probably wanting me to tear it apart) Anyway, I’d better get started.

Hmm, Malkolm’s not so bad when you get inside his head. I think it’s hilarious how Kelm spends all his time trying to make Malkolm’s life unpleasant. I can almost (almost) see why Malkolm is like he is… On the other hand, the change between Elborn and Malkolm felt quite abrupt and it threw me off guard a little. Suddenly, Malkolm seems to have taken on some of Elborn’s aspects, which felt a bit jarring. I think one of the other reviewers picked up on this.

Malkolm thought nothing of it; he had seen odder things, after all, and he simply pushed past them without a second glance. Then, as he was about to plant a foot firmly onto one of the rickety, wooden steps, another door popped up. He only registered that it was a door after slamming into it. He drew back, eyes streaming, and rubbed his nose. Said door received a watery glare, but remained unperturbed.

HA! Take that, Malkolm! Sorry, not a nitpick or a criticism, just pure poetic justice. I nearly punched the air at this point. :D

stamping on the staircase as he walked to do away with the smoke.

Nitpicky stuff. “Walked to do away with” doesn’t quite make sense. Consider re-phrasing?

I might have missed something here, but I’m puzzled as to why she wants to attack people. It seems a little strange considering Arlene has just gone missing… Upset, definitely. But not aiming holograms of boots at people, surely? Again, I might have missed some subtlety here, but this bit just confused me.

Don’t know if there’s anything else I can add without reiterating what past reviewers have already said, so… *shrugs and waddles off to review Chapter 2*

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:10 am
Squall wrote a review...

Hey there Pomp.

So overall, this was a pretty decent read for me. I don't really have much to say about it, but there are a few things that prevented me from actually liking this (and I really want to like it mind you).

So yea, I've already talked to you about the flaw in chapter 1.1. If the letter really is that urgent, then why would Elborn say he'll return in half a year with reinforcements? Also, I didn't really get much of an idea of how isolated this place is from civilization. I deduced that this was actually quite far if Elborn would take him that long to bring reinforcements.

Alright enough of that, time to get to the main issue I had with all three sections together (I think actually 1.3 was what broke the camel's back for me). So yea, I feel like there's too much silly banter going on in the story, and not enough actual content and plot.

After reading 1.2, I have a pretty good idea of who Elborn and Malkolm are. Elborn, a no nonsense character, respects authority and stuck to his way, while Malkolm was flippant, doesn't care much about authority or tradition, is snarky and rude. But when it got to 1.3, Malkolm seemed like different character to me.

All of a sudden, it is him getting irate and losing his temper when he was heading to Kelm's quarters. All of a sudden, it was him getting screwed over. I actually had to double check to see if I had confused Elborn and Malkolm's names. As I read on 1.3, I realized that there's more banter in the book than there needs to be, and people screwing each other for no good reason other than to troll.

Meanwhile, plot details like what the letter was about and what this means in terms of story and politically is not focused on as much. By the way, it's not entirely clear to me, but was the letter about some girl who went missing? And Arlene, another person who went missing is independent of the girl in the letter? How are those two cases different? Why is this such a big deal?

It did leave some intrigue though, if only because I want to know what's so important that the king would send Elborn to a far away place just to deliver this news, and I am interested to read more about what's going on, I just wished the chapter on the whole wasn't saturated in this banter and people screwing each other for lols.

Oh yea, that scene with the Hollusion and Garnet was confusing as all heck. I have no idea what was going on in that scene. Seemed like a form of summon messenger? If so, why would you have a messenger that would be so destructive?

So yea, cut down on the banter, as too much focus on it muddles and clouds the characterization and the gravity of the situation.

Off to chapter 2.

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:29 pm
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...

And... I'm here, for 1.3! (I think I might be getting into reviewing again. Who knows?)

As I said in my review for your previous chapter, I think you could do more with the 3rd person omniscient narrator. For one thing, it reads as though you're simply switching perspectives in a 3rd person limited narrative style. A simple way to fix this would be to cut back to Elborn from time to time (i.e. Back in the workshop, Elborn Radagel was _____).

Onto the nitpicks!

It's really quite confusing who's saying that. I got that it's Kelm a bit later, but maybe replace 'he' with 'Kelm' to make it a bit clearer.

'Akiel Yarts!' he exclaimed suddenly, causing a multitude of shiny tiles on the ceiling to fall loose and shatter along the wooden stairs.

Alright. I'm assuming that Akiel Yarts is the expletive. If I'm wrong, then I am so very confused what's happening. If I'm right, the lines after that one make little to no sense (although, I haven't slept in a week, so...). The problem is, if it is an expletive, it seems like Malkolm a) has no self-control, or b) he can't keep from saying the expletive because it's burning his mouth or suchlike. If your answer is b), then it makes no sense for Malkolm to be stupid, since it wasn't in his control. If your answer is a), well... that's not stupidity, that's recklessness coupled with a lack of self control. What would be stupidity is if he expected that to solve a problem for him, and if that's why he says it- well, let a girl know, would ya? :P

So, did Kelm just miss the explosion/breaking of tiles, or the expletive that came out of Malkolm's mouth? You mention that something Malkolm says as an aside is heard by Kelm, so it makes sense that Kelm would have heard the expletive. If Kelm does (and he should), give us his reaction, at least, so we know he's only playing dumb to make Malkolm admit it.

Despite this, a small, smug voice in his head crowed over how he had locked Kelm up well and truly.

The last part of the sentence- locked to the end- reads a bit oddly. The meaning is quite clear, don't get me wrong, but the flow of your writing was interrupted when I read that.4

Her hair was done up in an impeccable fashion, but her face was wild and angry, nose scrunched up like a camel's hump.

I must say, that metaphor only makes sense with a rather large stretch of the mind.

Two days—are you sure you looked properly? Garnet—ARE YOU SURE, DID YOU LOOK PROPERLY?

That only makes sense if Garnet mentioned that she looked all over town. If she didn't... well, what was Arlene doing, playing hide n seek at her friend's house? :D

When his wife didn’t answer, Elborn moved closer and waved his arms in an effort to get her attention.

Perhaps tried to wave his arms would make the next line, in which you say he did not succeed and tripped over his own feet, make more sense.

Elborn did not move, his forehead laid against the cool stone.

I realise that technically, foreheads can, indeed, lay, but try 'pressed' in the place of 'laid'. Somehow, it works better.

End of the nitpicksies!

As far as your characters go, I like them. Kelm seems like a less rash, more open-minded version of Elborn at the moment, and Malkolm- well, the pink hair was certainly a nice touch. He (Malkolm, that is) is rather hilarious at times, and the reader can sympathise with him and dislike him at the same (or alternating) times. Garnet seems to be the perfect counterpart to Elborn. However, since I've really only seen her hysterical, I can't really judge her character quite yet. What would be nice, though, is if she balanced out Elborn's shortcomings a little bit. Your description of her as Malkolm's assessment was done quite smoothly, and it fit into the story well.

Right now, Arlene and Malkolm are the characters I sympathise with most. From Elborn's description of Arlene in 1.2, I liked her already, and having her in this predicament is really quite interesting. Indeed, if they don't discover her immediately, I think you should consider some dramatic irony and having the narrator cut to Arlene in Chapter Two. Just a thought, of course. The plot in this chapter progressed nicely, with an exciting cliffhanger at the end. Overall, when put together, I think 1.1-1.3 will make for a very nice first chapter.

Your description, as always, was lovely, especially the squawking sofa (that put me in hysterics the first time I read it because I kept picturing it). I also enjoyed reading the progression of Malkolm's hair from blonde to bright pink. (An aside- is that a power Ixisters have, changing their hair color? Kelm, apparently, changed his eyebrow color, too, so that just made me wonder...)

Keep writing
(AND I'M FINALLY ALL CAUGHT UP)
~Aura

Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr