z

Young Writers Society



Letters

by Pompadour


Dear Fred,

Every time I look in the mirror,
the floorboards quake
beneath my feet.
Maybe it's the storm inside me;
the shriveled seed of misery
that grows with every passing day.
I miss you, Fred.

I miss you.

I touch the surface of my stony reflection.
It's like inhaling the tundra.
Every time I look into my cobweb eyes,
I see you hiding behind
my glass-shattered irises.
It's like the world is mocking me
and the pain is tearing me to bits.
I see you within me, and it hurts so bad,
like I've been Splinched, and half the fragments
are strewn in the Sahara.
You could Crucio me, and it would hurt less
than this pain I feel every day.

Why does it hurt, Fred?
Just tell me why it hurts.

Love,
George.

~

I can't laugh anymore, Fred.
I don't know why.
I tried laughing today, but it didn't work.
I ended up crying instead.
I feel like a waterfall: an empty, opaque slate.
I learned today that the glass is never half-full.
And it is not filled with lemonade,
but with a bitter poison.

It's your funeral today, Fred,
and I feel dead inside.

I touch the gaping hole by the side of my head,
and every time I always think of you.
You said my ear had died, don't you remember?
And I joked that it had gone to heaven.
Are you in heaven, Fred?
Can you call to me from there?

I'm an avalanche, I tell you.
I've been writing letters to you,
And it hurts to know that you'll never read them.
You'd have laughed at the thought
of writing letters to your own twin.
"'Til death we shalt not part," you said,
in your melodramatic fits.
Why were we so stupid, Fred?
Death couldn't have come faster.

It doesn't just feel like your funeral, Fred.
It feels like mine too.


~

I had a son yesterday, Gred.
I named him after you.
Remember how we talked about getting married?
It seems strange now, doesn't it?
But I see the pink blob with fiery hair
and I'm reminded of you.
The wheel is turning, Fred, and I want you to know
that you died for the right thing.
You died happy, I guess, and that's what matters.
I hope my son'll be like you, you prat.
I hope he'll be like you.

Always yours,
Forge.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 350
Reviews: 1

Donate

User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 pm
View Likes
Poetrygirl22 says...



This really well written, it uses very emotive language. I'd never really thought about that aspect of the book before. Please don't stop writing.




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:49 pm
View Likes



This is amazing. I had to stop reading, though, or I would have cried.




User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 22652
Reviews: 179

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:02 am
View Likes
Magenta wrote a review...



Hello Pompadour! I loved this poem that you wrote, not so long ago. Just wanted to stop by and say hello and like your poem and see what it is about. I was a bit bored today, so I came on YWS and found this nice piece to read. ;)

Wait, this was fan fiction? Oops... For what again? I'm never really good with telling fiction and fan fiction apart so I always have to ask, which is rather embarrassing. But you and I are friends, so we're cool! Who exactly is Fred and what is this? Wait, is this from Harry Potter? Then why does it say, "Always yours, Forge"? Anyway, I hope to see some more of your work! Pompadour is awesome!

~ Magenta




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 528
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:15 am
View Likes
TheResilentDreamer wrote a review...



This is a great work of fan fiction. Usually someone would write about romance or how it should of ended, but you chose to write about something that had deep meaning. It brought back memories of when I read the Harry Potter books, and when Fred died I could not believe it. Fred was my favorite Weasly twin, so his death had a great impact on me. What I truly loved about your piece was that you tied in deep, poetic literature in your fan fiction, which truly made it a work of art. Keep writing.
-TheResilentDreamer




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 4007
Reviews: 117

Donate
Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm
View Likes
crossroads wrote a review...



Hey there~

This is actually quite good. I normally don't enjoy fanfiction particularly, but I've read all the books and saw all the movies, so I know what you're talking about in here, and I figured to drop a review.

Firstly, I shall admit (taking the risk of getting stalked and killed repeatedly by most of the other reviewers, as much as I see) that I didn't cry at Fred's death scene. More so, I didn't even particularly care. I mean, I loved Fred and George and all that, but his death was rushed, stuffed in there with a bunch of others so it'd prove the meaninglessness of war and whatnot, but it wasn't actually given enough attention to make me feel or think anything more than "aw, Fred. Too bad George is left alone now. Let's move on." But going into that further would be reviewing the Harry Potter books instead of your work, so I'll skip to my point.

With this poem, with these letters, it seems to me like you've managed to give his death the depth and meaning it deserved. That's why I like it, and it actually hit me as far sadder now than when I read it in the book for the first time. I'm really fond of the way you portray that side of George. His sadness is showed in a very believable way, especially seeing as they were twins, so inseparable and looking the same and practically thinking the same all the time..

That said, though, a small critique regarding George's character. I can imagine he'd really miss his brother, and I can imagine he could even lose his ability to turn everything into a joke and just move on, but I think that, when writing to Fred, he'd make attempts to make jokes nonetheless, like some sort of token to his twin. I mean, he joked when he lost his ear - sure, this is far more serious, and would affect him much more, but I would've liked to see more attempts of seeing things the usual amusing way, the way he misses so much.
The poem wouldn't be less sad because of that, nor would it affect people less, because through those attempts of jokes, a shadow of someone he used to share them with and the sense of emptiness which came with losing that someone would be definitely visible and maybe feel even more shockingly real. It'd bring back memories, and make people unable to keep serious even if tears are streaming down their faces.

On a similar note, I liked the part where he mentioned spells, I would've liked to see more magic/spells references as well.. Simply because they grew up in the wizard world, it'd be their normal way of thinking and speaking.

So, those are the things that'd probably make me like this more, but regardless of them I really do like it. It's very cute, especially the Gred and Forge part, and gives Fred's death the attention it really deserves. It didn't make me cry, because I seldom cry on anything I read, but it did make me feel sad about them, and it also made me want to reread those books :3
So thanks for all that!

Aria~




Pompadour says...


Thank you for the amazing review! I actually kept all jokes aside on purpose because I read a lot of web-chats and everything after my "Post-Potter Depression," and I read somewhere about how Fred's death was "life-changing" for George. You might notice that the last part of the poem is comparatively lighter (I think.) since I wanted to show George's acceptance of the fact, and that he was moving on.
Here's a bit out of the web-chat I was talking about:
Well, I don%u2019t think that George would ever get over losing Fred, which makes me feel so sad
-JK Rowling to Camille

This review was very helpful, and I'll probably bring in the changes you suggested when I edit it, er ... some day. :D Thanks once again, I really appreciate it!



Pompadour says...


Thank you for the amazing review! I actually kept all jokes aside on purpose because I read a lot of web-chats and everything after my "Post-Potter Depression," and I read somewhere about how Fred's death was "life-changing" for George. You might notice that the last part of the poem is comparatively lighter (I think.) since I wanted to show George's acceptance of the fact, and that he was moving on.
Here's a bit out of the web-chat I was talking about:
Well, I don%u2019t think that George would ever get over losing Fred, which makes me feel so sad
-JK Rowling to Camille

This review was very helpful, and I'll probably bring in the changes you suggested when I edit it, er ... some day. :D Thanks once again, I really appreciate it!



User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



This is absolutely amazing Pompadour! This is undoubtedly one f the saddest moments in the Harry Potter series, so it is lovely to find some poetry about it.
I was a little confused by the Forge Gred switch over, but on reflection I see how you were illustrating the strong tie between the twins.
My favorite line was undoubtedly "I hope my son'll be like you, you prat.", because the insult characterizes their relationship perfectly.
Finally, the rhythm, as well as being poetic, mirrored that of a letter really well.
Keep up the (favorite adjective here) work!
Take That You Fiend!




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:48 pm
View Likes
Rook says...



This was just.. It.. it..
<3
I'm really sad now. ;-;
Great poem. That was wonderful.




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 372
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:37 pm
View Likes
Ruby68 says...



WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you do this to me!? Oh my gosh so good I can't. So good! I need to go be with my emotions right now, good work.




User avatar
101 Reviews


Points: 654
Reviews: 101

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:22 pm
View Likes
MysteryMe wrote a review...



SO SAD!!!!!!

Ugh, I was heartbroken when I read about Fred dying (more than six years ago), and this just broke my heart all over again. Well done with this. My eyes got all teary.

Harry Potter was one of my absolute favorite book series of all time, so thanks for reminding me of it (even if it was in a super depressing way).

Anyway, these letters were just very poetic and beautiful, and the way George wrote them really shattered my heart. You're a great writer, and I hope you continue. The emotion was raw and real, from beginning to end, and there's nothing at all for me to nitpick.

My favorite part was:

"I can't laugh anymore, Fred.
I don't know why.
I tried laughing today, but it didn't work.
I ended up crying instead.
I feel like a waterfall: an empty, opaque slate.
I learned today that the glass is never half-full.
And it is not filled with lemonade,
but with a bitter poison."

Just so, so beautiful. I'm so depressed now....

Anyway, hope I helped!!! Keep writing!!!!




Pompadour says...


;_; I'm such a terrible person. Here, have a cookie:
Image



Cheetah says...


Or 18 cookies... ;)



Pompadour says...


Yeah... the image turned out a teeny bit bigger than I thought... *shrugs like a sheep*



MysteryMe says...


I may not be able to eat that many cookies.... BUT I'LL NEVER KNOW IF I DON'T TRY!!!!



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:48 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here for a review!

Boo-hoo-hoo. I am going to cry here. Just kidding. :D You did tell me you would write this poem... which seems like a story too... and a letter... and a poem... all mixed into one! Awesome job!!! :D

So I don't actually know much about Fred... don't kill me here. :D I hope that is allowed... I have only watched the first five Harry Potters so far...but the others shall follow soon! :D

Fred seems like a pretty cool guy, or at least you portray him as such. And he and George were always such troublemakers in the ones I watched! :D Although I don't know who Forge is, I imagine it was his girlfriend or something? Seems like a weird name for a girl. ;)

I am going to hit nitpicks now! *arms gatling gun*

Something I see pretty often in this piece are lines that look like they should be one longer line... I will just show a few to you to see what I mean...

the floorboards quake
beneath my feet.

I see you hiding behind
my glass-shattered irises. ----This line would be too long if you added them together, but... you could make it: I see you hiding behind my glassy irises or something similar


and every time I always think of you. ---I think you could cut out the always there


I'm an avalanche, I tell you.
I've been writing letters to you, ---The you is kind of repetitive


It doesn't just feel like your funeral, Fred.
It feels like mine too. --- Don't make me cry, meanie


I think that sums up my nitpicks! This was a wonderful poem, and very emotional! I think you need to give some tissues to the reviewers below me... They seem to be a little teary. :D
~Timmyjake




Pompadour says...


Dude...
"I hate maroon," Ron moaned halfheartedly as he pulled it over his head.

"You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid%u2014we know we're called Gred and Forge."

I think that clears things up. XD
And thanks so much for the review! :D



timmyjake says...


Ohhhhh..... Stupid me. :D



Pompadour says...


Nah. It wasn't stupid. Just really, really funny how you didn't get that. *laughs like a crazy person* >.<
You haven't read the books, have you?



timmyjake says...


I have read the first one... but still didn't get it. *grins sheepishly*



Pompadour says...


Hahaha. It's OK.
GO READ IT AGAIN! :O



timmyjake says...


I will! :D The book was better than the movie in my "humble" opinion, anyway! :D



Pompadour says...


Well, in my "pompous" opinion, the movies were absolutely terrible. I mean, they were OK as movies I guess. They just lacked the ... Harry Potterishness.
The books are amazing. I can talk about them all day. <3



timmyjake says...


Please don't. :D I will read them! :D



User avatar
183 Reviews


Points: 1810
Reviews: 183

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:25 pm
View Likes



Pompadour... how COULD you? *sobs madly* such a powerful piece... *collapses*




User avatar
166 Reviews


Points: 1135
Reviews: 166

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:09 pm
View Likes
Cheetah wrote a review...



Hey Pompadour, Cheetah here to review your poem.

I nearly cried while reading this. Fred's death, for me, was one of the saddest parts in the whole series and I don't think anyone expected it to happen. As I was reading GoldFlame's review I realized that maybe the reason this is so poetic is that there isn't much humor or happiness left in him when he writes these, so he's doing the only thing he can. The flow in this was good, as well as the rhythm.

Why does it hurt, Fred?
Just tell me why it hurts?

This part is very emotional, but I don't think that the last question mark is necessary, especially grammatically speaking.

It's your funeral today, Fred,
and I feel dead inside.

My gosh, you have a way with words.

It doesn't just feel like your funeral, Fred.
It feels like mine too.

This part threw me off a little because all the separate ones before it were italicized. I would do the same to all four. Just a thought.

This was beautiful. Sad, but beautiful. Well done and keep writing.




Pompadour says...


Whoops. The question-mark was a mistake. XD
Thanks for the review! :D



Cheetah says...


Welcome! :)



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 816
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:00 pm
View Likes
Ciblio says...



Okay, I'm going to admit that I cried a little bit.
Alright, maybe a lot.
This is..great.
That's all!
Good job.




User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:32 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Okay, to review this without bursting into tears...

It was very well-written. I've never imagined George to think so poetically, but the figurative language really tied everything together. It didn't dominate the poem and yet contributed so much to the meaning. I love the lines:

Every time I look into my cobweb eyes,
I see you hiding behind
my glass-shattered irises.


and

It doesn't just feel like your funeral, Fred.
It feels like mine too.


How painful would it be to see your dead twin every time you glanced at your reflection?

I feel like I don't deserve to critique this. I guess that I'll treat this like prose, and rely on Fluency Nazi instinct :D.

the shriveling seed of misery
that grows with every passing day.


Self-contradiction. A seed that shrivels as it grows? So, in a sense, it never blooms? Not sure what you're trying to convey.

like I've been splinched, and half the fragments
are strewn in the cyberspace.


"Splinched" should be capitalized :D. I also doubt that George knows what cyberspace is? Chances are, he's never handled a computer.

I feel like a waterfall; an empty, opaque slate.


Since the clause on the right side of the semicolon is dependent, the semicolon should be changed to a colon. I'm also unsure how a waterfall and slate relate.

I learned today that the glass is never half-full.
And it is not filled with lemonade


Why lemonade?

That's all I have. Well, this really tugged at my heartstrings. Can't wait to read more of your work!




Pompadour says...


Thank you so much for the review! :D



GoldFlame says...


No problem! Loved your poem :D.



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:18 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame says...



"I hate maroon," Ron moaned halfheartedly as he pulled it over his head.

"You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid—we know we're called Gred and Forge."


As soon as I read that last letter, I grabbed the Sorcerer's Stone.




User avatar
208 Reviews


Points: 830
Reviews: 208

Donate
Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:13 pm
View Likes
rhiasofia wrote a review...



Why would you write something like that!?! Tears. So many tears. Beautiful. I love the Fred and George letters fanfictions. They get me every single stinking time.

"like I've been splinched and half the fragments"
I would add a comma after splinched in this line.

""'Til death we shalt not part," you said
in your melodramatic fits."
I would also add one after said here. It makes sense without it, but if there's a comma, then the reader pauses, and I think a pause would be great right there.

I can't find anything wrong here, so I hope those little grammar adjustments might help you a little. Thank you for writing this, and for sharing.




Pompadour says...


I cried while writing it. *sobs* I'm amazed my key-board didn't short-circuit or something. Thank you so much! :D



rhiasofia says...


Yeah, there's a reason I've yet to try my hand at fanfictions. Too many feels!




I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin