Elementárni ~ 3.2

by Pompadour

Rufus tried not to panic.

He was regretting having used the Influence on Pascal just so he could get the boy to save the man. It hadn’t really worked out that way—far from it, in fact, and Rufus was growing steadily aware that it was his actions that had cost not one, but two lives.

Toss a coin, Rufus, a voice in his head hissed. Make a choice. Or maybe you could just abandon your duty as a Tárni and do what you want—that always works pretty well, doesn’t it?

His lips pressed into a thin line; he shook his head. He wasn’t giving up. This wasn't what Ivanov expected of him….

His hands shook as he placed his hands on the dead man’s chest and passed another shock through his system. He didn’t know how Pascal’s powers worked. All he knew was that the boy had gone into a trance of some sort; it was like he was meditating. Rufus had never seen a Haemokinate at work before, so he observed closely, not even bothering to feign disinterest—as he would have done, he knew, if Pascal had been more aware of his surroundings.

He hadn’t expected that keeling over and gasping for breath was part of the process, though. Rufus had moved forward the moment Pascal collapsed, as if by impulse, face drawn in consternation. He grabbed an erratic limb—Pascal was flailing as if trying to swim—and ducked as his hands swiped for his head. He grabbed the shorter boy by the shoulders and shook him.

‘Damn it, Pascal, what’re you doing?’ he growled.

‘Aaargh!’ Pascal’s eyes were rolling in his head. He lunged forward again, kicking out at Rufus, but he dodged.

Then, the strangest thing happened, and Rufus swore he had lost his senses, but—Pascal disappeared altogether. It was like one of those storybook moments—the kind you listen to with fervour but never really believe in. He didn’t vanish into a puff of smoke, or glow with some ‘inner light’ before bursting like a balloon. If you asked, in fact, Rufus couldn’t explain it at all. He blinked.

That was when he noticed.

He was clinging onto the shoulders of somebody’s thin air.

~*~

Meanwhile, Pascal was trying to channel his desperation into something constructive. He plunged his free hand and tore through the opening in the vessel, but he could feel his mind getting foggy as he struggled to breathe.

Push, he thought desperately, trying to find a surface to grab on ... something—anything—that would pull him back into the real world. Push. Push. Push. He scrabbled at the walls blindly. Black spots danced before his eyes—mocking him, he felt, telling him that this was how he was meant to die.

Cut the connection, he told himself. Cut it now.

But he couldn’t. He had known that from the start. Pain-links were both powerful and fragile, and it took years to perfect the science of flitting through consciousness. ‘Never start a Link unless you’re positive you can end it.’ Wasn’t that what the Terran had taught him as a kid, over and over, the same warning? And hadn’t it been he who had been so reluctant to establish the Link in the first place? Not for the first time, Pascal wondered blearily what had possessed him to take the chance. But it didn’t matter now, he thought, slumping against the wall.

He was going to die.

It was funny in a way, he thought. He imagined, for a moment, how one would explain his death. ‘Oh, he was being stupid and established a pain-link when he shouldn’t have, then he messed up and had a panic attack. In a bloodstream. Poof. Gone. Easy as that.’ He wondered how it would sound if Rufus said that; he expected the git would actually be pleased that it didn’t work out in Pascal’s favour. He gritted his teeth at the thought. Stupid Rufus, he thought. Stupid--

He couldn’t breathe.

Just then, a jolt of electricity passed through the tissue fluid, crackling as it came into contact with Pascal's body. He screamed. He closed his eyes and curled up into a ball, pushing hard against the walls. He could visualise himself now: his red hair plastered to his face, barely visible as the blood rushed in around him. His face was chalky, limbs loose and hanging like a marionette. Vaguely, he thought of the hole he had created in the artery. He wondered how much blood was being lost. He could feel it now, spouting out into the other side.

Pascal’s eyes clamped shut. At the same moment, the world split into two.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Pompadour!

Oh would you look at that. It's almost September and I am reviewing this now >.< Either way, happy review day and I will try my best to leave a decent review after all the wonderful feedback you already have.

This was quite an interesting chapter. We do get two point of views which is wonderful, and I liked seeing inside Rufus's mind the most because we get to see how he is panicking as well and not quite sure what to do. Even if he was the one who pushed Pascal to do this, he does care a whole lot more than he lets on and now he is seeing the mistake he made. As well as that, we're getting to see Pascal inside his pain link and how he has tried all he can but is now feeling like it is worth giving up. I loved the part where he is imagining what he would look like and you some wonderful descriptions. As always, your writing style is simply perfect. We're getting to see their abilities in motion a lot more and have learned the limits to Pascal's.

This was a pretty short chapter but it is basically the first time we are getting this much insight into Rufus's mind and the first time we are getting to see his character a whole lot more from his own point of view. And it was so short! I did want some more of his part so that we could learn more about the reasoning for him doing this that he tried to push away in his mind. I wanted him to think of what he was going to do if he ended up alone. I wanted to be able to really feel his frantic thoughts darting from one scenario to the next. Yes, you did a good job of showing us his guilt and regret, but not enough of showing us his own raw panic. We do get that from Pascal's point of view (and rightly so because he is dying,) but I could have used some more of it here.

He was regretting having used the Influence on Pascal just so he could get the boy to save the man.

Is this passive voice I see? And generally, when reading this sentence it is quite easy to stumble over! It could really be simplified and made shorter. Something like: He regretted using the Influence on Pascal just to make him to save the man.

I'm also assuming that Pascal doesn't know he has been Influenced at all, because he doesn't mention it?

Apologies for this review being so short, but this chapter was very good and I think previous reviewers have covered all that I would have wanted to say additionally to this. Keep writing ;)

Deanie x

Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:09 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

The Big Review

Howdy, Pomp! Darn, do I love this book so far. While I was reading all the other chapters, I had to keep on reminding myself that I wasn't reading the words of some professional author's published book. I was reading an unfinished novel on the Young Writers Society, consisting of the words of a seventeen-year-old borg kitty named Pompadour. Oh, and did you hear? English isn't even her first language. :o

Your first chapter was especially professional-like, beginning in first person and developing into third, leading the reader through the story with beautiful descriptions and ending with a chilling conclusion. Bravo! Thus far, plenty of diverse characters, a clearly thought-out plot, and a simply enthralling style leaves me spellbound.

Recommendations
Chapter 3, Part 1

The first thing Rufus noticed about the dead man was the dark crater gaping out of his skull, like a laughing mouth that opened into the wrong side of his head.

Adding that one little word will help. I'm a little ashamed to admit that at first I was thinking that this "man" was some new (and alive) magical creature whose identifying feature is a laughing hole in his head. Hehe. It's actually Thomas Heaney. Technically, Heaney isn't dead, which is probably why you left that word out. But in Rufus' mind, this man is undoubtedly deceased, and it's from his point of view, so I would add the word.
He wasn't even looking at him, Rufus realised, his eyes still roving across the man's injury like sunlight over the equator.

The "he's" get confusing, so I would split this into two sentences, like this: "He wasn't even looking at him, Rufus realised. Pascal's eyes still..."
Rufus watched, his feathers more than slightly ruffled.

Reading a fantasy novel keeps me on the "omg, that's a new and unique magical creature" mode. Just like when I thought the dead man was alive and had a laughing hole in his head, for a split second I thought that Rufus had feathers. Just something to be aware of: "his feathers ruffled" is the original phrase, and changing it ever so slightly might cause some of your more gullible readers to take it literally.
Rufus heard the las part, muttered underneath his breath.

Nitpick!

Chapter 3, Part 2
He grabbed an erratic limb—Pascal was flailing as if trying to swim—and ducked as his hands swiped for his head.

It has become a part of your style, for sure, but I think that you love em-dashes too much. Don't get too attached! </3 I can see that you tend to use them when you're trying to explain all these little details in a single sentence. Usually, using an em-dash or two is totally fine. Encouraged, even, as a necessity to get all your thoughts down in a single sentence. I just didn't like the particular way you used them here. For one thing, certain things aren't clear. I'm guessing that the "erratic limb" must be a leg, since both of Pascal's hands seem to be free. "And ducked as his hands swiped for his head" is particularly confusing. The him's could go either way. I'd rearrange this sentence into something like this: "He grabbed an erratic limb and ducked as Pascal's hands swiped for his head. The poor boy was flailing as if trying to swim."
He grabbed the shorter boy by the shoulders and shook him.

Mainly because Pascal is on the ground and height is far from important at the moment, the adjective "shorter" is out of place.

Wait, what? Rufus was... holding the shoulders of thin air?

Rufus and Pascal
First of all, excellent name choices. Pascal reminds me of a passive Italian painter, whereas Rufus conjures the image of a snarling pit bull with a spiked collar. Both of these personalities fit your characters excellently. On the other hand, Rufus' anger seems to be a bit overdone. Maybe it has to do with his Pulsar-ness, and in that case, you could make Pascal mutter, "Typical Pulsar" after one of Rufus' outbreaks if that is so.

You keep on calling them "boys," which is curious to me. They seem to be in a very important partnership for being so young. Maybe their rare and unique powers are so valued that they are employed at a young age for doing important things like analyzing a dead body.

I can see Rufus is another one of those gold-eyed folks. Each chapter, we've been introduced to a new one. Heaney seemed startled to see Mason's eyes turn gold in the first chapter, which tells me that the knowledge of this kind of magic isn't in abundance in the majority of the mundane population. The second time we see a gold-eyed character is with Hawk, who also doesn't seem to be aware of the magic he is dealing with. And now we have Rufus and Pascal, boys with magical abilities that are analyzing the unfortunate fate of a commonplace man.

I'm also curious to know if the ambulance and police came when Heaney was shot. Rufus and Pascal seem to have the whole site to themselves in this chapter, whereas Mason's body was swarmed with people when he was killed.

Pascal's adventure inside of Mr. Heaney
This branch of fascinating magic was not displayed in the most understandable manner at first, though I must commend you for its originality. Pascal, the boy who can fly? No. The boy who can turn invisible? Nope. The boy who can run as fast as lightning? No, not that either. Give up? Yeah. He is none other than Pascal: the boy who can mentally become as microscopic as a cell and explore the blood vessels of another man. Woah.

I get that much about Pascal now, but at the end of the first part of this chapter it isn't as clear as it could be when he first begins his "exploration." It's a bit much for readers to swallow. But it's awfully brilliant, in my opinion. Nice job. Also, you clearly had to do your research about brains and skulls and cells whenever Pascal was in the process of analyzing the gross stuff.

Conclusion
Pomp, you are amazing. As is your writing and your characters and your descriptions. Just plain amazingness. Hopefully this review was helpful to you!

Write, write, write!

Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 am
megsug wrote a review...

Heyo~
This is for the Big Review. Trying to find something to review for you is very challenging! I haven't read any of your previous chapters, but I'll try to help you out with this one. I've skimmed the other two reviews, but I may repeat something. I'm sorry if that happens >.>

It's so hard to find something to review because you're so dang good at your art, and your reviewers are very talented. The second to last paragraph is great. Very powerful. I've jumped into the middle of this and barely know the kid, and I'm afraid for him.

The one big thing I'm missing here is description. There's tons of magnificently done inner dialogue, but I don't know what things look like. The big point of description you have is in feeling. Perhaps your description is elsewhere, but I think this chapter could benefit from a little though obviously it would have to be well done and well placed to keep the fast tempo up that suits the suspenseful tone of this chapter.

The one big place I'd like to know more about, mainly visually, but also in dealing with the other senses is where you talk about what Pascal is doing while linked. Even if you've done this in a previous part, I think you should still add a few bits and pieces here and there about what he's seeing and experiencing, not just what he's doing.

Rufus had moved forward the moment Pascal collapsed, as if by impulse, face drawn in consternation.

Small nitpick. This sentence structure is confusing. The tacked on clauses seem to be describing Pascal when they're not.

Wolf and Gold covered most of the other stuff I could see.

Lemme know if you have any questions,
Megs~

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hey, Pomp! I'm so sorry, but I'm lazy and I'm not reading Gold's fabulous review xD Think that if I repeat something, it really needs to be fixed.

As always, I really can't help you stylistically. It's too perfect. And even though I've noticed the style has very much changed, all those thick descriptions finally out of the way (or we've hit a spot where we don't need them >.> ) it still feels nice and seems to fit. With what I remember of the novel anyway.

Speaking of not remember, I'm sort of at a loss about what had happened before and why things are like they are. I do remember Pascal going into that man (totally forgot his name) to try and save him, with some encouragement from Rufus. Now you tell us that Rufus was using some of his magical powers to influence Pascal into making this choice? I don't recall ever thinking that something was wrong about it from before, so I guess you did a great job painting over that while in Pascal's perspective for that time

Now onto perspectives. In the first three chapters, we've already gone through five perspectives. So I can very well tell that this is written in third person omniscient, but whoa. Slow down there a bit will you? I haven't read very much literature written in this perspective, but the ones I have seem to have a patter to which they always come back to a certain character that the novel focuses on. Perhaps it's too early to tell, but there hasn't really been a 'returning character' if you will yet. Maybe it feels much longer because of the huge gaps between uploads, but it's a little confusing. There are so many mysteries that never get answered because we move on to another character.

With mysteries in mind, I feel like there is too much unanswered. Aside to the flawless writing and style (UGH perf <3), it sort of frustrates me? It seems that I'm longing to know answers to other things that happened, with the fantasy, but it seems like so much is just being shoved into my face that I can't make sense of it all, and I don't know what any of it is. Something about the Warnings in the first chapter, and then Pascal being this complicated name, and then the Influence? How does Rufus do this? I'm so confused.

So, my advice is to perhaps be a little more linear? The jumping around is fun and all, but perhaps save this for when we're more solidly rooted into the book, because if I were reading this as a published book, I'd be too confused to go on. I'd just put the book down.

Hope I helped a little, compared to everything Gold did xD Happy review day and Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare

Pompadour says...

<3 You are awesome and this helped a ton. I'll try to write a bit faster. XD

WRITE EVEN FASTER.

Pompadour says...

I HAVEN'T WORKED ON THIS IN A YEAR

maybe it'll make a comeback.... some day.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:18 pm
GoldFlame wrote a review...

Heya! I'm going to start with the negatives this time, and just kind of pour my thoughts out as they come.

The fantasy aspect hit me a bit abruptly, considering the first two chapters were description-packed and slow-paced, for the most part; the tone was indicial of realistic fiction. But then we take a turn to increase the single-sentence paragraphs, and the story shifts from character-driven to plot-driven.

Background story: It'd serve better if it wasn't included at regular intervals. Like some variety of introduction, I think. All this stuff you're giving us is obviously important, and the reader struggles to focus on it in addition to the character-drama goriness; an introduction would spare us from that. It'd be the mother bird chewing the food for the baby birds.

You might've gotten too invested in maintaining the reader's interest, trying to subtly incorporate background info.

Visualize a loaf of pull-apart bread. You know the kind where it's sliced not-all-the-way-through and fanned out, as opposed to the disks of dough that fuse when you bake them. And you stuff cheese/vegetables/sauce between the slices. Say the background info is American cheese and the story is a French baguette from a distinguished bakery. You're trying to hide the cheese, and in this case the background-cheese actually tastes delicious, but the baguette is the real character in the show; you want to pack most of the cheese at one end so the rest of the baguette isn't affected.

The thing is, we're at the part in the baguette where it's the exposition, which is solely dedicated to background story. In the middle of the novel you'd definitely make it subtle, but in the exposition we're all new to this stuff, and the reader kind of requires the cheese.

Also, speaking of the exposition ... we just met these characters, but man, things got heavy fast. (I'm going to make a connection to The Fault in Our Stars even though your writing's way better. >.>) It's like in The Fault in Our Stars, where Augustus died before he was fully developed and John Green treated him like a fleshed-out character. Hearing "I've never felt so much pain in my life, I realize now that I loved Augustus, I don't want to attend his funeral to listen to people talk like they knew him" didn't lend to the sadness; it created melodrama.

And I know the intent was to make things realistic, but it was difficult sympathizing with Pascal and Rufus. Bits like "He was going to die. ¶ It was funny in a way, he thought" felt melodramatic, fake; and in the exposition, it's usually good to remain detached to ease the reader into the story.

Consistency: Make sure the tone says dark. You did pretty amazing for the most part, but pieces like "far from it, in fact" and "not even bothering to feign disinterest" detract from the seriousness.

Onto ze smaller details!

Tárni

The way you've been referring to the Tárni is just masterful. It's building this amazing suspense and ugh, I'm going to kill you if you don't post the next chapter soon.

having used the Influence on Pascal just so he could get the boy to save the man
He grabbed the shorter boy by the shoulders

Ahh, the narrator's playing musical names.

It's like the way they referred to one of the characters as "the redhead" in the previous part. The redheadness and the shortness wasn't accentuated, but to avoid repetition, the reader's given all these replacement nouns to try figure out and untangle.

I kind of understand the issue you're facing, though, with three males who share the same pronoun. Maybe fiddle with sentence structure? Or you could repeat names? I have a quote from Orson Scott Card: "What they [writers] don't realize is that repetition is rarely a problem with names—names aren't a stylistic device, they're a signpost to guide us through the story, telling us who's doing what."

Also, regarding the Influence—I don't know if it's a placeholder name, but using common words and capitalizing them is reminiscent of dystopians. Like how in Divergent the factions were named after SAT words. I love "pain-links," though; that's just a perfect way to describe the merging of consciousnesses, and you can apply it to any genre without sounding cheesy.

Toss a coin, Rufus, a voice in his head hissed.

I need to comment that you're one of the best writers at internal dialogue. It's always natural and realistic, and it always contributes to the character development. Tell me your secret, gah.

I'd just recommend a paragraph break here. The single-sentence paragraphs signify that you're going to keep one idea contained within each paragraph, and this piece of internal dialogue presents a new idea. Also, paragraph breaks = intensity.

I'd suggest another paragraph break here.

I feel like this is reiterating what the internal dialogue said. It's also—I hate to say it, but slightly cheesy. When I read "he wasn't giving up," I hear the narrator's voice from Honest Trailers.

The mention of Ivanov is a bit sudden. Up until this point, the spotlight's been on Pascal and Rufus and the dead body, and we haven't received much information on Ivanov; then his name crops up.

His hands shook as he placed his hands

Redundancy alert!

Rufus had never seen a Haemokinate at work before, so he observed closely, not even bothering to feign disinterest—as he would have done, he knew, if Pascal had been more aware of his surroundings.

I think I mentioned this up there, but "not even bothering to feign disinterest" is a huge lapse in tone. It dumps the focus on Rufus and paints it like he's been bored for the previous paragraphs, which judging by "Rufus tried not to panic," he hasn't.

The narrator's taking a lot of shortcuts when it comes to character development; they're going to have to bake the cheese into the baguette instead of slicing it in.

Then—the strangest thing happened, and Rufus swore he had lost his senses, but—

Going back to the tone thing. "The strangest thing happened" suggests casualness, and there's even hyperbolization at "Rufus swore he had lost his senses."

That first M-dash also looks unnecessary; I think things would roll smoother with it cut.

bursting into a thousand pieces

"Bursting" and "pieces" feel antonymous with each other. When I visualize "bursting," I visualize liquid and berries and that kind of stuff. "Pieces" is more suited to shattering.

~*~

(I love this asterisk thing, it's so pretty.)

I'd recommend adjusting the break, smoothing the wrinkles where Rufus's story turns into Pascal's. It feels choppy at the moment.

It was funny in a way, he thought. He imagined, for a moment, how one would explain his death. ‘Oh, he was being stupid and established a pain-link when he shouldn’t have, then he messed up and had a panic attack. In a bloodstream. Poof. Gone. Easy as that.’

I'm receiving the message that pain-links are difficult and cost tremendous energy, but that it's something Haekominates are generally known to be capable of. Here, it's kind of the opposite statement; the narrator's isolating "in a bloodstream" like it's some preposterous never-heard-of twist.

And I love the humor, but it feels slightly misplaced; the atmosphere hops from light to dark to light without notable transition.

He could visualise himself now: his red hair plastered to his face
His face was chalky, limbs loose and hanging like a marionette.

Going back to the tone thing again—we're in the middle of this intense scene, and then Rufus pulls a reflection-in-the-mirror cliché. It's unrealistic that he'd be focusing on something as trivial as his appearance.

One more thing: "marionette" is a cliché. They're great to describe something lifeless, but they're overused and frequently coupled with the words "limbs" and "hanging."

that cliffhanger <33

You've been writing in third person limited POV for the entirety of the chapter. The reader would assume this sentence is third person limited, too, but then how's it possible for him to see the world split in two if his eyes are shut?

Anyway, I absolutely loved this chapter. :D

Your style's progressed so much; the imagery used to be excessive, but now it's vital to keeping things balanced. And it frees up space for me to focus on plot stuff, instead of nitpicking and commenting on things like atmosphere.

I feel like I wasn't sufficient in complimenting this piece. Style-wise, it was my favorite chapter--I just thought I'd take time to analyze the structure. I really hope I wasn't overly harsh.

Looking forward to more!
~Flame

Pompadour says...

Thank youu, thank you for this! You have /no/ idea how incredibly helpful this will be when I edit. And it wasn't harsh at all. XD (The shift from a character-driven to plot-driven story might be because my style has changed so much, errgh. I should not leave gaps between my writing. >.>)

<3

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci