z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

Deepest Desires

by Pomeroy


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

The city was bustling with activity, even as the sky grew dark and cloudy. Fargo could smell the rain in the distance and pulled her jacket tighter around her. She wasn't fond of the city, how your elbows grazed everyone else on the street, vendors screaming at you from every angle, the bright illuminating signs looming from overhead advertising goods she had never heard of, much less think of buying. It was a confusing chaos trying to navigate her way through the crowds.

A particularly rowdy group of people came stumbling out of a bar up ahead, their arms linked as some shouted melodies to the sky, and the others watched with intoxicated laughter. Fargo nearly fell into the street as they stumbled past her. 'Idiots,' she thought as their cackles and songs drifted away, melding with the rest of the noise from the city.

Fargo was so focused on safely swerving through the sea of people, she almost missed her destination. Planted snuggly in between two larger establishments sat The Lady's Eye. A small sign was hung outside the tinted window; "Open your mind and lets your deepest desires be found."

Rain began to fall as Fargo approached the curtain that served as the entry way. The complaints could be heard as people rushed to find safety from the oncoming storm, but they were soon cut off as Fargo pushed inside The Lady's Eye, and the curtain fell closed behind her. The front room was small and dark, the only thing in front of her was a desk with a young boy no more than sixteen who sat writing inside a notebook, textbooks surrounding the surface in front of him.

Fargo stood awkwardly for a moment, but when he still took no notice of her presence, she cleared her throat.

He jumped, nearly falling from his seat. "Oh!" He roughly pushed his glasses up his nose and quickly began moving his schoolwork to the side. "Hello, welcome to The Lady's Eye." He said quickly, still shutting his books and piling them to the side. "The Lady is out at the moment, but you can wait. She should be back shortly."

Fargo blinked. Looking at him closer, she could see the bags under his eyes, and she watched as he nervously patted at his wild hair. "I'll wait." She said.

"Okay." He said awkwardly. "Well if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them."

"Okay."

And like that, a heavy silence fell around them. The boy watched her as he stood stiffly behind the counter, while she made every effort not to look in his direction. Fargo had assumed if she came later when there was less business, she could see the Lady right away and leave. Just her luck that she show up while the Lady was absent.

"Have you ever done this before?" The boy asked. "Oh, I'm Hugo, by the way." He added quickly.

"Hi, Hugo." She said.

After a long pause, he asked again, "So... have you?"

Fargo pulled at the end of her coat. "No. This is my first time."

Hugo leaned against the counter. "Are you nervous? I've never done it either. I've always been too nervous. Some people leave all giddy, or just calm. But sometimes others will leave angry, spitting curses, or sobbing their eyes out." He explained, "I can never pull myself to do it."

"I'm not nervous." Fargo lied. She wasn't quite sure why she lied, but admitting she still had doubts about all of this felt like something she should be ashamed of. Just being here felt wrong.

"Well that's good. I hear it makes it easier when the customer is calm and willing."

Fargo simply nodded, and once again silence prevailed. Hugo didn't attempt to spark another conversation. Instead he hesitantly slid his textbooks back in front of him and continued to work, leaving Fargo to wait standing before him.

It was at least another ten minutes before the curtains opened, and in walked a tall, thin woman. She was everything Fargo assumed a lady was meant to be; she was tall, had porcelain skin, silky black hair that reached her waste, a heart shaped face, and the figure of a goddess.

She stopped in front of Fargo, looking down at her. Fargo felt her insides shrink as she felt massively insecure standing next to such a beautiful spectacle. Suddenly every flaw Fargo had ever noticed about herself was magnified.

"Are you here to be read?" The Lady inquired. Fargo had never understood when people would describe a voice as smooth, or melodic, but she assumed this had to be it.

"Yes." Fargo replied meekly.

"Then follow me." The Lady walked swiftly through a doorway off to the side of the room and disappeared around the corner.

Fargo cast a nervous glance Hugo's way and found her smiling at her. "There's no need to be nervous." He assured her, but the comforting words felt hollow. Fargo only nodded and followed after the Lady.

Inside the next room, the lighting was no better. A candle was set on a low table sat in the center, with cushions on the floor serving as the only seating. The Lady was already sitting, and motioned for Fargo to follow suit.

"What is it you're looking for, Ms..." The Lady trailed off and looked at Fargo expectantly.

"Oh, uhm. Fargo." She said. "And I'm... I'm not sure. A purpose, I suppose? Or some kind of direction." She swallowed, pulling roughly at her jacket. "I'm tired of going through the motions. I want to know why I'm here, what I'm supposed to be doing."

The Lady nodded. "Let's see to it, then." She took hold of Fargo's hands and held them closely above the flame of the candle in the middle of the table. "Focus on the heat coming from the flame." The Lady commanded. "Think of nothing else but how the warmth tickles your skin. Let your mind sink into the fire."

Fargo stared into the dancing candle flame, feeling its heat against her delicate palm. The Lady continued to speak, repeating her commands over and over, her soothing, melodic voice slowly turning into nothing but a hum as Fargo stared deeply into the flame.

The flame burst into black tendrils that stretched toward the ceiling. They were thick and and cold, twisting around Fargo's hands and crawling up her arms.

Fargo's heart pounded, but she felt no compulsion to move away. Not even when the tendrils squeezed around her biceps and began curling around her neck; not even at the distant sound of the Lady screaming for her to pull back.

Fargo was enchanted.

But it was gone in a moment. The candle was smashed right before her eyes, and before she knew it, the tendrils gripping around her body drifted into the air in an inky black smoke. Fargo blinked several times, confused and suddenly... lacking. In what, she couldn't place.

She looked up, and saw the Lady pressed against the wall, her beautiful features twisted into a look of utter terror.

"You are a wretched girl." She whispered.

"Excuse me?"

The Lady stepped forward, "Wretched, I say! Filthy! Corrupt!" She lunged across the table, seizing Fargo by the neck.

The latter tried to scream, but the Lady's grip only tightened.

"I will rid the world of this disease!" The Lady screamed, seemingly unperturbed as Fargo clawed desperately at her hands.

Fargo pulled her legs up and kicked the woman off of her, quickly rolling away and getting to her feet. However, the world around her spun and she fell back to the floor, coughing violently. "What the... hell." She gasped.

She looked up to see the Lady towering over her, the candlestick in hand. "You will become nothing but a murderer." She said. "That is your purpose. Your destiny has been skewed since the beginning. But I will free the world from your corruption; I will free you."

She swung the candlestick down, but Fargo caught it with her hand. "You're insane!" Fargo wheezed, wrestling the candlestick from the Lady's hands.

But the woman remained relentless, tackling Fargo, rolling across the floor and battering mercilessly at Fargo's face.

Fargo held her arms in front of her face, gripping the candlestick tightly in one hand. She had to get out of here. Gritting her teeth, Fargo took a swing at the Lady's head with the candlestick. Its impact was weak, but enough to knock the other woman off of her. Fargo scarily got to her feet. The Lady took hold of her ankle. Again, Fargo swung the candlestick, smashing it down on the Lady's head. Her grip weakened, yet still remained.

"You- you will be a disease to this world." The Lady gurgled helplessly.

One final time, Fargo brought the candlestick against the woman's skull, and the latter's hand fell away from Fargo's ankle.

Fargo stood, legs shaking as she stared, horrified at the scene in front of her. She dropped the candlestick, its clatter against the floor but a distant thud to her ears. "Oh my god." She was almost too scared to move.

No.

No, this pounding in her chest wasn't from fear. This was...

Exhilaration.

Slowly, she retrieved the candlestick once more. She exited the room, back into the lobby. Hugo still sat at the counter. He looked up at her, his ready smile quickly turned to a look of confusion and terror.

"Fargo, what are you doing?"

"It was self defense." Fargo said, moving closer toward him. "The crazy broad tried to kill me!"

Hugo stood up, backing up against the wall. In a trembling voice, he spoke, "What are you saying?"

"I can't let you live, Hugo."

And it was an easy kill. His glasses shattered against the counter as his body fell against it.

Fargo could feel the blood pumping through her veins as she walked back out into the rainy evening. She smiled at the sign hanging in the tinted window. "Let your deepest desires be found."

Some questions from the author:

1) The end feels especially rushed to me. What do you think?

2) Are the characters consistent?

3) Is the dialogue too dry? It's meant to be awkward and one sided (between Fargo and Hugo). Did I achieve that, or was it just painful to read?

4) Fighting scenes are not my strong suit. This one feels pretty choppy. Do you have an advice?

These are just some questions that might help direct your review a little, and also help me with bits in my story that I feel might be able to be fixed up a bit.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Wed May 17, 2017 5:34 am
Kazumi wrote a review...



Hey Pomeroy, pretty solid-looking short right there. I'm just scouting for some shorts to try out a new, rapid-fire style of reviewing, and here I am. It's pretty short to boot, too. I'll answer the questions you have there, then add in some other comments I have on this. Let's begin.

1. The ending doesn't feel rushed for me. However, the epiphany of Fargo's deepest desires does feel rushed. The way you wrote it, it seemed like she was scared, then just a few seconds later she realized, yeah, I like killing people. To me, that seems to be a very unnatural change of mindset. I would expect her to be a little more shook for a little longer before coming to that realization, knowing how grave the sin she committed was. It's very un-human for her to switch gears that quickly, almost robotic.

2. Hugo is fine, but I have complaints with the Lady and Fargo's characters.

I'll start with the Lady. You described Hugo's appearances and mannerisms enough to form an image of the guy (some awkward, nerdy glasses kid), but you just leave the Lady at her physical appearances, for a moment leaving me without a proper and concrete image of her. All we know outside of that is that she's got a pretty pleasant voice, but that ain't enough. Although you do breathe some life into her later on, I still get bugged by that inconsistency in your consistently solid descriptions.

As for Fargo, she initially doesn't seem to be someone who'd find joy in killing. I mean, killers don't seem like they're killers. But the way you characterize her, she just seems to be an ordinary person. She doesn't show any signs of psychopathy, sociopathy, nihilism, cynicism, pessimism or any other forms of brokenness that could tempt Fargo to willingly commit murder. She just seems like a quiet, introverted everyman who wouldn't hurt a fly. That "idiots" line of hers isn't anything particularly alarming, by the way. It's an ordinary response for ordinary people who don't like drunkards.

So when the epiphany came around that she was a murderer in the inside, I was a little shook. Wasn't she just a quiet, introverted everyman? Quiet, introverted everymen won't delight in murder; they would break down and get traumatized. Maybe if you add something like psychopathy or nihilism to her character early on, then we might be able to buy more into her becoming a murderer.

3. The dialogue between Fargo and Hugo was plain, but not awkward. Maybe in some parts, but not everywhere. When a conversation is getting awkward, there is an underlying tension felt because someone is trying to continue the conversation. I don't quite feel that tension. I think it's probably because your writing is smooth in that portion.

"Fargo simply nodded, and once again silence prevailed. Hugo didn't attempt to spark another conversation. Instead he hesitantly slid his textbooks back in front of him and continued to work, leaving Fargo to wait standing before him."

This is an example of your smooth writing, but it pops up in between some of the dialougue. Your usage of commas elongates and slows down the reading of the sentences, making it feel a little more graceful. But that's not how awkward feels like. It also feels detached from the situation, like some reporter recounting the events to me. Maybe if you break up the sentences into smaller ones, then the story might feel more edgy, more in-the-moment, more tense.

4. To be honest, that killing scene didn't feel like a real murderer's killing scene. Killing satisfies the human urge of freedom and destruction, and that's the thrill of it. Society constantly constrains you with all its rules and expectations; study well, love your parents, get a good job, don't do this, don't do that, etc. Society just clamps down on you all the time. But once you reach that breaking point, you just feel the visceral urge to scream, break free, go overdrive, and bash someone's head in with a candlestick.

The way Fargo killed the Lady isn't how murderers murder. The way she killed was still bound by the rules of society. Self-defence asks of you to only use force that is needed to suppress the threat you're facing, nothing more. Fargo did just that. Two whacks to the head, then nothing more.

But if she was a real killer, she would go beyond just killing the Lady. She would use excessive force to kill the threat. She would do something horrible, like gouge her eyes out, or break her arm before killing her, or just bash her in the head again and again and and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again until there's nothing left but blood and pulp on the floor.

Those are the answers to the four questions I have, but I have one last complaint.

Why didn't Hugo hear the commotion happening nearby? He didn't have any earphones on or anything like that. He wasn't like, two miles away from the site of the murder. The room of the murder wasn't implied to be fully soundproofed either. There was plenty of reason for the guy to at least suspect that something wrong was happening.

Anyways, that's my review. If you didn't get anything, don't hesitate to tell me. I hope you've learned something new from this one. I also hope that I'll meet you again through your works. But until then, just keep writing.

-outvaders




Pomeroy says...


Hi! Thank you for the review. It's really helpful, and I appreciate how in-depth you answered my questions. Not that I don't appreciate the other reviewers (trust me, I do, aa) but a lot of the answers to my questions were pretty curt, and not super helpful. Especially since deep down I really felt like those were aspects in the story that I didn't quite get across right, but I couldn't place what exactly was wrong about them, you know? You answered them really well though, and I appreciate that a lot!
And I totally agree with you about Hugo not hearing the commotion. While writing it, I considered making him walk in and that's when he died? But it felt so hecking cliche I really didn't want to do that. I'll add your comment to my footnotes, though, and definitely do something to address it so it's not so... bleh.

Again, thank you for such an in-depth review! I really appreciate it!



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 107
Reviews: 5

Donate
Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 am
phoephernelia wrote a review...



Oh I love this! The characters felt alive and Hugo was relatable. I felt intimidated by the Lady. One thing is that i think was missing was a a contrast in the her feelings after she kills the lady, something like she felt in control or along those lines. Also I think in the beginning there should be something to tell us why she wanted to go there, or how she knows about the place. Something like, "She felt so lost, just another drop in the ocean. She wanted to know who she was or what i was meant to do. That's when Fargo saw an advertisement on the papers that caught her attention." or something like that. It was also the perfect length. Please keep uploading things like this, I'd love to read more!




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 107
Reviews: 5

Donate
Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 am
phoephernelia says...



Oh I love this! The characters felt alive and Hugo was relatable. I felt intimidated by the Lady. One thing is that i think was missing was a a contrast in the her feelings after she kills the lady, something like she felt in control or along those lines. Also I think in the beginning there should be something to tell us why she wanted to go there, or how she knows about the place. Something like, "She felt so lost, just another drop in the ocean. She wanted to know who she was or what i was meant to do. That's when Fargo saw an advertisement on the papers that caught her attention." or something like that. It was also the perfect length. Please keep uploading things like this, I'd love to read more!




Random avatar

Points: 105
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm
ILived says...



Pomeroy, that was just great! I mean usually the stories are just too long to get through and I find myself dropping off halfway. Not with this story though; You've got a great sense of writing. Dialogue was beautiful, descriptions great. This story didn't really need much reviewing. One thing I found would improve the piece would be to add a little background about Fargo as the story went. It adds more dimension to your characters. You can add this by linking some person she sees with a relative/ close friend or maybe a small description that reminds her of something of her past (good or bad).
The first time we meet Hugo was one of the best parts in the story. Amazingly natural.
Great job!!! Keep writing and I'll surely be reading your work.



Random avatar
ILived says...


Ah...Maybe your story was so good, the comment system broke down and had to post this twice.



Pomeroy says...


Yeah, YWS likes to do that sometimes, haha! I'm really glad you liked the story. Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to give Fargo some background so she doesn't seem so mysterious



Random avatar

Points: 105
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm
ILived says...



Pomeroy, that was just great! I mean usually the stories are just too long to get through and I find myself dropping off halfway. Not with this story though; You've got a great sense of writing. Dialogue was beautiful, descriptions great. This story didn't really need much reviewing. One thing I found would improve the piece would be to add a little background about Fargo as the story went. It adds more dimension to your characters. You can add this by linking some person she sees with a relative/ close friend or maybe a small description that reminds her of something of her past (good or bad).
The first time we meet Hugo was one of the best parts in the story. Amazingly natural.
Great job!!! Keep writing and I'll surely be reading your work.




User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 pm
rosette wrote a review...



Hi, Pomeroy!
Oh my word, this was GREAT! I honestly have hated every single story concerning this kind of magic. They always creeped me out. But you've totally succeeded in pulling off an amazing story that flows right into what The Lady saw. Allow me to just... *stands & claps*

1) The end feels especially rushed to me. What do you think?
I didn't find the ending rushed at all. To be honest, I rather enjoyed it. It was probably one of my favorite parts. You give us some insight with that last statement that murder is Fargo's deepest desires, and that clues the reader in to what she'll be doing with the rest of her life.

2) Are the characters consistent?
The characters are amazing, my friend. You've established The Lady and Hugo perfectly. I had no problem with them whatsoever. I did struggle a little with Fargo, however. I'm getting the impression she's merely a teenager here, but other than that and the fact she belittles herself compared to the Lady's gorgeous appearance, I know nothing else about her. What she looks like, how old she is, any background that compelled her to visit the Lady. That latter part is essential, I would think, to the story.

3) Is the dialogue too dry? It's meant to be awkward and one sided (between Fargo and Hugo). Did I achieve that, or was it just painful to read?
It wasn't painful to read, and I saw nothing that made the conversation awkward between them. Fargo just seemed as if she wanted to get straight to the meeting, and Hugo appeared very friendly. I only found this wording awkward:

Hugo leaned against the counter. "Are you nervous? I've never done it either. I've always been too nervous. Some people leave all giddy, or just calm. But sometimes others will leave angry, spitting curses, or sobbing their eyes out." He explained, "I can never pull myself to do it."

I don't see why you put what I highlighted in red right there. It put a stop in his dialogue, taking my mind temporarily off what he was saying, then when he went back, I was confused by what he meant and had to go back and re-read. SO. I said all that to say, I think you should put the "He explained" after all that talking.

4) Fighting scenes are not my strong suit. This one feels pretty choppy. Do you have an advice?
Well, sometimes you want your fighting scenes to be choppy. That way everything's short and abrupt and rushed like it would be if you were in a fight. I didn't necessarily find it choppy, either. But as LadyShadows said, maybe you could incorporate more of Fargo's emotions into it. She must have been scared and bewildered. And also very confused.

Your questions aside, one thing that bothered me was shortly after the fight scene, when Fargo encountered Hugo.
Slowly, she retrieved the candlestick once more. She exited the room, back into the lobby. Hugo still sat at the counter. He looked up at her, his ready smile quickly turned to a look of confusion and terror.
"Fargo, what are you doing?"

Why was he confused and terrified? He didn't know she'd just killed the Lady. All he saw was she was was walking out of the room with the candlestick. I'd think he would ask something more like, "How was it?" or something along those lines. If she had a look of pure evil and hatred across her face, now that would be a little more understandable... but you didn't say if she did. And I don't think Hugo would ask what she was doing, either.

You also never said how she killed him. I'm assuming it was with the candlestick. But how did that make it an easy kill? It took her a little while there with the Lady.

Oh, right. I wanted to mention something about your punctuation. I noticed you did this a lot:
"What the... hell." She gasped.

...making two sentences when there should be one. Instead of a period, just stick a comma there. So it'd look like this: "What the hell," she gasped. Leaving it like you have here makes it seem as if the person said their statement, and then went on to do the other action. In this case, gasping. But they were supposed to be together, weren't they?

Aaandd, that just about sums up all my thoughts!
If you have any questions about anything I said, do let me know, and I'll be sure to get back to you.
Have a great day, and thanks for the read!
cheers!




Pomeroy says...


aaah thank you so much for this review, it's very helpful! I've taken notes from all the reviews and will try and touch on and make these aspects better. I'm really glad you liked the story, and again, thank you very much for your help!



rosette says...


You're welcome :-)
Are you going to post the edited version? I'd love to see it!



Pomeroy says...


Yeah I'll definitely post it!



User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 908
Reviews: 76

Donate
Wed May 10, 2017 5:10 pm
Dest wrote a review...



Wow! This story took me by surprise big time! Also, I loved the description of the city in the beginning because it reminded me of New York (not that I've ever been there, but seems like all the descriptions I have heard of NY).

Fargo scarily got to her feet.

This part confused me though. Was it scary that Fargo was able to get up after being attacked, or was she afraid to get up?

1. For me, I didn't find the ending rushed. I like the open-ended feel.

2. I think so! Hugo stayed awkward but helpful and Fargo stayed unsure of herself until that revelation.

3. I thought it was great. At most, Fargo could have a bit more reaction to the Lady's words. I would have loved to know what Fargo thought at the mention of "murderer." Disbelief? Acceptance?

4. I don't know anything I could add, as I have never written a fight scene before. I mean definitely understood everything that happened within the scene.

Did Fargo have any idea of her prophecised future of evil (I guess)? She took to her role of killing pretty quick.

Overall, this was a great short story, and I hadn't expected it to end that way.




Pomeroy says...


Oops, haha! Scarily is supposed to be "shakily." My bad! I'll definitely fix that when I go back through it again.

I'm glad you liked the story, and thank you very much for the review!
I'll try to go over the ending a little slower and show more of Fargo coming to terms with her destiny? That part honestly felt too quick for me, too.



User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 794
Reviews: 68

Donate
Wed May 10, 2017 4:55 pm
Midnightmoon wrote a review...



Hi there! I'll answer your questions as best as I can. Number 1: I didn't think the ending was especially rushed, I rather enjoyed it. It was a nice ending. Number 2: The characters are just right. Number 3: I found the dialogue just fine. Number 4: The fight scene. I found it pretty good, I mean, a little more terror somehow incorporated would make it perfect. I would make the ending a little more suspenseful, other than that, It was an interesting story. Keep writing!




Pomeroy says...


Thanks for the review!
How would I go about adding more terror to the fighting scene?



Midnightmoon says...


No problem. Hmm...my opinion, is that it's too easy. Maybe a little more darkness, they're fighting in total darkness, nothing but confusion, then maybe have Hugo enter with a light just in time to see Fargo standing of the Lady, empty candlestick in hand, she turns to him, he tries to run.....something like that? I hope this was helpful, if not, sorry.



Pomeroy says...


Ah yeah. I see what you're saying. It is helpful, don't worry! Thank you!



Midnightmoon says...


Welcome!




I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina