z

Young Writers Society


16+

Birth

by Pomeroy


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Birth.

You came into this world a wailing, bloody mess.

As the years went by, you never lost your voice. You never learned what it meant to not speak. Opinions, declarations, comments, all spilled from your mouth like a waterfall without a second thought.

"She's a chatty one, isn't she?" Your parents friends would say in sweet tones as they found amusement in your young rambling. Oh, how they loved you when you were young.

You grew up with words as your talent. You painted sentences into a masterpiece, and your parents encouraged you every step of the way. You glowed with pride at your natural talent.

But then school was a nightmare.

Your peers had little tolerance for a mouth like yours. You spoke your waterfall of words, which they only used to boil and throw back in your face, splashing wicked scars across your skin. Because speaking words- the thing you found joy in at such a young age until now -was used as a weapon here, and those who didn't learn how to aim and shoot quick enough were the targets.

So you learned to close your mouth.

You built a dam in front of your flowing sentences so they wouldn't complain.

Sew your lips shut, little one, and nail the scissors under the floorboards so the temptation to snip away the bloody thread won't be so strong. Out of sight, out of mind they always say, right?

And you learn to stay out of sight.

Alone with your thoughts you sit, confused because the pressure in your chest never quite relieved itself, even when you threw away your weaknesses.

You cut off your voice.

You cut yourself off from those who hurt you, and even those who didn't.

You cut.

And you cut.

And you cut.

The only solution, you think, is to keep going until there's nothing left to hurt.

But the consequences are all too real.

A moment of weakness.

The pressure in your chest channeled to pressure to your wrists.

And it's done.

You leave this world a silent, bloody mess.

Death.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 296
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:56 am
ashotto wrote a review...



Wow. This was an incredibly captivating story. I connected so strongly with the character but moreover I loved the way you wrote it the second person - unique but very well used. I have very little critique over this story - the language is well chosen and the paragraphing is perfect. Well done.

I do have a few minor comments. The line "Because speaking words- the thing you found joy in at such a young age until now -was used as a weapon here, and those who didn't learn how to aim and shoot quick enough were the targets." did not seem to flow very much to me. Perhaps you could remove the words between the dashes and change "was" to "were". Sorry to focus on such a small thing, just trying to help is all :)

Other than that, this story was AMAZING. Very well written.

Keep writing.




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 529
Reviews: 54

Donate
Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:54 am
postmalone says...



Innocence. Happiness. Carelessness. Creativity. But then... Insecurities. Depression. Suicide. Anxiety. Peer pressure. Feeling like you're worthless, not needed, horrible, and numb. Self harm.

That's what I thought and saw throughout this.

I'm gonna follow you, if you're okay with that? I kind of apply to everything above, except suicide hasn't happened yet.

Please be strong. Please...if this applies to your life, if any of this (the bad parts) you can relate to, don't give up. Don't give in to people who hurt you. You are strong.




Pomeroy says...


The "yet" at the end of "suicide hasn't happened" is a tad concerning. Read that last paragraph for me and apply it to yourself, too, okay? Life is a rollercoaster of emotions and experiences, highs and lows, but in the end it'll be okay. As cheesy as that sounds, it will.
Following me is completely alright! I promise I'm not always so angsty, haha.



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 202
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 pm
View Likes
KaitoSSK wrote a review...



Hey, Pomeroy
I read your series and decided to leave a short review of your lovely work.

From what i read, it is a cycle of life kind of story.
But at some point, i thought instead of a short story, this is a poem. But then, it is still categorized as a short story.
The flow was good. It went from good to bad with a steady flow and easy to understand. You ended it well and tragic. (It's beautiful)
In my opinion, you can use this for some kind of depression awareness or anti-bully campaign writing contest, it's brilliant.

I will look forward to your next work!




Pomeroy says...


First off, welcome to YWS! I'm flattered that I'm one of your first reviews.
Yeah, I'm skeptical of ever labeling anything I write as poetry because I know absolutely nothing about how poetry actually works, so I definitely wouldn't know if I was writing it or not. Labeling it as a short story seemed like a safe bet.
I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for the kind review!



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:28 pm
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



Hi Pomeroy,

MJ here for a quick review. This is a super short piece and it's well written, so this might be a really quick review. I have just a few things to commend you on and a couple of suggestions.

Commendations:
1) I thought this was a great way to spread awareness for teen suicide and depression. It was well-written and conveyed through metaphors and illustrations how teens feel when they are going through suicidal thoughts. I feel like some people don't fully understand that process, so I think it's great that you can provide insight into that.
2) You started this story well with an intriguing hook and wrapped it up nicely, telling the short and sad story of a depressed teenager. I did like how you started and ended the story with the same lines. That was a nice touch that helped to clearly indicate the end of the story.
3) You had a lot of great metaphors that helped readers who may have never experienced this get a picture of what it might be like. That goes for your ilustrations as well: you painted a picture, a messy and dark and deep one for sure, but nonetheless a masterpiece, that conveyed the image you were sending across in words.
4) The message of this story, as I mentioned above, is really deep and dark. Even though I have never experienced this, it still struck a chord that I felt familiarity with, from hearing others' stories and the mindset that I imagine someone thinking these thoughts woud have.

Suggestions:
1) You have a lot of short and choppy sentences, which do make a nice point, but sometimes it would flow better but still convey the same point if you used a longer sentence just once, or maybe twice.
2) You don't mention the parents during the time when the MC was in school, and that could be important. We don't know if the MC was facing pressure from his/her parents or what his/her parents were doing, and how that was affecting his/her actions
3) You have a lot of uses of the same words (mostly bloody, pressure, waterfall, flowing), so I would recommend adding in some synonyms for variety.
4) You seem to switch back and forth from instructions that the world is giving you and the thought process of the MC. That can get confusing because there's little signal when you switch, so I would change the tone of some of the writing a little so it was crystal clear. This message is so powerful I think it's important for every little word and sentence to show exactly what you mean, without any chance of ambiguity or uncertainty.

Overall, this was an amazing and very powerful story. It is really deep, however, so I would rate this 18+ instead of 16+, because it is a very strong and deep story. It's up to you, however, as some people rate intensity levels differently. The illustrations and metaphors you used were very clear and helped to paint a picture, just like the MC tried to do. Keep writing!

Best wishes and great job,
MJ




Pomeroy says...


Thank you for this thorough review!! I really appreciated it. I'll definitely be taking some of your advice.



User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:56 am
View Likes
Payalphukan says...



It is a great piece of work. Such lucid writing! It is commendable how you associated the words of the protagonist with flow of water. The flow of the story-line was also good. However, I feel a little more elaboration on the parts where she got disturbed would be nice. I wanted to read more of it.




Pomeroy says...


Hmhm yeah. I should probably add a little more so it seems a little more gradual.
Thank you for the advice! And I'm glad you liked it



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:10 am
lakshyaa says...



I loved the way you started and ended it! lovely! I think it's a great way to spread suicide awareness.




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:07 am
View Likes
lakshyaa says...



I loved the way you started and ended it! lovely! I think it's a great way to spread suicide awareness. the words you used to describe different things really hit a chord within me. it's a bit deep but it's so good.




Pomeroy says...


thank you! I'm glad you liked it :D




First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew