Unknown Story Chap. 2!

by Poltergiest

~Chapter Two~

Knall



Black smoke loomed over the ashy landscape. Ah! What a beautiful morning! The Crimson volcano was like an ink blot on the reflective black mountains. The small Shade crawled out of his pit. The smoke is rolling, the mountains are… there. The sky is dark. Beautiful. The ink black Shade stretched out and gazed at the dark sky looming over head. Not even a cloud. Where the small Shade’s mouth would have been, it would have smiled at the bleak landscape. His claws leaving footprints in the ashy surface, he went to find the enclave.

He scaled two large hills and finally made it to the enclave valley. Ah. Now that’s a work of beauty. He looked down upon the jet black huts of brick and misplaced lumps of yellow marble. The small Shade inhaled the foul air deeply. Ahhhhhhhhh! He continued his journey forward.

Down below there were over one hundred Shades milling about, trying to find supplies for their pits. Our young Shade had a similar mission. He stopped to look at all the odd items the merchants had to sell. Shades seemed to be infatuated with shiny objects. Spoons, glass, diamonds, gold, forks, knives, and best of all, something not even the King of all Shades couldn’t resist, mirror. Possibly the greatest object ever created. So rare there was said to only to be ten pounds of it in the entire world. Our young Shade knew better however. He was not to be fooled by mere shiny objects.

The small Shade continued to look for the item he desired. He stopped at a store where they sold spell books. A real rarity indeed. Unfortunately the Shades of the most recent generation have forgotten about the grave importance of a spell. The average Shade could produce an almost unlimited amount magic. But there were almost no more spells left to be taught. Most Shades today realized spells were almost completely useless. Our young Shade wanted to become the world’s first Shade wizard. So as often as possible, he tried to study spell books and memorized the complex Casting language.

He entered the sorcery shop. Inside was a wide arrangement of spell books. He took one down from the shelf. It was very dusty. He wiped it clean with one large claw and opened it.

Inside were many runes, most of which he understood. Shades did not believe in proper education. He had to teach himself the oddity of the human language. Why would anyone pronounce debt as det? There were also many illustrations of humans in funny robes demonstrating how to cast the spells. He carried the massive book to the black counter in the front of the shop. He passed it over to the old Shade on the other side of the counter. “You won’t like this boy. All in that human language and riffraff.” The aged Shade returned it to the counter.

“I’d still like to buy it, please.” The young Shade asked politely.

“You’re an odd one, Knall. With your manners. Fine take it. But first, that’ll be five tears.”

The small Shade reached into his ink black body and retrieved five shiny black tear drop shaped stones. He put them on the counter. “You want this wrapped?” Asked the storekeeper, indicating the book. Knall nodded. The old Shade behind the counter wrapped the book in the adhesive produced by the mouth, in other words, he licked the book.

A bouncy material solidified over the book making it easier to carry. Knall ripped a small whole in the bouncy adhesive and wore it on his shoulder like a mailbag, whatever that was.

Knall leisurely strolled out of the store and continued to wander the maze of shoppers and stores. He peered into windows where shopkeepers were displaying very shiny objects. After buying a small snack he decided to head back towards his pit.

Munching on snack and following the path, he decided to take a small break. Knall found a large rock and rested on it. When he finished his snack he got up and continued home. When he finally reached the mountain that contained his pit he found one of his tunnels and crawled into it.

Inside he lit the oil lamp and settled into his comfortable rock. Knall leaned back and opened his new book. He set it on the wooden table next to the chair and got up to prepared himself a meal.

He moved aside a ripped piece of cloth to reveal the piece of glass clumsily stuffed into a tunnel looking out upon the toxic smog starting to settle in the mountain range. After a satisfying read Knall took a mud dip and cleaned the shadow-like flesh of Shades. Then he curled up in his spider web and fell to sleep with pleasant thoughts in his mind.

In the morning Knall woke up early and read a few more chapters in his new spell book. It explained how to how to manipulate time. It was extremely complicated and was probably too advanced for Knall. He closed the book and climbed out into the valley where a red sun hung low in the black sky.

Today was another good day, fresh air, just a few clouds. Perfect. Knall walked a different path this time. Even though it seemed as if the entire mountain range was deserted he thought pleasant thoughts as he continued his way to work. Finally he came to the enormous cave where he mined ore and iron with the other Shades. Might as well get started. He pulled a blunt pick out of his inky flesh and carried over his shoulder. He strolled over to where the other Shades were mining and started on a random wall. After five hours of this he stopped to take a break and sat down.

After letting his eyes wander around the endlessly large cave where thousands of Shades were working on scaffoldings, some even on the ceiling of the monstrous cave. After his eyes wandered around the extremely dimly lit cave he caught sight of something flash. He continued to stare at the shiny object imbedded in the cave wall before he decided to go and investigate. As he approached the wall where he had seen the small flash, he could start to see it clearer. He touched the small object. It was stuck in the rock tightly.

Hmmmm. Knall started to dig around the object. He soon discovered it was actually a rather large object. He finally got to the point where he could pry it form its socket. Knall grasped it firmly and pulled very hard. It started to budge. He ripped it viciously out of the rock and inspected it closely. I-its mirror! The tiny object fit in his fist perfectly. It winked back at him, shining evn through odd clumps of dirt clinging to its smooth surface.

He started to think how much it weighed. He could sell the small reflective object for over 8,000 tears. He was so fascinated by the small object he didn’t realize there was a small crack in the rock running towards the ceiling. He put the fist-sized object into his inky skin feeling very satisfied. He returned his attention to the rock wall, now noticing the tiny crack racing up the wall and coming back down to meet its tail. Knall suddenly realized what was happening and began to run for the exit of the cave screaming “Cave in! Cave in! Everybody get out!” Many other Shades dropped their picks and started to scramble for the exit. Almost the second Knall made it out of the enormous cave the entire mountain buckled and came crashing to the ground leaving none alive except for him. “Oops.” He muttered.

“The High Council of Shades herby decrees Knall Yurrgwyx Grwwolv exiled from the Hymashiizybrix clan. Due to the destruction of our primary mining cave and the death of over three thousand Shades. Have you anything to say before you are exiled?” Knall now stood before twenty of the most powerful Shades in the Black Mountains.

He felt very small as he stood before the Council member’s elevated seats. “No.” He replied, feeling very ashamed. He had destroyed the mining facility and accidentally killed thousands of Shades.

“Gather your belongings and leave this land before daybreak tomorrow.” Knall left the Court’s halls with his head hanging. When he returned home he sadly gathered everything important to him: his favorite books, his spoon, his knife, and his portable oil lamp. Knall quietly climbed out of his empty pit. He gazed at the red sun starting to lower into the mountains. He sighed. Goodbye. He quietly started his journey out of the Black Mountains.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:00 pm
Rydia wrote a review...

I think most of the grammar and structure mistakes have been caught again so I'll just give you the same advice as before on that - go through and update this. Trust me, people will give you pointers on the refined version if you do your corrections.

As for plot, character and such... The shade is very interesting but I think his name is a touch too similar to that of your other character and if they're going to be interacting later on it might get a little confusing. Also, I'd like to know a bit more about how your version of shades look. Are they like humans or are they more like beasts. How do they dress? How do they talk?

The setting for this chapter is great but why not take advantage of that. Describe the atmosphere of the mines and the landscape around them. Give us more information on the shade's home. Is it dark and cramped or light and spacious. Does the ceiling leak? It's underground I gather from your reference to it as a 'pit' but are the walls bare rock, soil or something else?

Overall, I like the contrast of these first two chapters, especially the differences between the characters you've introduced so far.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm
gyrfalcon wrote a review...

And here I come again, all geared up and ready to crit, and lo and behold, I am beaten to it! I shall, however, copy/paste this chapter to my computer and read it (at some point, I promise) so that I may be able to better serve you later.

Trust me, darling, if there's anything those above me have missed, it's nothing worth worrying about. :D

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:17 pm
Twit wrote a review...

Tha's had a dubble nit pick, so I'll just say as how this was good, but could be made even better by an edit. Just incorparate all of Sword's and Sumi's points, and you'll be fine. :)

And... Shade? Please tell me it's not going to be like Paolini's Shade! PLEEASE!!! Anyway, it doesn't look like it. Nix all the repetition of "small" (as well as "ink" :wink:) and "young".

Pol wrote:The small Shade crawled out of his pit.

Pol wrote:Where the small Shade’s mouth would have been, it would have smiled at the bleak landscape.

Pol wrote:The small Shade inhaled the foul air deeply.

Pol wrote:Our young Shade had a similar mission.

Pol wrote:Our young Shade knew better however.

Pol wrote:Our young Shade wanted to become the world’s first Shade wizard.

Plus, "our young/small Shade" sounds so patronizing. :)

Anyways, good!

-T

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:55 am
sworddance wrote a review...

Hiya Pol :D
I didn't post on the last chapter because it appeared that you'd already gotten a lot of help on that one, so it would have been kind of superfluous, really, but I did read it. I'll go back and do it too if you'd like, though. Anyway, here I am for this one :roll:
And I rather like this one better than the last one; 'tis much more coherent, and less sporadic. Shades are interesting creatures, too, and whenever they're used there always seems to be another unique take on it.
This particular Shade reminds me of a lizard in one of Mercedes Lackey's ever-brilliant pieces, one who also wanted to become a wizard.

Sooooo anyway, mind if I go through and 'Nazi', as Baroness called it? My 'Nazi-ing' usually includes sheka to help with flow and coherence and all that. I'll try not to repeat anything Baroness said :D

--> first thing- take note of what Baroness said about the repetitive 'ink' or 'black' descriptions. 'Tis a good point.

" Black smoke loomed over the ashy landscape. Ah! What a beautiful morning! The Crimson volcano was like an ink blot on the reflective black mountains."
--> I vote move the thought to after that last sentence, so it doesn't seem to just jump in but is connected with the Shade mentioned immediately afterward
--> It also needs to be a new paragraph

"The ink black Shade stretched out and gazed at the dark sky looming over head."
-->ink-black [needs the hyphen]
--> you already told us he was a Shade, so that's repetitive. Just use 'he' and forget the description, since you give it to us later anyway- several times! :D

"Where the small Shade’s mouth would have..."
--> new paragraph

"His claws leaving footprints in the ashy surface, he went to find the enclave."
--> you used 'ashy' in the first sentence. 'Tis repetitive.
--> what, he doesn't know where the enclave is? :D don't use 'find'. He headed to it, maybe?

"The small Shade inhaled the foul..."
--> You've said the bolded part three times already

"...there were over one hundred Shades..."
--> I vote just saying there were hundreds of Shades

"Our young Shade had a similar mission"
--> This is a definite break in the narrative style. When the narrator speaks to the readers in that particular manner, it comes across as condescending. That's ok if you are targeting a young audience and giving a sort of storyteller-ish voice, but here it's too intrusive.

"not even the King of all Shades couldn’t resist,"
--> you have a double negative, contradicting what you want to say. "could" resist.

" Possibly the greatest object ever created. So rare there was said to only to be ten pounds of it in the entire world."
--> two sentence fragments. Fix please.
--> I do disagree w/ Baroness on the 'pounds' issue, but w/ev.

"Our young Shade knew better however."
-->better, however.
-->again with that 'our' thing

"The small Shade continued to..."
--> that's 4 times

"spell books. A real rarity indeed."
--> spellbooks, one word- ignore your spell-checker. It does not understand fantasy.
--> sentence fragment. I vote "spellbooks- a real rarity indeed."

"Unfortunately the Shades of the most recent generation have forgotten about the grave importance of a spell. The average Shade could produce an almost unlimited amount magic. But there were almost no more spells left to be taught."
--> "Unfortunately, the Shades" [needs a comma]
--> "had forgotten"
--> too jumpy. Combine the first two sentences with a "comma, since" like this: "magic, since the average"

"Most Shades today realized spells were almost completely useless."
--> 'realized' qualifies this as a true statement, and you implied earlier that it was not. "believed" will do just fine.

"memorized the complex Casting language."
-->"complex language of Casting", or "complex language of the Casters"; either one would sound better.

"It was very dusty."
-->Baroness mentioned the choppy sentence structures already
-->avoid using 'very'. It's too simple, not sophisticated enough, and tends to get overused by many amateur writers. (says the amateur writer... :roll: )

"Inside were many runes, most of which he understood. Shades did not believe in proper education. He had to teach himself the oddity of the human language."
--> a jump in topic. "...runes, most of which he understood, even though Shades as a general rule did not believe in proper education. He'd had to teach himself..."

"There were also many illustrations of humans in funny robes demonstrating how to cast the spells."
--> rofl funny, but out of place. It seems too thrown-in. Start a new paragraph, first of all, and maybe tie it to the next thing you tell us. Make the next sentence "Looking over them, he carried the massive book..." etc.

"You’re an odd one, Knall. With your manners."
--> one sentence. Just use a comma to combine them.

"tear drop shaped"
--> teardrop-shaped

"in the adhesive produced by the mouth, in other words, he licked the book."
--> too informal, that intrusive narrator question again. Take the 'dash' Baroness suggested, but cut the 'in other words'
--> RED FLAG GOES OFF! You told us at the beginning that Shades don't have mouths!

"over the book making it easier"
--> book, making

"like a mailbag, whatever that was."
--> I'd cut this. If he doesn't know what it is, you can't have it referenced when it's from his view as the 'assigned' in the third person limited PoV.

"small snack he decided to"
-->snack, he

"he decided to take a small break."
-->check out the last line of the previous paragraph. 'Tis repetitive.

"Munching on snack and following the path, he decided to take a small break. Knall found a large rock and rested on it. When he finished his snack he got up and continued home."
--> this is hardly relevant to the story, so why is it here?

"shadow-like"
-->shadowy. If your spell-check dings it, tell it to piss off. :evil: It's a word, and a better one than shadow-like.

"Then he curled up in his spider web and fell to sleep with pleasant thoughts in his mind."
-->spiderweb
--> extraneous info. Do we need to know his thoughts were pleasant?

"extremely dimly lit cave"
--> this is what, the third time you've described the cave? Not necessary.

"I-its mirror! The tiny object fit in his fist perfectly."
-->It's
--> you told us it was actually a rather large object. How did it become tiny all of a sudden?

"Almost the second Knall made it out of the enormous cave the entire mountain buckled and came crashing to the ground leaving none alive except for him. “Oops.” He muttered."
-->the enormity of the action got lost. I vote this: new paragraph, then 'The second Knall cleared the entrance of the enormous cave, the entire mountain buckled inward and came crashing down, burying all within under several thousand pounds of earth and rock.
As the dust settled, Knall found he was the only one standing outside- the only one who had escaped before the collapse.
"Oops," he muttered.'

"Hymashiizybrix clan. Due to the destruction of"
--> clan, due to the

"Knall now stood before twenty"
-->new paragraph
--> take out the 'now'

"“No.” He replied, feeling very ashamed."
-->"No," he replied
--> too simplistic. Not enough sophistication. "he replied, ashamed" is all you need, or 'replied shamefully' or even just 'replied quietly' or something.

"Knall left the Court’s halls"
-->new paragraph

"He sighed. Goodbye. He quietly started his journey out of the Black Mountains."
--> new paragraph before
--> that's twice you said 'quietly' in that same paragraph. Try "Silently, he began his..." etc.

^.^ I'm done Nazi-ing! ...And good gods, I'm annoying.
Anyway, here's what I think- I too am curious as to how this will tie in to Khor, and I'm now quite curious as to the geography of this world o' yourn. 'Tis interesting indeed... And I would like to see further development on your idea of a Shade, so I can imagine clearly the being you're depicting.
Sooo this was good; besides my Nazi-ing, I rather do like this. It is almost as though it was written in an entirely different style than the previous chapter. Perhaps simply a more experienced style? *shrugs* The evolution is rapid and visible, sib, even in just these two threads. Very nice.

...I'll stop taking up your thread-space now. Nice job- let me know when you post the next chapter :D

~sworddance

kater_314 says...

oh yeah...I forgot, um it was good considering I haven't even read chapter one! LOL.

kater_314 wrote a review...

Um well, it seems Sumi practically covered everything. I have to agree with her, I have absolutely no idea what a shade is, I mean I've got my own picture here, but...what do they really look like? Describe that to your readers. Adjectives come in all shapes and sizes try using a thesaurus.
Also, please, please, please try to describe where he lives. Um, I know it's hard, in fact it's one of my own difficulties, but we (the writer) need to describe what we see in our minds to the reader. They don't always pick up on things quickly (no offense) so we need to lead them through the story simply. :wink: I think that's it.

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote a review...

LOL. Interesting- I'd like to see how this ties with Khor.

Since I'm first, I'm honorbound :coughnot: to be the grammar nazi. And I've had a bad day, so I'm about to take it out on your story.
Prepare yourself. :twisted:

Underlined text is my inserted comments, bolded characters are corrections, mainly spelling and grammar, and strikeouts are what you should take out. Any spacing I put in was for my own sanity and Text-Chi. :wink:

Black smoke loomed over the ashy landscape.

Ah! What a beautiful morning!

The crimson volcano was like an ink blot on the reflective black mountains. You can't have an ink blot on black paper...another simile, please! :D The small Shade crawled out of his pit.

The smoke is rolling, the mountains are… there. The sky is dark. Beautiful.

The ink black Shade stretched out and gazed at the dark sky looming over head. Blasted DARKNESS and INKINESS! Give us some other adjectives, darnit! xD
Not even a cloud. Where the small Shade’s mouth would have been, it would have smiled at the bleak landscape. His claws leaving footprints in the [s]ashy[/s] surface, of WHAT? he went to find the enclave. Confuses Nick, had to go look it up :) try something else

He scaled two large hills and finally made it to the enclave valley.

Ah. Now that’s a work of beauty.

He looked down upon the jet black huts of brick and misplaced lumps of yellow marble. The small Shade inhaled the foul air deeply.

Ahhhhhhhhh!

He continued his journey forward.

Down below there were over one hundred Shades milling about, trying to find supplies for their pits.
Our young Shade had a similar mission. He stopped to look at all the odd items the merchants had to sell. Shades seemed to be infatuated with shiny objects; spoons, glass, diamonds, gold, forks, knives, and best of all, something not even the King of all Shades couldn’t resist: a mirror. Possibly the greatest object ever created. So rare there was said to only to be ten pounds "Hi, I'd like a pound of mirror and a half-pound of pastrami, please." :lol: please clarify :) of it in the entire world. Our young Shade knew better, however.

He was not to be fooled by mere shiny objects.

Hmmmm..........

The small Shade continued to look for the item he desired. He stopped at a store where they sold spell books. A real rarity, indeed. Unfortunately, the Shades of the most recent generation had forgotten about the grave importance of a spell. The average Shade could produce an almost unlimited amount magic. But there were almost no more spells left to be taught. Most Shades today realized spells were almost completely useless. Our young Shade wanted to become the world’s first Shade wizard. So, as often as possible, he tried to study spell books and attempted to memorize the complex Casting language.

He entered the sorcery shop. Inside was a wide arrangement of spell books. He took one down from the shelf. It was very dusty. Combine all previous sentences of paragraph- these are WAY too choppy. He wiped it clean with one large claw and opened it.

Inside were many runes, most of which he understood. Shades did not believe in proper education. He had to teach himself the oddity of the human language. Why would anyone pronounce debt as det? There were also many illustrations of humans in funny robes demonstrating how to cast the spells. He carried the massive book to the black counter in the front of the shop. He passed it over to the old Shade on the other side of the counter. “You won’t like this, boy. All in that human language and riffraff.” The aged Shade returned it to the counter.

You need to work on sentence structure- while short, choppy sentences are often used for dramatic effect, it's a good idea to use a variety to keep the story flowing well. Use the rule of natural punctuation, and you should be good :)

“I’d still like to buy it, please,the young Shade asked politely.

“You’re an odd one, Knall. With your manners. Fine, take it. But first, that’ll be five tears.”

The small Shade reached into his ink black Sumi appreciates the fact that Shades are dark creatures. Now PLEASE PLEASE use a different adjective!body and retrieved five shiny black teardrop shaped stones. He put them on the counter. “You want this wrapped?” Asked the storekeeper, indicating the book. Knall nodded. The old Shade behind the counter wrapped the book in the adhesive produced by the mouth -in other words, he licked the book.

Munching on hissnack and following the path, he decided to take a small break. Knall found a large rock and rested on it. When he finished his snack he got up and continued home. When he finally reached the mountain that contained his pit he found one of his tunnels and crawled into it.

Where do you live, Knall, under a ROCK or something? :rofl:

Inside he lit the oil lamp and settled into his comfortable rock. Knall leaned back and opened his new book. He set it on the wooden table next to the chair and got up to prepared himself a meal. URGH! Your short sentence-habit is REALLY getting on my nerves...combine above paragraph into at least TWO sentences, or I might loose my mind. (Again).

He moved aside a ripped piece of cloth to reveal the piece of glass clumsily stuffed into a tunnel looking out upon the toxic smog starting to settle in the mountain range. WAY too long- shorten it, but only by a bit.

After a satisfying read Knall took a mud dip and cleaned the shadow-like Explain- nobody knows what "shadow-like" flesh looks likeflesh of Shades. Then he curled up in his spider web and fell to sleep with pleasant thoughts in his mind.
Re-write. Nothing more. Just RE-WRITE.

In the morning Knall woke up early and read a few more chapters in his new spell book. It explained how to how to manipulate time. It was extremely complicated and was probably too advanced for Knall. He closed the book and climbed out into the valley where a red sun hung low in the black sky. Too choppy- re-write this, too, in more fluent sentences.

Today was another good day, fresh air, just a few clouds. Perfect. Knall walked a different path this time. Even though it seemed as if the entire mountain range was deserted, he thought pleasant thoughts as he continued his way to work. Finally he came to the enormous cave where he mined ore and iron with the other Shades. Might as well get started. He pulled a blunt pick out of his inky :groans: flesh and carried itover his shoulder. He strolled over to where the other Shades were mining and started on a random wall. After five hours of this he stopped to take a break and sat down.

Natural punctuation, DARN YOU! :lol:

OK, I don't have time to finish grammar nazing the rest of the chapter, but if you see the patterns in my corrections and apply that to the rest of your work, that would be good :)

On the short descriptions of claws, it's tugging me in- what exactly is a Shade? What's it look like?

And for PETE'S sake, PLEASE start using a different adjective than "ink" or "inky". TT_TT

~Sumi :P

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
— Lyndon B. Johnson