Magic's Curse pt. 2

by Poltergiest

Khor heaved back the massive stables doors and took several steps to reach an open room littered with straw. Winterblaze lay amongst the hay and darkness and moved his head so his mane was out of his rich brown eyes.

Khor approached his friend and fell into the straw next to him. Winterblaze gave a soft sound and nudged the boy with his nose. “Life will always be strange, won’t it?” he asked. Still without an answer, Khor fell to sleep.

Snow fell from a darkened sky silently and without warning. White blanketed nearly everything in a pleasant stillness that night. Coming along with the snow was a thin sheet of white clouds that seemed to spread and filter the sun’s light.

Frost covered the forest floor and held each leaf in place as snow gathered in the canopy so much further away. The stream nearly froze over but had become unbearably cold for compensation.

“My toes are numb.” Khor said into the vast and eerie silence. He stood ankle deep in the freezing stream in his black boots. Despite the leather’s thickness, he was still feeling quite cold.

He had his black cloak balled into his fists as it was draped over his shoulders. He did this in part to keep the material away from the water and partially to keep himself from shaking. Snow was very slightly beginning to gather in his hair.

The cold dried his eyes of moisture as they gazed down into the chasm. Khor cautiously stole a step toward the sudden drop and stiffly planted his foot there before moving his entire body forward.

The boy suddenly inhaled deeply, tasting salt in the air. A smile slid its way onto Khor’s face and planted itself there firmly. Memories of that day filled his mind. The soft sand, the gentle sun, the calming waves. Everything about that day was perfect. That’s when his father was around… They were a family then…

A soft, nearly unnoticeable crunch came from behind Khor. He slowly turned, expecting Jasel or Kason but saw something that surprised him. His father was slowly walking toward him. An unshaven face smiled at Khor, partially hidden beneath unruly black hair.

Khor’s father was fully armored even a shield hanging from one shoulder. The polished and slightly battered armor was colored blue with black letters across the chest plate. RA, an abbreviation for Royal Army.

There was time when Khor would have instantly stopped no matter what he was doing and rushed to embrace his father. As of late he was visiting less and for shorter time.

Khor turned back to the abyss, smile vanishing. When his father did finally reach Khor, he dropped his circular shield onto the ground and sat upon it, actually able to turn his head and meet Khor’s eye.

“Feet cold?” his father asked. He didn’t respond.

“Your mother told me about yesterday…” he began again, “Sounds like you have the hide of a golem. Wonder how you’ll do in an arena match.” His father smiled at Khor but he kept his eyes fixed on the rift.

“Listen, I know I haven’t been around very much but-“

“No, you haven’t.” Khor stopped him. His father opened his mouth to say something in return but closed it soon afterward. The tired soldier stood and retrieved his shield, now walking back down the stream and to his home.

Khor met with both of his parents that night for dinner. The food was exceptional as usual but the company was unusual. Not a word was spoken the entire meal, Khor’s father had changed out of his armor and into a simple brown tunic and matching trousers.

He had bathed and shaved and now looked much more like the man Khor should have grown up knowing. Khor had barely touched his vegetables and only taken a few bites out of his salted pork when he was excused from the table. Night had fallen not long ago and the cold of the winter was beginning to intensify.

Khor retreated to his room, the pathway lit by several candles hung along the narrow hallway; each had pools of hot wax gathering in the circular tray at the base of each candle.

As Khor threw open the door to his room, he moved immediately to his drawer, ignoring his bed, his desk and the numerous silver trinkets littered all around the floor. He retrieved his black cloak and pulled on his boots. He had to go back. Something drew him to the chasm and it enthralled him. This is a mystery that must be solved.

As Khor took his first step out of his room he stopped with his hand on the door, prepared to slam it shut. He quickly turned and stepped up to his desk were he wrenched open the center drawer. He easily found a small black box and opened it. He hastily retrieved the object resting on the black velvet there and thrust it deep into his pocket.

Though he wished to avoid the company of his father, he had to cross through the dining room where his parents where undoubtedly still eating. As he approached the room he heard a voice speaking angrily.

“Now he’s not eating! He’s still drawn to that place, Rill, and you’re not making matters better.”

“What am I suppose to do Bressa?” his father replied, “I just got home, I’m due to leave tomorrow morning, I don’t want my son to remember his father as a tyrant.”

“I don’t think he cares about remembering you, Rill!” Khor was now crouched just outside the door, pressing his ear against the polished wood, listening intently.

“Shall thinks he should send for a, a conjurer! To see if he’s fit to be a magician!” his mother said.

“Because he fell off a cliff and survived? And what if they do send a recruiter? Why would it be a bad thing if Khoralie were to become a sorcerer?” his father argued.

“The other village boys beat him because he’s different; think of what will happen if he goes off to a school where he’ll be even more outcasted?”

Khor heard a soft, almost unheard creak behind him and knew he was discovered. Khor stood and turned to face Trannil, the family overseer. He cared for the horses in the stables, prepared the meals, and cleaned and managed the house.

Trannil was six feet and nearly five inches tall, his skin was as pale as Khor’s, veiny and paper white. He was muscular and had long straight blonde hair that fell to his shoulders and was pulled out of his face.

He looked down at Khor with his nearly white blue eyes and opened his mouth. “I think we’ve heard enough, master Khoralie.” Without a word, Khor followed Trannil back down the hall, in the dim candlelight, his skin seemed translucent, nearly transparent.

When the two had reached Khor’s room the manservant pushed opened his door and Khor stepped inside and sat at his desk. He hung his head and let his black hair fall into his face. “Your parents love and care about you. Though it may be none of my business, they’ve done much for you and only care about you’re well being. I believe they deserve more respect.”

Khor knew it was true and felt as if he had been caught doing something devious. Trannil crossed the room and placed a white gloved hand on Khor’s shoulder. “You’ve had much to think about these past few days. You should rest and regain you’re strength.”

Khor still didn’t respond as he left the room and firmly closed the door behind him. The boy sat alone in the dark and counted his breaths five times. Afterward, he stood and climbed onto his bed and opened the already cold window. He slipped out and closed the glass behind him. The snow made a calming crunching sound as his boots fell into it, carrying Khor across the plains, back to the forest.

greenjay wrote a review...

Khor is back! :) I always did like his character. Is this like a prequal to Pure Magic?

Something drew him to the chasm. [s]and[/s] It enthralled him. [s]This is[/s] It was a mystery that [s]must[/s] had to be solved.

Careful not to change tense.

This description is a little sudden. I'd suggest cutting it or expounding, describing the rest of the hall as well so that it is not so out of place.

Same as before: suddenly there and suddenly over. Lengthen it a bit and give a little intro of sorts to link the action with the description.

Hey. This Trannil guy reminds me of the badguy in Pure Magic :P.

Wow...this is pretty cool so far. You've always been one to keep me mystified, and this one is no different. Keep it up!

-GJ

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:10 am
Tatra wrote a review...

So, finally got around to reviewing this great chapter. Although, it did get a bit confusing, the way you jumped around without any markers. I think that you could use a bit more descriptions, to help make things a bit clearer. Otherwise, it's an interesting chapter. Plenty of things in it to keep us wondering about what happens next.

Khor approached his friend and fell into the straw next to him. Winterblaze gave a soft sound and nudged the boy with his nose. “Life will always be strange, won’t it?” he asked. [s]Still[/s] without an answer, Khor fell to sleep.

This is a very lovely scene, and I do love horses, but there is a sort of a problem. This is a short scene and it ends with him falling asleep, so it suggests that everything that happens afterward was a dream. Of course, part of this problem was that I first scanned this chapter, instead of really reading it, but it's still something you want to look into. Try and expand this scene, adding in description, and then clarify that time has passed, instead of him falling asleep.

Also, a few small corrections. I'm really not an expert on horses, but I'm not sure that they really lay down too often. Mostly you hear about them standing in stalls. So, you might want to do a bit of research on that. Then, I don't think you need the 'still,' as you wouldn't expect a horse to answer, although I think this part and the speech tag have been covered already. Like I said, I've just been scanning until now.

He stood ankle deep in the freezing stream in his black boots.

I just have one question, why is he standing in the stream, instead on on the cliff? I mean, there was that spot where he fell off and, presumably, there might be an easier spot to watch off the cliff.

He had his black cloak balled into his fists as it was draped over his shoulders. He did this in part to keep the material away from the water and partially to keep himself from shaking. Snow was [s]very slightly[/s] beginning to gather in his hair.

Sentence one could use a bit of rephrasing, some clarification. Sentence two is okay, I'm just lazy at the moment, working on my laptop. And sentence three does fine without the adverb.

The boy suddenly inhaled deeply, tasting salt in the air. A smile slid its way onto Khor’s face and planted itself there firmly. Memories of that day filled his mind.

Why is he inhaling like that? Was it because of the scent, or because of the long drop? And, what what day was he talking about? Also, I would like a longer scene or some time between him talking about his father leaving them and his father reappearing. We really don't get the impact of his life without his father. Also might want to watch the ellipses and, yes, I'm being lazy about copying.

He slowly turned, expecting Jasel or Kason but saw something that surprised him. His father was slowly walking toward him. An unshaven face smiled at Khor, partially hidden beneath unruly black hair.

First sentence, would any of the five boys really bully Khor ever again? He fell off a cliff, they must have thought that they had killed him, and then they would be really surprised that he was still alive. Then, connect the face to the father. Then connect the description of him to his father.

Again, this needs to be connected together. What does the visiting time have to do with his feelings for his father?

He didn’t respond.

His father didn't respond, or Khor didn't respond? New paragraph, and clarification.

Again, you need to mark the time passing between scenes. Then, why didn't he eat anything at the table? Connect us to the character, what is he thinking while he's at the table? It's a great source for a great scene: his estranged father is there, and he's becoming obsessed with the ravine.

Khor heard a soft, almost unheard, creak behind him and knew he was discovered. Khor stood and turned to face Trannil, the family overseer.

Comma. And, this is the first time we've gotten an indication that this family has money. Or, at least it seems that way. The stable scene might be a good place to introduce the idea of the overseer.

Without a word, Khor followed Trannil back down the hall, in the dim candlelight, his skin seemed translucent, nearly transparent. When the two had reached Khor’s room, the manservant pushed opened his door and Khor stepped inside and sat at his desk.

This could be its own sentence, the underlined part. And, connect it to the person it belongs to. Then, a comma, later on in the next paragraph.

Then, I would like it if your characters would interact more. Give us more dialogue, and see if you can teach us things that way.

All in all, I liked this chapter, once I finally figured it out. I'm interested in the big deal about magic, Khor's obsession with the ravine, his father, and whatever was in the box. Looking forward to reading more.

PM me if you have any questions, and good luck with your writing!

sokool15 wrote a review...

While I do agree with what the previous critiquer said, I must say I really enjoyed this piece. I would like a little more clarity on where exactly Khor is at different points in the story, perhaps a bit more of an idea of what areas look like.

Only one specific thing:

Winterblaze gave a soft sound and nudged the boy with his nose. “Life will always be strange, won’t it?” he asked.

I can't tell if it's Winterblaze or Khor asking the life question. I mean, Winterblaze may be a horse, but we're not sure if horses can talk in this world you've created...so instead of 'he asked" maybe specify Khor, or 'the boy' or something.

Also:
The other village boys beat him because he's different; think of what will happen if he goes off to a school where he'll be even more outcasted?

Outcasted isn't a word. "to a school where he'll be even more of an outcast" would be more appropriate.

Anyway, I liked the piece - you've progressed immensely. Pm me when you get the next installment up!

~MademoiselleKool 8)

Sorsha2 wrote a review...

I think this piece has potential. There are just a few things I noticed that I think you need to work around to enhance the piece.

In the beginning you started off with so much description and detail - what happened? You give one or two things here but not enough to piece the whole picture together. I still can't envision where the story is taking place, even the doctor's office or the stable where he's with Winterblaze. I couldn't even make sense of the era of the story until armor and shield was mentioned - you might want to make this clear because the use of 'doctor' makes me think of something more moden. If you're intention is a more midevil feel, use 'physician'.

Also, I don't really care about Khor. I can't feel for him or understand what he's thinking because we don't really get much from his character other then the odd side note here and there. I don't know anything about him. If you don't want to reveal too much just yet that's fine, but try to ellude to a few things so we as a reader have something to work with to draw the picture.

In this chapter you touch on some kind of tension between him and his father, before he enters the scene Khor is having a kind of memory, or you hint to it, about him and his dad and happier times.

Beef that up a bit. Give us an image: he's three years old, playin the stream, his father is there with him and they're splashing around and laughing. It was hot and sticky - summertime, etc. And then desceribe the drastic change in emotion from joy to hatred when his memory is disturbed by his father stumbling upon him in the cold.

Also, give us more detail when describing the character aside from thier hair and eye color.

How does his father appear? Is he tall, lanky and walk with a loose gait, angular chin shadowed with a haze of beard and weathered scars visible under the cuffs of his shirt? Or is he stout and portly, his stance wide and large hands always curled into fists like he's ready to take on the world?

WHY is he standing in the partially frozen stream? I kind of got the impression as I read onwards that he might be considering throwing himself over the edge and commit suicide. If so, or if not - pleeeease explain in more depth. Play with his thoughts. Maybe he's having an internal arguement with himself.

Father will come, he thought desperately. I didn't show for dinner, mother saw me head into the woods...I heard her call out. He'll come, I know he will. Only the quiet hum of the night answered him, and the longer time drew onwards, the less and less his one thoughts convinced him. Why would he? Why should he care about me? Ever since Lynk died...I tried-it wasn't my fault. (I know this may be soooooo far off from your story line, but I just want you to get a sense of what I mean when I say 'having an internal arguement'. ANd it all doesn't have to be thoughts, some of it can be spoken as well since everyone has a tendency to talk to themselves at one point or another.

Good. I can see Trannil much better then anyone else - but how old is he? Follow this with your other characters but try and give them something individualistic. Does he have a limp? A funny quirk with his hand/s, lazy eye - this doesn't have to be the case all the time but is something to keep in mind Having the character with the occassional oddity enhances the others around him. Why is his skin so pale? Is he of a different race/culture? Are overseers determined by thier ethnicity? You could use the introduction of the overseer to give the reader more information about the setting and the social heirarchy, even the political structure (since the father is part of the Royal Army - what does that entail?)

gloved hand? Careful, depending on the era - this might not be realistic.

I found the writing/ description for the actions in this piece very .... methodic/ regimented...like counting beats for a dance steps - 1,2,3,4 and 5,6,7,8.

Instead of he did this and then followed it with that so he could reach there... etc, try governing a few of the things by emotion.

'flooded with anger, Khor stormed to his room and the desire to eat his meal suddenly vanished. How could he possibly eat now? Before he was able to disapper into the one haven Khor possessed, the voices of his quareling parents wafted up to him from the stairway. Hesitantly he paused, unsure of what to do next. Should I go into my room, close the door and shut them out? Or should I listen, he wondered. His mothers shrill voice rose another decible and moved by curiosity alone, Khor sat at the top of the stairway and even though she was not facing him, he could feel the waves of her frustration and hositility even from his high perch...'

Again, these are just suggestions. Feel free to use or ignore them.

Hope this helps :o)

You flare, you flicker, you fade... And in the end, all your tomorrows become yesterdays.
— Megatron (Lost Light, by Roberts, Lawrence, Lafuente)