The Swallowing Sea

by PoetryMisfit

A young man sat on the sea and looked out to the horizon where it stretched endlessly as though to the edge of the world.

He searched his reflection on the tremoring surface and found an emptiness within his eyes that could engulf the entire ocean. There was a peace that came with the solitude as he sat back in the boat and thought about how dull his life must have seemed to others.

Many people travel the world to find the answers to life’s riddles but the sea had all he needed. He didn’t desire any grand adventure, though many youth such as him thirsted for it. Sometimes he wished the ocean would swallow him whole so that he would never be apart from it.

The first drops of rain slid down his face so gently he wondered if he’d imagined them, until more followed suit. He closed his eyes, welcoming them. A splash suddenly disrupted the steady downpour and he immediately sat up to inspect his fishing line, but nothing had been caught. How odd.

Unless the fish were merely taunting him, swimming circles around his boat in mockery of his attempt to catch them. He was intruding on their world after all.

Another splash, this time from behind. He turned but saw only movement from the current. The ocean was playing tricks.

He sighed and turned back to his fishing line when he nearly collided with the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her arms were propped on the side of the boat and her long black hair flowed like two black rivers down her chest. Where did she come from? “How? Wha–” he stammered.

She leaned forward and brought her face close to his, studying him with an intensity that made his cheeks burn. He cleared his throat and prepared to say something when she said, “I’ve never seen a human up close before. How peculiar.”

What does she mean by human? Isn’t she human? He had heard stories from the men at the wharf about mermaids who lured men to a watery grave with their beauty. He cleared his throat again. “Well what exactly are you if not human?”

She furrowed her brows and withdrew from him. “I am sure you’ve heard the legends about us - mermaids - as you like to call us. We belong to the sea and the sea belongs to us,” she paused, “you should return to your village. There is a terrible storm coming and the others are preparing to feast. It is not safe for you.”

Why would she warn him when she could easily drag him down to the depths where the others must surely be?

Others.

Were they civil like her or more closely resembling the sinister mermaids he’d heard about? He was a long way out from the shore, and the rain grew heavier in thick drops that quickly drenched him.

He grabbed his oars and turned to the mermaid who had pushed away from the boat. He stared, mesmerized by her beauty, and caught himself leaning towards her, quickly readjusting himself. “Thank you for your warning. Maybe we’ll meet again,” he asked hopefully, which surprised him.

She said nothing as she slipped beneath the surface and he caught a quick glimpse of a silver tail with gleaming scales that matched her eyes.

He had never seen anything like her before, and waited to see if she would resurface, but when the water remained still he started towards the shore. The muscles in his arms burned as he rowed as quickly as he could not daring to look at the ensuing storm gathering behind him.

The rain pierced through the dense fog, which continued to obscure a view of the shore. The current grew aggravated and waves began to push and pull his small boat, sending him reeling in one direction and then another.

Suddenly, a large wave rose up against the sky and he gritted his teeth as it crashed, flipping his boat and throwing him into the water. The cold water seized him like a vise and as he spun he couldn’t tell which way was up.

Numb, he felt the current grab hold him and pull. What if he let the ocean swallow him after all? He slowly sank as what little light illuminated the surface faded to darkness.

He closed his eyes and listened to the thrumming of the ocean.

The churning of the current.

And a distant song that resounded throughout, eerily melodic. There were no words, just a vocalization. He felt compelled to find its source no matter how far he had to swim. A dark figure slowly approached and he reached out his hand, the song growing louder.

A face appeared and then the sleek body of the woman from before. Her pale skin glowed in the darkness, as did her silver tail. Her lips formed around the melody she sang and again he fell victim to her magnetic pull – mesmerized.

She came close, her dark hair swirling around them like a thick cloud as she brought her hands to his face and her lips to his. Air filled his lungs that burned from holding his breath so long.

She dragged him upwards until they broke the surface where he drank the air in one giant gulp after another. “I told you to go back,” she said. He looked around and spotted the shore not far from where he was. How he covered so much distance, he did not know. He turned back to her. She looked sad. “I know,” he admitted, “and look, I’m not much farther. I’ll get there.”

She slowly shook her head. “I’m afraid it’s too late.” He looked at her questioningly when suddenly various small hands seized his arms and legs, dragging him beneath the surface, her face being the last thing he ever saw. 

Hi Poetry Misfit,

My first impression of the story was eerie and mysterious, suspenseful and enigmatic. Your short story has something magical about it, which I really love, and draws the reader in. I like how the two characters remain nameless throughout the story and you only know them minimally. It gives the whole plot an even more subconscious, dramatic mist that you have while reading. It is tangible and yet unknown.

Some points that struck me while reading:

Unless the fish were merely taunting him, swimming circles around his boat in mockery of his attempt to catch them.

The sentence here seems like he's really getting going, but just when he reaches top speed, he slows down again. It sounds like something is missing here, or it was meant to sound different.
He was intruding on their world after all.

I like the idea of the sea being its own world.
Her arms were propped on the side of the boat and her long black hair flowed like two black rivers down her chest.

I like your description and the idea behind describing the hair as rivers, but I don't know what exactly is meant by the "black rivers". It's a little unclear. (for me at least)
She dragged him upwards until they broke the surface where he drank the air in one giant gulp after another.

That's a neat description of how you described the breathing. It's also great in contrast to the ocean, where he was just underwater and drinking there would have killed him.

I like your beginning. It sounds poetic and ponderous, just like the man you describe. It feels like he's the only person on the big wide ocean, and you hit the nail on the head with your descriptions, immediately building a very soothing but tense atmosphere.

I like how you always stick to your calm, question-and-doubt style throughout the plot, making even the climax towards the end flow in a slow tone. I also like how the dialogue is kept to a minimum, giving the plot an extra point of mystery.

I felt as though the story told of loneliness and the desire to belong somewhere. It gave me the feeling that the fisherman, tired of his life, would rather disappear than return. But he wants to have his kind of "death wish" fulfilled by the mystical sea, swallowed up by the unknown. The lifelessness as you first describe him, in conjunction with the ocean, is very fitting for this. The short section where you talk about other people travelling is also fitting, and helps the reader understand the character of the young man.

What I particularly liked is how at the end the man says "... I'm not much further. I'll get there." It can be ambiguous and it can be interpreted as if it was his wish. I also like how the ending is left so open and you don't find out if he is happy or not with that decision.

It was a very great story with a simple yet deep plot, as unpredictable as the ocean. :D

Mailice.

PoetryMisfit says...

Hello Mailice.

Thank you so much for your review, I always enjoy reading what you have to say about my stories. Your suggestions were very helpful and the way you interpreted my story honestly gives it much more depth than I originally intended it to have. You helped give me a new perspective on my own story!

Poetry Misfit

Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 am
starlitmind wrote a review...

Omg yesss you wrote a new story :')) I'd love to leave a review for you, if you don't mind! ^_^

Ooh, how can one exactly sit on the sea? :O Is he on a boat that's sitting on the sea?

He searched his reflection on the tremoring surface and found an emptiness within his eyes that could engulf the entire ocean.

I just wanted to point out that I'm not exactly sure if "tremoring" is a word -> I couldn't find it online in this form. Perhaps trembling could be a substitute, if it isn't actually a word?

This is some really beautiful imagery. I love the way the surface of the water is shaking -> that could represent the instability of the man. In addition, the way you described his emptiness was so specific and strong. It feels almost desperate, as something so empty is wanting to fill itself up with so much of literally anything. I like how all of your images can connect back to the mental state of the man

There was a peace that came with the solitude as he sat back in the boat and thought about how dull his life must have seemed to others.

Ah, okay, maybe I misunderstood the last part xD I do think it almost might be a bit contradicting for him to be content with his life but empty at the same time. His life seems fulfilling to him, so I wonder why his eyes seem so empty? Or are willing to consume something? I could totally be misunderstand though, those are just my thoughts ^_^

He didn’t desire any grand adventure, though many youth such as him thirsted for it.

I thought he didn't desire it, so why would other youth be similar to him, as indicated by the "such as him"? Unless you are saying that the two are alike in that they are both youthful. But to me it sounds like others desire for some adventure, just like the man. I might be reading it wrong though, so could be a just me problem xD

A splash suddenly disrupted the steady downpour and he immediately sat up to inspect his fishing line, but nothing had been caught.

Suspicious >.>

I like how in these two sections you're personifying the ocean and breathing character into ocean life. The "ocean playing tricks" gives a playful and an alive feel, especially combined with fish mocking the man

Where did she come from? “How? Wha–” he stammered.

I like how I can see how caught off guard he was with his dialogue. Is there anything else you can do to also portray this? Like maybe his face goes white? Or perhaps he flails, almost falling off his boat. Maybe just some other actions to show his surprise ^_^

“Thank you for your warning. Maybe we’ll meet again,” he asked hopefully, which surprised him.

Based on the stories he heard, I don't think that's such a good idea >.>

I love your used of specific verbs -> "pierced" and "grew aggravated" and "reeling" are great :')

A dark figure slowly approached and he reached out his hand, the song growing louder.

He's about to die / get "lured to a grave," isn't he ? >.>

She looked sad. “I know,” he admitted, “and look, I’m not much farther. I’ll get there.”

Aww, she did try to save him and even feels sorry for him. I guess she's not as sinister as the others

He looked at her questioningly when suddenly various small hands seized his arms and legs, dragging him beneath the surface, her face being the last thing he ever saw.

AHHHHH NOOOOO :( rip, poor guy

Random suggestion that you can def ignore: perhaps you could make the ending more creepy? The idea of "various small hands" is super eerie >.> I wonder if you could add to that chillingness. Like hmm, maybe describe their hands / something else as slimy / scaly? Or what if seaweed were to wrap around his legs or something 0.0 or maybe even using more aggressive verbs, like "yanked" could portray a different meaning. Idk, the idea just popped in my head so I thought I'd share xD

Ahh, I seriously love each and every one of your stories. When I started reading, I definitely didn't expect the protagonist to get taken away by sister mermaids >.> Your stories always have some sort of a surprise element, and that's what I really love about them. In addition, your images always feel so perfect. They aren't excessive, but instead are the right amount of "flowery" and tie back in to the atmosphere of the story / events of the story. I really love the way you describe things c:

And that's all I got for you! ^_^ I hope some of these thoughts prove useful to you, and I hope to read more from you soon <3

PoetryMisfit says...

Hello starlitmind.

"I just wanted to point out that I'm not exactly sure if "tremoring" is a word -> I couldn't find it online in this form. Perhaps trembling could be a substitute, if it isn't actually a word?" (Thank you for pointing this out, sometimes I make up words without even realizing it XD).

I really appreciate your suggestions, I know there's always room for improvement.

Also, I'm so happy to hear that you enjoy my stories!

Thanks a bunch!

Poetry Misfit

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!!

First Impression: Hmm..this was a really interesting story and as a fan of both the sea and mermaids and other mysterious sea creatures this was definitely a lot of fun to read...although the poor guy ended up getting dragged away there in the end. Well, a bit more detail down below.

Well...that's a lovely peaceful little start to that story....you definitely get a very good sense of what the setting around it is like and you can almost smell just how peaceful the air around that must be. Definitely a lovely start to a story with a nice little description to establish it.

Hmm...well...that's a pretty nice wish to have...just hanging out by the sea or being part of it...it is a nice break from everyone that seems to look out to sea and long for a great adventure.

Hmm...a nice bit of relaxing rain is always a good idea...I am so far loving the imagery surrounding everything...although the fishing line turning up with nothing is a tiny touch of mystery and I'm loving that too.

Oooh...this mystery is heating up a little I see.

Oh wow...well that's a very interesting thing to run into...well...either its a friendly mermaid or a bloodthirsty siren I suppose...this could be quite interesting...let's see if its going to a fun story or a terrifying one then shall we?

Hmm...well that's not a good sign for the ending of this story and this poor guy...oh dear..on the bright side...I love her dialogue so far...not to mention the way his thoughts are telling us about the mermaids and showing his confusion is also pretty neat.

Okay...so far she seems to be one of the nice mermaids...that's a good sign for our man here....let's hope she's not just trying to trick him.

Others.

Well...there does seem to something about that...sirens are a type of mermaid I think..maybe...I don't know too much about this stuff..xD

Hmm...well that doesn't surprise me..xD..mermaids are always very interesting to run across...either at sea or in a story ;) and this is pretty nice so far.

Hmm...nice bit of description there as he's trying to row for his life here and get out onto shore before the storm gets him.

And the description of this storm slowly building up is pretty nice too.

Ouch...well he's going to have a very hard time getting out of that one...

The churning of the current.

Oh well he appears to be giving up somewhat...that's not a good sign...on the bright side at least he would get his wish if he did end up being swallowed by the ocean.

Uh oh...that's a good sign?? I don't know...him being mesmerized by here doesn't seem like a good sign...it looks like this one is definitely going to be swallowed by the ocean and in a way that he would never have imagined.

Well...he did really give it his absolute best shot...but they way she says she warned him there to get back to shore does not seem to be spelling anything good for this guy.

Well...at least it appears that she did genuinely want to save him and is somewhat sorry about what's about to happen...and well...a bit of a sad ending there..but at least got what he wanted in the end....so that's something.

Overall: Well...this was a fun little story to read here. I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit...I think its actually kind of a fitting ending here..and just a nice relaxing little story to read. Well...that's all I gotta say for this one. :D

PoetryMisfit says...

Thank you so much for your review!

EvaR14 wrote a review...

I think this story's really cool!
I like the idea on its own and I think it's written/executed really well. I haven't got much in the way of criticism or advice, but I thought I'd just let you know what I liked about it.
Firstly I like the concept of the story - with someone at sea and the mermaid. It's cool because most depictions of mermaids don't really show them as scary or life-threatening.
I really like how this is structured, with the breaks in paragraphs and general story structure. It's easy to read because no part feels like it drags on too long, or goes by too quickly.
I like how you repeatedly mention how he thinks about the ocean swallowing him - I think it's rlly cool in the context of what happens.
The only thing I could give as feedback is that I think it'd be cool if you described what the woman/mermaid looks like when he first sees her, rather than just saying she was beautiful. I did really like describing her hair as "rivers" though, especially because it fits with the theme.
Well done for writing this and thanks so much for sharing :) this was really fun to read!

PoetryMisfit says...

Thank you for your review! :)

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides