The Old Hunter

by PlasticFork

To the Hadza of East Africa.

One of my abiding memories is of, when I worked in a music store a day when and old man stood on the street corner. His black hair was tinged with white. His shirt hung from his shoulders like a dog wearing a human’s clothes. When he shifted his feet, they seemed cumbersome inside the shoes, as if made from blocks of wood.

He was on the street corner when I arrived for work, but it was raining, and I barely noticed him. As I worked, the morning sun dried his clothes. When I went for lunch, he had not moved.

He stared down the street, almost unblinkingly. When I returned for the afternoon, I thought I saw tears in his eyes.

It wasn’t until the evening that I plucked up the courage to speak to him. A colleague advised me against it, when I confided my intentions in him. He said the man was probably a nutter escaped from the looney bin.

He hadn’t left the corner all day. I took a deep breath before walking up to him.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

“No,” he replied.

“Oh,” I said. I turned to go, but he asked a question, still staring down the street.

“Did you see this place before the town?”

“No I didn’t.”

“I was born here. There was a tree where that coffee shop is now. When a mother was going to give birth, she would wait inside a hollow in the tree. All of my brothers and sister were born in that tree.

“There used to be a rock behind that shop over there. We used to play games on it when we were children, and for target practice when we learnt to use the bow.

“There was a cave under that tower,” he said, pointing to the spire of the town hall that rose above the skyline. “When I came of age, to be a hunter, my father and my uncle took me into it, to add my palm to the generations of hunters who were my ancestors.”

He paused and fingered a set of faded and worn beads around his neck. I could see definite tears welling up in his eyes. He took a long deep breath, and I unwittingly did the same, enthralled by this man’s story.

“Just here, where we stand, there was a very rare bush. My daughter-in-law is in the hospital. She is dying and there is no cure for the disease. But the leaves of the bush that stood here, they would have cured her. My son will be without his wife; and my grandson without a mother; because no-one listened when I said they should not build here.

“My world was here, among the trees, animals and birds. I was given a house, but it is not my home. I have tried to live in your world, but it is difficult. Where I belong was destroyed when the bulldozers came.”

“I am so sorry,” I said, lamely.

The man didn’t answer. He stared down the street, lost in his past.

Niamh says...

Thank you for your comment. I think your suggestions sound a lot better than what I had originally written.

When I wrote this it was intended as a bit of a one off piece, but I'll see if I can think of anything to further it .

I'm glad my suggestions helped. :)

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:59 pm
Torpid says...

thats was a pretty cool story but you shouldnt have split up the dialogue in the beginning.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:45 pm
PlasticFork says...

I saw a Ray Mears' programme when he visited the Hadza. The Hadza are hunter-gatherers in Kenya/Tanzania. Their way of life is under threat from westernisation.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:11 pm
Jerikas says...

I still don't think you showed me this but I remember the idea.
Its good but a bit short and I don't get this line

'To the Hadza of East Africa.'

What is that about?

-S

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:27 pm
PlasticFork says...

When I wrote this it was intended as a bit of a one off piece, but I'll see if I can think of anything to further it :D .

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:55 am
Niamh wrote a review...

Wow. Not often do I come across a story that immediately sends chills down my spine. There is such meaning in this story, and the subject is definitely original. I think I like this so much because it shows such a beautiful culture as it expresses the environmental mistakes of the modern day. I honestly can't wait to read more of this; the dialogue is especially excellent. But I do think the beginning paragraphs are a little redundant, so if you don't mind, these are my suggestions:

Maybe something to this effect would read more easily:

One of my abiding memories is of the time when I worked in a music store. As I arrived for work one morning, an old man stood at the street corner, though through the rain I barely noticed him. As I worked, the morning sun dried his clothes, and when I went for lunch, he had not moved. He just stared down the street, almost unblinkingly, his black hair tinged with white and his shirt hanging akwardly from his shoulders. When he shifted his feet, they seemed cumbersome inside the shoes, as if made from blocks of wood.

It wasn’t until the evening that I plucked up the courage to speak to him. A colleague advised me against it when I confided my intentions to him. He said the man was probably a nutter escaped from the looney bin.

Other than that, the dialogue is beautiful. I hope this helped! Hurry and post more! I can't wait.

I am deeply disturbed by your ability to meow.
— Carina