A Boy In the Sand.

by PirateP

I wrote this for a competition that I never entered. Comments would be very much apreciated! :wink:

“Better start running”, he said with an evil grin patting the shrouded cage beside him. “You’ve got a thirty second head start before I let it out.” He added teasingly. The young boy squealed with fright as he stood in front of his father. He franticly scrambled backwards but tripped and fell back into the sand. The soft grains tickling his hands, spraying his rough grey tunic with sparkles of gold.

“Now, now don’t be silly,” the father chided softly, “I was only joking! There’s nothing in there yet!” The man lifted the cloth off the cage to reveal an empty fishing crate made out of rough driftwood. “Now go off and play in the rock pools and see if you can’t find anything, like a crab, to put in it. Just be back here by the time I’ve finished preparing the ol’ boat, Ok?”

The boy nodded and accepted the cage from his father. He scampered off towards the rock pools, sand spraying up around him, leaving small footprints behind him.

The boy stopped suddenly at the edge of the sea and, holding the cage carefully above his head, he waded in up to his knees. He stood there for a moment; the wind blowing his hair and the sea gently tugging at his feet. He loved the sea and it was all he knew. He, his mother and his father had always sailed the sea. Making for land only ever when they needed fresh supplies; his father trading fish and sea items for food.

But suddenly the boy’s mother died. She died of a terrible illness. She could possibly have been saved, except so far out to sea and so far from medical help she died. Yet the boy and his father still sailed the seas like they always had, the boy’s father saying, “Your mother’s forever sailing the sea now son, on the wings of an albatross.”

The young boy sighed at such sorrowful memories and continued on his way towards the rock pools. He clambered over rocks and shimmied carefully along a precarious looking overhang and, being a slightly free spirited and carefree boy, launched himself straight into a large body of water. He searched around. Looking under rocks and poking through sea weed. The little boy loved to dip his feet into the water and watch the small fish dart away from, to them, tidal waves!

The boy jumped from rock to rock, searching for anything interesting, when suddenly he slipped. He lost his balance and tumbled straight into a deep rock pool, cutting his hands on the many barnacles. He would have been fine about it, being an adventurous boy and used to scratches. But he dropped his crate and it shattered into tiny fragments.

He looked around in despair looking for something to fix it with; he realised it was impossible and, holding back tears, started to sullenly trudge back towards his father’s boat; nursing his cut hands.

***

The waves crashed against the side of the boat, sending white froth cascading up into the air. The young boy and his father were out at sea, in the middle of a raging tempest. They’d been in many storms before and normally felt quite safe in one. But never one quite as fierce as this!

The raucous roar of the winds and the constant pummelling of the waves proved too much for the youth’s nerves and he dived under a net like a startled rabbit.

The boy’s father was desperately trying to steady the boat but his efforts were to no avail as the waves constantly buffeted the boat with enormous force.

As one particularly large wave slammed into the boat; the father fell from the mast and landed on his arm, on the railing, breaking it. He cried out in agony. He tried to pull himself up, but failed. He called out to his son... but the boy wouldn’t answer from fright.

Just then a ferocious roar was emitted from the sea. A great torrent of water suddenly emerged from the ocean and rose above and beyond the boat growing and growing in size and breadth. It rose up so high until the father could hardly believe what he was seeing! He gasped as it slowly descended, like a skyscraper of water falling slowly down on an ant below.

The boat was thrown into a shadow darker than the storm clouds. The rain was cut out as the wall of water started to curve down like the letter “n”.

All of a sudden the silent serenity that came with being in the eye of the storm was broken with and almighty flash of lightning and the crack of thunder. The wave plunged down with the speed of a swooping eagle and the sharpness of a blade and obliterated the tiny boat as if it were not there.

The young boy and his father had little time to even shout let alone to get off the boat. They were swatted like flies before the wrath of the sea; the storm raging above them.

***

From the diaries of a young boy...

Where am I? Am I alive? What happened...? WHERE’S FATHER?

I woke with a start to find three heads leaning over me. I would have screamed had it not been for the pounding in my head and the fact that my vision was so blurred that I couldn’t see a thing. Two of the heads above me belonged to two young women, one with long blond locks and the other with short dark curls. The one with blonde hair seemed to be making an awfully great fuss and her long hair was tickling my face as she was gesticulating in a frenzied manner as she spoke to the third person, a man, who was a doctor and who had a very long nose and greasy hair. He was holding a strange metal device (That I now know was called a stethoscope.) and he was pressing it against my chest. It was very cold.

The blonde one (who I learnt was called Bessy.) was still making a very fuss and the women with dark hair (who I also learnt was called Victoria.) spoke sharply in a very cultured voice and commanded her to be silent so that the doctor (Dr. Marley.) could concentrate.

Bessy held her tongue, curtsied and apologised.

FATHER! Then suddenly all came back to me! In a stampede of memory I remembered it, the storm, and the boat and then... FATHER! I strained to sit up but Victoria shook her head deprecatingly at me. Then Dr. Marley held a firm hand on my shoulder and expressed that I should “Rest,” and “Sit back down.” I obliged. But at once blurted out: “Where is my father? Where is he, is he all right?” I seem to remember, from the help of Bessy, that I was still half delirious at this stage. Bessy said that I sounded like one of the raving mad drunkards, outside the grounds, at the roadside inn. Got to go! Victoria’s calling me to do the dishes! Bessy said it didn’t matter if I finish this diary another time...

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 pm
lil-mizzkitty1 says...

hi

love the story. great setting. i almost felt as if i was there. the description was immaculate.it

is very sad that the boy's mum and dad die in tragic circumstances. love the flashbacks. i

want to see more of them.

bye

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 am
wordartisan wrote a review...

I really have no criticism for your story, I am just till kind of dazed, the story really hit home because of some experiences, and memories, (I never have been in the eye of a storm). I felt like i was there, you gave such good imagery that iI could feel the stinging scrapes on my hands from the barnacles. The only objection that I have is that the boy seems to happy considering that his mother died. you make it sound like she just died because the boy's memories are so vivid. If you either explain a little more, or make the boy not remember as much it might be a little more realistic. I also think that you need to put more emphasis on the the part where it switches to the diary form. It can get a little confusing at times, especially when it changes from a third person view to a first person. Other than that I think that it is an amazing story. I really want to know what happens next! Really badly!!!! :smt043

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 am
aeroman wrote a review...

I wouldn't use the word "evil." It's very basic, not descriptive. Too generic in my opinion.

Change to: "...thirty second head start before I let it out," he added teasingly.

Change to: The young boy squealed with fright, standing in front of his father.

Spelling: franticly = frantically

Change to: The soft grains tickled his hands, spraying his rough grey tunic with sparkles of gold.

Get rid of exclamation points.

Change to: made of rough driftwood.

Get rid of "ol". You haven't really established any regional dialects yet, and so it feels out of place.

Get rid of him in "leaving small footprints behind him."

Improper use of semi-colon in the second sentence. The clause after the semi-colon is subordinate and not independent. Similar grammar mistakes throughout the paragraph. I'd recommend buying the book The Elements of Style or looking it up for free on the internet so you can have a better knowledge of grammar and understand how to use punctuation correctly.

Change to: "...like they always had. The boy's father would say, "Your mother's..."

I read the rest...similar grammar mistakes. You really just need to proofread it.

As far as the story goes, it is generic... the plot is cliche and the flow is very random. The beginning was kind of interesting because I was kind of like what the heck is this guy going to sick on this boy. But then it just got dull. The boy was looking around for crustaceans and broke the crate; I was bored. Then, out of the blue! Him and his father are in a horrible storm, then a journal entry, then him waking up somewhere with three people over him.

Anyway, a lot of editing to do grammar wise. And I would do a lot of rethinking about the overall plot and organization of the narrative.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:05 am
mikepyro wrote a review...

I thought the sudden change to the boy's diary wa s abit rough and it really didn't build much. I enjoyed the idea of the boy as a more mysterious character, so it kind of ruined the feel.

That said, I will say the piece is very good, has some great emotion and a rather touching side. I wish you would have entered the piece into the contest, I believe you would have done well.

Yes, try and add in a few more literary structures to spice the work up, the lines sometimes read as bullet points, like they're being counted off.

This is in no way a negative view, I'm just throwing out what you could improve upon. I loved the first part of the story with the boy, especially as he chases after his father only to cut his hands. You pervey a genuine sense of depth.

Good work overall, and keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more, man

Mike.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:49 pm
Kazu wrote a review...

...scrambled backwards but tripped and fell back into the sand.
The second 'back' in that sentence should probably be replaced with something different. Because of the 'backwards' beforehand, it makes it seem like you're repeating yourself.

The soft grains tickling his hands, spraying his rough grey tunic with sparkles of gold.
Lovely comparison! But I think that 'tickling' should be 'tickled'. For grammar's sake.

...launched himself straight into a large body of water. He searched around.
Care to tell me a little more about how he hit the water? The transitions between these sentences almost make it unclear as to whether or not he is underwater.

small fish dart away from, to them, tidal waves!
Having trouble making sense of this. Might be my fault for not reading it correctly.

The boy jumped from rock to rock...
Wasn't he underwater moments before?

FATHER! Then suddenly all came back to me!
I think you might've meant 'suddenly it all'.

General comments:
It was a lovely story, but you mainly just used adjectives and verbs to tell me what happened. Learn to use metaphors, similes, personification, and any other literary devices so that you can start showing me instead. Then it will take your story from lovely up to marvelous.

Also be careful with your use of commas. I've noticed some places you needed one and didn't have one, where other places you did the opposite.

Some things were also a little hard to understand, such as the transitions between each of the three segments. Again, this may just be my fault for misreading things, but as an author it is also your job to make sure misunderstandings are kept to a minimum.

Otherwise, great story. Keep up the good work!

~_Kazu

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data