What Was I Thinking Again?

by PerforatedxHearts

“The good times,” we say. “Ah, those memories, those memories from childhood that still keep us alive. What wonderful memories.”

Pity the person who lost theirs.

“Oh, well,” we shrug. “Too bad for him. But, ah, our memories!”

We are such stupid, self-absorbed, conceited bastards. We have no idea, no such idea of what lost memories are. No, we cannot grasp the time consumed, how our pathetic little selves lived. No, we indeed do not understand how agonizing it must be to have lived but to have lost merely borrowed time, to slowly lose your grasp in reality. To have waded and flailed and cried your way through seventy-odd years, only to waste away without remembrance of exactly what you waded and flailed and cried for.

Alzheimer’s does tend to bring your life to a halt.

And you do tend to despair when you know, with a sinking heart and faltering fingers, that at the end of this page you might look back and wonder exactly what you were thinking, aside from the fact that you really had no idea what was running through your mind at the moment. And if you were ‘lucky’, maybe you’d realize that there might not have been a certain moment that you were thinking about such things at all. Then, later, maybe you’d wrapped your arms around your waist, bowed your head, then started, again, to rewrite whatever was on your mind, to ensure the cycle goes around, and around, and around again. Never ending, never halting once, always starting and ending the same way- aimless. Infinite. Hopeless.

Or maybe, occasionally, a little innocent child would waddle up to you, tug on your pants, even ask in that pure voice, “Granddaddy, will you play with me?”

Ah, the heart wrenching despair, or the blankness, or the confused expression that twists your lips in perplexity. “What?” you say. “Who…who are you?”

Their eyes would widen. “I’m Carrie. I’m your grand daughter. Remember me?” Irises would moisten, a pool of tears maybe gathered together, threatening to slip past cheeks, past lips, and finally dangling from their chins only to break past the grasps of infinity and splatter down on your hand.

“I’m sorry,” you’d shake your head politely. “I don’t know you. Not at all.”

It’s the hopelessness that your loved ones feel, not just the loss of memories and names and faces that haunt you day by day, that hinder you from living on any more time anymore. It’s the back of their heads that you see, not their faces, because to them you are already “gone”, there is no “plan” for you anymore, you are a “lost cause.”

The sad thing is, you have not the slightest idea of what they are talking about. You close your eyes, shaking your head with a smile that lingers on your lips from some mysterious and hidden joke, and when you open your eyes again you stare puzzledly at the half-filled page.

“What was I thinking again?”

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:37 am
JC wrote a review...

I agree with Magicman, the last line was almost too...funny for the tone set earlier. For some reason, the part where the girl talks to him and he doesn't know who she is didn't effect me much...it was just there. The whole thing was kind-of like that to me. Just there. Try adding more feeling to everything, this is just a listing of description.

Otherwise, good work, Keep it up!
-JC

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:29 am

Ahh. Okay. I wanted "no" as a repitition to make a point, but...hehe.

Thanks, you two!

Cassandra wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this. Your style was amazing plus you had the cynical voice going as well. I think this was the perfect length for this type of piece: longer and it would have gotten monotonous, shorter and we wouldn't have gotten the big picture. You did a superb job at capturing the scene, and I liked the way you tied the ending in.

My only comment would to be careful of too much repetition. I know that most of the time you did it on purpose, but some places I noticed the repetition and thought it was too much, like here:

No, we cannot grasp the time consumed, how our pathetic little selves lived. No, we indeed do not understand how agonizing it must be to have lived but to have lost merely borrowed time, to slowly lose your grasp in reality.

What I mean is, I noticed the repetition of "no".

Anywho, lovely work, and thanks for the read! :D

Black Ghost wrote a review...

This was sad...in a good way. Your description was pretty top notch, and although it was short, I think you got your point across about the horrors of the sickness. Not too much improvement is needed, but I feel the end is a little out of place. The rest of the piece before it seemed so serious and sorrowful, but the last line seemed almost comical in my opinion. I think you should either change it, or just delete it all together and let it end on the paragraph before. Now please get a second opinion before you follow my advice, but I'm just telling you what I might do.

Great job overall, though.

-Tony

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken