z

Young Writers Society



Lone Builder

by Penlorde


I have built walls. 

Walls made of brick and stone. According to the books and the fairytales these walls cannot fall down. They guard the heart of my home. They guard me. These walls hide me from the view of the condescending minds that walk outside my doors. 

I have built a chimney.

Through here I vent out my frustrations, my emotions, and my fears. All things that intoxicate me and bleed me dry. I cry out all the built up tension in my chest and give it a new home. I discard the things I know and replace it with the things I wish to know. I release into the atmosphere all of my wasteful thoughts and ideas. And if you run your fingers through you'd find fragments and ash of things that could be, all the things that would never be. 

I have built a dining hall.

Here, I eat. I inhale the minimum nutrients required to live so that my body would not gain the pleasure of self-worth. I try to control the way my body looks so that if ever I had visitors, they'd be pleased to see me. I am a beautiful host. Or so I say to the stuff toys and tea cups I place out in the afternoons. I swear the reason no one comes to see me, is because I have a dysfunctional doorbell that fails to tell me that they're here. 

I have built an attic.

It smells of old spice and dust. Nooks and crannies untouched for years. Here I store away the things I think I'll need or the things I'm not ready to let go of. Ex-boyfriends beside photographs of family once hung on my old bedroom wall. Nostalgia stains the wallpaper but not enough for you to want to stick around. Maybe because a happy place is too far away. 

I have built a bedroom. 

In there I am safe. My secrets, my bones, and I, we are safe. No one intrudes, and no one disrupts. It's just me and the sound of my own voice. Sometimes its gets so quiet, I can hear my brain tick, the wheels all falling into place. In those times I feel so high, a state that only be described as mania. Feeling as if I can conquer the world. Then my head gets heavy, and my feet ache, and I lie down to let the darkness engulf me. 

I have built a home.

Sometimes I feel as if it's far too big for just me. I get tired keeping things clean for no one to see. The house is too empty to feel like it's alive. Yet when I walk, the stairs creak and the floorboards squeak as if it has a voice. It demands to heard, to be loved, and to be cared for. And I...  

I have built it all myself.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 327
Reviews: 30

Donate
Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:12 pm
Ehtaniel wrote a review...



It's an interesting text with a kind of poetic sound.
You use the image of a house to try to put something else over it and the way you do it, piece by piece is good.
My only, brief, remark will be on some of the words choosen here and there.
"I inhale the minimum nutrients required to live so that my body would not gain the pleasure of self-worth." Here, I find it a bit anti-poetic (if I may say) the 'minimum nutrients' part, it makes it suddenly look like a more scientific rather than poetic way.
"I discard the things I know and replace it with the things I wish to know." Using twice the verb 'to know' in the same sentence seems to kill a bit the effect. Perhaps using once 'to know' and once another one would make it sounds better.
Generally speaking, I think you can improve it a bit by just polishing a couple of sentences. You've already good material, I think you can make a really good one with just a bit of improvement. :-)




User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:15 am
Holysocks wrote a review...



Hello there! ( The avvie made me think you were Timmy at first! XD )

This is a lovely piece; you seem to have said everything you intended to say - and by that I mean nothing about it feels hollow or underdeveloped. It was quite poetic even, and I can see why you placed this in the 'other' category, rather then short story or poetry as it doesn't seem to fit in either.

The only thing I feel kind of off about when I read this, is that while I'm reading this I'm wondering: what are they trying to say. In a sense, I guess that can be a good thing, but in this case, I feel like maybe this work has a lack of purpose- I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just wondering what inspired you to write this, and what are you trying to say here?

Sure, we have a nice story about someone that built a house ( or is it more then that? Is it something else? )... but why? Why did they build the house? Why does he feel it's important to say he built the house. I mean, sure, if I built a house I'm sure I'd do a bit of bragging myself! But it would make it more interesting perhaps if their was a story behind the building of it.

And yet at the same time, while reading this I do feel like they're telling some other story.

I'm very confused and intrigued now. This is a hard work to review! But maybe you'll get something out of that. >.<

Awesome job with the flow, and such! Keep it up!

-Socks




Penlorde says...


Hi >.< Thank you for the review! As for this piece, I was trying to use the house as a metaphor for a place where you belong. Exploring the idea of your exterior personality and emotional relationships between the things that hold you together. A house is something that protects you from the outside world, it is as raw as you get because it's truly you. I don't know, I guess I didn't express this so well. Haha Im new to this whole deal but THANK YOU for the comment!



Holysocks says...


I think you actually probably did do a good job of potting that, but I just was having trouble grasping it tonight. I'm going to hopefully come back and read it tomorrow and see if I get it then. XD



Holysocks says...


Please excuse my interesting choice of words in my last reply. I'm dealing with auto correct. x.x



Penlorde says...


Haha :D please do!



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 620
Reviews: 11

Donate
Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:42 pm
nightflyer wrote a review...



I really love this piece. It has a special feel that makes you think when you're done with it. There were a few parts that didn't quite flow, or make sense. "I cry out all the built up tension in my chest and give it a new home." It just doesn't flow correctly. Instead of cry out you could try "let out" or "give up." Just an idea. Over all really nice piece.





I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae