z

Young Writers Society



He Comes Before Night: Chapter Three

by Passion


Chapter Three

Mackenzie stared long and hard at Dorine trying to challenge her into looking away anything that he could do to try and get a sign that she’s lying. But no sign came. She didn’t look away. And sadly Mackenzie realized that she was being honest. She only looked at him as an acquaintance.

Shaking his head Mackenzie stood up and said. “If you don’t love me then kiss me. If you can kiss me without feeling anything then I’ll believe you.”

“No!” Dorine said dismayed at what he said. “I don’t know what kind of logic that is but it sure isn’t going to work on me. I will not kiss you for such a stupid reason as that.”

“I want proof.” Mackenzie said.

“Proof, is that what this is about? You want proof? I will tell you this if you try to kiss me I will hurt you. Do you understand?” Dorine asked.

“Yes.” Mackenzie said with a sly smile. He hasn’t given up yet. “But I don’t know how long I can say that I understand you because I might just end up taking you myself.”

His arrogance matched hers so much and yet not at all. They stared at each other just waiting to see what would happen next. Then slowly they both started blushing, because of what he said. How could he be so bold in one day to confess his love and attraction to her and his plan to take her later on? How could anyone be as bold as that? Is that even possible? Is it? It probably is possible, no one knows. Not Dorine and not Mackenzie.

They were both as red as the ripest tomato in a vegetable patch. And it was all thanks to what Mackenzie said because everything he said he was gonna do he always did. No exceptions.

How could Dorine stand up to that? With all that bronze in him and that boldness, how would she be able to resist it? How could he just stay there and be that? How? Dorine doesn’t even know and neither did he. Because boldness like that in their day wasn’t heard of. Especially from their age group of adults, no one spoke with that much boldness, no one.

“You don’t mean that.” Dorine whispered. “You don’t mean that or even say that.”

“I mean that with 100 percent honesty.” Mackenzie said.

“And that’s what I’m afraid of.” Dorine said. “It's because you’re like me, way too much like me. You’re overly honest and you mean what you say no matter whom or how people think.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.” Mackenzie said.

“That is.” Dorine said. “It's because you’re overly honest around me.”

“What?” Mackenzie asked knowing that what she said was true. “Dorine, are you afraid of me?”

“No . . .” Dorine said. “It's just what you do to me, only your effect on me. That's what I'm afraid of, but not you. It's never been you.

“I don’t understand.” Mackenzie said.

“It’s not right you see. Me loving you or even liking you, it's not right. Not after what you did to James. It’s not right.” Dorine said.

“Maybe it’s not. But then again maybe it is.” Mackenzie said.

“No.” Dorine said. “It’s not.”

And with that Dorine got up and went to her side of the dungeon. Not saying anything for the rest of the night, because she doesn’t want to hear his voice. The voice that she loves so much, how it flows and fills up spaces, how it's so smooth and relaxing. Or look at his face. The face that looks so caring. Or look into his eyes. The eyes that show you his soul, that show you everything that his mouth cannot. She can’t look at him and see that. There is no doubt that Dorine will end up loving him if she does, the one thing that she fears doing, she might just do that if she keeps looking at him.

“Dorine,” Mackenzie whispered. “I’m going to sleep and when I wake up I was wondering if we could talk.”

“I . . . I don’t know.” Dorine said. “I’m going to be looking for a way out after this night. I won’t have a baby in a dungeon.”

“Please.” Mackenzie said. “After that you never have to listen to me again.”

“Okay.” Dorine said. “Now I’m going to sleep now. I have a long day of work tomorrow. I’ll find a way out. I promise you that.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 174 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1520
Reviews: 28

Donate
Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:27 pm
Passion says...



Thank you...I'll look into that.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 8

Donate
Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:31 pm
lollipop89281 wrote a review...



I thought this was good. There was a part at the top that I mainly noticed.

Challenging her to look away,anything....

I hope the quote things work. All you need is a comma, and it'll sound alot
better.

Can't WAIT for Chapter 4!!
-Lollipop





In the past I would definitely say who you would find inside. Not so much today. Place is bonkers …. As is everywhere
— Greg Specter