z

Young Writers Society



He Comes Before Night - Chapter Two (edited)

by Passion


Chapter Two

Dorine couldn’t believe herself. Sitting in his arms kissing him, what on earth is she doing? If her mother saw her she would have certainly threw her out. She’s disgracing her family with her lewd actions. Kissing a man that’s already betrothed to another, what is going on in her mind at the moment? What is the right in that? But he knew it. And she knew it. So then why didn’t they stop themselves? If they don’t stop themselves the kissing will go farther. But they don’t care. Mackenzie wants this because he loves her truly. Why does Dorine want this? Because deep down in her heart she knows that there’s something there for Mackenzie and because she knows that he won’t hurt her the way James did.

“Mackenzie . . .” Dorine mumbled against his mouth. “We can’t do this.”

But Mackenzie didn’t want to let her go. He wanted her to stay in his arms and kiss him forever. He wanted her to love him the way that he loved her. But she couldn’t do that yet.

“Mackenzie please, you have to let me go . . .” Dorine mumbled, “You have to. Don’t you understand that?”

“No.” Mackenzie said. “I won’t do it. I won’t let you go.”

Dorine knew what was happening. She knew what he was doing. What he was going to do. What he planned on doing. And none of that scared her. And her not being afraid is what frightened her the most. That she wasn’t afraid of him. That’s what she thought was right for her, the being afraid of him.

“I . . . I can’t.” Dorine said pulling away from him.

“Yes you can.” Mackenzie said.

“No, you don’t understand. I really can’t.” Dorine said insistently while trying to pull away from him.

“Why can't you? Mackenzie asked refusing to let her go. “Why can’t you do this?”

“Because, Mackenzie . . . I'm pregnant.” Dorine said.

“What?” Mackenzie asked so shocked by her statement. “You’re pregnant?”

“Yes.” Dorine said standing up when she felt his grip loosen. “Yes.”

A silence fit for death passed by while she was standing there looking at him. Waiting to see his reaction, watching to see him explode, hoping he wouldn't hurt her, she didn’t want to speak. She didn’t want to do anything. Because she knew that if she did, then certainly she would say the wrong thing again.

“You’re not lying?” Mackenzie asked more like begged her to say no in a questionable way.

“I may be emotional and I do stretch the truth when I need to, but I am no liar.” Dorine said.

“You can’t be.” Mackenzie said. “You said that James went inside you once. So you can’t be.”

“Mother always said wait until you’re married because it only takes once to start a family.” Dorine said.

“No.” Mackenzie said shaking his head. “No that can’t be, he wouldn’t have. James isn’t that stupid. He wouldn’t have gotten you pregnant.”

“What are you saying?” Dorine asked.

“Dorine you cannot be-” Mackenzie started.

“I don’t understand what you’re saying.” Dorine said. “I can’t be pregnant and why not? Is there a rule that says I can’t be?”

“Dorine,” Mackenzie said pleading with her, “will you listen to me. James told me he was gonna give you to me. And . . .”

“Give me to you?” Dorine asked. “James was gonna give me to you? That’s a lie. James would never do that.”

“Yes he would. He wanted Melissa and I wanted you. In the end I got what I wanted but he got only death.” Mackenzie said.

Now that is something that no one should have to deal with. Knowing that the person that you love doesn’t want you, and knowing that the person that got her pregnant is the person that you thought you knew but ended up you didn’t. Is it fair to Mackenzie that he’s stuck in the middle when the woman that he loves is still in love with his friend that’s deceased? No, it most certainly is not fair. But there’s nothing that he can do now is there? No there isn’t, simply because the fact that she’s in love with someone else is beyond his power. Because he cannot control her heart and he can’t stop her from loving someone else. Even if the person that she loves isn’t among the living anymore, how can he bear it? How would you bear it if it was you?

“Mackenzie . . .” Dorine started. “I would really appreciate it if you wouldn’t try anything anymore, because I don’t want this to intervene with my pregnancy.”

“Not even after what he’s done. You still continue to hang on to him?” Mackenzie asks.

“How do I know if that’s true? You could be filling my mind with lies so that I can fall in love with you and not love James anymore and try to lose my baby so that way you can start a family with me. How do I know you didn’t plan on me getting kidnapped and thrown in here with you so that way you could try to get me to fall in love with you? How do I know that Mackenzie, how do I know that this wasn't part of your grand plan of confusion?” Dorine paused for a moment and then said. “I don’t.”

“You do.” Mackenzie said. “You know that because you trust me. I mean if you didn’t trust me would you have come close to me or kissed me or let me hug you? Would you have even spoken to me about such an intimate subject such as this?”

“You and I both know the answers to those questions.” Dorine said. “I don’t trust you. I just know that my James did. And if you want to be here and not tell me how to get out of this dungeon then that’s up to you, but believe me when I say this, I will find a way out of here. I’m no criminal so I don’t deserve to be here. I don’t know why you think I’m here for you or that I’m here to get closer to you but I’m not.”

“Aren’t you?” Mackenzie said. “I mean you do love to be around me don’t you?”

“I enjoy the educated talks we have but nothing more.” Dorine said.

“I don’t believe you.” Mackenzie said.

“I don’t care that you don’t believe me?” Dorine said.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 222 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
842 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 842

Donate
Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:35 am
ashleylee wrote a review...



Because deep down in her heart she knows that there’s something there for Mackenzie and because she knows that he won’t hurt her the way James did.


Why? What did James do? Because he died? Or because he stole her virtue? Be specific.

“You’re not lying?” Mackenzie asked more like begged her to say no in a questionable way.


This is awkwardly said. Maybe try: Mackenzie asked, be he sounding more like pleading her to say no.

“It is isn’t it? You’re accusing me of being weak. We’ll here’s something for you, you bastard. I NEVER was weak enough to fall into someone’s arms while betrothed to another. You’re the weak one. Swooning over me. Not being able to keep your own wiles to yourself. I know that I’m not the model person and yes I admit to kissing you and yes I admit to feeling something for you. But I can assure you Mackenzie that I never wanted to really be with you. Never. Especially since you’re betrothed to someone of my acquaintance.” Dorine said in a fury of 10 thousand women. “I’m not like you. And I never will be.”


First of all, her emotions are all over the place. One minute, she's loving this guy, and the next she's pissed at him. Make sure to keep consistant. Also, you should always write out numbers, like ten there.

Now that is something that no one should have to deal with. Knowing that the person that you love doesn’t want you, and knowing that the person that got her pregnant is the person that you thought you knew but ended up you didn’t.


Huh? I think I know what you are saying here, but the way you phrase it makes it super confusing. I suggest a rewrite of this. Also, the sentences about James wanting Melissa and all that jazz, I would go into more detail there. Just so the reader understnads.

How would you bear it if it was you?


Don't ask the reader questions. It just ruins the flow and makes it more confusing.

“Do I care that you don’t believe me?” Dorine said.


I don't like this ending statement. I feel like you left the reader at a really odd spot. Try to end a smoother transition.

~ ~ ~

Well, most of my comments from the last chapter carry over to here. You need to work on your POV's and your storytelling skills. You seem like you have a plot already set out and ready to go. You just have to practive putting it into words. Also, slowing it down. I feel like I am missing out in a lot of your character's past lives. Maybe do some flashbacking in there and stuff, because right now, I know nothing about James or Melissa except for what your characters say about them.

My advise would be to read all three of your installments you have posted on her out loud to yourself and really concentrate on protraying this how you want to. I think you have a good start. You just need to work on displaying it, you know?

Hopefully this doesn't come across as harsh. I'm not trying to be and I'm really trying to help.

Good luck :D





Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain