Houses of Mirrors

by PapaSupremacy

There once were two houses made of mirrors.

The first house was inhabited by a girl as delicate as the glass she lived in. She had constructed this home herself. Every wall, each floor and ceiling, all the furniture, even her bed was made of these mirrors. She lived and breathed in a sharp, reflective prison. Each time she shifted, the mirrors would cut her ever so slightly. Continuous thin cuts against a mind as fragile as the glass she lived around.

The mirrors allowed her the sight of God, but did not grant her His compassion. She saw deep into every thin cut, into every flaw, into every imperfection she had collected. The mirrors, taking the shape of her consciousness, threw back at her all that she wanted to give up. She could not ignore herself in this house of mirrors. The shadows of her mind bounced along her house and her psyche, endlessly reflected and redoubled upon.

The house was not always a house of mirrors. The house used to be quite beautiful. Paintings of her, friends, and family, scenes of mountains and rivers, treasured memories pinned up to adorn the walls, all things designed to make her happy.

One day she hung up a mirror. Not a large one, once barely able to fit her face. She was beautiful and was completely justified in such an action. It is good to be reminded of one's worth.

One imperfection later, the mirror grew. What other parts of me are imperfect like this? she wondered. Is it more than I believed? So she bought a full-body mirror. And as the mirrors grew, so did the perceived imperfections.

The mirrors soon covered the house. They grew, almost like a virus, fed by her ever-fracturing psyche. All she could see were flaws, defects, inadequacies, consuming her entire being. As long as the mirrors existed, she would continue to be just as broken as her mind. She would never be good enough.

The second house of mirrors was exactly the same as the first. Same sharp edges, same reflective surfaces, same prison. He built it from the ground up, same as the woman of the first house. Unlike her though, he was not dismayed by each cut he received. He gazed into the mirrors so much, he didn't notice his blood lining their edges. His house, in his eyed, was the best possible place to be. For the one image in the entire house was him.

His house, similar to hers, was not originally made of mirrors. Decorations lined his walls as well. He had comfortable furniture and gaming systems to play with his friends and family. Darling pictures of them were put up at all sides, so he could always be reminded of what was truly important.

One picture was taken down and the same simple facial mirror was installed. Unlike the woman, he found no imperfections. They were certainly there, but the mind makes itself blind. All he found was success. All he saw was beauty.

Why have these other decorations when I am more wondrous then them all? he wondered. Should I take them down?

Take them down he did. The pictures of his friends, family, all his loved ones, in the trash, replaced by mirrors apt to reflect his perceived flawless being. All the gaming systems removed, the furniture replaced with the glass, the decorations destroyed. He insisted to his friends that they should just more joy in being in his presence than any other thing. To his surprise, they soon stopped coming.

The mirrors allowed him the eyes of God but the pride of Satan. Each thought cast into his glass psyche reflected back on himself. He saw every angle of himself. It was all he saw. His only decorations were the reflected images of himself.

The only God he worshipped was the beauty of his own being.

Two houses of mirrors, two same houses of self-reflective minds. Two people lived in them, a trap of their own design. The solution to their traps?

A rock. 

Attention: You have a saved draft of a comment to this work. Click here to load it.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:56 am
Zeno wrote a review...

Hi! I'm here to leave a review.

What a masterpiece! This is an amazing story/metaphor about self-obsession and vanity. The plot was well written, and the imageries used were perfect for conveying the idea of being trapped in one's own reflection, and how it can lead to self-destructive behavior. It was original and brilliant.

What stood out to me the most was the ending. The simple yet thought-provoking solution of a rock really gave me chills. The rock represents something solid and real. It suggested that the only way to for the characters to escape their tragedy is to break their fantasy world with a cold, disgusting rock. This hit very close to home. Sometimes, the only way for us to improve is to face a disaster.

Overall, a very insightful piece that really deserves some recognition. Well done!

Thanks for the review! :D

Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:45 am
Overwatchful wrote a review...

Hey, Overwatchful here to drop a review on this!

This was an amazing read! It is very well written, and carries a great message. Your writing is both literal and metaphorical, and it results in an interesting parallel that makes it's impact all the more impressive! You should be very proud.

Now on to the details. There's only a couple of things that need some editing, but I'll say what I did find, and take it how you will.

Each time she shifted, the mirrors would cut her ever so slightly. Continuous thin cuts against a mind as fragile as the glass she lived around.

Again, it's up to you, but I think that in the interest of conciseness, maybe take out the "ever so slightly" part, and just the the sentence as just "cut her." Or "cut her slightly." The way it is feels repetitive, but still poetic, so this is more a stylistic choice than anything else.

His house, in his eyed,

Should be "eyes," here.

I also really love the two lines
The mirrors allowed her the sight of God, but did not grant her His compassion.

The mirrors allowed him the eyes of God but the pride of Satan.

They really strike home just how these two people view themselves.

Anyway, once again, great job on this, and I look forward to reading your future works! Welcome to YWS!

Overwatchful

Thanks for the review!! I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks for the welcome as well! :)

First Impression: This was a really intriguing piece here. It tells you a somewhat familiar tale but it does so through these metaphors that I personally have never seen before and as a result we get a look at this very powerful array of emotions here that come across in this different light to how they normally would that make things much more powerful.

Well this is quite the start there. We're painting some images I've never quite seen used before in quite this way and its really interesting. We seem to be addressing some really powerful ideas here and so far I am loving the direction that this appears to be headed in here. It seems set to be quite intriguing.

OOooh well this is diving in even deeper here into some yet more complicated emotions and I am all for it here. You're really going for it here with these comparisons and you get a startingly clear picture of the emotions at play here. The story this whole thing tells of this house and its history is a powerful touch too.

Ooooh well this is building even more layers here. Suddenly the house seems less of an actual house and actually part of the more abstract side of things that at least from what I can understand appear to revolve around this person's mind and the thoughts that may be found within said mind.

Oh wow this is definitely hitting on some powerful points there with the mirrors. I can see that this certainly is meant to at least represent the person itself if not just the mind here and now the addition here of another person is really making that quite clear here and adding to the general power of that comparison.

Ooooh well this is interesting. We have a break in the flow from an earlier point and it seems this person is headed down a different path. From the looks of things its still a destructive one that will not have a great ending, but it stands out here it how its almost the polar opposite that we're working with.

A rock.

Well it looks like what we end up with is the story of a couple here, neither of whom ends up being particularly supportive or helpful to the other and only causes all manner of horrors there. It does seem however that the woman is currently suffering more than the other one whose just aloof at the moment. Its a powerful duality here.

Overall: Overall a really interesting take here. It makes for quite the tale I think. It certainly makes you want to read a couple of times here just to capture all of the hidden meaning within and it still leaves you with so much to think about at the end. A very intriguing piece in the end.

Kate

Thanks for the review! I really appreciated it! :D

"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi