z

Young Writers Society


12+

More Than What it Seems. Chapter 1

by PancakeandWaffle


I screamed in surprise as the bullet grazed my arm, I was in relief for a moment but it was short lived. The next projectile came with a ferocity as it shot through the air and into my shoulder, it almost seemed to go in slow motion. A screech of agonizing pain left my lips as tears sprung from my eyes and trickled down my cheeks, similar to the red liquid on my now pierced arm. I heard blurred voices in background call my name, the criminal stiffened, a bullet aimed in my direction, then they fled. This would be the start of a long rivalry between my nemesis, my sworn enemy. I fell to the ground, all went black.

   I sat in my office chair, contemplating what to do with my life, and this unusual free time. You see I'm a P.I. Private Eye, as cheesy and cliché as it sounds. My work revolves around, or at least used to revolve round, cases full of criminals and mysteries galore! Now that that new black haired kid with the big eyes moved into the business though, I was sunk at thirty-six years old, absolutely pathetic.

 My fingers travelled under the collar of my gray cotton shirt to my shoulder where that memory, that faded scar lay that I ran my digits across. It was an odd habit really, but it reminded me of the good old days. With all the adrenalin and the constant anxiety that death could be lurking around any corner. You miss that life style after awhile, as crazy as it sounds. It's like a drug, it feels so exciting but yet it's deadly and once you've had a little taste, you can't get enough. I was about to pick up the phone and call my mother to see if our weekly Taco Tuesday was still on, when the phone rang out in its shrill way. This would be the call that changed my perspective on life, and would eventually lead to demise.

Pancake~   


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4103 Reviews


Points: 254288
Reviews: 4103

Donate
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:25 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Okayyy, this was a really cool first chapter here, it certainly manages to tick pretty much all the boxes that you expect from one of these and I'm definitely very intrigued by this stories premise. Mysteries like this are one of my favorite things to read about.

Anyway let's get right to it,

I screamed in surprise as the bullet grazed my arm, I was in relief for a moment but it was short lived. The next projectile came with a ferocity as it shot through the air and into my shoulder, it almost seemed to go in slow motion. A screech of agonizing pain left my lips as tears sprung from my eyes and trickled down my cheeks, similar to the red liquid on my now pierced arm. I heard blurred voices in background call my name, the criminal stiffened, a bullet aimed in my direction, then they fled. This would be the start of a long rivalry between my nemesis, my sworn enemy. I fell to the ground, all went black.


Well judging by the italics I'm assuming this is some form of flashback or nightmare here to get things started...and well, it certainly does make for quite an epic start there...you've certainly got something that'll get a reader's attention right off the bat with that description of the feeling of being shot at, if anyone's reading this half asleep, that'll certainly wake you up. And the way this memory/ nightmare is described certainly rings pretty true with how the adrenaline and shock of a situation like this would make you feel. And the description of how its the start of a rivalry is certainly another point that makes this a pretty awesome way to start off a story.

I sat in my office chair, contemplating what to do with my life, and this unusual free time. You see I'm a P.I. Private Eye, as cheesy and cliché as it sounds. My work revolves around, or at least used to revolve round, cases full of criminals and mysteries galore! Now that that new black haired kid with the big eyes moved into the business though, I was sunk at thirty-six years old, absolutely pathetic.


Oh dear, well that's a fun but also a little sad introduction to our main character there, certainly seems like a person that would be quite a cool character, and this is a great little introduction to just give the reader a basic rundown of who they are and what they do, but the way that it ends, you can tell this person is going through some potentially rather tough times and this other person might just actually be some form of nemesis which connects beautifully to that earlier part to introduce lots of mystery. I do wonder why that part is not acknowledged at all though. The transition is a bit awkward without it being acknowledged as a memory or dream or whatever it was.

My fingers travelled under the collar of my gray cotton shirt to my shoulder where that memory, that faded scar lay that I ran my digits across. It was an odd habit really, but it reminded me of the good old days. With all the adrenalin and the constant anxiety that death could be lurking around any corner. You miss that life style after awhile, as crazy as it sounds. It's like a drug, it feels so exciting but yet it's deadly and once you've had a little taste, you can't get enough. I was about to pick up the phone and call my mother to see if our weekly Taco Tuesday was still on, when the phone rang out in its shrill way. This would be the call that changed my perspective on life, and would eventually lead to demise.


Well, finally we have an acknowledgment of the earlier memory. I would still say that having it earlier than this would be a good idea rather than having it be stuffed in at the end here. At any rate, this is a very intriguing ending which I love...the way that there's this very mysterious phone call that is outright said to be the one leading to some sort of potential demise is certainly quite exciting.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall, a solid start this one, just a couple of minor nitpicky things that I had to point out up there. This is definitely a story that I would follow along with. Aaand that's about all I've gotta say here. :D

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 120
Reviews: 21

Donate
Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:52 pm
Catalyst wrote a review...



Heyo, Catalyst, here for a review!

I enjoyed this short little Chapter quite a bit! In fact, I actually felt it was a little short for a novel chapter. Still, that's mostly just my nebulous opinion, so lets get to the review!

Grammar quirks-

"This would be the call that changed my prospective on life, and would eventually lead to demise."

Two things here- One, prospective should be perspective, and secondly, "eventually lead to demise" I think would be better phrased as "eventually lead to MY demise."

...Which is the only real grammar quirk I found. Well, lets get character analysing!

So, from what I've read about this character, he strikes me as a worn-down, slightly self-loathing perhaps, cynical, essentially everything you'd expect from an old Private Eye. But aside from a whole lot of maybe's and slightly's, I never really got a good sense of character here.

In terms of description, this story is fairly well told, although some of your sentences are a little clunky. For example-

" A screech of agonizing pain left my lips as tears sprung from my eyes and trickled down my cheeks, similar to the red liquid on my now pierced arm."

There is a lot going on in this sentence. I only really understood it after reading it twice. I think it would be far better if split up. For example-

"A cry of pain escaped my lips. My eyes watered, tears spilling down my cheeks like the blood pouring from my arm."

It's a little easier to take in that way, I feel. Overall, I liked this a lot! I quite like the set-up you have here, and I can't wait to see what it becomes.

Happy Writing!




User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 3187
Reviews: 173

Donate
Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:04 am
fukase wrote a review...



Hi,
Sorry, this is quite a pretty late review... ^^

**Review's Starting**

I like the italicized paragraph. Like the previous reviewer said that it draws we into the story. I feel you really should break up most paragraphs... like many other people's reviews stated. Nevertheless, nitpick~!

I screamed in surprise as the bullet grazed my arm, I was in relief for a moment but it was short lived.

You can omit the "in surprise" as we already know that if a bullet grazed our arm, we would scream instantly for most people. And the comma should be a semicolon as it could be a comma-splice if you left it like that. And here is the best resource I could find here about it: Comma splices

Overall! That is it. Bye!

But before I leave, I think there is a little off with the voice of the narrator. It may be good if you change the narrator's view...but it is quite impossible now, yes? Well continue with your story.

**The Review's Ending**

Keep writing!

~Memo




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 8421
Reviews: 111

Donate
Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:33 am
View Likes
MissLyricz wrote a review...



Hey there, PancakeandWaffle! (Couldn't decide which was better: the pancake or the waffle? I understand the struggle, it's so hard to decide!)

Anyway...getting down to business.

I am rather enjoying your story, and that's a lot coming from someone like me because I'm one of those fussy readers who needs to be intrigued by the first chapter otherwise I give up reading the story altogether.

Your story was one that got my attention. It's very suspenseful, interesting and sounds as though it's bound to get even more mysterious!

I have only one suggestion though. Although you are composing your story using first person point of view, it would be very effective if you could describe the settings more and perhaps even the main character themselves, but only to a certain extent as I'm sure you don't want to give your readers a brain overload of detail.

I look forward to where this story will go, good job at such an excellent introduction!


MissLyricz x






Aww~ thank you so much (lol, there is no struggle since my friend is Waffle and I'm Pancake :) Anyway, yeah I hoping to be able to sort out the point of views using first and third person later on and going from there with it. The second part of the story is out too if you're interested!



MissLyricz says...


You're welcome! :D
Sounds like a great plan, look forward to the finished product.
Sure I got, I'd love to read the next part of your story, my friend!



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 667
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:46 am
View Likes
Bexy2556 wrote a review...



Hi there!

I enjoyed the opening to this, it jumps straight into the story which I like. I think it sounds great in first person, so no need to change it. I look forward to seeing more of the story. I have a feeling the character development will be great.

I also like a good cliffhanger to the first chapter, it really makes the reader want to carry on reading which of course, is always good. I'm intrigued to know who is on the phone and what they want!

I would say to break up the paragraph into shorter paragraphs as another reader has suggested. It makes it a lot simpler to read as you can pause a little before the next bit of information.

Other than that, I think you are off to a great start. I'm one of those people who has to be pulled into a story straight away or I get bored but this is something I would like to read more of!




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 667
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:57 pm
View Likes
Bexy2556 says...



Hi there!

I enjoyed the opening to this, it jumps straight into the story which I like. I think it sounds great in first person, so no need to change it. I look forward to seeing more of the story. I have a feeling the character development will be great.

I also like a good cliffhanger to the first chapter, it really makes the reader want to carry on reading which of course, is always good. I'm intrigued to know who is on the phone and what they want!

I would say to break up the paragraph into shorter paragraphs as another reader has suggested. It makes it a lot simpler to read as you can pause a little before the next bit of information.

Other than that, I think you are off to a great start. I'm one of those people who has to be pulled into a story straight away or I get bored but this is something I would like to read more of!






Jeepers, thanks a bunch!



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 210
Reviews: 53

Donate
Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:51 am
View Likes
jumpingsheep wrote a review...



Hi! jumpingsheep here!

This is a wicked intriguing beginning! I like the details you included, and how you managed to characterize your main character in such few words. Them recalling memories of "the good ol days" and Taco Tuesday with mom, made your character feel like a real person.

The cliffhanger was also nice! I almost feel like your protaginist is going to be needed and will have to go back into the action, as they were during their glory days. That's just my random hypothesis, though.

Just a couple critiques:
--You may want to break this one paragraph into several smaller paragraphs to make it more reader friendly. Sometimes the details start to run together in large paragraphs and readers start to skim.

--In the last sentence, I'm not entirely sure if "prospective" is the right word to use. It doesn't really make sense to me in that context, although it may just be me.

Anyways, keep up the good work! If you would like, tag me when you post the next chapter and I'll review that one too! PM me if you have any questions!

Oh! I almost forgot! I liked the mention of the "sworn enemy". Will they be making another appearance, I wonder?






Glad you liked it!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:04 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



I think the first-person works fine, since I saw that was your question. I like the details that make this guy not sound like the stereotypical hard-boiled gumshoe type: regular Taco Tuesday with his mom, the fact that he found "the old days" so exciting rather than just being either totally worn out or obsessed with justice.

I do have a few notes. First, I was wondering: was he a cop in the old days? It's never stated outright, but since he's a P.I. now I'm assuming "the old days" refer to a different job that was more active than trailing cheating wives or whatever. I'm not saying you have to state this outright just now; it's just something to think about, that we'd want to know for sure, eventually.

OH okay, hang on, I just realized the "black-haired kid" who just moved into business is the narrator's competitor, not the kid who comes to him with a case like it says in the description. If I hadn't read the description, I probably wouldn't have been confused by that. Ah, well. Maybe you could expound a little on how this kid steals his business (like women swooning over his "big eyes" or something) and how he feels about that (is he more annoyed, more like "well, good for him and at least he's good at what he does," etc?)

On that note, I also like the fact that this particular P.I. is only 36, rather than the tired old gumshoe/cop who's days away from retirement. That's super-cliched at this point, so I like that your guy is younger.

A final note: I think that opening flashback could be cut out for now and brought in later. We see from the next paragraph that the narrator has a scar from "the old days," so that would give us a little mystery like "how'd he get it/is it tied into why he's not doing what he used to do anymore" and then later you can get into the answers behind that. It just creates a bit more mystery than having that opening scene that immediately lets us know he got shot and has a nemesis.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

BlueAfrica






Thanks for the review, I'll use this insight in the future thanks :).




If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there.
— George Harrison