z

Young Writers Society



Halfbreed Chapter One

by OverEasy


A/N please keep in mind this is a horribly rough draft simply set in to give you a basic feel for the characters, I am currently in the process of self editing, so please stay away from nitpickers in the review. I am more looking for a basic view of the story.

Chapter One: Unwanted

“She will never fit, Anber, it is not your fault, you have tried you hardest to raise her as one of us. She does not want it anymore; there was nothing you could do to change the girls mind on that one. One thing is for certain, she is as hard headed and stubborn as her mother.”

Anber shook her head, her eyes betraying the emotion she tried so desperately to conceal. “She’s not given up, Seante, she’s not!” the poor woman exclaimed. Despite the obvious differences between her daughter and the world she’d raised her in, Anber would never allow herself to fully believe the girl would never fit in… sure she was different, they had expected her to be different, but not so much so that she did not fit.

Seante patted her shoulder in the most comforting way that he could manage; he cringed inwardly, loathing Anber for nearly doing something all but a crime to his people. She almost cried.

Anber pulled herself together the moment after it happened, shaping her face into the customary blank expression, though for brief moments he would still catch her shoulders trembling.

Her daughter was not wrong.

~~~~~

Dracen skipped down the stairs, a smile plastered onto her face as she hummed some unknown tune under her breath, making it up as she went along. Her mother shook her head and closed her eyes tightly, glad that she did not have guests over at the time.

“Drea!” Anber hollered at the top of her lungs. Dracen stopped in her tracks, bowing her head in shame.”

“I apologize, mother, my behavior was unorthodox, it will not happen again.”

Anber sighed deeply, not daring to bring up the age old argument between the two of them. She always said it would not happen again, and every time, it happened again. For years and years Anber had pressed the true life upon her daughter, but it never took. Too much of him showed through her… she was much too much his daughter. And though a part of Anber soared at the sight of her smile, the other part of her, the part she kept shielded and guarded, that part broke all over again.

“Yes, daughter, I am sure.” She said instead. “Where are you off to today?”

Dracen had, unfortunately, quite surpassed her generation physically some years ago; she had since dropped out of her classes and decided to take her own path. “I must find it, mother, and the teachings they force upon me will not show me the way. I’ve tried your way, now I beg you let me try mine. I beg you.”

Anber had been a hard woman, she had followed the rules of the true life for her entire existence, but her beautiful young daughter made her break her own rules far too often. She’d grown soft for the girl, the others complained, she knew, but with a girl so free and strong willed, how can one say no?

“I think I shall just explore today, I should be home before next dawn, I promise this time.” Dracen said, the ever so convincing grin once again returning to her features.

Anber closed her eyes for a moment, knowing she would hear words from Seante in the near future for letting such a young person go off so unsupervised. Dracen was young, compared to most of their kind, she was all but a toddler, but to a world unknown to Seante, she was quite old. Old enough to be left unattended for a day. Seventeen was nothing to scoff at to the other side of Dracen’s heritage, and Anber did her best to give her child the freedom she demanded… the freedom she desperately needed.

But no freedom came without a price.

“Have fun, my darling.”

And without another word, just an appropriate bow and a skip hop out the door, Dracen was gone. Anber was not entirely certain when her daughter would return, or what strange exotic thing she would bring back with herself, but she would come home. She always did.

~~~~~

Dracen bounded out the door, two leather bags tied loosely around her belt and a pin in her dark hair keeping it pinned off of her face. Though her features were still sharpened and defined, there was undoubtedly human blood in her veins. Nonetheless her eyes were equally undoubtedly Elvin, the same clear green gaze as her mothers; she was an odd mixture of two halves. But never for one moment did she consider herself not whole.

She scurried forward with half the grace of her peers, and while she ran she rejoiced. Inwardly, outwardly, she did not know. The wind in her hair, the scent of pine and ground mulch hit her face in a rush—and she rejoiced. Laughter bubbled from her throat and her eyes closed for brief moments to savor it as she continued forward through the forest. Her forest.

They held claim to parts of it, she knew they did and she did not question them for it. In some aspects, they held claim to parts of herself as well, and she did not question that either. But damn the being who ever tried to tell her this forest, this sanctuary, was not in fact hers in every sense of the word.

Dracen slowed her pace once she had cleared the town’s limits, leaping high over logs and bounding up her stream, dancing in the water as it splashed itself up her legs and into her hair and face. Her mother, though a sweet gentle creature, could never understand this.

She loved the forest in the same way you love a home you’ve known your whole life. There was no passion in the love, no freedom in it. It just existed. Dracen considered herself the lucky one, being born her father’s daughter had given her certain opportunities that her mother could not have. She saw the world, smelled it, touched it—she was part of the world in a different way. In that way her mother and her would always be distant, and separation could be difficult. She wished for her mother’s soul that she could feel this.

Shaking her head free of thoughts of society and politics, she allowed the very world around her to draw her away. The branches reached out to touch her, leaving their mark in pink lines along her arms and calves, claiming her as their own as much as she claimed them.

She ran and danced and laughed the day away, making nice with the forest critters and climbing high when one of the larger creatures made their way towards her. She didn’t carry much with her, just a carving knife and a few bags to collect berries, and a canteen for the fresh spring water. And when nightfall came, she hunkered down into a crevice or cave somewhere, hoping that it had not been previously claimed by one of the beasts she had hidden from earlier in the day.

Night melded to day and day to night once more, and she continued on, only finally going back when her stomach begged for sustenance that simple berries and mushrooms could not give.

She walked the unpaved roads of the small city she’d known her whole life, her feet soar and aching from the three day trek, though her soles were prepared for such journeys. She hummed quietly and swung her bag of berries to and fro happily, smiling at the hidden world around her. To the naked eye, all that existed in this place was more forest. Only someone trained to see could actually tell there was an entire city here. Elves, for all of their faults, knew how to create a beautiful home, and had the magical talents to maintain it.

For that she would always be grateful to them.

She skipped her way up the uneven steps to her mother’s home, stopping short when she heard voices.

It was Seante, she could tell, his tenor voice carried easily through corridors. Anber sounded shrill and upset, and her heart tore slightly, hoping her absence had not been what caused her mother’s pain.

“Anber! She does not belong here; she is much too wild for our people. I know you care for the girl, but do what is right and let the child go. Send her to her father, send her anywhere, the city is done with her now. Did you hear what she has done! She laughed like a mad woman while running through our beautiful city. She laughed!”

“She’s just a free spirit, like her father. That’s all, I swear it. She was destined to be different from us, you accepted that when you invited us to join your city. You promised us peace here, Seante, you promised us.”

Seante sounded calmer this time. “Anber, calm yourself. You’re behaving more human by the day.” He scoffed at that. “Pull yourself together; you must see that she cannot fit here. She is as unhappy here as you were in their world. Send her to their world; see if she can find happiness there. As now all she does is cause the absence of comfort in the city. The rest of us want her gone.” He retorted cruelly.

Dracen backed up, clutching her fist to her chest and gasping slightly. She knew she was not fully welcomed here, though despite all of that her heart adored this place and these people. They did not see eye to eye, never saw the same thing the same way… but she loved this place. Her forest—what could she ever do without her forest?

See her father? The man that had learned he held one half of the responsibility of bringing her into the world and ran from the mere thought of her—see him? Speak to him? Be a daughter to him? How could she, when he had never been a father to her?

She shook her head violently. This could not be.

Dracen stormed into the house, slamming the front door behind her, to alert them to her presence. Her mother came from the kitchen, her eyes desperate and pleading. Seante was calm, a stoic expression plastered onto his face, like a chiseled block of rock, he was.

She held her head proudly, standing only a few inches above him. “If I am not wanted here, I will leave.”

“Dracen no! That’s not what he meant, I know it seems harsh, the rest are just unsure of you. If you tried harder, and kept yourself quiet, I know they would accept you back.”

She turned to her mother and smiled at her fondly before returning her gaze to Seante. “Leave us.” She demanded.

His face contorted, she could tell without doubt that one of the elders of the city did not take kindly to being ordered. A sly grin crept across her face and she delighted in seeing him so offended by her words. “I said leave us. Though I am leaving soon, as of this moment this place is still my home, and as of this moment you are less than welcome. Leave me be for just one night, I will be gone before long.” She told him, meeting his gaze boldly and without mercy.

My mother let a quiet strangled cry escape from her throat, and she saw him look back at her, disgust written across his features, but he let himself out. Only once he was gone did she go to her trembling weeping mother. Dracen held her arms wide, and her mother fell helplessly into her embrace. She petted her hair quietly, murmuring words of nonsense and comfort as best as she could. Anber quieted soon, her lifetime living the true life had trained her well, though not as well as most. She masked her face in an emotionless shield. Dracen stood on shaky knees. “Help me get some things together? I won’t need much, just enough to help me along my journey.”

“Oh, but where will you go?” She asked quietly.

“I am not positive yet; I shall walk north along the path and see where it will take me.” She kissed her forehead, and held her for another moment. “I’ll find my way, I swear it.”

Anber’s hear sank ever so slightly, as the thousands of broken promises playing through her mind without mercy. Still she set herself on the task of getting together anything and everything that would help her daughter make it through this journey alive.

Dracen made a makeshift pack out of old leather scraps and filled it with as much dried fruit and fish she could carry. She pulled on her good boots, and stuffed her heavy woolen cloak into her pack for colder nights. Anber walked her to the door, and Dracen turned to her. She held her hands tightly, before bringing them to her lips and kissing each knuckle. When she met her mother’s gaze one last time, she had tears in her eyes.

“We’ll meet again, I look forward to it.” She said, embracing Anber one more time before turning out the door. She did not need to see the tears to know they were there, though hidden, they were there.

Dracen ambled out of the city she had always known, her head held high as tears glistened down her fair skin.

And as she walked away, she promised to always live without shame and without fear.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 3098
Reviews: 196

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:19 pm
OverEasy says...



I am working on editing this whole chapter and creating a more vivid picture of the culture she's been raised in. I can see how it might be confusing right now. Thanks though.




User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm
KJ wrote a review...



You don't want nitpicks, so I'll just plow right ahead and give you one blunt statement: You beginning needs work. You already know that, of course, so I'll give you the reasons why.

One, it didn't interest me at all. In fact, after reading to the second section, I was tempted to stop. But then when you switched your focus from Anber to Dracen things got more interesting. For me, at least.

Two, I had nothing in common with Anber, and this played a hue part for me, since she seemed to be such a big deal in the beginning. Now, granted, you can't always make your characters someone everyone loves, but I should at least feel empathy for the woman for what she's going through. I don't. She annoys me, and I wish she would toughen up.

Three, there is very little individuality. Many of your characters' voices blended in my head. I do like Dracen - she at least has a little more fire - but you need to divulge some traits or aspects of her past/present that makes her so special.

But on the plus side, you did have some excellent description, and I did enjoy your piece more towards the end. I actually think you should cut Anber's little intro, and begin the story right with Dracen. Just a thought.

Keep writing! Sorry if I seemed harsh - just trying to help.

KJ




User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 8954
Reviews: 89

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 am
brassnbridle wrote a review...



Leaving aside elvin dialog, as it is up to the author, i think your beginning is very confusing. I had trouble keeping track of who was who and how they were involved. It would be nice to get a brief description of who Seante is and where he fits in socially to make the conflicts a bit more understandable.

“She will never fit, Anber, it is not your fault, you have tried you hardest to raise her as one of us.

For as proper as this line is, it has a few too many comas- to me it just doesn't flow well. Maybe start a new sentence-
“She will never fit, Anber. It is not your fault, you have tried you hardest to raise her as one of us.
or something.
“She’s not given up, Seante, she’s not!”

this is also confusing. If they talk completely proper, then shouldn't it be She is not? And 'She is not given up' doesn't quite make sense.
“I apologize, mother, my behavior was unorthodox, it will not happen again.”

Once again, this seems comma happy! :) Again, maybe try breaking it into two sentences, or adding a semicolon, or a dash.

They held claim to parts of it, she knew they did and she did not question them for it. In some aspects, they held claim to parts of herself as well, and she did not question that either. But damn the being who ever tried to tell her this forest, this sanctuary, was not in fact hers in every sense of the word.

This paragraph is awesome, but difficult to understand. Replacing a few of the pronouns would make it flow so much better.
Sorry if this is too nit-picky for you.

As for the story, I found it interesting but lacking a bit of detail. Especially about the city- you've said it's beautiful, so give us a description to help us understand! :)
Other than that I liked the idea of your story. Good luck!




User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 3098
Reviews: 196

Donate
Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:19 pm
OverEasy says...



Most people have bad habits, and tend to cut their speech short, not make it longer.


They're not people, they're Elves, and as such, their speech patterns are different.




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1304
Reviews: 30

Donate
Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:16 pm
TalaPaulwic wrote a review...



Okay, I'm not getting too specific here. Almost every time a character speaks I hear in my head a sort of robotic person. Most people have bad habits, and tend to cut their speech short, not make it longer.

Everyone sounds the same in this.

The opening scene did nothing for the chapter. Gave me the wrong idea.

Other then that it was pretty good. When/if you go back and edit it, be more descriptive.




User avatar
576 Reviews


Points: 6371
Reviews: 576

Donate
Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 pm
Ego wrote a review...



Juniper wrote: Fair enough! I see where you're coming from. My main reason for pointing that out is because the dialogue is very formal, and formality is attributed to humans, it seemed a bit out of place. (I know I'm unclear xD) But, think, to be formal/proper in speech is human very human, whereas if you opted for a slang or broken tongue, it could be attached to any species. That was my reason for pointing that out, dear. :P

Just wanted to clear that up! Good luck!

June


Say what? Propriety is attributed to humans but slang is attributed to anything else? What are you talking about? You understand, dearie, that they are speaking elvish...because they're elves. Furthermore, in OE's mythos, her elves have adapted a culture very much like that of feudal Japan, where tone is to be respectful at all times, especially to those that are in a higher position than you. These elves speak in formal tones, not in the gruff dialect of gnomes, dwarves, or uneducated humans...When you read this piece, think of the elves as a regal, noble race that are trained from birth to show little emotion and to express the utmost respect between themselves. ;)




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Juniper says...



Also, not to sound rude, why would I have then sound human when they're clearly not? I was using the very proper dialogue to show the difference in species.


Fair enough! I see where you're coming from. My main reason for pointing that out is because the dialogue is very formal, and formality is attributed to humans, it seemed a bit out of place. (I know I'm unclear xD) But, think, to be formal/proper in speech is human very human, whereas if you opted for a slang or broken tongue, it could be attached to any species. That was my reason for pointing that out, dear. :P

Just wanted to clear that up! Good luck!

June




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 2570
Reviews: 245

Donate
Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:45 am
LowKey wrote a review...



Me? Late? Neeever :P

Dracen bounded out the door, two leather bags tied loosely around her belt and a pin in her dark hair keeping it pinned off of her face.


Didn't jump out too bad, but you might want to get rid of one of the 'pin's. :)

Nonetheless her eyes were equally undoubtedly Elvin, the same clear green gaze as her mothers;


Mother's; Yes?

She walked the unpaved roads of the small city she’d known her whole life, her feet soar and aching from the three day trek,


Soar = fly away! Sore = ouch. Minor typo. :P

It actually didn't feel all that rough. If anything, it seemed to flow better than your other pieces in their original form (on YWS). Even ASM (which is still in demand *cough*) was a little rough after the edit, though it was quite an improvement on the previous version. I can see that it's a rough draft, though. There are some areas that could stand to have a edit, even a quick one, to pluck some things out and add more things in. As is, it's fine, and anything you tweak now beyond the typos is up to you. It'll set the feel of the story, so I'm hesitant to be any more specific.

Looks like an interesting start to the story. Points for introducing conflict in the first post -- usually need to wait until the second or third for it.

And now, I'm off to number two!




User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 3098
Reviews: 196

Donate
Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 am
OverEasy says...



No offence June, and I truly don't mean any here, but the entire intention with Seante was to show the views of an entire culture. In the culture I am attempting to creat excessive emotion is seen as almost a savage thing, and therefore a crime. It's the same reason their language is very proper, their culture is very proper.

Also, not to sound rude, why would I have then sound human when they're clearly not? I was using the very proper dialogue to show the difference in species.




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 am
Juniper wrote a review...



Heylo, Tiff! June here!

Two excuses: I haven't reviewed much standardized prose lately, I've dealt more in informative articles, minimalist, and experimental type writing lately, that I think I may be slightly closed-minded in reviewing this, so bear with me, and feel free to disregard any statements I make. I'm a bit short on time as the moment calls, so my explanations will not be as thorough as they can be.

Seante patted her shoulder in the most comforting way that he could manage; he cringed inwardly, loathing Anber for nearly doing something all but a crime to his people. She almost cried.


Despite the fact that I strongly encourage people dividing their characters within themselves, I have a feeling that Seante shouldn't outwardly loathe Anber. Perhaps have a small part of him loath him, or one side of him, because if you state that a character has hatred for another early on, you may cast the wrong impression on your audience.

I don't know Seante, but, I'm guessing, if he's not entirely soulless, he may have some sympathy for others? I'm just stating this, because the first inner actions that your characters display in your story are the actions that leave an imprint on us, dear.

On a more important note, the part "nearly doing all but a crime" sounds very confusing, and feels like it could be cut back to two words, dear. One of the things I love about your writing is the simplicity of it; you don't throw us abstract leadropes and expect us to grab on. ;)


Too much of him showed through her… she was much too much his daughter.


Here, you state the same implied meaning twice. Also! Try not to use the ellipsis so much, dear; sometimes, it's better not to use it in your illustration, whereas it's okay to include it in dialogue. For instance:

> In Illustration

- She walked to the door... she thought she heard a noise.

Basically, that sounds pretty boring; the ellipsis is showing there's a discontinued train of thought that's not abruptly interrupted.

- The key had to be one of the chests. There were only four... three... two... left to go.

The ellipsis here would imply a time frame between each of the chests, allowing the character to move from one to another, if that makes sense?


> In Dialogue

- "I... don't know."

To indicate a pause.

- "I thought it was here..."

To indicate a trailed-off thought.

[/preachy lesson xD]


but her [s]beautiful [/s]young daughter made her break her own rules far too often.


Only one adjective is needed in the sentence, dear. Using more makes it feel like you're overdoing it. ;)

Nonetheless her eyes were equally undoubtedly Elvin,


Elven, not elvin, dearie.


making nice with the forest critters


Nice...?

:P


My mother let a quiet strangled cry escape from her throat, and she saw him look back at her,


Little stray switch to first person there, dear.



- - - - - -

> Overall

Good. While I don't especially favor this in terms of liking, you have a good start to head in, Tiff. (I'm biased, honestly, Fantasy and I are just ... blargh.)

I can't say that the concept of someone being driven from a city is entirely original. It's excellent ground for a good story, but I would definitely love to see more unique events following this. ;)

Keep an eye on your wording. You have a beautiful language, clear, simple, straight-to-the-point. Don't ruin it. Stay away from "pretty" terminology and sentences, because they change the flow of a story easily.

Also! In dialogue, try to make them sound human, dearie. I know they're elven, but their words sound forced, unnatural, as if they're trying to impress an audience. Give us more (because we know you can) and make dialogue strings longer. ;)

Good work here. I look forward to you continuing this, dear. :)

June




User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:58 pm
Kale wrote a review...



The entire opening scene doesn't add anything to the chapter. I suggest deleting it entirely. Without nitpicking, I can't say much else other than that the story didn't really draw me in. I think it's mainly because this isn't the sort of story I'm usually interested in rather than it being due to the writing itself. Also, there wasn't much by way of characterization. Dracen is a free spirit, her mother really loves her, and that's it.

So, in short: not my type of story, though it's not the fault of the writing.





Most things happen for a reason. Though, usually, the forces that be are immature enough that the reason is comedy.
— WeepingWisteria