A Stolen Life: A Memoir

by OverEasy

This is a novel not for everyone, and I recognize that. It deals with repeated rape, kidnapping, and all sorts of other unseemly things. However, that being said, it touched me in a very deep way. Jaycee made the decision to not use a ghost writer, and I think it is possibly the best thing that she could have done. In the introduction she warns you that the work is raw, and she tends to go off onto tangents. This is not untrue, but because of how unedited it is, it is perfect.

If you are a stickler for correct grammar, this is not a story for you. It is riddled with run on sentences, fragments, and paragraphs that can last several pages. Personally, I think it leaves the voice feeling very real.

It is a truly inspiring story, of a girl robbed of everything and given nothing for 18 years. She tells us her story, as true and honest as she can. She goes into what it was like to be raped, repeatedly, sometimes for days on end (when he captor had taken narcotics). She tells us what it was like to give birth in a tiny room, with no pain medication save for some codeine, only being attended by two inexperienced, unqualified people. She shares her every thought, and it is moving.

I would highly recommend this story, but I warn you it is an emotional and powerful read. In the end though, I promise it will bring a smile to your face.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:47 am
blackholmes says...

end it with unpredictable ending.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 am
OverEasy says...

Sorry, the author is a very publicized case. She was kidnaped and held captive for 18 years before being found. Lol I just sort of assumed most people had heard of the story, and that was my mistake. As for the desciption I did mention some of the things the book dealt with, including much of her history, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that my descriptions were sparce.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 am
Kale wrote a review...

This is a bit bare on details. You have the barest, basic premise laid out, but there's no real context or introduction to the memoir, and so there's no real incentive given to read it. Who is Jaycee? How did she come to write this memoir? What is her background, and why is it so compelling?

I also found your opinion a bit sparse. You obviously liked the book, but there's not much reason given as to why. What is it about this memoir that makes it absolutely worth reading to you? You mention the ungrammatical aspect as making the voice feel real, but that's about it. This review could use a bit more opinion and support to help convince people to pick up this book and read it.

Right now, all I get from this is that you liked it and think it worth reading, but I'm not seeing much reason why you liked it and therefore why I might like it as well, so I don't see much of a reason to pick it up.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:59 pm

This is a good introduction, but try to hold back a little on the information, that way you can still surprise the reader with some of the things that happen. Remember, whilst posting the further chapters/parts of this that you will need to give it a suitable rating, seeing as it seems to have some quite mature content in it.
Good luck in your writing!
Icy.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 am
OverEasy says...

This isn't a story I wrote... this is a review of a memoir.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 am
irsyad23 says...

This will be a good story. Put on more conflict or maybe death to it more tragic..

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones