12+

All That Mattered

by Othersider

I don’t know how long I’ve been killing them. The Infected. Days blur into weeks. Weeks into months. Months into years. I have become a machine. Killing. Watching. Surviving. All I can think about is tomorrow. I hope it will be a new day. If I will wake up from this nightmare. But I am awake, I have been pinching myself on my arm so many times, my hand feels numb. Still, I cherish each day, like it will be my last. Memories are all I have now. But day by day, they become a little bit fainter, like an eclipse slowly covering the warmth of the Sun. There hasn’t been a clear day of sunshine since it began. I longed to see the Sun once more in all its life giving glory. To feel the heat shining on me with a clear sky ahead. That day never came.

I see one. My eyes fixed onto its decaying frame. It turns toward me. Its dislocated jaw and rotting flesh limp toward me. I sit down, trying to remember how it all started.A Thursday morning, I think, usual as any. Mundane problems filled my head. Bills, family, work, filled my head to the brim. I switched on the Television for a quick sigh of relief. Chaos, anarchy, a plague that swept across the world like wildfire. It killed my soul. Before I knew it, time had passed me by like the wind whizzing past my face. It was now less than a metre away. The smell of it was disgustingly nostalgic, its skin was a shade of decayed brown and ripped blood-streaked pants made it stumble as it walked. I drew out my machete from my pack. A clean cut through the head. I walked away as its lifeless body slumped to the ground. “600” I said. “Congrats”.

The smell of smoke and decay clouded the air. Abandoned cars and bodies littered the highway. “Storm’s coming” I muttered to myself. As if on cue, thunder rolled through the sky above. It had just begun to drizzle when a petrol station veered into view. It had two pumps in the front and a garage behind the main station. I had been there before, with my friend, I filled up his old Toyota while he took a smoke behind the station next to the bathroom.

I pushed the door of the station opened. Again I was met with smell of rotting flesh. What was I expecting? A room filled with living people smelling of sunflowers? “Yeah right”. There was not much to look at, a normal frosted glassed paned station with empty broken shelves lying overturned on the floor. Nothing I’m not used to. Two of them were there. One had a name tag that said ‘Ali” and his face was almost torn off exposing his rotted teeth. The other had severed arm and wore a Guns N’ Roses shirt with a torn sleeve. My hand was numb as I hacked and slashed my way through. 602.

I breathed in the cold air and caught a wisp of gasoline as I checked the pumps. No luck, as usual. I stopped for a moment looking into the horizon. I knew somewhere out there, beyond the chaos, the blood, somewhere paradise awaited me.

I carried my father’s revolver wherever I went. Didn’t use it much though, ammunition was scarce. Two bullets remained. I pulled it out and sat on a broken curb. I took a single bullet and pushed it in.The barrel felt cold as I pressed it against my forehead. The gun clicked as I pulled the trigger. Was it going to end just like this? ‘Click’. Undignified, sitting on a broken curb with not a penny to my name? ‘Click’. Maybe it was for the better. ‘Click’. The destruction, the killing, what was left to fight for? ‘Click’. The next chamber held the bullet but I couldn’t do it. Dead walking and bloodshed and I’m afraid of pulling a trigger to end it all.

The cold October rain hit me like bullets falling from heaven. One thing I knew was certain, winter was coming. I went back in to look for supplies. All the shelves were empty. No surprise. But something caught my eye. A Twinkie, half hidden behind a shelf. It was 7 months past its expiration date. I didn’t care, it was something. I stuffed it into my blood stained trousers. Suddenly, a sound from behind aroused me. Another one I thought to myself. “Just my luck”.

It had stopped raining but it was pitch black. For a moment, the clouds rolled back and the smoke cleared, and I saw the stars. They littered the night sky like a thousand fireflies and a pale crescent moon shone its fading light on me. The hairs on the back of my neck curled. I could feel it moving. It had no legs, dragging its body across the ground, leaving bits of itself and blood as it did. For a moment, I pitied it and wondered whether there was still someone inside or just a mindless flesh eater. I drew my weapon and put it out of its misery. 603. I saw another one, a child. She wore a pink blood streaked pink dress. The blood was still dripping from my machete when she stepped into the moonlight. Her face was unblemished; I saw my reflection in her right eye, her dark hair covering the other. She shivered in the cold night and her lips murmured as if she was saying a silent prayer.

“Hello?” she said while holding her hands to her mouth. I didn’t reply. I gave her my jacket. “Thank you” she said with a smile. “I lost my Mummy. She told me to go. I saw her being taken away, there was blood everywhere.” She began to cry. I wiped her tears. She smiled at me. Once upon a time, a smile didn’t mean a whole lot. But things changed, and a simple smile could change the way we saw the world and lifted the dark veil of this nightmare, at least for a moment.

Suddenly, I saw them. A hoard of them. They surrounded the station. I couldn’t believe how silent they were, I didn’t even notice them until now. One straggled towards me. I swung my machete and its headless corpse fell to the ground. More took its place from all directions. The more I killed, the more they came, like Hercules fighting the Hydra. 621. I knew we had to retreat back to the station. I pushed them back with my machete. She held my shirt and followed me in. I pushed back the door and she ran in. I took one last swing and I missed. One of them bit me in the arm and I swear I thought it smiled as it did. I let go of my machete and took out my gun. The sound of the shot rang in my ears and it fell to the ground. I closed the door and barricaded it with an ice cream freezer. 622.

I sat down and took a deep breath.I didn’t care about the stench anymore. She sat next to me. I examined the wound, and wondered how something so dead could bite so hard. My arm felt like it was on fire, the smell of it didn’t make it any better, I could tell it was missing a few teeth from the bit, a front tooth and a molar I think. She took my hand and clenched it tightly.

“I want you to run.” I said.

“What?! Where?!” she replied, stammering.

“Somewhere else, somewhere safe”

She said no more. I guess she knew what was going to happen. They banged against the glass panels, their bloody handprints were like murals on the walls. I took out my Twinkie and gave her half. I took a bite, a small dose of delight that held back the reality of things to come. She nibbled her half, and smiled with her eyes closed. “Ready?” I said. She nodded in reply. I took a stone and sketch on the ground ‘622’. I took a piece of wood from the broken shelf. I had the gun in my other hand.

“1, 2.......3”

I pulled the door open and shot the first one I saw. Its blood sprayed all over me. I threw the gun and pushed back the hoard with the wood and a small opening appeared. “RUN!!!” I shouted. She did. I saw her pink silhouette running across the road. I felt relieved, and then it began. They pulled me like a tug of war, biting and snarling at me. I could see all their rotting, decayed faces pressed against my skin, blood spraying all over my face and body. I thought to myself, this was how it was going to end. Unknown. Undignified. But it didn’t matter, I saved one person. One person remembered me. She survived and that was all that mattered.

MagentaDefined wrote a review...

I've read a lot of zombie stories, and for a short zombie story to have such a 'punch' is really admirable. In my personal opinion the fact that your character counts each zombie they kill shows that she does care about the zombies(in reply to ThereseCricket) enough to count each kill, but she has to do it in order to survive, either way that's at least how I interpreted it.

I thought that the fact that your character only had one bullet left and used it to save the girl instead of saving herself the pain of being attacked, which was great.

I do wish I knew a little more about the protagonist aswell. For example a memory attached to the gun extending on what it meant to her father, inevitably leading to why it means to her besides that it was her fathers could have been nice.

Also in my opinion an extension of when she saved the girl and the interaction between them would have been nice.

But those are just my nitpicks, I think it was a really amazing story.

horrendous wrote a review...

ah, i love zombie stories.

i think you picked a perfect plot to tell a short story. a large event in the protagonist's life (meeting another survivor), and sacrificing himself to save the girl.

i wish i knew more about the protagonist and little girl, though. neither character is really built upon, so their unlikely meeting lacks emphasis. you describe very briefly the protagonist's past, but not at all how he came to be the only person for miles (except for a little girl).

i think you used very successfully some poetic descriptive language. you've got the skills to write a solid story, there are just elements missing from this one, what i and the previous reviewer pointed out.

describe and display characters more realistically. the main character has so few lines of thought and dialogue that the reader doesn't really feel a connection with him. his personality seems robotic and dry. not good qualities for a protagonist.

keep practicing, you've got the raw skills to make a great story.

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hey Cricket her for a quick review!
So first off I don't think you should tell us what these creatures are right off the bat. It might add more to the suspense if you save that for later, and kinda drag it out. Put us on the end of our seats; if you know what I mean.
The part where he meets the little girl is very impersonal. I think you should describe exactly how he's feeling, just a little more. If this is the first person he has seen in a while then he should be just a little more emotional about it. At least I know I would be! lol But that might just be me.
When the little girl is talking there's too many short sentences. It needs to flow more.
And she wouldn't be smiling one second and crying the next.
But other than that I think you did a really good job! Writing style's good and so is sentence structure.
Just one more thing though. Does this guy think of them as if they were people? Are they zombies or something? I'm fairly certain that you meant for them to be zombies. So you might just want to describe what exactly he thinks they are, and whether or not they are people.

Good Work! I hope this helped!

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy