z

Young Writers Society



Pain from affection.

by OblivionShadow


My heart hurts.
It flows with the blood consisting of water, nutrients and pain.
It weeps to replace the tears I said I wouldn't cry.
How did you creep up like a ninja and cause my arteries to have muscle spasms?
This is excruciating, yet not enough for me to be annihilated.
Led on a track only to not cross the line of finish, put in the challenger only to explode before reching the infinity of space.
Impossible to make you see differently, another journey through my old house in Oblivion.
Your beautiful mind, that look in your eyes, all must vacate the hotel leading to heartbreak, for not paying the daily fee of concentrating on me.
No kiss, no looks of love, only a small, microscopic sense of lust.
I want my arms to encircle you like reading circle.
But, with you seeing nothing in me, my feelings for you I will have to eviscerate.
I'll bleed it out, leaving only the joy of myself left.
Even if it's only a seed, the soil of my veins will make it grow.
The blood that flows will nuture it, and my love for myself will grow, and i'll depend on no one.
Everyone will love to be around me, and take shade under my leaves.
And so, I keep it rolling forward like tumbleweeds in a ghost town.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
270 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 270

Donate
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 pm
blacktiger3915 says...



I liked it. Keep up the good work. Post more please. :)




User avatar
758 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 758

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:23 pm
Cade wrote a review...



OblivionShadow wrote:forgot to mention its free verse. i'm not particularly into following a fixed rhythm. i just put my thoughts on paper in the best way possible. but i will definitely take the annhilate and the other critisms to heart. thanks people.
As niteowl said, free verse is not the absence of rhythm. It is the absence of a very fixed stucture, i.e. a certain number of syllables in a line, or the way stressed syllables fall. You have to keep in mind that poetry is a verbal art--the best poems are those that not only say something, but sound good saying it. If poetry didn't sound good and have rhythm, it wouldn't be poetry...it would be prose with line breaks.

Being original. I second everything that backgroundbob said. The poem is largely unimpressive because it isn't unique...we want to read what YOU have to say! Say it, and say it your way! We as readers don't want to hear the same-old waah, life sucks, heartbreak...

Diction. Diction is your word choice. You should choose all of your words carefully. Think of how your words sound, what they mean (denote), and what they may imply to your reader (connote). Here are some examples of things you can improve:
It flows with the blood consisting of water, nutrients and pain.
This sounds almost funny--and you don't want your reader to laugh while reading this poem, correct? The words "consisting", "water", and "nutrients" especially have a scientific feel to them. Tacking pain on at the end is just incredibly awkward.
How did you creep up like a ninja and cause my arteries to have muscle spasms?
I seriously laughed out loud when I read this. All I can think is NINJAAAAS!
Yes. Cut it. No kidding. It just has to go.
Led on a track only to not cross the line of finish, put in the challenger only to explode before reching the infinity of space.
What does that even mean? It's abstract and confusing and...I don't even know what it has to do with the poem. As a matter of fact, you have a lot of lines like that. Stick to the concrete! Create interesting images, things that your reader can visualize. Those things can help the reader get involved in the poem and understand the poem.

So. Those are just a few examples from the beginning of the poem. Avoid weird words that might mean different things than intended, choose your words carefully, and avoid abstract images.

(Also. Check your spelling and grammar and such.)

-Colleen




User avatar
1275 Reviews


Points: 36224
Reviews: 1275

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:05 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



"Free verse" and no rhythm are not the same thing. Even though free verse poetry doesn't rhyme, there still needs to be some consistency and flow. The line lengths don't have to be exactly the same, but you shouldn't have a bunch of short lines and then a long rambling line. Also, I nearly always suggest stanzas because they organize your piece so the reader knows what thought goes with what. Right now, this is just a huge block of text, which isn't fun to read.

As for the content itself, I basically agree with the much more eloquent backgroundbob. You do have a couple interesting lines, like the thing about the ninja and the muscle spasms, but a lot of this has been done before. Try reading poems on here and elsewhere. Eventually, you'll get a feel for what's interesting and what's overused. Trust me, I was a much less critical reviewer when I first joined than I am now. Also, you should keep writing. Even if it's a stupid journal entry, at least you're staying in practice. Keep working at it, and you could improve immensely.

Keep writing! 8)




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 1086
Reviews: 134

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:13 pm
aestar101 wrote a review...



This is a good poem. I like the references to the human body and the imagry. There is are dark and sad connotations comming from this poem. I like how you mentioned that she didn't love you she lusted for you. Overall, good job :D :D :D :D




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 pm
OblivionShadow says...



forgot to mention its free verse. i'm not particularly into following a fixed rhythm. i just put my thoughts on paper in the best way possible. but i will definitely take the annhilate and the other critisms to heart. thanks people.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 20

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:54 am
Dreamwriter wrote a review...



Uh, woah. This is kinda cool, and I think you're going somewhere, but you're trying too hard. These words you're using, they just don't flow.

(Quote)
How did you creep up like a ninja and cause my arteries to have muscle spasms?
This is excruciating, yet not enough for me to be annihilated.
(End Quote)
I like the ninja remark, but if you're going to put in something like that, you need to be better about how you use it. How did he creep like a ninja?
Example: How did you sneak up on me, swift with the grace of a ninja.

Or something like that.

And what's with the word Annihilate? That kinda made me stop and stare for a moment, completely blocking the word flow. Loss of Rythem is something a poet needs least.

I guess what I mean is that you need to make it a bit simpler, clearer. Of course, I loved it, but I'm trying to give you constructive crytism.




User avatar
266 Reviews


Points: 1726
Reviews: 266

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:47 am
backgroundbob wrote a review...



Right-o!

Let's start with the basics, your technique. First of all is your form and structure, which need a bit of work. Basically what you have here is a short piece of prose, but you've stuck linebreaks at the end of every sentence and stuck in the 'poetry' section. That's not really how poetry works, unfortunately: part of what differentiates it from prose is the poet's ability to use more precise structures to convey meaning. Having arbitrary line lengths loses that - you need to read up on poetic structure before you have a swing at it, really. Because of this, a regular meter and rhythm also don't exist in your poem, which is one more poetic tool discarded.

Next, your language and content. Here you have another problem, one that I see a lot: your poem looks worryingly like a vast majority of internet poetry I've ever read. That means that while there are great internet poets out there, for every one I find there are four or five who use the same images, the same style, the same subjects. I couldn't even begin to estimate the number of poems I've seen with exactly these same ideas of heartbreak and loss, with exactly these same images of bleeding, of tumbleweeds, of walking through old empty houses... etc. It can come as a shock to discover, but most people have a lot of the same emotions as you, and a big chunk of them try writing about it before they realise their mistake - if you want to give us the same stuff we've been reading for years, fine, but it doesn't add anything to poetry as an art and it doesn't really pique any interest in those of us well-read enough to know better.
If you want to write something truly interesting, however, you're going to have to take a big step back and figure out some of the things in the world that people don't understand and rarely are given insight into. Make connections between seemingly unconnected things; compare the imcomparable; use the mundane to touch the indescibable - this is your job as a poet, excruciatingly difficult and frustrating as it is.

I hope we see more of you around the place - give me a shout if you ever need anything.





To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg