z

Young Writers Society



Cataclysm: Chapter 2; Harley

by NympheaLily


This world is no place for us anymore. Because of us, we released an evil that can only be for a destructive purpose. My thoughts were filled with despair as I walked out of the medical tent. The day was a hazy gray, the light just illuminating the garbage that made up the Epsilon base camp. I made my way through the grounds, searching for my best friend. I needed to talk to him. The ruined sky scrapers were still standing tall after four years of destruction. Stop it Harley, I told myself, You have to stay positive in these dark times. For Katie. I continued my search and soon enough, I found him sitting on the ground, reloading his hunting rifle. 

“Hey Kane,” I said. Kane was quite attractive for someone who’d lived through the apocalypse. His black hair was swept over his eyes and his strong arms were scratched and dirty. His features were chiseled and he looked older than he was. I used to have a crush on him, but that time was long past. Kane has made our relationship status quite clear. We were friends and friends only. Lately, however, Kane had grown gaunt and pale. He hardly ate or slept anymore. A few times, I caught him staring into space with a sort of demonic look. He had one on now, as he was reloading his weapon. 

“Hey Harley,” he replied, pausing his reloading to smile at me, “How are things?” I sighed and hung my head.

“Bad. It doesn’t look like she’s getting better anytime soon.” Kane gave me a sympathetic look and put down his rifle.

“Everything’s going to be okay,” he said, putting a gloved hand on my shoulder, “She’s going to be fine.” I knew he meant well, but even his words were devoid of hope. I knew the odds were not in my favor. Oh Katie, my baby sister, you are all the family I have. Please, oh god please don’t stop fighting. Don’t turn into one of them.

I was staring at the medical tent where I had just come from, hoping against hope that the scientists in there could save her. They can save her! Kane stood up, his rifle all loaded and attached to his backpack. He stood for a moment, thinking. Finally he approached me.

“C’mon,” he said, holding out a hand, “I know where we need to go.” He led me through the camp and out the Southern entrance. We walked through various alleyways, climbing over pieces of debris littering the streets. Everywhere I looked, there was garbage and rotting carcasses. Where are we going? I frowned, but kept up with Kane as he led us through the abandoned streets of the Epsilon region.

“Kane, where are we going?” I asked, making my thoughts a reality.

“You’ll see,” he said mysteriously. I felt a twinge of nervousness run through me. Kane was my partner and very best friend and we’ve saved each other’s life multiple times, but Kane had been very attached to his rifle, well, even more than he already was, and his eyes were constantly shifting back and forth. He seemed a lot more jumpy too, but I payed no attention inside camp or put on patrol.

“Kane, you’re scaring me,” I said, a bit nervously.

“Don’t worry about anything,” he said, “I’m pretty sure you’ll like where I’m taking you.” I kept following him uncertainly until we finally reached the destination. We had arrived at a house that looked like it was painted red and white. In the alley next to the house was a run down shelter made of old planks of boards, blankets, and leftover tin. I recognized it as the playhouse we used to hang out in before all world fell into ruin. It was still in pretty good shape, considering it had been four years since we’ve visited it. It seemed pretty spacious and filled with dirty pillows and blankets. The inside was warm despite the cool morning and it bore signs of use.

“Looks like someone was using this,” I said, “Wonder who?”

“Probably a rogue,” snorted Kane, “They pass through the regions all the time. Usually they don’t get caught.” I nodded. Kane bowed mockingly and swept his hand to the side.

“After you , my lady.” I grinned at him and crawled inside. I looked around and sat in a pile of pillows. Kane sat down right across from me.

“Sweet, right?” he said, “I found it when we were on patrol once. You were looking inside the building across the street.”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“I wanted it to be a surprise! And anyway, you had too much on your mind with Katie and all.” I smiled. Kane was so thoughtful sometimes.

“It’s been four years since we’ve been here,” I said, looking around, “I can’t believe it’s still standing.” I shifted my weight on the pillows.

“Same here,” he said, “Hey Harley, I have a question to ask you.”

“Yeah?” I said, a bad feeling growing in my stomach. I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong, but I still felt guilty.

“If you had the chance to move groups without all of the mistrust and name calling, would you?” I was silent for a few minutes. Change groups? Change the people I’ve been living with for four years? Change my entire philosophy? Kane was staring at me, expecting an answer.

“I-uh,” I stuttered. What do I say? What do I really think?

“I think, um, maybe,” I tried again, “Then again, I’d be leaving the people that I love. You know, Katie is so very loyal to Epsilon because of her best friend who is the leader’s daughter-”

“But Katie might not make it,” said Kane, blandly. I stared at him.

“W-what?” I stammered. Kane sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“I’m not trying to crush your hopes of her surviving,” he said, “I’m just trying to be realistic.”

“Kane! You just told me, literally fifteen minutes ago that everything would be okay. And now you’re telling me that she’s not going to make it?”

“Harley, listen to me!” he said, “I never said she was not going to make it. I’m not trying to be a downer here, but you need to start accepting the fact that she might not make it. I know you‘re holding on to the slightest bit of hope, I am too, but you’ll hurt even more if you get your hopes too high.” I looked at the ground, feeling tears well up in my eyes. Dangit Harley! Why do you have to be such a softie? I clenched and unclenched my fists, trying to get a grip on what he said.

“How could you be so pessimistic?”

“I’m being realistic.”

“How could you even say that when you just told me everything was going to be okay?”

“Harley, I’m sorry,” he said, in a much softer voice, “But, I don’t want you to get hurt too badly.” I looked at him, a mix of anger, sadness, desperation, and the slightest bit of hope churning in my stomach.

“I’m still hoping,” I said hollowly, “The Epsilon doctors are some of the best doctors in the world. I’m holding out hope that they can… that they will…” My voice trailed off. Kane moved over and hugged me, his muscular and grimy arms wrapping around me, making me feel safe. I could feel his heartbeat, steady and strong, not ever faltering.

We stayed like this for quite a while, reflecting on the past couple years. All of the infected we fought together, the adventures we had, and everything else. All of that flashed by in the minutes where we were just enjoying each other’s company. Everything seemed to be okay, until a shout broke up our peaceful moment.

“Harley! Harley where are you?” Kane and I broke apart and went to go investigate the shouting. There we found Kane’s sister, Kitt, standing on a dumpster, shouting my name.

“Kitt!” I cried, “What’s wrong?” Kitt’s face looked like she’s been crying. Tear tracks streaked down her dirty face and her eyes were red.

“Harley,” Kitt choked, “Come quick back to camp. I-it's Katie.” My eyes widened and I grabbed her by the shoulders.

“What’s wrong?” I asked desperately, “What are they doing to Katie?” Kitt gulped and pointed in the direction of the camp. Kitt seemed unable to speak for a few moments but Kane came forward and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Breathe,” he said, “What’s wrong?”

“You have to come!” she said, “She... She turned.” I felt a spike of fear run through me.

“No,” I said, “No!” I took off sprinting through the streets, Kane and Kitt following close behind. I dashed through the debris as fast as I could without falling. Pure panic was running through my mind, drowning all other thoughts out. The race back to base was a blind run. I could hardly see where I was going, but I managed to get to camp without severely injuring myself. I saw a group of people congregating in the middle of the camp. I stumbled to the mob and pushed my way through.

“Katie!” I shouted desperately, “Katie!” I broke out of the circle just in time to see my baby sister chained to the ground, snarling like a wild animal when a gunshot ripped through the air.

BANG!

Katie went limp. I stared in horror at her, looking at the bullet hole in her forehead. Blood pooled around her head like a demonic halo, thick and sticky. The man who put the bullet through my baby sister, looked calm and collected, blowing the smoke off his pistol like one of those cool cowboys in the old movies. I looked up at him in rage.

“What did you do?” I snarled. The man shrugged.

“I did what had to be done,” he said, “It was for the best.”

“That was my sister, filth!” I screamed at him, grief overcoming any other rational thought, “How dare you! HOW DARE YOU TAKE AWAY MY FAMILY!” I lunged and punched him once across the face before I felt hands holding me back.

“Harlequinn stop!” said Kane from behind me, “It’s no use beating up this guy.”

“Let go of me Kane!” I shouted, “He took away Katie! He killed my baby sister!” I sunk to my knees in anguish and started to cry. The man, fatigued by my punch, turned and walked away holding his face and muttering profanities at me.

“Katie,” I sobbed, “Katie no…” I crawled to her dead body, but Kane still held me back.

“No,” he said, “Don’t go to her. You might get sick too.” I stopped, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the lifeless body of my sister. Her eyes were glassy and were staring off into space. She had died with a feral expression, something that reminded me of an animal with rabies. She looked like she was one of them already with her mouth posed in a snarl and her glassy eyes like mirrors. I reached towards her and more tears ran down my face. I couldn’t handle it. I curled into a ball and cried harder. Kane and Kitt sat beside me, silently comforting me in my grief.

My mind was a blur of memories, all of them the best times when Katie was well. When we’d eaten macarons together at the coffee shop on the corner before the sickness hit. When we’d tag team zombie fighting with Kane and Kitt. Kitt and Katie were partners and now that Katie was gone…

“Kitt,” I croaked, “What are you going to do?” Kitt looked down at me, confused.

“What do you mean?”

“Now that Katie’s gone, what are you going to do about your singular status? Are you going to find a new partner? Or are you just going to stay in camp for the rest of your life?” Kitt shrugged, obviously just as uncomfortable about the topic of Katie as I was.

“I don’t know,” she whispered, “I know I can’t leave camp without a partner, but no one can replace Katie. Nothing will ever be the same without her.” We lapsed into silence once more. After a few moments of dreary quiet, Kane got up and brushed himself off.

“I’m going to go get some food,” he said, “Do any of you want to come with me?” Kitt nodded and got up but I stayed where I was.

“I’m going to stay here,” I said, “Go on ahead.” Kane looked uncertain but he nodded and led Kitt away. I turned back to my sister’s lifeless body. She was only twelve, same age as Kitt, but she looked so much older, now she was gone. Her skin, which used to be a healthy, rosy shade, was now gaunt and pale. It seemed to hang off of her in places, exposing her bones. Her longer black hair was ratted and matted with blood. She almost looked like a demon from the deepest depths of hell.

I reached out to touch her, but hesitated. It was killing me not to cradle her in my arms, but she was sick. I could meet the same fate, and that was worse than death. I relaxed into a cross legged position and closed my eyes. I was going to keep vigil out of respect.

Several hours later, I heard the sound of footsteps behind me. I opened my eyes and realized the sun was slowly going down, casting a golden glow over the camp. Katie was gone, and I only assumed they took her away to be buried. The footsteps grew louder until Kane dropped down beside me. He was holding a paper plate with a roll and some potatoes on it. Judging by the steam rising from the food, it was still warm.

“Hey,” he said gently, “I brought you some food.” I nodded and took the plate. I said nothing as I ate the roll and potatoes slowly. Kane cleared his throat.

“I, uh, I assumed you wanted something to eat,” he said, “You haven’t eaten anything other than a small meal this morning. I thought you could use some sustenance.” He fell into silence and I put the plate down.

“Thank you Kane,” I said softly. Kane looked up, his gorgeous hazel eyes wide.

“For what? The food?”

“For not letting me beat the crap out of that guy for shooting Katie,” I said, “I-I know it was the best thing to do.” I gave him a hug and he hugged me back.

“Of course,” he said. I broke away and coughed. Now it was time for the tough question.

“Would you get mad at me if I didn’t tell you everything?” I asked, “I mean we usually do tell each other everything, but what if some things I had to keep secret?” I waited tensely for Kane’s reply. He bit his lip and stared off into the sun.

“I would be confused on why you wouldn’t tell me what you were thinking,” he said at last, “but it it was something you had to keep a secret from me, then so be it. I wouldn’t get mad if you had no choice. “

“You promise?”

“I swear on my life.” I smiled at him, the first smile since Katie’s death.

“Thank you.” Kane got to his feet and helped me up.

“We’d better get inside,” he said, “Curfew is in five minutes.” Together, we made our way away from Katie’s death spot. I looked back once, with a hollow gaze. I couldn’t feel anything anymore. I felt like I was just a shell. There was no more that anyone could take out of me. And that is why I need to do what I need to do. Kane led me to the door of the room we were staying in and we headed inside. I immediately went to my room, bidding goodnight to Kane and Kitt, who was already curled up on the couch.

“Sweet dreams,” said Kane, disappearing into his own room. I nodded and closed the door. I turned around and sighed. I didn’t know I was holding my breath until I let it all out. I looked around the room and found a backpack lying in the far right corner. I started to pack, putting in the water bottles I stashed in the closet in as well as a jacket, a hat, a ratty pair of gloves, several provisions and my weapons. I also packed some blankets to keep me warm as well. As I slung my pack over my back, I heard a sound come from the other side of the door. I whipped around, but no one was there.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. I’m just being paranoid… Or was I? I hesitated before I turned back around and opened the window. Carefully and quietly, I slipped out of the window, scaled down the building, and dropped onto the ground. I looked back once. This was my chance to turn back, my chance to save my own life. I thought, but turned to the unforgiving ruined city. I was going to go find a cure, even if it took me years.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 62

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:45 pm
AnarchyWolf wrote a review...



Hello, NympheaLily. I'm here to review this second chapter.

So, let's do it!

(I'm afraid that I haven't read the first chapter, so sorry if I misunderstand or just don't understand anything)

My name is Harlequinn Witchatak and this is my story. I am sixteen living in the region of Epsilon, possibly one of the most hated groups in this world.

This is kind of unnecessary. It's a mini-info dump and it doesn't set the mood properly - it instead comes off as rather generic and same-y. You'd do much better to omit those two sentences and start with something striking that'll keep readers interested, rather than explaining her situation right away.

I am sixteen living in the region of Epsilon, possibly one of the most hated groups in this world. I walked...

The tenses clash here. It just stuck out to me as I read. If you're going to keep the first two sentences, then I'd suggest separating the present and past sentences and having them in different paragraphs to make it clear.

I knew the odds were not in my favor.

Welcome to the 74th annual Hunger Games. Joking aside, it does make me think a lot of the hunger games. I think it's just the dystopian feel of the whole piece of prose, and it's not a big thing.

I was staring at the medical tent

We haven't had much description about the medical tent. We haven't had much description about anything, apart from how attractive Kane is. We, as the readers, don't know what you intend for us to picture in our minds as you write, and there's also a lot of mood missing because of the overall lack of description.

I grinned at him and crawled inside. I looked around and sat in a pile of pillows. Kane sat down right across from me and he grinned.

'grinned' is used too many times in this sentence. It sticks out as you read it.

but it it was

If?

I really like the whole premise of finding a cure to this thing that's sweeping the human population. I'm guessing that she did hear someone on the other side of the door, probably Kane, and they'll go after her and go with her. It's perhaps a little bit cliche with the whole attractive-male-friend, but it's only early on in the story and there's plenty of room for it to turn out to be different.

You could also show a lot more, rather than tell. In a lot of places in the story, she just tells us how she feels. It'd be better if we were shown through emotions and similes and metaphors and just more description. It'd add a lot more mood and it's help us to get more of a grasp on her character and her thoughts, and just generally give more depth to your writing.

In places, the description is really good here, like when Katie's corpse is described, and when they go to the red-and-white-house, but I feel like we don't get enough of an idea of the general setting. It makes the whole chapter kind of confusing and vague when the scenes are imagined. It leaves too much up to the reader to fill in. Of course, this could have come in the first chapter, so if that's the case then the ideas and images would carry over and there wouldn't be

Overall, this is a strong chapter that I really enjoyed reading.

-AnarchyWolf




NympheaLily says...


Thanks for your feedback! One thing about the story that you should keep in mind is that this entire thing is being told through a microphone recording. Otherwise, I will make the necessary adjustments.



AnarchyWolf says...


You're welcome :)



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:59 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

The first thing that I noticed was the name of the character. While this doesn't seem to be a fanfiction you have the name "Harlequinn" like the character that happens to be in Batman. I'm not sure if this would be the best name to have if you're planning on doing something with this project is the first thing that I wanted to bring up. I'm sure there are other names that are better than this and can fit your character just as well. Jumping right into this chapter, it seems to be an introductory chapter for this particular character and that this story happens to have multiple POVs.

Multiple point of views is always something that interests me in writing which is something that happened to draw me in. The start of this chapter or more specifically, the starting paragraph is something that I didn't particularly find to be a strong start. This is because you have your character introducing herself for the most cliched opening that there is in writing. It feels lazy in general and lacks originality in that the character introducing themselves to the reader is something that's been done before over and over.

Instead of using this, I suggest starting us off with something that sparks more interest in the reader and something that doesn't have to tell the reader, and rather show them that. If you wrote a scene that connected to the plot and still told us all of that information without having to directly tell us it, it'd work better. We see that this focuses more on the dialogue between the characters and less on descriptions with this piece and I would have liked to see more of a balance throughout the chapter while it still working well.

I hope I helped and have a great day!




NympheaLily says...


I took your edits into consideration and I made a few changes. Please let me know if there are any other problems!



User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:24 pm
Aleta wrote a review...



Hey, Aleta here for a review. In the first paragraph, there was an abundance of , I did this and I did that. Try to tone it down somehow because you have already introduced her as, "My name is this and this is my story". I find the last part of this is my story to be a bit cliche. We already know it's her story. I think if you combined the first two sentences it would sound better.
~
Corrections

My name is Harlequinn Witchatak and this is my story. I am sixteen living in the region of Epsilon, possibly one of the most hated groups in this world.

C:My name is Harlequinn Witchatak and I am a sixteen year old girl living in the region of Epsilon, better known as one of the most hated groups in the world.

(The use of "this" is unnecessary here)


and he looked way older than he was.
C: Just take out the way because it doesn't need to be in that sentence.

Dangit Harlequinn!
C: I think dammit would sound more appropriate here. But that's your call of course.

I whipped around, but no one was there.
C: This is just preference but I feel like turned around would sound nicer.

Anyways, this is all I could find as far as everything goes grammatically. Although I mostly scammed across it, I could tell you are good at writing.




NympheaLily says...


Thank you for your feedback!



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:43 am
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, NympheaLily! Lupa22 here for Review Day! :D

In your first paragraph, you start out with two rather unnecessary sentences giving information that could be expressed where it fits in your chapter. In addition, it is known that a not-interesting beginning consists of, "Hi, my name is ________ and (fact about self)." You do just that here, and I would like to see a better starting.

Grammar: Nothing to say! :)

Content: In the beginning, there's a lot of "I did this" and "I did that." Change up your sentence structures there.

Then there's a lot of description in the last few paragraphs. You mention everything that Harlequinn put into her backpack, which is also quite unnecessary. Again, put that information in as you go along, not in one big dump to the reader.

The second-to-last paragraph you end by stating that Harlequinn heard a noise (that will most likely evolve into something dangerous), but you brush it off quite casually. At least have Harlequinn have a more believable reaction than shrugging it away.

Other than that, your chapter was great! I'm finding your story really interesting. I read your first chapter as well, which was also very good. You're doing an amazing job keeping the reader interested--extremely nice for a writer like you.

So keep posting these chapters, and I'll (most likely :P) keep coming back. If I came across as harsh or mean, I'm really sorry and I didn't mean to sound like that. I hope this review helped!

XOX,
Lupa22




NympheaLily says...


Thank you for your feedback!



erilea says...


You're very welcome!




But even the worst decisions we make don't necessarily remove us from the circle of humanity.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore