Don't Go

by Nobody426

It was my eighty-seventh visit to the United States when I met you for the first. It might have been the eighty-eighth. I lost count.

The first time you looked at me with your clear blue eyes and handed me my coffee, I nearly spilled it in nervousness. My tongue was tied and I started to stutter; I had never been under such a powerful gaze before. You guided me to the side and asked if I was okay. Of course I was okay. How could I not when I was with you?

We talked some, and laughed plenty. You told me about the time when you were five and accidentally killed your fish because you were trying to help it take a bath. I wanted to tell you about my time in Venice so long ago when the clergy declared coffee to be illegal because they believed it to be the devil’s drink. But I couldn’t, because you couldn’t know my story yet. It wasn’t time.

So I told you about some more of my recent travels and sightseeing, pretending to be a rich heiress with nothing better to do. If I slipped up about my past experiences, I could always dismiss that to my unusual enthusiasm for history books.

I loved you.

You told me you were a poor man with wild dreams, wishing and hoping that one day you could travel out of the city to see the world and be in the cities that my enchanting stories promised.

So then the suitcases became our home, and we are the hitchhikers of the universe, moving from China to Argentina to Iceland to New Zealand to Hawaii and more and more and more.

We hurried from place to place, traveling each and every city, breathing in the culture and enjoying the scenery. I might have been clingy and rushed and insecure, but there were so many things to see, and so little time. We haven’t seen Canada or Russia or Brazil yet, and we need to make most of the limited we (you) have.

I didn’t want to lose you; after all, I had waited near a millennial for you already. I was not ready for you to go.

A decade after the beginning you finally noticed my oddness, my peculiar case of immortality that I cannot rid of despite my best effort. You confronted me and I broke down, sobbing into your chest in frustration, bitterness, and anger that have brewed for as long as I have lived.

You held me; your presence was enough to comfort. You did not call me a freak, and for that I am forever thankful. You listened to my incoherent mumblings as I apologized and said sorry sorry sorry sorry all over again and again because I lied to you for ten years when I could have said something all this time. You took me in and reassured me that it was all right, that you weren’t there to judge and just let it all out.

I did. I told you about my insecurity, that you would be gone soon but you just told me to relax because we’ve still got like fifty years and we’ve already spent ten years traveling all over the world all I need is you. I told you about my suicide attempts, how I would try my best to catch the tuberculosis or the Black Plague or getting excited when handguns are made available because of this miserable long existence. But you would just hush me and cry on my behalf and whisper I’m here, I’m here, I’m here… to my ear.

We recovered and I wanted to show you around Earth with a renewed vigor. There’s still Antarcticas and Saharas and Mt. Everests to conquer, there’s still Easter Islands and Great Walls of China and Isles of Rhodes to see.

You say that we have enough time for everything but we don’t— I had gone around with Alexandria and James and Lillian and Elizabeth and George before but none of them had seen everything. I haven’t even seen all of everything yet. I needed to show you the world; it was your dream.

But you said seeing the world is a poor man’s dream and now that I have you I am no longer poor. I don’t understand. But look! We need to catch that train. Let’s get to Milan first and then we can talk.

Then you’re slowing down. Why? You said you promised that you would keep up with me, even though you couldn’t carry me around anymore. Remember your promise just some times ago? I know it wasn’t yesterday but it wasn’t that long. You’re tired a lot lately, and your hair was much thinner and your face had many more wrinkles. You still stare at me with those beautiful blue eyes and dismiss my concerns with an easy I’m just sick excuse, but I knew that was not all.

What is happening? Why wouldn’t you tell me, I swore that I would try to understand? We are making more and more stops and you ar—

--wait no

d o n ’ t

g

o

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:02 pm
martinasxo wrote a review...

Really liked the flow of the story, and how effortless the characters seem to sound when together. I'm not huge on the genre of "immortal falls in love with mortal" because all the stories seem to sound the same to be, but yours was quite different. I liked how you described their little stories in the beginning about killing her fish, almost spilling coffee on herself, and so on. It gave that extra detail needed to give the characters some charismatic, likable traits and I enjoyed that.
The ending was very sad, knowing that all of us mortals age so quickly, quickly enough that we may not also get to do everything we want in life (like travel EVERYWHERE around the world) so getting that perspective from an immortal was interesting. The visual description of the aging was perfect.
Overall I enjoyed reading this work! I hope you continue to work on others!

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 pm
rockycait wrote a review...

By the last paragraph I had goose bumps, and when I got to the last sentence I cried. This is very well written and the idea flowed nicely, like you were talking at someone's funeral, or reciting a memoir of them. I felt that you portrayed her grief and anticipation and anguish brilliantly. I only caught a few mistakes but your first reviewer has already covered those. You should try your hand at poetry, you have a good grasp on the beauty and feelings certain words bring as well as a good way to describe emotions. :)

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:31 pm
Snazzy wrote a review...

Hello! :D
Snazzy here for a review! :) First of all, I like this! It was (and still is) a very nice short story. :D Anyway...onto the nitpicks. :D

"You listened to my incoherent mumblings as I apologized and said sorry sorry sorry sorry all over again and again because I lied to you for ten years when I could of said something all this time."

Read this out loud. See how it's sort of hard to say this in one breath? :) Just add a little bit of punctuation to it. :)

"You listened to my incoherent mumblings as I apologized, saying sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry all over again and again...because I lied to you for ten years, when I could of said something all this time."

This is just the main thing I saw (besides the things mentioned by Inked) . :) Other than that, I think this is really good! Great job, and keep writing! :D

~Snazzy :)
Stay Awesome :)

Nobody426 says...

Thank you so much for the review! I'll review and/or edit this passage for sure. :)

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:23 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello there! And welcome to YWS, hope you enjoy your self here ~

Alright, right off the bat, the first sentence pulls me out again. Why would anyone be counting their visits to the US? The point of it isn't really significant. Yeah, he's been there a couple times, but do we really have to know around the time he visited so long after? Well, it's at least good that it wasn't a cliche where the narrator meets them the first or second time around. But perhaps find a much more engaging introduction to pull us in.

But then the narration spills into the 'love at first sight' cliche, where the narrator is 'instantly struck by the other's beauty'. Love stories are usually fairly hard to write, because most are really over done. And right now, I'm not hooked. I'm more bored. Beauty isn't everything :/

Alright, so this seems like everything is getting rushed into. She's serving him coffee. And then they're suddenly talking. Didn't they just meet? She has a job to do. This probably isn't the best time. If anything, try to not rush into things, because that's always a huge fault that people have when writing love stories. Everything goes by waaaaay too fast.

I loved you.

Just yesterday I had a conversation with my step sisters and father about love. Love is when you would do anything for the other person. You put their every need before your own so that you can make them happy. Infatuation or lust is what's happening here. The narrator has just met this person and they think their world revolves around this person. You could just add the word 'thought' into there. It'd make more sense.

All of this feels very rushed, and there isn't much depth to the love at all. Seriously. The narrator meets the person and suddenly they go on a 'magic carpet ride' to see the rest of the world before the mortal dies. WTH. THEY JUST MET. There aren't any transitions between anything, and overall, it's not that interesting. Sure, immortal twist, but of course the immortal is lonely. That's how everything is. I strongly recommend that you take this story and twist it into a completely different direction. Perhaps have the immortal being much more arrogant, even just using the moral at first. Have some benefit for them.

This entire time, having it in second person was really interesting, and I did like that, even if it caught me off guard for a beginning. There's a lot of ambiguity between the narrator and their lover (since I can't really tell who is what gender, no names, etc, but eh). That is different, though I'm not really sure it adds a lot to the story. If anything, just kind of makes things more confusing, but I commend you for taking this path less chosen.

To be honest, I feel like this topic would fit more as a poem, since there isn't any real connection that can be made within short stories between the characters and their personalities are really vague. It has a more flowy, metaphorical feeling to it, sort of telling of a story without too much depth, but once again, this one felt underdeveloped as a story. Try to go back through and add more meat to the story so we can really identify as the 'you' in the story.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, just love stories are hard to write as not sounding cliche. I wish you luck in your writing endeavors (and I assure you, the writing was not bad. More the plot). Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

Nobody426 says...

Thanks for the review! I'm a bit confused on a few of your points--
the narrator has referred to herself pretending as a "rich heiress" before, and cited how the mortal as a "poor man" (and references to his masculinity) multiple times. Perhaps you didn't catch that throughout the story? I do want to keep them as vague as possible, though, so that the story can have a more universal appeal thematically.
You've mentioned over and over again that a love story is "cliche", as if it is a bad thing. Why would it be a bad thing? A lot of successful literature is made from materials that are reused by many, doesn't it just prove that love stories do have a greater appeal to the universal audience? Sorry, I don't mean to argue here, but I just want some clarification as to why that would be a negative thing.
I've never experienced love, and I wouldn't know, but I'm a bit of a romantic and think that people can get together as fast or as slow as they want if they are meant to be. Sure, Romeo and Juliet ended a tragedy, but they just took three days to get married as well.
I guess I take it as my artistic license to create the intended ambiguity to the story so you couldn't really tell the passage of time. It's rushed because it's the narrator's reflection on the past. It is not meant to be an accurate (or unbiased) account of their complete history. Is there any specific technicalities I can change to express that?
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the review. I just don't see anything but "love is cliche" from you aka is there any substantial changes I may make to change this fic for the better? Thanks.

Wolfare1 says...

Oh, the rich heiress I definitely didn't catch xD Sorry about that, but I assumed the saying 'poor man' was more generalized as an idiom of sorts.

And what I meant by cliche is it seems over done, like the story falls into the same pattern of the stereotypical love story. Everything too perfectly crafted and I assumed it was supposed to be a full blown story of them from the ending. It switches into present tense, and for some reason, I didn't see it as switching from reminiscing, as opposed to another step of the building story. That was probably just an error on my part.

The ambiguity was fine, I was merely pointing out how it isn't done as often and that I found interesting and then I didn't really see what it did for the story, but it makes more sense now.

Sorry if my review was centered around it being cliche, but I still stick to my point that it had all felt rushed, even for reminiscing. Such as the day they first met. Plus I spent so much time on this point because it didn't feel any different from 'the average', nothing that really pulled me in.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:11 pm
Inked wrote a review...

In the first paragraph, you put, the first rather than, the first time.
In the second paragraph, you mention , clear blue eyes. I personally love describing eyes, you can tell a lot about a character by just describing their eyes.
third paragraph, don't tell me what happened. Show me! Imagery is essential in many good pieces of writing.
fourth paragraph, this was a cute paragraph that you could maybe reword, but how can you just put I LOVED YOU. I haven't got that emotion out of the paragraphs above.
the rest of this captured my attention it was cute then at the end sad, and she has an almost childlike nature. She wants impossible things. And it's CuTe until she realizes she can't have any thing she wants.
This is a good piece it needs a little work, it's a little bit of list like. But it was nice.
have a wonderful day!
~Inked

Nobody426 says...

Thank you so much for your review! These are all valid points, I'll definitely do my best to edit the story for the better.

If you're paranoid that you're making your novel worse with each passing decision clap your hands
— Panikos