z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

All alone, Once again

by Nikkythecatlover12


A fragile soul enters the world,

Bathed in love from Mom and Dad.

Bright and sharp, she shines with promise,

But expectations weigh her down.

Her brother, once a trusted friend,

Turns cruel, a sudden twist of fate.

Self-doubt grows as she gains weight,

Under the weight of parental demands.

Seeking solace, she finds a pretty girl,

She gives kind words and promises of friendship.

But pretty turns sharp just as brother, and kindness fades,

Leaving her alone, once again.

Undeterred, she seeks a new companion,

A funny soul who brings joy and laughter.

But drama's grip pulls their trusted friendship apart,

Leaving her alone, once again.

Yet hope flickers, a spark in the dark,

A beautiful soul reaches out to her.

Their bond grows, unbreakable and true,

Best friends forging a path together.

But time erodes even the strongest ties,

Leaving fragments of what used to be.

Alone she stands, amidst the ruins,

All alone, once again.

Struggling with weight, she battles demons,

Invisible to those who claim she's fine.

Skipping meals, a desperate attempt,

To fit the mold, to be seen as pretty.

Intelligent, yes, but lacking talent,

A constant reminder of her perceived flaws.

Sadness seeps into her weary bones,

Depression's grip tightens day by day.

In her vulnerability, trust is shattered,

Fear grips her heart, leaving scars unseen.

All alone she navigates this cruel world,

A solitary soul, once again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 233
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:16 pm
TimelessMage wrote a review...



First things first! Welcome, newcomer. Welcome to the wonderful and crazy world of poetry, where anything goes, where we can create whole worlds in stanzas, and destroy norms in a few lines.

A quick summary of the poem to make sure that I am understanding this right:
a female is born, and her brother starts off as a friend, but pushes her away. Gripped by the pressures that both society and her parents push onto her, she tries to find her identity in friends, two other people that, though different, both push her away.
Plagued by loneliness in a (in her perspective) ruined world, she desperately tries to conform to the world's standards of perfection. Scarred and hardened, she navigates life with her guard up, and people held at arms length.

Certainly a poem that strikes at the heart, and touches on the untold tales of the soul. I quite enjoyed it.

I think that my favorite line is "But time erodes even the strongest ties,". It lends a melancholy to the friendship that makes it seem like the friendship was real, even though it feels like a farse when it draws to a close. And the internal alliteration was beautiful. I may have to -ahem- borrow this line for use in some of my works.

My suggestion? I would aim for consistency, or at least separate stanzas. In poetry, we can do whatever we want. But one thing that I found is that when telling stories, having stanzas help distill the ideas that you want conveyed is quite useful. Don't get me wrong- single stanza poems can be great, especially for musings or something singular and concrete. But I think that this poem lends itself more to a different structure.

Anyways, this was an enjoyable read, and something that plucked the heartstrings.




User avatar


Points: 279
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:55 am
Kassie28 wrote a review...



When I read this poem, I see myself. I see the harsh reality of being a girl and wanting to keep friendships but it's impossible. That one true friend who would be there by one's side forever but at the end of the day we look in the mirror and see ourselves. All our failed attempts at friendships, at life. Drama will always break everything and there is nothing left for us to do. My father always told me "You come into this world alone and you leave this world alone." I always think of this because I had my family but looking at it now I see what he means. I see the truth.
I love what I have read and I will think about this poem for days to come. Thank you.





I can factcheck ur flashback outfits
— SirenCymbaline