Surviving Night

by Nightlyowl

In the darkness where phantoms creep
And trees are spindly giants
Grows a bud – and then a flower
Under Luna’s watchful eye.
Glitter down! – Oh stars of legend,
Give forth your blessing light
So that my Lilly, ever small,
Can grow amongst the terrors in the night.

Do not fear – my little Lilly
Your light will carry on
Just grow – grow – my little flower
Spread your beauty throughout the night
Hold fast little flower
Never hang your dainty head
Ignore the shadows – oh the shadows! –
That creep closer to your bed.

Do not shy – my brave young beauty –
From the light of gleaming stars.
Just stand up to clawing fingers
Trying hard to tear you down.
There’s a chill – my dearest Lilly
Carried on a howling wind,
Screeching curses – snarling lies –
The tainted breath of those who sinned.

Bare boned boughs are plagued by birds
Crows now haunted by regret
Their feathers once were soft
But tainted now – They’re black –
Oh the horror brought by lies! –
Empty promises of love of light – are whispered in your ear
But don’t you trust them – shining beauty!—
For they’re just phantoms that you hear.

Juniper wrote a review...

Hey Owl, I'm June,

I love the tone you set forth at the beginning of this poem. It's builds suspense, and you managed to carry it through until the end of your poem.

Of the things I didn't like about this poem, I didn't understand the use of dashes throughout the poem, which usually signifies a sharp break and change in the flow of things. Here, however, it feels like the majority of these dashed could stand to be replaced with commas to keep the flow of the poem moving at a steady rate.

I do want to point out:

But don’t you trust them – shinning beauty!—
Fore they’re just phantoms that you hear.

•Assuming that her beauty shines, as in radiates, I think the word you want to use here is shining, dear, with a singular N.

• In the next line, fore should be for, eliminating the E.

You should be really proud of your rhyme scheme throughout this poem. It contributed to the interest of the poem and propelled it forward. Rhyme is not an easy device to master flawlessly, but here, you seem to have incorporated it very well.

Happy review day
June

Rainn wrote a review...

Wow! Impressive work! I love the form. You have a great flow, and I absolutely love the simple rhyming scheme you have going on.
One thing though: The second to last stanza is a bit....off? shaky? Something like that.

Quote:

"Do not shy – my brave young beauty –
From the light of gleaming stars
Just stand up to clawing fingers
Trying hard to tear you down.
There’s a chill – my dearest Lilly
Carried on a howling wind,
Screeching curses – snarling lies –
The tainted breath of those who sinned."

The line in bold(4th from top) seems out of place. When I read it, it makes me think of the end of the stanza or poem. I don't think you have the right word count...I am unsure but something does not flow right.

I loved your imagery and representation. Overall, I would rate this poem a 9.8/10.
You have great talent, so keep writing. Please :)

Keep it up!!

~Rainn

ImHero wrote a review...

Nitpick:
The creep closer to your bed

So the flow of them poem is great. Although since you made the last line ryhme with the one two lines above it; it throws of the flow of third line in each stanza, but only slightly. I read it as every two lines because most poems have a consistent rhyme scheme that goes more than yours.

"The tainted breath of those who sinned." This was presented in a way where it was needed but it seemed like it forced the rhyme scheme. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why but it seemed to strain the flow a little bit. And to remind you I am being very harsh.

The content seems to be good as-well. I mean you discuss the emotions of motherhood in a positive way. It seems like it wasn't written for a particular reason; like to stop world hunger ect. but I feel it is still okay to write about simple feelings and emotions in poetry, I mean I do all the time! You do have a theme but it is just one that doesn't try to fix anything with the world.

__

There was nothing I really disagreed with in this review. I nit-picked the things I would probably do a little differently but that does not make them wrong in any sense. You seem to be an avid Poetry Writer like myself so I can see why you did things as you did and this poem. I am glad I had the chance to review because it was quite difficult!

Thanks !

Stucture/flow: 5.8/6
Emotion: 6/6
content: 5.8/6

malinda542 wrote a review...

The rhythm in this is beautiful, it gives this a musical like quality that really brings the poem to life. The imagery in this is just wonderful, I can just picture this beautiful lily rising up in this dark forest, a wonderful symbol. This is almost like a narrative poem, it tells a story however if that was your intention I definitely feel like this could go on in separate parts or a little bit longer. However the theme and overall effect of the poem is chilling and hauntingly beautiful.

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour