Stella Jones and the Great Man Hunt (extract)

by NightWriter

“Stella Jones, in my office, now.”

Megan’s voice is chipped, similar to her nailpolish. Across our small divider, Madison half shrugs at me. She’s efficient like that. In fact, she probably expected this.

I rise as smoothly as I can in my new platforms. Earlier, I saw Miss Uptight at the front desk eyeing them off, so I’m trying to look all professional, like I know how to walk in shoes that set me ten feet above everyone else.

As I tap across the length of the room, I brush down my cream pencil skirt, nervously maybe. Discreetly, I do up the second-to-top button on my black blouse. I don’t particularly want my boss seeing more than she needs to.

I’ve walked past twelve people now and they’ve all given me looks, some sympathetic, others plain malicious. It’s not my fault I wear better clothes than them.

Megan’s office is glass, so I see her fuming before I enter. Her first words are spoken in a very bad drawl. “Oh look, the walking Eiffel Tower.”

I nod. No need to be nice to this one. Sitting upright across from Megan, I gesture to her desk, where the reason for the whole dilemma sits innocently. Megan swipes a finger over the glossy cover of Single or Not and frowns. I study the cover as its owner is helplessly picked up and flicked through. The magazine is aimed at teenaged girls. It’s supposed to be bubbly, edgy and cheerful. Unfortunately, it looks like Amie, the visual design girl, has had her usual so called ‘touch’ influenced by her recent breakup. The largest caption reads, “How To Make Him Sorry!” and she’s used a truly awful blue colour scheme. I don’t know what was trying to achieve there.

I frown significantly as Megan glares at another tween pop star who happens to be gracing the cover of our February issue. The poor covergirl’s probably had a breakup in the past year and has been squeezed for information on how she made the unfortunate bloke pay. I’d guess that over fifty percent of the interview comes from Hedi – interview girl – ‘s head. The interviews have been truly rubbish since Rachel Saxon left last spring. She got a job offer for Marie Claire and like any of us would at the golden opportunity, she abandoned ship and ran as fast as her Gucci-clad feet would carry her.

I can roll my eyes right now, because none of the feature problems are even remotely my fault. Finally, after what I suppose Megan thinks is a ‘tantalizing, guilt enforcing’ silence, devil-woman speaks.

“Stella, do you remember Karina, age fourteen?”

I blink mildly. Of course I don’t remember her. I rarely even read the names of the wimps I write back to.

Megan purses her lips and flips the magazine forward a few pages, reciting carefully, “Dear Stella, I just bought the cutest blue hoodie from Supré, only to have my ex-best friend of two weeks buy the same one, except pink! We both wore it at school on the same day and now everyone thinks we’re friends! What do I do!”

She slams the innocent magazine onto the glass desktop and I take the opportunity, sliding it meaningfully towards me, swishing it around to face me. I read the reply in a false voice, dripping with sarcasm, holding my signature archness above it.

“Oh Karina, what a disaster. I’m joking. You’re fourteen, yes?”

I pause for a breath, mortified. This wasn’t supposed to hit pages.

“Well, at fourteen, everything is the end of the world. She probably eats the same nutella sandwiches as you. How’s that for newsbreaking?”

I pause again. I totally forgot about this. It was a joke, a result of a bad mood. I meant to delete it and rewrite it later.

“…Well, thing is; you’ll probably be back friends again with your ex-bffl in like, a week. It works that way at your age. And you know what they say: it’s not about what everyone else thinks, rather about how you feel about yourself.

Oh and never mind about the hoodies. They were from Supré, you say? Well they were probably ugly anyway.”

I try my best to feign nonchalance. I must’ve gotten lazy and just chucked this one on the email with the other bulk and intern Marley must not have reviewed. Airhead.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:52 pm
GoAmazons wrote a review...

Hello,
I hope you don't mind me giving you a bit of my mind on your extract.

First of all, I like your flow. It's very engaging. It was easy for me to follow your main character, but sometimes, she gives away too much. I mean her mind gives answers to what is obvious already by her actions (the way she touches her clothes and blink, for example).

I don't know anything about the story plot. I assume it's a kind of teens agency. Are you sure fourteen years old girl can actually work there? It's the only question that popped up in my head when she mentioned someone as her "boss".

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:56 am

First Impression: This is quite a well constructed scene here. I genuinely I had anything bad to say on this one really, it flowed very well, there was so much being stiched together rather nicely from the reactions of the characters, the minute details of the surroundings and the situation itself.

“Stella Jones, in my office, now.”

Oooh, I love how much detail you manage to bring up with this very simple scene here. Its just someone getting up to go to see their boss after being called into the office which is usually a one line thing, but here we get to see their opinion of the boss, perhaps a bit of the relationship they have and bits of their personality from what they think of the things they're wearing. Its a very powerful start here, and I'm loving it. :D

Well...that gives us a few insights as to what sort of workplace this might be and the way that the boss greets her tells you pretty quickly exactly what sort of person this boss happens to be here. Well, that makes for a rather powerful piece here at any rate, and I'm very interested to see where this is going here. So far, its gotten my attention.

Hmm...well, I'm so far really loving the light details that you're bringing up even as you convey the feelings and emotions that these characters are experiencing here. It all comes together rather nicely to make a great scene here, although I can't tell if this is an opening scene or not considering that this is an extract.

Ooooh, this is heading in an interesting direction, I have a slight gist of where this might be going and it looks like just maybe the boss's reaction here is somewhat justified at the moment, cause it does look like this could be something that can potentially cause a bad mood.

Well yup, that went about as well as one can hope. It was actually better than I was expecting to see in a worst case scenario, but I suppose the boss there would take that quite seriously. This also makes for an almost cliffhangery ending too...so overall, a pretty solid scene here in this extract.

Overall: Overall, this makes for a pretty neat little scene, if this was maybe intended to be the first piece of a story, I'd say this makes for a great start, and just as a scene in a story, this is done really well here. :D

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:08 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hey there! So obviously I got attracted to this because of the name :P

I. NITPICKS

Megan’s voice is chipped, similar to her nailpolish.

This is a pretty image, but I don't understand what it's supposed to mean.

Sitting upright across from Megan, I gesture to her desk,

See, you never actually told us about Stella sitting down.

II. OVERALL

This was really good! I love your descriptions, your tone, it all goes really well together. A few things I'd have to ask about, "Single or Not" seems like a strange title for a teen magazine. I don't know. But I do like the idea overall. I'd love to see the secret mind of an agony aunt. Only thing is- we don't actually hear that Stella is an agony aunt until Megan starts reading the email. Maybe mention what it is that she was doing in her office before she got called out? But those are only small things. Overall I really enjoyed it, and I'm afraid I don't have much else to say!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

NightWriter says...

Hey Stella,

Haha, yeah I just noticed the name.

Thank you for your review, I've taken it into account.

I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, and I look forward to reading some of your own!

NightWriter x

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind