z

Young Writers Society



The Child

by Nicola


This is another true story book. The story is about a six year old girl named Sheila who was abandoned by her mother on a highway when she was only four years old.She was placed in a class for severely retarded children after committing an atrocious act of violence against another child. Buy the book to find out more.

The book is written by Torey Hayden she is the teacher in the book who teaches Sheila.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 11

Donate
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:51 am
docyuris85 wrote a review...



Torey is a character in the novel that works, specifically, with children with unknown disabilities. Like Sheila, other students in the novel cannot be placed into the regular education system due to their struggles. This class, in the novel, is called the “garbage class”, and this is a metaphorical reference to how special needs children are treated. Most students in the “garbage class” are not even expected to advance forward, and Sheila remains as one of them. This was the belief of all of the educators in the school, except for Torey. When Sheila first enters the classroom of Torey, the child refuses to communicate with her teacher. Later, she pulls the eyeballs out of a goldfish, and this scene contains grotesque imagery. Despite Sheila’s naughty acts, Torey remains calm and caring. Scenes like these set stage to describe the struggles ahead to restore Sheila back to normal.




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:47 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



I've heard of this one actually though I think it was a while ago and I wasn't too interested at the time. I'll add it to my list. (And yeah, for anyone who can't tell I'm expanding my book list. I do this every so often so that I always have lots of books to choose from when it gets to christmas or my birthday. I also happen to be currently trying to answer all the unanswered posts on the site so as they say it gives me the chance to kill two birds with one stone.)





cron
"Who am I? I'm just a writer. I write things down. I walk through your dreams and invent the future."
— Richard Siken