z

Young Writers Society


12+

Books and Photographs

by NerdGeek


The first time he saw her, she was hunched over a thick book. Her round tortoise-shell glasses slipped to the tip of her nose as she dipped her head into the pages of the novel. What caught his attention was the expression on her face that seemed to change with every word and the way her pupils flitted back and forth, trying to read as fast as the scene was unfolding in her mind. Staring across the library, he noticed how her lips parted slightly while she was reading. He saw how her fingers clutched the sleeves of the oversized sweater she was wearing. He chuckled slightly when he thought of how the large cushioned two-seater swallowed her petite body. Suddenly remembering his history report that was due the next day, he looked down at his own book, another collection of photographs from the Great Depression. He smiled at Mr. Hamilton, the librarian, as he checked out his book, then stole another glance at the girl before leaving the library.

All that day and the next, Robert was thinking about the girl at the library. He had never seen someone so absorbed in a book like that. Most of his friends were photographers, like him, and they didn’t do or talk about much else. However, Robert loved reading, especially historical fiction. The stories he read transported him to places he couldn’t capture with a camera lens. He liked thinking of historical fiction as a picture of the past that looks different in each person’s mind.

That weekend, Robert returned to the library, secretly hoping to see the girl. She was sitting in the same sofa that he had seen her in a few days earlier. This time, however, she was almost near the end of her book. Today, he noticed she was reading slower, turning every page as if they were the fragile leaves of an ancient manuscript. He also saw the melancholic expression on her face as she nearer to the final chapter. Robert picked a book from the shelves, something about Lincoln’s assassination, but it was mostly so he could watch the girl without looking too creepy. After some time, the girl read the last sentence. Carefully, she closed the novel and looked up at the neighboring bookshelf. Robert could see her eyes water as she took a deep breath and ran her fingers over the book jacket for a few minutes. Finally, the girl got up, picked up her army green pack, and walked over to Mr. Hamilton’s desk.

“Finished the last in the series, have you?”

In a soft voice that carried across the room, which was mostly empty except for Robert and a couple of kids mooching off the free wifi, she said, “Yeah. I can’t believe that Sansa died; he and Will were just becoming friends.”

With a knowing nod, Mr. Hamilton said, “Well, come back when you’re ready. I have the perfect rebound book for you.”

“You’re the best, Mr. Hamilton.”

“See ya, Elle,” he replied as she walked past Robert and out of the library.

Robert looked out of the window and at Elle as she walked to her car and drove out of the parking lot.

He walked over to Mr. Hamilton’s desk and saw the book that the girl had checked in. Picking it up, he asked, “May I have the first book in this series, Mr. Hamilton?”

With a slightly mischievous grin, Mr. Hamilton said, “Sure, Robert. Let me go get it for you.” He walked to a short shelf labeled INBOUND and retrieved a thick novel with a purple book jacket from the top of one of his notoriously precarious stacks. Handing it to Robert, he said, “I’ve got to warn you, once you finish this book, there’s no turning back. You’ll absolutely have to finish the series.”

Robert shook his head and smiled. “Sure thing, Mr. Hamilton. See ya Monday.” With that, Robert left the library and biked home.

On Monday, Robert hoped to see Elle at school. He recalled seeing her in his AP Lit class before, and thought he might run into her. Although he passed her in the halls a couple of times that day, she was walking quickly, linking arms with one of her close friends. It was the same the next day, and on Wednesday, Robert had not even seen her. On Thursday, however, Robert had had better luck.

Robert was walking to his favorite place to take photographs. It was a small cemetery near a ballet school. During that time of year, the many trees would take on their shades of yellow, orange, red, purple, and brown. Robert loved hearing the dry leaves and grass crunch under his boots. Sometimes, he would sit at the base of a strong oak and read a book or just listen to the sounds of nature. That day, though, he went to take photos of the tombstones. A few of his friends teased him about it, saying he was being a creep or that he was talking to the ghosts. However, the photographs were tied to his fascination with history. Often, he would look up the family histories of the names on the stones. For most of the names, he could trace their lineage for several generations. Others, however, did not appear in any of his research. Robert had a detailed map of his own family’s history, as well.

When Robert arrived at the cemetery, he moved to a corner he had not yet photographed and crouched to get a better angle of the tombstone he began working on. At least an hour had passed by, but it felt like only minutes to him. Soft crunching sounds snapped Robert out of his trance-like state, and he looked over his shoulder to see a girl in a blue leotard and sweatpants standing behind him.

Elle had just finished practice. Normally, she would walk with her friends to get fro-yo, but she was not feeling up to it that day. The book hangover had not yet worn off, and she was still mourning Sansa’s untimely death. The tiny graveyard was on the way to her house, and she thought it would be fitting to think about him there. While wandering through the graveyard, Elle admired the beautiful colors of the oak trees. After a while, Elle heard a camera snapping somewhere in the cemetery. Puzzled, she decided to investigate.

The snapping sounds grew louder, and finally she saw the source. A lanky guy, most likely not much older than she, was hunched over a tomb, adjusting his lens to get a better shot. He quickly turned around, and Elle, realizing she had startled him, gave him a wide smile. He stood and hung the camera around his neck. She chuckled inwardly as she noticed the way the spray of freckles across the bridge of his nose shifted when he smiled back at her.

“Sorry, if I surprised you. I was just wandering around when I heard your camera and I decided to investigate.”

Brushing the chocolate brown hair from his forehead, the stranger replied, “Oh, no problem at all. Hey, haven’t I seen you around in school? You go to the high school just up the road, right? I’m Robert, by the way.” Robert extended his hand.

Pleased that Robert had noticed her, Elle smiled a little wider and gave him her hand to shake. “Yeah! My name is Elle. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.”

“Would you mind if I asked why you were taking pictures of the graves?”

Robert chuckled, then explained how he traced the lineage of the people in the cemetery.

“Wow, that’s so interesting. Could I see some of your photos?” Elle moved to Robert’s side as he took his phone out of his pocket. She noticed that he bit the corner of his lower lip.

Elle was amazed by Robert’s photographs. The angles and filters he used gave his collection a professional look. “Do you sell these,” she asked.

Flattered, Robert’s cheeks went pink. “No. Actually, I’ve never thought about selling them. Why? Are they good?”

“Are they good? They’re great! You know, I have a cousin that owns a gallery and she loves seeing new artists. She’s out of town most of the year, but when she visits I could introduce her to you, if you’d like.”

“Wow. That would be amazing, if you could. Thank you so much.”

“Of course. Let me give you my number so we can talk later.” Elle took Robert’s phone and quickly put in her contact information. She gave him her own phone so he could do the same. Checking her watch, Elle said, “Oh, I’ve gotta go, Robert. Text you later?”

A little bit flustered by how his first conversation with Elle went, Robert replied, “Uh, yeah. Sure thing.”

Elle gave him a quick wave as she trotted out of the cemetery and down the road. On her way home, she wasn’t thinking about Sansa. Robert was on her mind.

For the rest of that week and the weeks after, Elle and Robert texted each other and chatted whenever they met eat other in the school halls, the library, and occasionally the cemetery. Robert went to one of Elle’s dance recitals and met her best friend, Judy. She found out that he was on book four of their favorite series, and all three geeked out together. Elle had emailed her cousin some of Robert’s photos, and she agreed that she would love to display them at her next showing.

One day, near the end of autumn, both of their families, including Judy, had a barbecue in the park. It was a mild day, with a slight breeze. Robert was sitting a little farther away from the main group, watching them laugh and talk. He looked at Elle. The breeze rustled her strawberry blonde hair, which was hanging loose around her shoulders. She was laughing and biting down on a cookie at the same time, which made her nose wrinkle in the cutest way. Robert summoned up his courage, determined to ask her out before the day was over.

Later, as the sun fell and the stars twinkled in the sky, the party decided to pack up and head home. The adults formed a group and walked ahead while they talked about the upcoming election. Judy, Elle, and Robert hung back and walked side by side down the sidewalk. Together, they talked for a while until Robert cleared his throat. “Judy? Would you mind giving Elle and me a minute?”

Judy winked at Robert, then gave Elle a knowing look before trotting off to contribute her two cents to the adults’ conversation, making them both chuckle. Elle tilted her head back to stare at the stars. Robert kept his eyes on her. When she turned to face him, she saw him smile with a look she could not quite describe. “Elle, can I ask you something?”

She looked into his eyes. “Yeah, go ahead.”

“I’m not exactly sure how I should say this so, here goes. I really like you, Elle. As more than just a friend. I think you’re smart and funny and caring. Will you go out with me?”

“Of course, I’d love to go out with you.”

Looking visibly relieved, Robert sighed and said, “OK, great. Um, how about I pick you up on Sunday at 3:00?”

“That sounds wonderful.” Elle smiled at him, then took his hand. They walked together until it was time to split up. Elle blew him a kiss, then turned to go home.

That Sunday, Judy came over to have lunch and help Elle get ready for her date. “Oh, you look so cute! You’re going to have a great time with Robert.”

“You think so? The sweater doesn’t look weird?”

“Yes! Robert has my seal of approval, and if he doesn’t like your sweaters then too bad for him.” She winked just as the doorbell rang. “That’s him!”

The girls went down the stairs and Elle’s father opened the door. The two shook hands, and Robert stepped inside. Elle thought he looked especially handsome in the new leather jacket he was wearing. He was also holding two motorcycle helmets, one fullface for himself and a half helmet for her. He smiled when he saw Elle. She smiled back and, pointing to the helmets, gave him a quizzical look.

“Oh, I borrowed my dad’s motorcycle. I remember you saying that you’d like to take a ride, so why not now?”

“Sounds fun, Robert.” She turned to her father, kissed him on the cheek, and said, “We’ll be back before 10:00, Dad.” He smiled at the both of them and said, “Have fun.”

Taking her hand, Robert walked down the steps and to the motorcycle. He helped her snap on the helmet and they rode off.

First, Robert took Elle to the movie theater, and they watched a comedy and ate popcorn. Afterwards, they went for dinner and talked long after they had finished eating. At around 8 o’clock, they left the restaurant and Robert said, “Elle, do want to get some fro-yo?”

“Naturally. No one in their right mind turns down fro-yo!” Laughing, they walked hand in hand down the street.

On their way back, Elle and Robert passed by a bookstore, which was surprisingly still open. Elle turned to look into the window and saw one of her favorite books in the window display. “Robert! Look, they have a hardcover version of my book! Can we go in just for a few minutes, please?”

Robert opened the door for her. Elle was already browsing the shelves, and both of them began talking about different books they liked and ones they wanted to read. They ended up wandering the store until closing time. Robert bought Elle the hardcover version, then they walked back to his motorcycle. Before Robert put on his helmet, Elle took his face in her hands and pressed her lips to his. He was startled at first, but Robert rested his hands on her waist and drew her in closer. They kissed for a moment in the moonlight. Elle pulled away and said, “I had so much fun tonight.”

Robert smiled and nodded his agreement.

Later, they arrived at Elle’s house and he walked her to the door. They kissed again.

“Goodnight, Robert.”

“Goodnight, Elle.”

Elle and Robert dated throughout their junior and senior years of high school. Before moving away to college, they decided to visit the library where Robert had first seen Elle reading their favorite book series. He had since told her the story of how he first saw her. After browsing the shelves and reminiscing together, they walked over to Mr. Hamilton’s desk to return the last book, the one Elle had been reading that day. Then they left the library, Robert’s pinkie finger curled around Elle’s.

With a satisfied smile on his face, Mr. Hamilton watched them go. Then he texted his wife, their former AP Lit teacher. “Mission Ellebert is complete.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 529
Reviews: 54

Donate
Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:33 pm
View Likes
postmalone wrote a review...



No. This can't be possible. This...I can't understand how and why you wrote this. I mean, C'mon. This is way too adorable. Filled with sweet events and cute little looks and happy times.

My heart: Why, brain why? Why must you hit the follow button and dig into this short story???

My brain: Because this is adorable!

Heart: but-

Brain: shush and do the review. No buts.

Heart: I can't even

Brain: okay I'm taking over. Time for a review..... *ominous music plays* Oops, wrong music! *happy, light music plays* That's good.

Fin.

Holy crap, wow! Can I say it again? Wow!! This story was so amazing!! I just wrote a love story of my own based on a dream I had where I fell in love with Cameron Dallas <33 (so hot) but seriously how did you think up such a cute little story? NerdGeek you have some mad talent and skill. I really want to see more work from you! And soon! :)

I don't remember seeing any grammatical mistakes or any punctuation missing. Typos. Yada, yada, yada. You wrote this splendidly. Wait, I never use the word splendid. Or splendidly. Oh, never mind.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this. The last line is awesome as well. It was a unique and wonderful and cunning way to end the story. Great job! I am yet another satisfied fan.

:) :) have a splendid day, friend! XD

~Freak




NerdGeek says...


Thank you so much for this review! I'm so happy you liked my work so much; I've been in a sort of writing slump, and this encourages me to start writing more. Thank you again, you're a wonderful person!



postmalone says...


And so are you :)



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 415

Donate
Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:24 am
View Likes
Eros wrote a review...



Hi there!!

This is Eros here to write a review for this beautiful story!!

The itle is indeed very attractiv and catchy. It is well related with the story. I liked the main idea and the theme of the story. I liked how you hav descibed the feelings of the characters. I like how Judy co-operates and moves away when Robert asked her if she could give him and Elle a minute away. I like ow the story proceeded. How Robert saw her in the library and fell for her. I like how you have described Elle's sbsorption in the books and Robert's absoorption in clicking the photos. Beautiful story.

It was unique. The choice of set of the words you have used gives a cuteness and sweetness to the story. I like your art of describing things and talent of writing. God has bless us with a gif of writing.
Keep writing...
Nver cease...
Because we all love to keep reading such AWESOME works like this one!
Have a great day/night!!
:D




NerdGeek says...


Oh, thank you so much, Eros. It really means a lot to me that you like my writing so much. I definitely will keep writing, thank you.



Eros says...


You are welC! xD



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 487
Reviews: 107

Donate
Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:59 am
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX wrote a review...



Greetings from The Swordsman!

First off, I would like to say that I thought This was a cute and wonderful story. Reminds me a lot of when my wife and I met.( Though it wasn't over books and photos.) But enough about the past. Into the review.

Your structure is good and your dialogue feels very natural. I did have some trouble with figuring out how old the characters were. At first I thought that they were college age and then it directly states that there in high school about half way through. Might just be me, it sort of took me by surprise.

I do have a few mentions that I notice

"He also saw the melancholic expression on her face as she nearer to the final chapter." I think you were missing a word before 'nearer'.

I also agree with Laurenh6, there is a bit of a jump from Robert asking Ellie out and then them suddenly being there. My suggestion would be a few sentences about the excitement they feel as the day is approaching. Just something that really gets the idea across that they are really happy about finding each other.

I really liked the story and it had good flow. I also liked your characters. They were very real, as in they were relatable. Robert was a little nervous. Ellie was a little shy. They both fit perfectly. For a short story it was a great job.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tale with us and I hope to see more from you in the future.

Happy Writing!




NerdGeek says...


Wow, thank you so much for your review. It's very helpful and I'm glad you pointed out the "nearer" situation--I hadn't noticed that. I'm planning on lengthening the story over the span of a few more years of their relationship, so I'll definitely add that bit before their date.

Thanks for your help!



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 3737
Reviews: 93

Donate
Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:39 pm
View Likes
Laurenh6 wrote a review...



Hi there! First off, I'd like to say that you've wrote something really cool here - it's actually quite relatable the whole dating scenario. Makes me think of first dates I've had :P . I like the way in which you've described Robert as being particularly observant in the first paragraphs.. I like how you've described what he notices about her, and how you've written it in a lot of detail emphasizes that it was obviously quite a special moment.

However, as the story goes on I feel that you need to vary your sentence structure a bit - there's a lot of "he noticed" and "she noticed" etc .. just describe it in different ways to make it more gripping. Like, I dunno, "she twitched her nose with delight and noticed Robert was staring with bright, wide eyes" - not the best but you get my drift :P.

Also, I like how you have used little bits of humor .. The whole thing about "they geeked out together" and the last sentence being "Mission Ellebert is complete" made me chuckle. It's awesome how you've concisely added a little bit of informal humor and that's something a lot of writer's struggle with so well done!

Another criticism I have - there is a big jump between Elle getting asked out and to when she's getting ready for the date... you could have described how they felt, how they reacted etc in more depth for a clearer image. A little too fast paced in my opinion.. Furthermore, the speech in that section being "Oh you look so cute..." needs to be on a separate line.

Furthermore, I don't know if it's just me but the idea of how she wanted to go on a motor cycle was first mentioned on the date right? I would personally just quickly mention it in discussion beforehand so the reader follows onto this idea.

Moreover, the movie date and restaurant is very brief. You really built up the idea of this date and you need to show the reader that the date is all that it has been made out to be. So I'd suggest you use more description to give better imagery. And the kiss, probably should be described more for more impact. However, I like your idea of under the "moonlight" - very romantic :P.

I hope I could help you with this - I think it's really great though so well done ! Keep writing :)




NerdGeek says...


Thank you so much for this review! It's really helpful. I'm thinking of lengthening this and describing their relationship over the years, so this was just to test the idea--I'm glad it worked out. For sure, I'll apply your suggestions when I finish with the plot outline and actually start writing.

One thing: I've never been kissed before--do have any suggestions as to how to describe a kiss?

Thanks again for your help. :)



Laurenh6 says...


Ahhh okay yeah I'd love to see it in more depth! Describing a kiss - well it's quite soft.. As its their first kiss you could say they were like trembling, heart thumping etc - out of nerves. And if it feels right you get a sort of warm happy feeling inside afterwards and can't stop smiling :P . I hope this helps xD




the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren