z

Young Writers Society



Why I do what I do . (A supervillain's justification for his actions)

by Nanobot


I was too human in the past. T'was my only flaw. Would do anything to fit into the world I lived in. Followed the rules of society as if it were religion. Bit my tongue and kept still with each stinging crack of them whips by those that call themselves masters. Misleading words and cruel actions. The helplessness I'd feel in the midst of it all .

I did have love that eased away the pain and stress. My Latina doll. Word had it that I was far too submissive to her but...if submission isn't love, what is?.

I'd do anything she'd ask of me at once. No questions asked. She was mischievous yet compassionate. She was my reason to live. I knew she was the one. My bride. My beloved .

It's funny how we sometimes chance upon certain matters when it's far too late.

I bought a bouquet and hid the ring within one of the black roses,and risked following her to her studio, where she absolutely forbade me to go .

I watched her crack their necks and bash their teeth in with her green spotty fists. Piercing each of them civilians with her steel needle like teeth. She looked beautiful in the midst of all that bloodshed, like the moon in the dark sky .

I watched the whole scene in fantasy, till I noticed my cruel master, one amongst those to be slaughtered.

Something broke within me. My heart stung a little. He was there because of me, I assumed. She wanted revenge on my behalf. Something sparked in me. I was man enough to crush my own enemies. She didn't need to do what was supposed to be my act of wrath against the old man. I felt a sudden power surge through my veins. The thought of having the hands that whipped me crushed to putty beneath my feet was invigorating! I felt red hot ,like a volcano ready to erupt! I felt so alive! Before I knew it, the door was on fire and I walked in , my eyes red with excitement. I half expected her to yell at me . However she was stunned only for a moment, after which she nodded and gave me way. The flimsy old man, scared to his wits , promised to treat me better ,promised a promotion and a great deal more. Tried to have me sympathise with him and spare his life for the sake of the son he did not father well. I squeezed his lips blue between my fingers. Fake beings like him didn't deserve to exist. Tears welled up in his eyes, much like it did in mine everyday, so I stuck my burning fingers into his sockets, he needn't cry anymore.

"HEY FIRE FACE! LET HIM GO!" . I whirled around to see the angry teen holding a gun . It was funny, how the child of a villain could act so heroic. No ordinary bullet could harm either of us though. We were the evolved. I laughed as watched my doll run towards the pipsqueak, ready to devour. He pulled the trigger ...and I hugged his daddy till he was ashes.

She growled in pain before the bullet knocked her out and the boy screamed as he tried shooting at me. Sure enough, he missed me. I dash across and grab my Latina and escape through the roof , leaving a trail of flames that eventually burnt the studio down.

That bullet was not an ordinary one, for that was the last day I saw my love breathe. My source of joy was no more. All because of that boy! He shot for the sake of his god forsaken sinful brute of a father. Sure enough, the father was dead, but the son deserved more than death for this... and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger yes? Oh that boy was going to pay... . His life was going to be like mine or worse. I'd guarantee it till death.

I still do kiss my beloved before I head to work everyday, sure she doesn't talk , but she's still company. Work is challenging and fun. I've always loved playing catch ...catch and kill. Fooling all those who know him and scaring them beyond their wits... Especially with fire you see...

I'm not alI cruel though. I only incinerate their insides and ensure their perfectly intact on the outside . Like dolls.

And I always make sure to leave my toys for him after I'm done playing with them .


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 10071
Reviews: 86

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:15 am
reikann wrote a review...



Hello! I clicked on this because, hey, supervillains, who doesn't love those?

Firstly, what did I like?
I like the concept here, of expounding a supervillain's backstory.
I like the worldbuilding that sneaks in, with the hints at the evolved and bullets not hurting them. Also, superpowers. I especially like that none of it is stated outright, but rather shown. We're never told that the narrator has fire powers, but based on what he does, we can figure it out.
I like that the Latina is described as beautiful, but the only physical description that we get is 'green, spotty fists' and the needle teeth, as opposed to her being some lovingly detailed classically attractive woman, as one'd expect.
I like that the villain has a villain and that the villain's villain seems despicable as well. (However, I get the sense that the narrator isn't telling the whole story, but why would he? It's his story.)
I like that you can follow the villain's story that is being told here, despite everything that's left out. There should be pieces left out, when the narrator is as unbalanced as he seems to be, after all.

The prose here, overall, feels and looks unedited.
As a grammar thing, though I'm sure you'll get feedback on that soon (if you haven't already!), there are some reoccuring problems that should be easy enough to address.
I'm seeing some overuse of ellipsis - could be chalked up to state of mind - and plenty of spaces before any punctuation marks.
Exclamation points in non-dialogue are generally considered, while not incorrect, a faux-pas in descriptive writing. Ideally, the words themselves should carry the weight, not the punctuation. This isn't to say it can't be used - of course it can, there are no rules in writing! - but rather that it should be used sparingly. I count four here.
All caps dialogue, like exclamation points, is a general faux-pas acceptable in moderation or works aimed at a younger audience. As before, try not to use it if there's a way around it.

There are so many fragment sentences here. Most of them just occur because there's no personal pronoun before the sentence.
If this happened consistently, I might chalk it up to the narrator's fractured state of mind. The implications of this piece involve a narrator who isn't stable to begin with, and so disjointed thoughts would fall right in step with the rest. However, this fades in and out of using fragment sentences to the point where it feels more like it doesn't know whether or not it's on purpose.
For example, in the first paragraph, the first line is a full sentence beginning with 'I'. The third, fourth, and fifth lines seem to have forgotten that. Six and seven are just fragments.
Maybe this is what you were going for. Maybe not.
Oh, and on that second sentence, which I skipped over intentionally: t'was? It's not wrong, per se, but out of place. Why?
The other one-word issue which shouldn't be hard to fix - 'in fantasy'. Perhaps 'in fascination' would fit better?

For content critique, the main things that raise questions seem to be the ones that 'are' because of what this is the backstory for, i.e. a supervillain backstory vs. the teenager.
I must wonder: why make his enemy stronger? Wouldn't that just make him harder to hurt? Why torment him with only corpses? Why does our villain even think that would work? The implication is that the villain has spent his life fixated on this boy, yet doesn't seem to have done much, except to other strangers. I don't know. Maybe this is addressed elsewhere, later, or never even relevant.

Overall, engaging concept that needs some punctuation and grammar edits.
Good luck in the future!




User avatar


Points: 325
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:48 pm
IridescentalLani wrote a review...



First off, this is amazing.
Secondly, none of this is meant to be taken offensively in any way, shape, or form. (Sorry if it comes off that way)
And finally, I have no organization skills when it comes to reviews. Sorry!

There are some minor problems with style in the first paragraph that don't quite make sense or sound off. If that's what you're going for as a rhythm of speech then you're doing great!
My only problem with the first paragraph is that you should make sure the sentences still sound/feel complete when you read them individually.
The third sentence could possibly flow a bit better if you added an 'I' in front of 'would'. Not saying you have to, but it might help.
If you're aiming for an unhinged villain trying to justify why he does what he does, you could list the ways he tried to fit into society with his reaction to the scenario.
Example: "I did everything I could do to fit into the broken society.
"Did I follow the rules as if they were religion? Yes. Did I bite my tongue and suffer in silence as the stinging whips beat my back day in and day out at the hands of my so-called masters? Oh yeah. Did I turn a blind eye to those cruel words and avoid taking the wrong path caused by peoples misleading actions? To the best of my ability. So really, it wasn't my fault."
Just an example, nothing you have to do.
Also, you said "...them whips..." instead of 'the whips' in the first paragraph. I don't know if that was intentional or not.
There is a space between your final word and the period within the last sentence of the first paragraph.

For the second paragraph, you ended with a question mark followed by a period. You only need a question mark.

The third paragraph, also a space between the final word of the last sentence and the period.

With the fifth paragraph (about the villain buying a bouquet) you have "...black roses,and..." you will want to put a space between the comma and, well, 'and'. There is also a space between the last word of the final sentence and the period in this paragraph as well.

Sixth paragraph, "...them civilians..." did you mean 'the' or is it a speech pattern for the villain?
Plausible corrections: "...steel, needle-like teeth." "...in the midst of the bloodshed..." Again, last word and period.

Seven, "...in fascination..." You had put 'in fantasy'

Eight. Instead of "Something sparked inside me." - seeing as you had started a sentence in the same paragraph with 'something' - you could possibly change it to "A fire sparked inside me."
"I felt red hot ,like a..." comma should be adjusted. I don't think you need an exclamation point at the end of the sentence seeing as you end the following sentence in a way that expresses the emotion felt at the time, which is also ended in an exclamation point.
"...and I walked in , my..." comma spacing.
"I half expected her to yell at me ." Period.
"...scared out of his wits , promised to treat me better ,promised..." comma spacing.
"...son he did not father well." The 'well' is not crucial to the composition of the sentence. It can be removed at your own digression.
"...into his sockets, he needn't cry anymore." You could change the comma to a period for a new sentence.

Nine. "'HEY FIRE FACE! LET HIM GO!' . " You don't need that period.
Caution for spaces between last words and periods in sentences for this paragraph as well.
"...harm either of us though." A comma between 'us' and 'though' could be added. Or you could simply remove the 'though' from the sentence.
"He pulled the trigger ...and I hugged..." you don't need the '...'s, a space would've done the job. If you are to keep the '...', then you'll want to have them either solely after 'trigger' or add them to 'trigger' and keep the other set where you have it.

Ten.
"She growled in pain before the bullet knocked her out." Adding the woman back in at this part of the story makes it feel disjointed. Try having it say that she's knocked unconscious or killed the last time she was mentioned seeing as the main focus is now on the boy and the villain.
Could change to: "The boy shot at me. Surely enough, he missed.
"I raced across the studio and grabbed my unconscious Latina before carrying her to the roof; a trail of flames burning in my wake that eventually caused the collapse of the building."
Mentioning the woman here works, seeing as the attention of the reader is torn from the conflict between the villain and the boy to the action of the villain. What is he doing? Fighting conflict with the boy. Now what is he doing? Escaping the conflict with his beloved in tow.

Eleven.
In this paragraph, you do a good job of working the woman back in again. It flows with the course of the story.
"...the father was dead, but..." You could change to a period to avoid a run-on sentence. Or a semi-colon. Whichever works best for you.
Capitalize the 'A' of 'and' after the '...'s.
"...you stronger yes?" comma after 'stronger'. Comma after 'Oh' in the following sentence.
You do not need a period if you use '...'s.
"...like mine or worse." Comma or period (I would use a period) after 'mine'.
"I'd guarantee it till death." Could be changed to "And oath I follow 'till my dying breath." If not, then just 'I' instead of I'd, and a period after 'it'. You might not even need the 'till death' part, but I'll admit, it does given off an ominous feeling.

Twelve.
I love your first sentence of this paragraph! Really gives the 'I'm-messed-up-in-ways-you-don't-want-to-understand' vibe! Just be careful of comma spacing and you're set!
Caution with the '...'s again.

Thirteen.
"I'm not alI cruel though." Change 'alI' to 'all" and add a comma after 'cruel'.
"I only incinerate their insides and ensure their perfectly intact on the outside ." Second 'their' should be 'they're'. Again, comma spacing.

GAH, I love your final line!
I honestly love everything about this! The idea, the story itself the detailed descriptions!
It's great! Just little nit-picky things here and there.

I love it!
Keep up the good work!





I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble.
— Rudyard Kipling