My Weird New Years Resolution...

by Myah06

[This isn't part of the story, but I recommend you read it to understand why it is..well, the way it is.]

Hello! I hope you'll all have a great new year! (At least better than the previous..) This short story I have here was supposed to publish on a website full of drawing prompts, but then I realized I made it too long and didn't feel like shortening it, so I thought I'd publish it here and hopefully make someone chuckle. :)

The prompt was 'Write about a character setting an unusual New Year's Resolution'. So uhm, yeah. Coming up with this in about an hour felt like some crazy fever dream, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless! Thanks for reading in advance :)

Read at your own risk! (Nothing particularly inappropriate, it's just absurd. Okay, I type to much..enjoy!)

Sidebar: She's writing in her notebook.

________________________________________________________

It’s 11:39pm on December 31 right now. I was watching the new years eve program on the news channel just a minute ago, I don’t think my family noticed but I was jumping and jittering at every word they said and slightly rocking in my chair sweating bullets, afraid at some point one of them would say they knew my secret. I feel guilty and disgusting. For the past month, I’ve been doing something vile, and now I’m regretting it every day. But I can’t stop. I get drawn back in every time, thirsty for more. I’ve kept it a secret, no one knows about it. Not my parents, not my older sister I normally tell everything, not even my boyfriend, ESPECIALLY not my boyfriend. Anyway, the reason I’m writing this is because I need to clear my guilty conscience. So on November 28th this year I was met with a decision I had to make, a decision I wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy…

“Go to the store or you can drink the cats' milk,” THAT was what my mom said to me after I refused to eat her dinner that was infested with dead tortured animals and said that I would just eat cereal (vegan cereal with almond milk of course), but there was no milk! And we were snowed in, there was no way I was driving in that. But even if I was willing she probably wouldn’t have let me, she got me a car for my birthday but she’s terrified and won’t let me step foot inside. Anway,

So I stormed to my room angry and hungry. I must’ve been delirious, but then again, maybe not, maybe it was survival instincts. Anyway, I went to my room and after a while I considered… I wasn’t going to be hurting our new mama kitty in any way. And if she LET me get some milk like the wonderful mother she is, there’s nothing inhumane or wrong about that at all, right? I remember when I was thinking that my stomach made a loud growl because I hadn’t eaten all day due to a porky breakfast that was served. It settled my decision. So that same night while everyone was eating dinner paying no attention to me I went to Pearl just like any of her kittens, low to the ground and slurped some milk, it was really good! And since then it’s just been replacing meals for me. That was until a couple of days ago, she stopped giving milk.

But I was craving cat milk more and more, it was too good to let go.

So lately I’ve been going over to a friend's house to pet and plant sit since she and her family have gone on vacation. And luckily her cat recently had kittens before she left, so since Pearl’s all out of milk I’ve been able to spit some milk in bottles and take them home from Lucy’s my friend's cat for food later. I think I have a problem. I’m seriously addicted. I keep imagining once she’s done giving milk how I’ll look for some alley cats, and it’s tempting. But what would my family think if they found out? What if my sister walked in right now and snatched up this paper? I’m disgusting. But I can’t stop. I like it too much. Also, sorry to you, whoever’s reading this. I’m dumping this in the ocean come new year. Anyway, I probably should have said this sooner, but my new year's resolution is to stop this cat milk-drinking addiction, or at least reduce it to only 6 bottles a day. Pray for me. I really don’t want my boyfriend to break up with me, thinking I’m gay or something for this if he ever found out because I’m not. No offense if you are. Anyway, it’s 11:58pm right now and my sister has been banging on the door for the last 5 minutes so we can get ready to count down the ball drop. I told her I’m doing girl stuff but she probably knows I'm lying. I've gotta go now.

I really hope your new year will be better than mine is looking right now.

j.b♡

2008 

Myah06 says...

Wow...I can't believe I wrote this only 2 years ago..What was going through my head? LOL. I'm trying to start diligently writing but hopefully the stories will be better than this. I Re-read all of y'alls comments and you are all too sweet!

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:14 pm
something says...

Hi,

I thought that this was a bit weird but in a funny way. It was written like a normal diary or journal entry but with an unusual yet kind of believable situation, which I thought was great.

Anyway, I thought this was great! Really good and funny read :D

Remember to keep writing!

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:08 am
creaturefeature wrote a review...

hi uh i haven't reviewed in a hot minute

anyway let's see

, I don’t think my family noticed but I was jumping and jittering at every word they said and slightly rocking in my chair sweating bullets, afraid at some point one of them would say they knew my secret.

ooh intriguing. there's a lot of ways to imagine what kind of secret this would be since you left it kind of open-ended in a way. i like it like that though because it's an easier way to create suspense when suspense needs to be created. the image of "something vile" brings a lot to the mind and it sets us up to prepare for some big revelations to be named later on. being intentionally vague is a good way to develop a storyline.

although i do agree with the other reviewer on how mixing something so suspenseful with a topic like humor can be quite the something. if it's done right, it can really get a good reaction out of your readers. if it's done in a way where it's either too contradictory or one part is in the focus for too long, there can be some issues. if whatever is said in the punchline does not work, everything will end up not working together.

Not my parents, not my older sister I normally tell everything, not even my boyfriend, ESPECIALLY not my boyfriend.

oh? this is interesting. if this is getting into what i think it may be getting into, i'm not really sure how that will turn into a joke later down the road. there are many ways to twist this part of the story and it's all focused on expectations mixed with what is typically used by comedians for that satire effect. adultery jokes are inherently not that funny, but when they are delivered in a funny way, people end up laughing at them.

“Go to the store or you can drink the cats' milk,”

i honestly don't see how this has anything to do with the previous paragraph to be honest because it's just not similar at all. if this leads into the punchline, i honestly can't see where this is going at all. shock humour is exactly as it sounds because it's just that, shocking, but it's also really hard to get right because of how widely it varies.

i could also bring in the "I refused to eat her dinner that was infested with dead tortured animals" line as shock humour too. i assume that the joke of this story is that the main character is vegan, which is a character trait i suppose. although i must say that the caricature of "angry vegans" is insanely overused in comedy.

I went to Pearl just like any of her kittens, low to the ground and slurped some milk, it was really good!

*crickets*

well, we're just going to ignore this part, even though it's probably the main actual "funny part" of the story from what i've read so far. it's funny, but only if your view of what's funny is bathroom humour and what makes most people uncomfortable. that's not a bad thing at all, but it does mean that most viewers will be put off by it.

also is this considered animal abuse? i think it probably would be.

so since Pearl’s all out of milk I’ve been able to spit some milk in bottles and take them home from Lucy’s my friend's cat for food later.

i do think this has potential to actually be humourous, but i do also believe that most of the humour it's trying to have is incredibly niche. only a small population of people will find this truly funny, and that's fine. you just have to find your audience and commit to making them have an enjoyable time reading. satire and satire writings that appeal to the whole world are hard to come by, so i wouldn't fret it at all if i were in your shoes.

happy writing!
- tweezers

Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:20 am

Okay the fact that this is in the humor category but we're starting off with what appears to be something opposite in tone here. I guess we're going to see a bit of a punchline soon enough, and for now this sort of start does draw you in as a reader, so I think this is off to a neat start here.

Hmm...well that was quite unexpected. I don't know if I've ever seen this particular idea before, well at any rate it would certainly qualify as strange if nothing else because it does almost seem like it shouldn't be possible. Well...at any rate, as a reader, I am definitely hooked now to see what on Earth could possibly happen next and what new year resolution could come from a moment like this.

At this point I honestly find myself a little confused on whether I should be laughing or just feeling sympathetic here. You've phrased things in such a way that it sounds like a very genuine problem and you just find yourself feeling a bit sorry for this person who is going through a rather odd but genuine problem. I don't know...I just don't quite manage to find anything funny though..I dunno.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:12 am
josierae98 says...

Hey Myah06,

Wow, just wow. ;)

This was such a funny little read. Definitely didnt see that coming. Keep up the writing, dont really have anything to add or suggestions to make. I will say never in my life have a read something so strange ;)
Happy New Year!!!

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:10 pm
Myah06 says...

This is fiction told from a first-person perspective by the way! :)

HONK
— The Golden Goose