12+

Sorry, I Don't Believe In LOVE

by MyGlassHeart

Sorry, I Don't Believe In Love

I am not the same person i used to be. No... Not at all. I used to be the gentle girl who preferred the serenity of the backwoods than to the bustling and impersonal city. Now i only dream to lay down with pine needles crowning my hair and twigs digging in my back to just relax... Relax like we were meant to.

She used to think Love was a kind soul, rich in mercy and flowing with grace she was so very wrong. High school changes a person. So deeply, so richly. She told me what she discovered one day while we were hiding from classes in the bathroom. She had put the toilet seat down and sat down, keeping the stall door open with her feet that were crossed at her ankles. She had her hands folded behind her head and relaxed, while she stared at the ceiling i thought how normal it would be to see her bring out a cigarette and start smoking it. I shook the thought form my head as she started to speak:

"When I started high school I believed that love was beautiful and pure but difficult and still the world accepted it. Then the next year i found that love was nearly impossible to find and that it picked the people who could have it as if it was a secret society where only few got in and stayed alive, and obviously i was not one of those people. But now we're on the down slope of it and im starting to see that maybe its a little bit of both: everyone can have love, everyone can give love. But only few are strong enough to get through it together and unshattered."

She picked up her head and looked at me.

"We have one left, at the end of it all check in with me then and we'll see how it all ended."

I felt as if that was my cue to leave, that she silently and invisibly shooed me away back to the bores of class. As i sat in class for the rest of the hour I pictured her sitting there on her porcelain throne thinking about the meanings of life, love, and why we are insane enough to deal with it all day in and day out. Maybe she finally did pull out that cigarette and stick it between her lips. But never lighting it, she would never give power to something to didnt deserve it, and in her eyes a cigarette it not deserve to have to have the power to kill her.

"Thats only reserved for special people there Freshie." I can ear her whisper.

I saw her around school once more she was walking down the hallway so graceful she wasnt walking down caging hallways of high school, but when i blinked again she was gone. I may have seen her once but I never spoke to her again, i never even knew her name. I will never forget our bathroom conversation: her talking about Love and me leaning against a disgusting bathroom sink staring in awe at the presence before me.

By the end of the school year a month later, the school spoke about how she left. She wouldn't leave unless she had a reason... Just poof gone. Just bang gone. I guess its my job to see where we end, with the theory on love, "We have one left..." Her notebook was filled with numbers just numbers, numbers, numbers. I think she was really onto something that day... It looked like she was ticking down to a deadline. There was a pattern with everything she said... Believe, unbelief, belief.... One month. Unbelief.... Unbelief would be next... Thirty-one days. Maybe she knew all along... And on June 1st she reached it, just bang and she was gone. 

TheSliv16 wrote a review...

I think this is very well written and deep. It gets to the heart of the matter which I really liked; there were no mixed metaphors or puzzling imagery that confused me. It was clearly descriptive which made it easy to read as well as beautifully written. As for the topic, I loved that you talked about love. I especially enjoyed how you put it into a high schooler's point of view because high schoolers are typically 'naive' about love. But having such a strong opinion about love with a younger character allows the reader to see that this feeling about love is so powerful (and so true) that it erases any sort of fantasy of love.

MyGlassHeart says...

Wow thank you so much, its great to have someone read your work who actually understands what im saying because not many people do so thank you. Like for many people Love is a tricky subject for me and writing about it helps me get a better grasp on it.
Well im so happy you enjoyed my piece im trying to post more but i need more points so im working on those.
Have a great day!

Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 am
SectorSeventyTwo wrote a review...

I think you hit the nail right on the head when it comes to young teenagers and the topic of love. In high school everyones looking for it and everyone wants it so I think you captured that feeling completely. This mysterious girl is also very charming, I was interested in her just by the way she sat on her "porcelain throne". Though I do have to agree with TenToTheFourth in the fact that the point of view is a bit jumbled. Though overall I don't think It affects the story a whole bunch, I was only very briefly confused, but I think it's certainly something to look at when you have the time. Anyways lovely job, I enjoyed!

MyGlassHeart says...

Thanks like i told TenToTheFourth it was only a quick write so no point really came to mind, but i am really glad you enjoyed it!

TenToTheFourth wrote a review...

This is powerful. The ambiguous ending works really well: there are always a few people who fade out of one's view after high school. This piece captures the emotional struggles of someone who wanted to find love at the point in life but could not, or ended up disappointed, one of many who sink into cynicism while still young.
The point of view; however, is a little confusing. There's a lot of discussion of what is going on in the cynic's mind, but the story is told by an observer who wouldn't usually have that knowledge. The narrator must be speculating, maybe projecting her own struggles onto the cynic, but the fact that she's trying to figure out what the cynic is thinking, not in total knowledge of the cynic's thoughts, doesn't seem to have been explored enough. If you choose to revise this piece, that could make it much stronger.

MyGlassHeart says...

Thank you very much, it was just a quick write so i really didnt have a specific point in mind. But if i ever do chose to edit it i will certainly consider ur advice.

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown