Short story (No title, hehe.)

by Musicaloo7311

I sighed and looked up from my book to take another sip of my frappachino. I couldn't concentrate on studying for my history test; I was too annoyed by the popular, preppy girls who occupied the table next to mine.

Sure, they were nice enough, if you enjoyed conversing with that type of girl. Personally, their bubbly chatter irked me and held no interest of mine. I'd rather discuss something intellectual than the latest episode of some MTV show. I smirked to myself as I put the book in my bag and stood up.

"Hey, Melissa," one girl called to me. I smiled in return and told them I had to go. They said goodbye and returned to their giggly conversation, which was most likely centered around Aaron Sandford, the captain of the football team.

Now, I know what you're thinking: Oh, this is another cliche story about how a witty, brilliant girl- as I like to think of myself- gets the most popular, cutest jock in school. Let me assure you, that most definitely will not happen. I'm not attracted to Aaron in the least. In my opinion, he's an un-intelligent, sexist pig. So don't fret.

I drove my mom's minivan back to the house and found my dad hard at work on his latest photography project. This week's theme was roof shingles. Intriguing, right?

After greeting my father- who was seated at the top of our roof, pointing his camera downwards- I entered my home and headed to my room. I crept into my bed, wrapping myself in my soft blanket, and cracked open another book; Trig this time.

My cell phone vibrated. It was probably a text from Sara or Chelsey. I didn't have many friends. My town seemed to attract a lot of people like Aaron or those girls I saw in Starbucks today, much to my dismay. Luckily, there were a couple people who were actually, well, interesting. Among them were my best friends, Sara and Chelsey.

Sara dreamed of being a published author, while Chelsey was bound to have her paintings hung in galleries across the nation. As for my career plans, I wasn't really sure. Perhaps I'd take up photography, like my father, or be a doctor, like my mother. Or maybe I'd teach. At a university of course; somewhere like Princeton, Harvard, or Yale.

------------------------------------

I awoke to the sound of my alarm clock buzzing loudly. I looked at the clock. 6:30. I groaned and rolled out of bed; then I proceeded to follow my school-morning routine: shower, get dressed, dry my hair, and eat breakfast. My dad had gone on his daily jog, and my mother was already at work; I had the house to myself.

Not for long, though. The doorbell rang promptly at 7:30, as it did every morning.

I answered it and greeted Chelsey, who happened to be my next door neighbor. Besides being an artist, she was really big on conserving energy, so she forced us to carpool together and pick up Sara, too.

"Hey, Mel," she acknowledged me casually, peering out of her favorite black-framed "nerd-glasses", as they were called. She was sporting her usual sleek, dark brown bob of hair and a graphic T-shirt with skinny jeans and a pair of Converse.

"Hi," I responded. "Let me grab my bag, and I'll be ready to go."

We took Chelsey's car to pick up Sara, whose wavy, dirty blonde hair was perfectly messy and clothes soft, light, and not without a few ruffles, as usual.

"You guys! I've got it! I've really got it! The perfect story idea," she said excitedly on our way to school. "You see, this girl is a social outcast- an exile-"

Chelsey and I groaned in unison. "Come on, Sara, you've pitched that to us a thousand times and dumped it a thousand and one times! Why don't you just sit down and write it already?" I complained.

"Yeah, it's not that hard to put some words together," Chelsey chimed in.

"Not that hard? It's called writers' block, Chels," Sara argued.

"Oh, there's too many ideas floating around in this world to prevent one person from writing. But painting. That takes inspiration," Chelsey replied.

"Come on. It can't be that challenging to paint a few squiggly lines," Sara told her.

"Squiggly lines?" Chelsey repeated. "My art always represents a meaning, thank you very much!"

"All right, guys; cut it. We have reached the school building," I broke up the debate, imitating our principal's low voice with a laugh. This was how it was every morning: a meaningless argument (we were teenage girls, after all) between Chelsey and Sara while I served as moderator, or, in some cases, just as a spectator.

"So we have," Sara commented as we got out of Chelsey's Hybrid.

It was a pretty normal morning: homeroom, Trig (I think I aced the test), and then Biology. In Biology, we got a new student. This happened fairly often; we lived in a popular town. The new guy was pretty attractive and receiving heaps of attention- there was no doubt about it. Immediately, the preppy girls were welcoming, to say the least.

After about five minutes full of eager "Hi! I'm ..."'s, Mr. Crawson, the Biology teacher, instructed the boy to sit next to me. This was customary, too. Being valedictorian (or the only one close to achieving it, anyway) I was always assigned the task of catching up the new students about what we were doing in class.

He took his seat and introduced himself with a friendly smile. "Hi. I'm Ben."

"I'm Melissa. Nice to meet you. Where did Crawson say you were from?"

"New York," he said.

"That's funny; you don't have an accent."

"I move a lot, so no dialogue really sticks," he laughed. "My dad's in the military."

"Oh, I see. So, those preps sure are welcoming, aren't they?

"I usually don't label people," he chuckled, "but if the Jimmy Choo fits..."

"So, I was supposed to catch you up on our class. We're on the eukaryote right now. It's-"

"Oh, I already know what that is."

Hmm. Maybe they were on a different curriculum schedule than us.

"Have you done dissection yet? We're about to do that after the test on mitosis."

"Yeah, I have. I was kind of in an advanced class in New York."

"Oh, okay." So he was cute and smart.

"Yup. My dad's been bugging me to beat out whatever bozo is up for valedictorian this year," he laughed.

"That would be me."

"Well, bozo, good luck to you."

"The same to you...bozo. Who says bozo, anyway?"

"My father, apparently."

"Apparently. Well, after today- which it would take me to catch up any normal new kid-" I smirked, "you can pick your own seat, so you won't have to sit by the bozo. I wouldn't want you to feel compelled to cheat off of my paper."

"Hmm. I may have to stay here. That way, you can copy off of my paper, in order to have a slight chance of beating me," Ben grinned.

"Sure."

The bell echoed throughout the school, signaling that it was time for lunch.

"So, Ben, do you want to sit by me at lunch so I can cheat off of your lunch tray, too? I mean, I need to know how to answer the fake meat," I laughed.

"Of course," he replied.

We walked into the school cafeteria together, he attracting stares of admiration while I received jealous glares.

"Ahh, the main headquarters of a stereotypical world," Ben sighed.

"Mmm-hmm," I hummed in response. Sara and Chelsey were smiling at me approvingly. The idiots; I hope Ben didn't see them.

After making our way through the line, we sat down at Sara, Chelsey, and I's usual table with our lunches.

"Chels, Sara, this is Ben. He transferred from New York. Ben, this is Chelsey and Sara, my best friends," I said.

"Hi, Ben," Sara smiled.

"Hey! So, New York, huh? Why would you leave such a place?" Chelsey asked. She'd always dreamed of living in New York.

"My dad got transferred. He's in the military," Ben explained. "Nice to meet you two."

"Nice to meet you, too, Ben. That's a great name! I think I'll use it in my next story..." Sara mused.

"Sara here's a writer," I laughed.

"I could tell," Ben chuckled.

"So, when do you think you'll be moving again? Your dad in the military and all..." Chelsey inquired. Wonderful. I finally meet a good, intellectual, sweet guy, and he'll be running off before I know it.

"I don't know... Maybe I'll convince him to say this time," Ben answered, smiling at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd just like to add that:

A) I want this ripped to shreds.

B) I think the main problem with this piece is the dialogue. I think it can get too over-the-top, apparent-that-I'm-trying-to-make-them-witty at times. Any help on that? Any comments at all are greatly appreciated!

Love,

Music

SakuraFallsSweetly♥ wrote a review...

I liked most of it. She is very independent and I admire that. The only thing that was off to me was when she says she doesn't like popular guys, then she goes and falls for a popular guy? That got me confused. It's a good story though and all in all I enjoyed reading it and would like to read more if you are planning on writing it. Keep it up sweety. Ttyl . x x x x x x

Musicaloo7311 says...

Oh, darlings! I meant for this to be a short story, not something to be continued!

I really appreciate the critiques, you guys!

lisalulu09 wrote a review...

Hi. :D

I really liked this. It seemed very original and like it could be a very entertaining thing to read. :D So apart from...

My dad had gone or his daily jog

which has a typo in it, this seems fine to me. More, please. :)

Saphirra wrote a review...

I couldn't concentrate on studying for my history test; I was too annoyed by the popular, preppy girls who occupied the table next to mine.

I think that the phasing is fine in this sentence, but I think that instead of the semicolon, replace it with a 'because'.

I groaned and rolled out of bed; then I proceeded to follow my school-morning routine: shower, get dressed, dry my hair, and eat breakfast.

once again, the unnecessary use of the semicolon. its not a big thing, but i'm just nit-picking.

i think this is a really cheap way to describe a person. try spacing out their appearances.

ok, i really think tha this is a good beginning. Don't worry about the witty part, everyone does it, and its okay because their teenagers. it'll be fine. I liked the main character, so keep me posted on this story!
oh, and feel free to review my works, hidden evil and shattered mirrors
-Sapphira
xoxo

WhiteTiger93 wrote a review...

I was impressed at some parts and well, not so impressed at others. I mean none of it was bad - and I would just like to say that your writing is a lot better than mine - it was just that it seemed like you were trying too hard. It's good and I like how your dialouge is serious and fun, but sometimes it felt as if you thought too hard about what to make them say. Other than that, I really liked it. :-)

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:28 pm
RubinLikes2Write wrote a review...

well you said you wanted this ripped to shreds soo if you didn't mean it then stop reading here...

ok well after the introduction and when ben comes into the picture saying he's in advance bio and stuff i had a total Degrassi flash back. In my opinion it was a little stupid and over used. In the beginning your character said that she wasn't attracted to the hot popular guys. Yet here comes along a hot popular guy and your character sighs. The only thing i guess is that Ben is smart. Tho then your putting a stereo type on the popular preppies saying that their dumb. You could go into more detail saying that the preppies got bad grades but how does your character know that they don't have a good home life? Or if they think if they show that their smart then they'll be labeled as nerds? I didn't like this piece at all and i see how your trying to go for the underdog feel but it really didn't come off that way.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Oh, dear! I guess I made a lot more mistakes than I thought I did! Haha. I should have known, considering I wrote it under a heavy lack of sleep and boredom.

I should probably change the mitosis thing, because I forgot they'd studied that in Twilight. (If that's what you're referring to!)

I see what you mean about the tell vs. show thing. Perhaps I should omit the "Now, I know what you're thinking". I'm pretty sure that's the only "tell" part. Let me know what you think.

I hadn't decided where they were, so I decided to leave it out! Haha. Mmm. Where would a place with a lot of preps be? Maybe Texas? (No offense, Texans. Just thinking! Haha.) It seems like it could have a popular town but have people who want to move to more cultural places like New York.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:55 pm
Linx wrote a review...

Hi volleyball buddy! *snugs* I'm here to review! Thank you for giving me something!

I sighed and looked up from my book to take another sip of my Frappachino.

I'm pretty sure Frappachino isn't supposed to be capitalized, hon. :wink:

I crept into my bed, wrapping myself in my soft blanket, and cracked open another book, Trig. this time.

I know that it's proper when you put the period after trig since it is abbreviated. But, I don't know anyone who actually calls it Trigonometery (or whatever it's called. Don't ask me). So, to help clear up some confusion, can you take out the period please?

Also, that comma right there before Trig should probably be a semi-colon, because it's a run-on sentence with the comma.

Sure, they were nice enough, if you enjoyed conversing with that type of girl.

I feel like the if in this sentence should be italized, so it sounds like she emphasized it. It would sound and look really nice.

In Biology, we got a transfer student.

Err...isn't a transfer student who comes to your school for half a year or something, then leave and go back to their own school? If he just moved here, he would be a new kid. Not a transfer.

"So, I was supposed to catch you up on our class. We're on mitosis right now. It's-"

Do all writers like their Biology class to be studying mitosis!?! :wink:

Where?? - I know you said that Ben came from New York, but where are they at now? Do they have an accent? Give us a little more about the setting.

Also, I'm kinda confused about this. Is the MC telling the story? Because there is a lot more telling than showing in this whole piece.
Like this part:
Now, I know what you're thinking: Oh, this is another cliche story about how a witty, brilliant girl- as I like to think of myself- gets the most popular, cutest jock in school.

Huh? I'm just confused. Mind clearing it up a bit?

(I'll be back probably :D )

*Cat

The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening