And The Force of Nature Reigns Over

by Mochi

I saw it through the dirty glass pane of the window
Hidden behind the trees, up in the house's attic
And down by the river, down by the rocks, down by the creek
And the cliff and the wind and the sea far beyond
It was a day that was warm, time spent and gone as
The muddied clouds formed from the breath and water drops
Floating through the air and coming to a stop.

I saw the beast form above the water, the coarse wood panels
Left to remind me of some small sense of security, as it
Rose high above the trees, a sudden downpour of water –
Though only as it seemed – by the rustling and the breaking,
The creaking and the shaking. And the house rattled
As the beast continued on, jets of water and wind and land
With eyes made of ice and hands made of sand.

I saw it rise, this force of nature, this inorganic beast
As it outstretched an arm, and I took a step back, these
Coarse wooden panels barely the protection I need but
How to stay safe, though dead eyes stared back       
And I reached for a chair, in this deadened wood attic
Torn by the organic, living creatures that we see
And the beast cocked his head, and stared back at me.

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hi there, Mochi.

This is quite good. I really like it. Your meter is really good, and you don't use an obnoxious rhyme scheme to reinforce it. That's good. That's real good.

That being said, there are a few things I'd like to address in your poem.

In my first read through, I wasn't sure of where the narrator was until the last stanza. Make it clearer in the first stanza that the speaker is in the attic. I suggest, instead of saying

You say:
Hidden in the house's attic, behind the poplar trees

The first thing you introduce in a line is always the most important. Which is why for the first two stanzas I thought you were "hidden behind the trees" (I added poplar to preserve the rhythm). Also, put a period at the end of that line so the next part isn't so run-on-y.

The repetition is really working for me here. My only suggestion for this line is to make it the beginning of a new sentence, and omit "and" in the beginning.

Omit "the" before "breath" to preserve the meter.

I saw the beast form above the water

I think you should omit "form." It messes with the meter, and it doesn't really matter. You kind of described it forming at the end of the last stanza when you said the clouds stopped.

I think you should change "some small sense" because it messes with the meter as it is. Also, I think the internal rhyme in this line should be closer together. Perhaps you could say
Left to remind me that I had little security, as it

But it's your choice. You're the poet.

This line is a little long. And you've mentioned water already. So if you omit "water and" you'll have a strange, vivid image. Even better, switch land and wind. So you'd have "jets of land and wind." A jet of land? Isn't that strange? The storm you're talking about seems to be pretty strong. I like strange images, and this is the perfect opportunity to use one to make your poem stronger.

this inorganic beast

Inorganic confused me. It's a very organic thing, is it not? It's made of nature. I don't think it's quite the right word to illustrate what you're getting at.

this is definitely my favorite line. I can just see it so clearly. Lovely.

This is a great way to end the poem. It gave me shivers. Awesome.

I really enjoyed reading this. I hope this review was helpful. Happy poeting!

Cspr wrote a review...

I found the rhythm of this piece oddly soothing despite its topic. I believe this was because of the steady repetition you used. If you intended something other than this, I suggest finding synonyms for words you use once/more than once and avoid using the same phrasing you have before.

On another note, I suggest adding words that back more of a punch, or adjectives to describe the bare bones you have. Not just normal adjectives, either. Think of the first five or ten you might use, then cross those out and come up with others. Maybe even try to do this with your other basic words. This could help you come up with a more jarring, frightening feel, rather than the sensation of being rocked gently to and fro.

I also suggest you proof-reading this piece because there are moments where the grammar and/or word choice seems a bit off, especially in the last stanza.

Anyway, good luck with your writing and I hope this was a help. If you have any other piece that needs a review in the future, feel free to hit me up.

-Cas

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken