Breaking Dawn-Stephanie Mayer.

by MissMorose

Well, I can't say that I've been a big fan of Stehanie Mayer's writing, but I've read her books because they've been forced at me by my friends. At first, her plotline was good, I'll admit, I loved the whole 'love saga' feel to it. But Breaking Dawn.......I'll have to give a 3/10 at best. It was plain horrible, and it sort of brings down the other books. My peeves:

1. Her writing style is painfully simple, and it takes away from her good imagination.

2.Plot Flaws. Like Edward getting Bella pregnant. According to Eclipse, THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE. It was implied by Rosalie when she was talking to Bella about becoming a vampire.

3. Jacob's character changing drastically for no reason., plus too many characters are introduced, and not much is said about some of them.

4.Everyone was geared up for the show-down with the Volturi, then...BAM!!! They all get together and realize 'Oh, it's all a misunderstanding!Let's kill our unreliable source then!!' What a way to waste paper.How about if Bella's new-born inadequacies got Jacob or someone killed during the battle?

5. The ending. It was happy...TOO HAPPY. Everyone got what they wanted, and it seems so plastic and fake. Every bad thing that happens is completely rectified, which makes for some really poor reading.

I'll leave the rest for people to find if they read the book.

Now, as for what I would have done...

I didn't have a big problem with the pregnancy (aside from the plot holes it causes), but the whole crazed anti-abortion side of things turned me off. Sure Bella loves her baby. But, like normal humans, she should consider it at least a few times and she would have at least a full term preganancy. I would have done the wedding and the pregnancy, but after Bella was changed, I would have made her more new-bornish and less conveniently perfect and powerful, and it would have come at the very end, to tie things up. Also, in Eclipse, if the pregnancy was going to happen,I would kill the whole speech by Rosalie about how Esme 'made do with them' as children. At the climax, I would have killed a few people, instead of making a huge build-up for nothing. The Volturi could have taken a few people down in my eyes. Plus, at the end, there would be a happy/sad moment such as if after a character's funeral, Bella gives birth to her baby (who by the way, does not grow so fast), and she and Edward make plans to change herself. Anything that leaves the reader saying "damn, that was one good series"

Alainna wrote a review...

Hey there MissMorose.

If you'd like to discuss Breaking Dawn than you may want to check out this thread as it has many replies to it already and you're more likely to get replies if you post there.

In the future, you may want to check to see if there is already a thread for a book before posting a new one - that way your thread doesn't get ignored. :wink:

All the best,

Alainna
xxx

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:51 am
MissMorose says...

I'd be VERY happy too if people can put in their comparisons of the book, their critiques and what they would have written differently
PS Who thinks the whole baby/unnaturally short pregnancy-thing seems too much like Anne Rice's Taltos and Lasher?

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica