16+

The Progeny: Chapter 38

by MissGangamash

Caius stirred awake and smacked his lips. His cheeks felt caked in crust and when he wiped his hand over them, he realised it was dried blood. Evie was curled up against him, her knees tucked against his chest and her forehead resting on his shoulder. The duvet had wound up in a ball on the floor so the only thing protecting their modesty was a thin white sheet that was knotted haphazardly around their entangled limbs. Knowing that Evie wouldn’t be awake for a while because of the new-born’s tendency to sleep in, Caius freed himself and padded around the room in search for something to cover himself with. After wrapping himself in the dressing gown he had claimed, he shut the bedroom door behind him and crossed over to the bathroom. Thankfully, it was empty. Robin’s bedroom door was still closed and so were Alexander’s and Varsee’s, but the noise coming from downstairs indicated that the latter two were already up. 

In the shower, Caius lathered up his body with soap and scrubbed the dried blood from his neck, chin and torso. All the evidence of Evie’s questing fangs had healed up but Caius couldn’t help but smile as he ran his fingers over the unscarred spots where the bite marks had been. He had Evie back. She had been slipping away but now she was back. Back with him. Evie may have a new Maker now, and Caius may have a new progeny, but his and Evie’s relationship went beyond that tethered binding. It always had and always would.

After towelling himself dry, he wrapped his naked body back in the old man’s dressing gown and headed back to the bedroom. When he returned, Evie was pulling on an olive green knitted jumper to go with her blue jeans. She popped her head out of the head-hole and beamed at him. “Hey.”

“Hi,” he replied and kissed her. She held him there longer than he had intended before she broke away with a satisfied sigh. She seemed to have scrubbed away as much of the dried blood that had painted her as she could but Caius caught sight of a spot of crimson in the crease between her jaw and earlobe. He ran his teeth over it to scrape the blood from her skin. She shuddered against him and held him loosely at the hips as he licked her clean.

Due to not having another outfit that he liked and fitted into, Caius shrugged on what he had been wearing the night before. Once they were fully dressed, they headed downstairs to join the others. Caius noticed a string of light from under Robin’s bedroom door as they passed and figured he was on the move, too.

When the two of them entered the kitchen hand in hand, they were met with kimono-clad Alexander grinning at them in the centre of the room. Varsee was relaxed in the corner, resting against the kitchen counter looking prim yet fierce as always.

“Hello there,” purred Alexander.

“Erhh… hi?” replied Evie hesitantly.

He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “So, I heard you two reacquainting hard last night,” he said while grabbing a chair and grinding his pelvis against the back of it, pulling a face of mock bliss.

Caius felt his cheeks flush and quickly looked down at the tiled floor. Oh, look, one of the corners is chipped.

“What do you mean, reacquainting?” asked Evie.

“Oh, please, like we all haven’t noticed you two being less mushy than usual. For a guy that is really into himself, I am also incredibly perceptive.”

Caius dared a look and saw Alexander giving Evie a knowing smirk while Varsee, in the background, attempted to hide her amusement behind a steaming mug of blood.

“I’ll tell you what it was, it was that vampire bar.” Alexander nodded affirmatively. “Seeing all that kinky shit, getting lost in the sexy vibe, really gets the blood pumping. You know what I mean, old man, don’t deny it.” He winked to Caius. In the corner of his eyes, he saw Evie bite back a smile. Alexander patted his flat stomach that was now exposed as the cord on his kimono fell loose. I’m pretty sure that was no accident, thought Caius. “Even just thinking about it is getting me going. I’m in serious need of a blood whore. One that won’t die on the way this time.” He spun to his sister. “Sis, could you do me the honours?”

Varsee pushed herself up onto her feet and grabbed the phone. Movement from behind made Caius turn around. Robin was standing in the doorway, his dark brown hair was ruffled and his jumper had dark stains on the front. “What’s going on?” he asked. His voice was gruff as if he had been gargling gravel.

“Did you have fun last night, kid?” shouted Alexander way louder than necessary.

Robin winced with a smile. “Hell yeah. It was the best night of my life.”

“That’s right! Vampires know how to party.”

Robin made his way into the room and stood by the fridge looking complacent.

“My sis is ordering a blood whore. Fancy sharing?” asked Alexander.

Robin gave him a queasy look and rubbed his stomach. “No thanks. I think I over did it last night.”

“Over did it?” asked Caius, alarm shooting through his insides.

“Relax, Caius, he didn’t kill anyone,” said Varsee casually as she dialled. “I kept my eye on him. He was fine.”

“Yeah,” nodded Robin. “There were just a lot of chicks offering.”

Yeah there was,” laughed Alexander, squeezing Robin’s shoulder. Robin giggled and pushed him off. Alexander watched him with a look of genuine affection as he rolled away from his touch. “Well then, I guess this blood whore’s all mine.”

“Whoa, this place is amazing. You must feel right at home,” commented Evie as her fingers ran over the records in the box Caius had pulled from the shelf.

Caius smiled, watching Evie’s hazel eyes light up from the doorway. “Yeah, Robin found it. I didn’t even know there were rooms back here.”

“Oh! I love this song!” She pulled out a record and slipped it from its sleeve before thrusting it towards Caius. “Put it on.”

With a smile, Caius took the vinyl and placed it on the turntable. A crackling sound filled the small box room as he carefully dropped the needle. Lionel Richie’s and Diana Ross’ Endless Love filled the room and Evie grabbed Caius by his jacket and tugged him closer. With a laugh, Caius crashed against her and held her close. Evie’s arms wrapped around his middle as he placed his hands on her hips. Caius let them music take him. His eyes fluttered closed as he held Evie, brushing his lips across her hairline. She sighed contently and began moving her feet, making the both of them move in a slow circle. He couldn’t help but marvel at how much had changed in one night. He thought back to how he had danced alone, filled with angst and pain and guilt. Now, he felt so much lighter. Like he and Evie were dancing on the clouds. The world suddenly felt right again. Well, his world anyway.

Evie was right- he did feel right at home. He felt at home because he had Evie in his arms.

A hoarse cry erupted from somewhere inside the house, breaking through the music.

Evie jumped back out of Caius’ hold and looked up at him, wide-eyed and panicked. It was notably a male cry. Alexander, maybe? Or… Robin?

An uneasiness gripped Caius’ insides and he turned towards the door. Seconds later, there was another scream. This time it was more like a high-pitched, broken wail- definitely female. “Alex!”

It was Varsee.

Footsteps were clattering along the floor. Without a word, Evie shot out of the room. After removing the needle to stop the music, Caius followed.

Robin was in the doorway to the kitchen, looking inside. Evie pushed her way past and Caius saw her stop dead, her hand on her mouth. Panic quickened Caius’ steps as he ran through the living room and followed Evie into the kitchen. He wrapped his arm around her from behind instinctively before looking upon what had made her face so ghostly pale.

Alexander was on the floor, his eyes rolled back in his head and his body juddering uncontrollably. He was foaming at the mouth, blood red froth seeping from his lips.

“Alex!” Varsee was wailing on her knees by his side, clutching his paisley shirt and shaking him. On one of the chairs by the table sat a young human girl with blonde hair down to her hips. She was crying into her hands as blood ran down from the two puncture wounds on her neck. “Alex! Wake up!”

“What happened?” asked Caius, not being able to make sense of the scene in front of him.

Varsee looked up and Caius’ dead heart contracted. Blood tears were running down her cheeks and were smudged around her temples. Her usual murky storm-like eyes were a terrifying, brilliant mixture of every colour imaginable. “He-he was j-just drinking. And then the next-the next he collapsed.” Suddenly, her expression hardened and she jumped up to her feet with the incredible speed of a vampire, and grabbed the girl’s shoulders.

The blonde girl wailed with terror as Varsee yanked her to her feet. “What did you do to him?!” She shook her like a doll, making her head loll backwards. “What did you do to my brother?!”

“I didn’t have a choice!” the girl cried. “He told me I had to!”

“Who told you?!” Varsee’s fangs unsheathed and the girl’s green eyes filled with new tears.

“He said it was needed for the cure! He tricked me!” She looked down at Alexander who was still having a seizure on the floor. “Oh my God, I am so going to lose my job!”

“You’re going to lose your head in a minute!” threatened Varsee, releasing the girl’s shoulder and yanking back her hair instead. “Now tell me what the hell is going on!”

“D-doctor… a doctor. His name… his name was…” She wailed. “I don’t know! I can’t remember! But he has a mansion. He- he told me you need to go there.” She looked down at Alexander. Evie had dropped to the floor by his side and was now smoothing down his sweat-soaked hair from his face. “He needs to go there. Otherwise he’s going to die.”

“Are you talking about Nico?” asked Evie.

The girl’s eyes widened and she looked down to Evie, nodding vehemently. “Yes! Yes! That’s his name. Nico… Nico… Bergan! Doctor Bergan!”

“And where does this Doctor Bergan live?” seethed Varsee, making the girl whimper.

“I know.” Evie bounced to her feet. “I’ll take him.”

“No.” Caius stepped in and grabbed Evie’s hand. “You can’t. He’ll bring you in, too.”

Varsee dropped the girl back onto the chair and spun to Caius. “Then what the hell are we supposed to do?” She looked down at her brother and bit down on her bottom lip, her fangs piercing her skin. “He can’t die. I’m not going to let him die. I’ll take him myself!”

“He’ll bring in any vampire he can get his hands on,” said Caius and he shuddered inwardly at the memory of his time spent in that basement.

“Then what are we supposed to do?” cried Varsee. She spun back to the girl who coward and began to sob. “If I take him to this doctor’s house, he can save my brother?”

The girl nodded.

“How, exactly?”

“I don’t know,” the human whimpered. “He just told me to tell them to go there after they’re infected. He is their only hope at surviving.”

On the floor, Alexander began coughing violently. Evie tilted his face to the side as he coughed up a jet of blood. A hoarse cry of rage filled the room as Varsee grabbed a knife from the kitchen drawer and speared it through the human girl’s chest in one vampire quick motion. Caius, Evie and Robin gasped in unison and took a step back. Varsee stood in the centre of the room over her brother’s convulsing body like a lioness protecting its young. Her blonde hair was marred with her own bloody tears and mussed up by her fingers. Smudged crimson marks covered almost the entirety of her face. Her whole body was heaving with rage.

Caius could only stare. To him, Varsee had always been as cool and calm as a statue. Seeing her looking so vulnerable and distraught was terrifying. She had completely shattered.

“I’m taking him,” she breathed out heavily. “I don’t care. I’m taking him.”

“You don’t understand who this Nico is. We do,” said Evie, fear breaking her voice. “Whatever he’s done to Alexander. He’ll do to you, too.”

“I don’t care.”

“But there is another way. We could call an ambulance. Maybe they could take him.”

Varsee scoffed. “Are you serious? Like they would care about us. We’re vampires, Evie. They wouldn’t help us.”

“We don’t have to tell them we’re vampires.”

“And once they find out, they’ll turn and leave. My brother doesn’t have enough time to wait around.”

“Maybe another human could help.” It was Robin. Caius had almost forgotten he was there, still braced against the door frame. Robin gulped and his dark eyes widened when everyone’s attention became focused on him. “Well, I mean, this Nico guy wants vampires, right? If a human brought Alexander to him… the human would be fine. Right?”

“And do you know a human willing to help a bunch of vampires?” asked Varsee, sounding irritated.

Robin looked to the floor and shook his head. “No.”

“Then why the fuck are you wasting time?!” bawled Varsee, then gasped when Alexander started having another coughing fit.

“Sis…” he wheezed.

Varsee dropped to her knees beside him and cradled his head. “Alex. I’m here.”

“I don’t feel too good…”

Varsee let out a weary laugh, sniffled back a sob, and brushed his hair back so she could see his eyes as they tried to focus on her. “You don’t look too good, either. But everything’s going to be fine. I’m going to get you the help you need. You can’t die on me, Alex. I love you.”

He smiled lazily, showing stained red teeth. “How could you not?”

Varsee sobbed with a laugh and pressed her forehead against her brother’s.

Suddenly, Evie’s eyes brightened with realisation. “I know someone. I know someone who will help.”

Varsee looked up. “Who?”

“A friend. He’ll help us.”

Varsee scoffed. “Oh, like the friend who almost got us all obliterated?”

Evie gulped. “No. Not him, someone else. I’ve known Eric for a while. We can trust him. I promise.” She patted the pockets of her jeans, looked to the door, and then her shoulders sagged. “I had his number. But you broke my phone.”

“I have his number,” said Caius.

Evie turned to him. “You do?”

He nodded. “When you left me, I saved his number in case I needed to reach you and you were avoiding my calls.”

“Little stalkery… old man,” coughed Alexander.

Varsee slapped Caius’ leg. “Get your phone then and call him!” She had Alexander’s body cradled against her and was rocking him softly. She planted a heavy kiss on his head as blood continued to run from his lips. He was still shaking but Varsee’s hold on him had contained it to just a tremble. “You’re going to be okay, Alex. I won’t let you die. I promised I’d take care of you. We’re going to get through this.”

“Sis… I need to tell you… something,” Alexander wheezed, grabbing at her blouse.

“What?” Varsee asked, “what is it?”

“I…” He choked and fresh tears ran from the corners of his eyes. “I… I killed Mrs. Braverman. She… was out… outside… made me jump… I freaked out… sorry.”

Varsee laughed, biting down on her lower lip. “I know. I know. I found her in her armchair with a broken neck. I knew her death wasn’t from natural causes.”

“…I’m sorry… she scared me…”

“Don’t be. It’s okay. You’re not leaving me. Stop admitting to stuff. You’re not going anywhere.”

Robin jumped aside as Caius whipped past him and up the stairs in a blur. He found his phone in the bedroom and spun to head back down the stairs but started at the sight of Evie in the doorway.

She stuck out her hand to him. Red was smudged under her eyes. “I’ll call him.”

Caius passed her the phone. “Does he know you’re a vampire?”

She shook her head as she fiddled with the buttons. “No. But I’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.”

“Are you sure you want to bring him into this? He’s the only human friend you have.”

Evie shrugged, a careless gesture Caius could tell was forced. “It’s our only option. Either that or Alexander dies.” Before Caius could say anything else, she turned her back to him with the phone to her ear. After a few rings, Caius heard Eric pick up. “Hi, Eric, it’s me, Evie. Look, I know we haven’t spoken in a while but I really need your help.”

“Oh my God, Evie! You can’t keep disappearing on me,” said Eric, sounding relieved.

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry. But look, Eric. I really need your help right now.”

“Okay. Okay, sure. What do you want me to do?” he asked, a lot more alert.

Evie hesitated a moment. “Could you meet me by the hospital in five minutes? Bring your car.”

“Erh… yeah sure. Why? What’s up? Are you hurt?”

“No. Not me. A friend. But I can’t take him to where he needs to go. Look, I’ll explain when I see you. He doesn’t have much time.”

“Okay. Okay. I’m heading out the door now.”

“Okay. Great. Thanks, Eric.” Evie hung up and turned to Caius. She passed him back the phone. “Nico’s place is only a short drive from the hospital. No point in Eric coming here then going back. We need to tell the other’s we’ve got to get moving.”

Caius nodded, slotting the phone in his jeans. The two of them joined the others in the kitchen.

“Eric’s going to meet us at the St. Mary’s hospital,” said Evie. “Varsee, can you carry Alexander there?”

Without a word, Varsee got to her feet, hauling her brother up and holding him bridal style. Taking that as a yes, they all made their way out of the house.

But as soon as they got to the gate, Varsee stumbled and almost dropped Alexander when a fit of sobs attacked her unexpectedly. Caius rushed to her aid and took Alexander from her. She bent double and began to wheeze. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” assured Caius, repositioning Alexander so he could hold him more securely.

Alexander’s head lolled back and dangled. He expelled a hoarse breath and peered up at Caius. He lifted his hand as if to caress Caius’ cheek but missed completely. “…be gentle with me, won’t you?”

“Come on, let’s go.” Varsee pushed passed after collecting herself. She grabbed hold of Robin’s and Evie’s hands and took off down the country road in a blur. Caius quickly followed suit, the extra weight being no problem at all. As he navigated his way to the hospital, he silently prayed that it wasn’t too late. Because, even though he wasn’t particularly fond of Alexander, he knew there’d be a huge, crater sized hole left behind if he were to die. Which would devastate Varsee. And if Varsee fell apart, it would have a knock on effect on Evie.

She had already had to deal with a depressed Maker who had been filled with too much grief and hate to be of any use- he couldn’t let that happen again.

Sonder wrote a review...

Hey Ganga. Here we are again! Hope your holidays were good. Onto the review!

Interesting advancements in this chapter. I liked how you made everything calm and perfect, Caius and Evie's relationship restored...when BAM. More drama from Nico. It was a good contrast of excitement, and I think you did well with it. I'm curious as to how Alex was poisoned/ what was in that blood whore's blood (if that was it) and how this will be resolved.
Unrelated, my favorite interaction was this:

Immature, but well written and humorous. :)

I have a few grammatical comments and other nitpicks for you, going through the chapter as I read.

“Yeah there was,” laughed Alexander
The "was" should be changed to "were", I believe, because they are referring to multiple women, correct?

Caius let them music take him.
Them -> the

The timing seems off at the point between Alex asking Varsee to call a blood whore and his scream. I don't think there was enough time for her to call blood whore, have her arrive, get comfy, begin drinking, and allow the poison to set in, all while Evie and Caius dance to one song. That would span maximum 5 minutes, and if I'm comparing the blood whore to, say, a pizza delivery, she'd need at least 20 minutes to get there and comfy, especially since they live in the middle of nowhere, right? I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but maybe have Evie and Caius dance to multiple songs, just to make the amount of time passing feasible.

Without a word, Evie shot out of the room. After removing the needle to stop the music, Caius followed.
Really Caius? Really? Haha. This part made me laugh because wow, that is a teensy bit heartless of him. 'Oh, my housemate and his lover are screaming? Better make sure the music is off.' I don't know if that quite fits his character, to be quite so nonchalant about his almost-friends' screaming? Maybe change it to that he forgets to turn off the music, so this romantic tune is playing in the midst of pain and blood and confusion? I think it would be a nice contrast to the scene and add to the drama.

“He-he was j-just drinking. And then the next-the next he collapsed.”
Next what? Next second? Next thing she knew?

Was the killing of the blood whore really necessary? That's just my morality speaking but it also seemed... abrupt and not addressed again. Couldn't she have just let her run away, or something? I don't know. It's not a big issue, I just felt bad for her.

Mmm... something about this conversation seems off. It's too casual for the emergency they're in, I think. And despite being her friend, Eric seems pretty laid back about asking whether she's hurt? If I cared about someone and they mentioned the hospital, I would immediately focus on that and check if they were okay before focusing on anything else they asked. I mean, she could have sounded less concerned and obviously not in pain, but wouldn't she have sounded slightly breathless in her concern for Alex? "He doesn't have much time," is pretty ominous, wouldn't Eric have reacted more to that?
I think this conversation should be faster, more panicked, and less conversational. Or even cut out the full conversation and just get Evie's side, with it from Caius' perspective listening in.
Side note: using a human is clever. Would they have discussed that for so long with Alex on the floor, however? Some things to think about.

“…be gentle with me, won’t you?”
Capitalize the B

Because, even though he wasn’t particularly fond of Alexander, he knew there’d be a huge, crater sized hole left behind if he were to die. Which would devastate Varsee. And if Varsee fell apart, it would have a knock on effect on Evie.

Honestly, this ending was choppy and defused the tension too much. He's analyzing too much when he's in the moment and that makes it less exciting for the reader. I would honestly just cut this out and leave it with "...he silently prayed that it wasn't too late." <- That's dramatic, a "dun dun DUN" moment, if you will. Once he goes into analyzing his relationships and how Alex connects to them and whatnot, you lose me. End it quick and sharp, leave the reader reeling.

Overall, good job. I'm interested in where this is going. See you next time. Keep writing and being amazing! :)

~Night

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean about the timing. I'll sort that out somehow.

Ooh, I actually like the idea of having the music still playing. Cheers for that! I like how you describe Alexander as Caius' 'almost friend' XD He's not quite there yet haha.

Killing the blood whore wasn't necessary yet Varsee still did it. It was to show how unravelled she is seeing her beloved brother in agony. She is usually the picture of calm and collectiveness yet her fury at the blood whore hurting her brother - even if it wasn't on purpose - drives her to murder without a second thought. Plus, she is a vampire. They might be more civilised than vampires in other sorts of things but murder for them is not as big of a deal as it would be for a human. In her mind, the blood whore deserved it. But I'm glad you felt bad for her because it wasn't her fault, and you could say her death rests on Nico's conscience too because he was the one who dragged her into the mess.

Caius does over analyse things, it's sort of his thing being so old and seeing so much. Plus, as you said, Alexander is only an 'almost friend' to him, so he's not as effected as Varsee and Evie are, and even Robin, who sort of looked up to Alexander. He thinks of the bigger picture.

Thanks for the review and your pointers :D

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 am
deleted868 wrote a review...

Hey there! I love this story of yours so much and yay, another chapter! This chapter was very interesting as it added something I wasn't expecting at all. All of your characters seem pretty invincible, so I was pleasantly surprised by what you did to Alexander. Bravo! I love twists like this and the way you introduced it to the story was really well-done. I was wondering if and how Nico was going to get reintroduced into this, since he is a very central character with the whole cure vampirism thing. I am curious to how he figured out about how Alexander could be hurt, but I'm guessing he must have heard about the dead person and then threatened them and all that. Smart. You know I was kind of waiting to see where this story was going, since that last chapter ended way more cheerfully than basically all of the past ones, so I was definitely feeling pessimistic for this next part, and I guess I was right. I honestly love it when characters I like have to go through a ton of awful stuff; I'm not sure why but I feel such a connection to certain characters, and I kind of want to see them struggle, just to make their ultimate finish that much more well-earned. This seems to be happening in this story, and for that, I thank you wholeheartedly.

Let's see, I loved the description at the beginning. I was a little creeped out by all the dried blood, but I liked how you kind of got into Cauis's head and told the reader of how he reflected on the actions of the night before. I sometimes forget that these characters are vampires - I love how different everyone of them is and they seem like they could exist in real life, which I absolutely adore. Don't worry: I realize really quickly that they're supernatural creatures once the talk about blood starts up. Alexander's actions in this really cracked me up. Perverted jokes are funny when written smartly, and you made it seem like this seriously old, super strong and scary vampire, was nothing more than a rather inappropriate young adult. I love that so much! How Evie and Cauis reacted made it so much better and more realistic, something I could also easily relate to real life, which maybe isn't the reason you wrote them like that, but I appreciate it either way.

All in all, this chapter brought with it a great twist, rather like

Sherlock *cries*
and anted up the worry, fear, and angst spectacularly, yet still managed to be light-hearted at the beginning. The few mistakes I saw in this didn't even seem obvious to me - I read this super fast because I was dying, but overall you did a really great job grammar wise. There were a few cases where you either didn't put a comma instead of a period, such as "she mumbled." should be "she mumbled," since the dialogue is still continuing, and that the "..." isn't really necessary, but you didn't capitalize "...be gentle" which I think should be "Be gentle" instead, but that's definitely your decision. Well I loved this chapter! I hope you write more soon, but take care of your life first please. I hope this helped!

I'm glad you've caught up on the earlier chapters before reading this one because of the shift in the storyline that will follow what's happened. Nico is a big part of the story and the earlier chapters will help flesh him out for you.

Awful situations build character! And Alexander has had plenty of those in his life, and is about to go through a hell of a lot more. He's my favourite character out of everything I have written because of his struggles and the way they have shaped him into who he is now. I'm talking as if he is an actual person but he is like my baby XD

I'm glad you like his pervy little jokes, haha. They are a little tongue in cheek sometimes but you've gotta love him for it. I think he pulls them off well. And I strive to make my characters realistic because even if the storyline is amazing, if the characters don't seem real, it's hard to connect with any of them. They are vampires but they are people too <3

More will be up soon :D We're onto the 3rd part of the book now, woo! (This is my favourite part) I'll let you know when I update!

deleted868 says...

Hey! Yeah I am too! Can't wait! Yeah Alexander is the best! Poor guy XD. Yeah he really does pull them off well. I love all of them so much! Yay! Give me more woo!

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf